Chiefs tight end Leonard Pope saves six-year-old from drowning

Denver Broncos v Kansas City Chiefs Getty Images

On an NFL news day featuring the latest Kenny Britt mishap and not else, it’s great to pass along a story of heroism.

The Americus Times-Recorder in Georgia reports that Pope saved a six-year-old child from drowning over the weekend. Anne Moore, a family friend of Pope, says Pope heard her cry for help at a pool party.

“All of a sudden, I saw Bryson going down in the water and I started screaming. Leonard was inside, and he came out of nowhere and dove into the water without any hesitation, cell phone in his pocket and all,” Moore said. “He saved my son’s life, and I am so thankful that he was there for me and my child.”

Moore has known Pope since he was a kid.  As she points out, there are indeed some positives to the lockout.

“My prayers were answered by God when Leonard jumped in and saved my son,” said Moore. “The fact that he is normally at camp and could have been in Kansas City just proved to me that he was placed here to save my son from drowning, and I thank God that he was here.”

As Arrowhead Pride points out, Pope was not interviewed for the story and was not trying to get attention for it.

There’s not much else we can add other than: Nice work, Leonard.

Permalink 80 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
80 Responses to “Chiefs tight end Leonard Pope saves six-year-old from drowning”
  1. ICDogg says: Jun 13, 2011 4:49 PM

I was hoping he came out of the pool with the kid and said “You owe me a new phone”.

2. touchdownroddywhite says: Jun 13, 2011 4:50 PM

“As Arrowhead Nation points out, Pope was not interviewed for the story and was not trying to get attention for it.”

That’s awesome. It’s always better to see somebody do good for the sake of doing good instead of enhancing their own reputation.

3. capslockkey says: Jun 13, 2011 4:50 PM

Nice job Leonard. Reminds me of when Tony Gonzalez saved some guy from choking in a San Diego restaurant years back. Of course can never forget the similar heroic act of Joe Delaney that cost him his life in the process.

4. sickcuz says: Jun 13, 2011 4:51 PM

What’s also underreported is this is how MOST of the players are.

5. jpmelon says: Jun 13, 2011 4:51 PM

Good job….I like the fact that you pointed out he has not looked for praise. From the sounds of it, he did what any normal, decent person would do. Good story.

6. seabreezes51 says: Jun 13, 2011 4:52 PM

Leonard, no matter what goes on in your life, from here on out you will always be a hero for this family, and others that remember this.
    Good job, man

7. hobartbaker says: Jun 13, 2011 4:52 PM

Leonard the Only, Pope of Americus Village, shows he actually can go deep and come up with a catch when the pressure is on.

8. packerfaninfl says: Jun 13, 2011 4:54 PM

Figures there was a Pope around little boys!!!

Seriously though, stand up guy! He has my respect :)

9. skoobyfl says: Jun 13, 2011 4:54 PM

God Bless Pope.

10. tngisgeek says: Jun 13, 2011 4:54 PM

As a football fan, it is really nice to hear about a player doing something good and not screaming for attention. I would much rather hear these types of news stories rather than players being obnoxious, making it rain, or getting arrested.

Way to go Mr. Pope, you are what all NFL players should be!

11. stugie says: Jun 13, 2011 4:54 PM

Awesome to see they gave the honor to God!!!!

12. staff2cj4td says: Jun 13, 2011 4:56 PM

he should of stopped before he jumped in, called ESPN and said he plans to take his life saving skills into the pool…..oh wait……HE’S NOT A LaDouche!!

NICE WORK LEONARD!! really good football – GREAT HUMAN!!

13. citizenstrange says: Jun 13, 2011 4:56 PM

That reminds me of the time that Frank Sinatra saved my life.

I was in Las Vegas and walking in the alley behind the Sands when out of nowhere two HUGE goons grab me and just start beating the crap out of me.

I’m trying to cover my head with my arms and protect myself but these two are just really laying into me when all of a sudden Frank Sinatra walks up and says “Alright boys, that’s enough.” — Shecky Green

14. ironhawk says: Jun 13, 2011 4:56 PM

She honestly believes “god” caused the lockout so he could save her son? Why didn’t he just not cause the boy to drown in the first place? Sounds like her god is just playing games.

15. medtxpack says: Jun 13, 2011 4:57 PM

good move on his part, next up, Save the NFL and end the Lockout.

16. bobulated says: Jun 13, 2011 5:00 PM

It’s hard to read that and not think of Joe Delaney.

17. threegriffons says: Jun 13, 2011 5:03 PM

Excellent story! Lockout or no, these are the types of stories I want to hear.

A true Hero.

