Columnist tells Rams fans it’s too early to panic about move

Stan Kroenke AP

The Rams were one of the five teams that AEG spoke to about a possible purchase and move to Los Angeles.

Of the group, they seem the least likely to go anywhere.  Excellent St. Louis Post-Dispatch columnist Bernie Miklasz writes that fans shouldn’t panic about the report.

“Judging by the way the story was played up by St. Louis television stations, you would have thought a fleet of moving vans was out at Rams Park, loading up Sam Bradford and the team’s other worldly possessions for an immediate transfer to LA,” Miklasz writes.

The reality is that the Rams aren’t likely to go anywhere.  They have a lease agreement keeping them in place until 2014.  More importantly, they have an owner in Stan Kroenke with local ties that waited patiently for 15 years to get full control of the team.  He just jumped through a lot of hoops to buy the team.  Why would he sell?

As Miklasz points out, Kroenke may not completely take Los Angeles off the table until he has an extension of his current lease worked out. That’s just how business works in the NFL, but it doesn’t meant the Rams are going anywhere.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, St. Louis Rams
15 Responses to “Columnist tells Rams fans it’s too early to panic about move”
  1. MichaelEdits says: Jun 13, 2011 10:07 AM

Honestly, who would want them?

2. dickroy says: Jun 13, 2011 11:04 AM

Take Jacksonville. They have the least tradition and history in their town. Take St Louis. They came from there anyway. Take Oakland. Nobody cares where they are. I would never want to see the Vikings leave the north country.

I am glad I don’t have to worry about my Steelers ever moving!

3. footballfan says: Jun 13, 2011 11:35 AM

I am glad I don’t have to worry about my Steelers ever moving!

**********

I would normally agree with you on that but hey, the Browns moved once!!!

4. vetdana says: Jun 13, 2011 11:37 AM

Why is it, in the NFL that the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence ? So very sad that once upon a time there was such a thing as team franchise and fan loyalty…..Not anymore !……Money rules EVERYTHING !!

5. rammerray says: Jun 13, 2011 11:43 AM

dickroy: You need to learn your NFL history. The RAMS are originally from Cleveland, not L.A.

6. waldoampere says: Jun 13, 2011 12:22 PM

I would feel bad for the people of St. Louis but the Los Angeles Rams does have a certain ring to it.

7. ampats says: Jun 13, 2011 1:37 PM

1 Vikings
    2 Chargers
    3 Jaguars
    4 Raiders

8. phinfan says: Jun 13, 2011 1:38 PM

Good luck to any L.A. fan trying to get to the darn stadium in rush hour or even regular traffic.

9. gergie1957 says: Jun 13, 2011 1:41 PM

So, let’s see, then they would be called the Los Angeles Rams. I’m having flashbacks here.

10. NoHomeTeam says: Jun 13, 2011 1:43 PM

MichaelEdits says: “Honestly, who would want them?”

Well . . . you do have a point — they’re not very good. Still, as a former Rams fan, I would be pleased to see them return now that the Powers That Be have permanently removed Georgia from her Ownership position.

St. Louis can keep the dark blue & metallic gold uniforms, though.

11. NoHomeTeam says: Jun 13, 2011 2:07 PM

ampats says:”The truth of the matter is the Rams really belong in LA as that is where they were originally but