18. whodeyx says: Jun 13, 2011 5:04 PM

Always good to hear to positive side of the lockout (as opposed to what De Smith ate for lunch and what Kenny Britt got arrested for this week).

Somewhat unrelated, but is anybody else completely miffed that these people would have a pool party where nobody except the kids and Leonard Pope could swim?

19. doggz109 says: Jun 13, 2011 5:05 PM

Nicely done sir.

Although I have to wonder…..this was at a pool party? I’m assuming other people there?

So were there no other able bodied people around that could jump in a backyard pool and help this kid out? If there were…..shame on you…damn.

20. marty2019 says: Jun 13, 2011 5:06 PM

The article says Leonard Pope was the only person at the pool party that knew how to swim.

That just seems crazy to have a pool party and only one person knows how to swim.

21. Earl Westlake says: Jun 13, 2011 5:07 PM

A true hero. How many people would fold in that moment and look around for someone else to jump in? Sounds weird, but that’s what often happens. Pope didn’t hesitate and deserves all the praise he gets for this.

22. pacificamjr says: Jun 13, 2011 5:09 PM

6-10

23. RexCanCoach says: Jun 13, 2011 5:09 PM

Awesome story, we need more of these and less of Kenny Britt, Reggie Bush and the other hundred malcontents.

24. 1buckeye76 says: Jun 13, 2011 5:10 PM

Nice work indeed. Its good to hear positive stories like this.

25. footballfanman says: Jun 13, 2011 5:16 PM

The kids mom just sat there as her son was drowning in a pool. Can she not swim either was her cell phone too expensive to jump in?

26. rskills says: Jun 13, 2011 5:16 PM

Yayayayay!

27. bbgraf08 says: Jun 13, 2011 5:21 PM

Good Samaritan move, not even looking for credit.

28. therealsmiley says: Jun 13, 2011 5:22 PM

Now THAT is a hero…hats off to you Leonard Pope.

29. goeagles55 says: Jun 13, 2011 5:23 PM

So this means the lockout can end tomorrow?

30. The Baseball Gods says: Jun 13, 2011 5:25 PM

Not to throw cold water on a good heartfelt story, but the following is a quote from the news article:

“Moore said that Pope was the only person at the party who knew how to swim, so if he wouldn’t have been there she knows there is a good chance that her son could have drowned.”

Now how exactly was there nobody who knew how to swim at a pool party?

31. steelerspiratesbruins says: Jun 13, 2011 5:26 PM

A great story. Hats off to you, Mr. Pope!

32. evilzorac says: Jun 13, 2011 5:26 PM

For ever douche bag like Britt thank goodness there is someone like Lenoard Pope.

Great job Mr Pope!

33. abr173rd says: Jun 13, 2011 5:27 PM

A family friend at a pool party? So basically every one was partying and not paying attention to any of their children- or the child fell in and no one jumped into the pool to get him including his own mom…….

Good job Leonard, but I would have been more impressed if it happened in a lake or some where that accidents like this could happen. Not at a pool party were apparently parents were to busy partying instead of supervising.

34. jcdavey2011 says: Jun 13, 2011 5:28 PM

great story, something good comes out of the lockout

well done pope

35. abr173rd says: Jun 13, 2011 5:29 PM

Well I just read the actual article which is more hilarious, a bunch of kids were in a pool at a party were Leonard was the only adult who knew how to swim…..Wow this reeks of publicity stunt.

36. bsreimer says: Jun 13, 2011 5:31 PM

Pretty cool stuff if I may say so myself

37. seymourlove1229 says: Jun 13, 2011 5:33 PM

God Bless Leonard Pope!

38. minebitch says: Jun 13, 2011 5:36 PM

So he jumped into his own pool a grabbed a child from drowning??? Really?!? That’s a news story???

39. ffootballontwitter says: Jun 13, 2011 5:37 PM

There are so many deserving NFL players that are not gloryhounds and therefore don’t get a lot of ink. Thanks for posting this.

40. gregjennings85 says: Jun 13, 2011 5:38 PM

Good stuff, Leonard.

Also, at 6’8″, 264 lbs, there literally is no ‘deep end’ for Pope.

And…he is encouraged to run around pools.

41. rcunningham says: Jun 13, 2011 5:41 PM

Applause

42. alpod says: Jun 13, 2011 5:45 PM

why didn’t she save the boy?

43. finsuppatsdown says: Jun 13, 2011 5:45 PM

As much as football players get made into “heros” it is nice to see one of them actually live up to that title. It is players like this that give me hope for the NFL. Good job young man.

44. drevilstolemymojito says: Jun 13, 2011 5:45 PM

I’m happy to see that it worked out better for Leonard Pope than it did for Joe Delaney. Joe is still sorely missed by many.

45. Slackmo says: Jun 13, 2011 5:48 PM

The NFL lockout has now saved a life.

46. benh999 says: Jun 13, 2011 5:51 PM

What else can be expected if you give your poor kid a name like Bryson?

47. radrhatr says: Jun 13, 2011 5:54 PM

anybody on here remember Joe Delaney? if not, look check it out. it’s a great story!

48. warmachine2112 says: Jun 13, 2011 5:57 PM

Good to see some positive news once in a while. Kudos, Mr Pope.

49. dg0122 says: Jun 13, 2011 5:58 PM

Awesome!

50. seahawkhuskyfan says: Jun 13, 2011 5:58 PM

Awesome!! He just picked up a fan

51. nyjalleffingday says: Jun 13, 2011 5:59 PM

From Arrowhead Pride: “Good to see there is at least one Pope out there looking out for the well being of children.”

52. jebdamone says: Jun 13, 2011 5:59 PM

i think we all needed this story. with all the idiots out there getting arrested and causing trouble, along with the lockout in full force, i was very happy to read this story. good work leonard, i hope in the future we see more stories like this and fewer about terrible rap albums and idiotic arrests.

53. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Jun 13, 2011 6:00 PM

Considering the slow news day, come on man!

“On an NFL news day featuring the latest Kenny Britt mishap and not else..”

I think you mean “much else”. Or maybe you meant “nothing else”? Who knows…..

54. calhounlambeau says: Jun 13, 2011 6:02 PM

The women said she saw her boy in the water. So if Leonard Pope wasn’t there, Anne Moore would have just stood there and let her boy drown in the pool while she watched? I think a women is capable of jumping into a pool and bringing a kid to the surface.

Exactly Anne, God made the lockout so when he decided to have your baby boy almost die in a pool, Leonard Pope would be there…People are retarded.

55. tramonisland says: Jun 13, 2011 6:02 PM

“Moore said that Pope was the only person at the party who knew how to swim”

Definitely great to see a positive story on PFT once once in a while and I am happy for Pope and the family of the child but can someone please explain to me who throws a pool party for a bunch of people who don’t know how to swim? Unreal…

56. thomas2727 says: Jun 13, 2011 6:06 PM

Hats off to Mr. Pope.

Truly a selfless act.

I remember reading about Drew Rosenhaus saving a child from drowning a few years ago.

57. calhounlambeau says: Jun 13, 2011 6:07 PM

How can people not swim? You move your arms, it’s the most simple concept imaginable. You can throw a cat in the water and it can figure it out in a couple seconds…..

58. harrythehypo says: Jun 13, 2011 6:12 PM

Great job and much respect from a Broncos fan.

59. tramonisland says: Jun 13, 2011 6:16 PM

Swimming lessons should be a requirement before starting 1st grade. No matter where a person grows up in this country they should have a basic understanding of the normal swim strokes and how to swim a few feet. If it wasn’t for the ignorant parent(s) in this situation, this would have never have been an issue.

60. vahawker says: Jun 13, 2011 6:48 PM

If you have a pool, wouldn’t you want to learn to swim in case someone(like one of your kids) who doesn’t know how to swim falls in?

Hats off to Mr. Pope.

61. cured76 says: Jun 13, 2011 6:57 PM

Post stories like this as often as you see them. Stories like these make athletes respected for a much better reason than whatever they do in a game.

Gogo Pope!

62. jlb10 says: Jun 13, 2011 7:00 PM

hadn’t heard the joe delaney story thanks for posting the link.
    it does remind me of tom mees. he was an espn hockey analyst. his daughter was drowning and he jumped in and saved her enough though he didn’t know ow to swim.

RIP and god bless to all 3 men

63. imatulsadawg says: Jun 13, 2011 7:15 PM

It’s cool to see a story about a NFL player in the off season that doesn’t include a police blotter report. It’s even cooler to see so many people respond. Deep down there’s good in all of us. (hear that owners and players? hahaha!)

64. apage53915 says: Jun 13, 2011 7:56 PM

As a Raiders fan I have to admit Mr Pope is awesome.

65. easyeddie says: Jun 13, 2011 8:35 PM

The Joe Delaney incident came back to me after reading about Pope’s heroics. God that was awful and inspiring at the same time…the whole “No greater love than one give one’s life for another.”
    Anyway, big props to Pope.

66. tmfchiefs says: Jun 13, 2011 8:53 PM

Great job Leonard. But I have a concern here. You have a pool in your back yard, yet your six year old doesn’t know how to swim? This is one of my biggest paranoia with my own kids. They’ve all been taught to swim almost as soon as they could walk. Just seems like the responsible thing to do if you have young kids that are around water on a regular basis.

67. veraky says: Jun 13, 2011 10:02 PM

Good for Leonard. While it’s surprising that no one else knew how to swim, and backyard pools aren’t usually that deep, the more I think about it it’s really not that shocking. Thinking back the only reason I know how to swim was through my PE classes in junior high, but with all the cuts to education I am sure field trips to the local pool got cut long ago. Besides, I can imagine most kids these days would rather play other sports or stay inside and play video games. I would hope stories like this would be a wake up call for parents and ultimately politicians who have made cuts to education (and PE is one of the first things seen as not essential) but unfortunately I doubt it.

68. jcdavey2011 says: Jun 13, 2011 10:11 PM

i remember a story about tony gonzalez inadvertently saving some reporter’s life, by hitting him on the sidelines…..not the same type of story, but i guess kc TEs are blessed

69. jcdavey2011 says: Jun 13, 2011 10:13 PM

also when tony G was a chief, he did this =

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A California man says Pro Bowl tight end Tony Gonzalez of the Kansas City Chiefs kept him from choking to death.

circa 2008

70. burntorangehorn says: Jun 13, 2011 10:27 PM

Good move, Pope. Some people just know how to react, and he did so without drawing attention to himself.

Say, anyone remember Colt McCoy’s saving that old man’s life on that lake in Texas when he was a freshman?

71. mechajaguar says: Jun 13, 2011 10:37 PM

We need more stories like this.

72. digirootune says: Jun 13, 2011 10:46 PM

The Baseball Gods says: Jun 13, 2011 5:25 PM

Now how exactly was there nobody who knew how to swim at a pool party?

—————————————————-
    Great story, and great job by Pope, no doubt.
    But this was a local story for me, and it was reported by the local news that the pool was only 3 ft. at its deepest part. Swimming was an issue?

Am I missing something?

73. fancyleague says: Jun 13, 2011 10:48 PM

The most astonishing thing about this is that they were attending the only swim party since Ancient Rome that didn’t have three dozen noodles laying around the pool.

74. raiderapologist says: Jun 13, 2011 10:50 PM

A pool owner has responsibilities. The two big ones are keeping the water clean and not letting anyone drown.

75. piemasteruk says: Jun 14, 2011 1:56 AM

“Leonard was inside, and he came out of nowhere and dove into the water without any hesitation, cell phone in his pocket and all”

This part of the story made me laugh. It was like most people would stand there thinking “hmmm, there’s a drowning child there, but my phone here is pretty expensive, maybe I should wait for someone else to help. Oh wait, maybe if I popped inside to put my phone on the kitchen counter first… no wait, the child looks pretty desperate… oh man, it’s so hard!!!”

But yeah, nice story, well done Mr Pope :)

76. mrznyc says: Jun 14, 2011 8:52 AM

What parent allows a child who can’t swim into the deep end of a pool? Nice there was someone there to save this woman from her poor parenting skills.

77. rdthomas1999 says: Jun 14, 2011 11:28 AM

Who says you need football for a football player to make a great play?

78. tstreet says: Jun 14, 2011 8:58 PM

I know this kid. We graduated from the same high school in Americus, Ga. He is a very humble young man. Good job Leonard! (Champ).

79. gooboy6 says: Jun 16, 2011 2:33 PM

swimming lessons for the boy might be a good idea…

80. waynefontes says: Jun 18, 2011 10:56 AM

seabreezes51 says:
    Jun 13, 2011 4:52 PM
    Good job, man
    ————————————————–

When you see a story like this, and you see thumbs down to a comment like that.. it’s both funny and sad.

To those 2-5 people who think it’s cool to give thumbs down to comments and stories like this, I feel sorry for you. You must live meaningless, pathetic lives and you go, “Hey, I’ll be cool! I’ll give thumbs down to comments about how Leonard Pope saved a six year old”

You think you’re cool and going against the grain.

You’re not. We’re not laughing with you, we’re laughing at you. At what sad, pathetic lives you have.

“Let’s give a thumbs down to people who praise Leonard Pope for saving a six year old and not wanting any publicity for it”…. yeah, you’re such a rebel….

Enjoy your miserable lives in your parents’ basement and asking people if they want to supersize their value meal.

Leonard Pope, you will always be a hero – doesn’t matter if you play in the NFL or not.

And to those who give thumbs down (including those that will give this one too).. I feel sorry for you, your sad life and the fact that you think giving a thumbs down to this story makes you cool.

It doesn’t. It just confirms what a loser you really are.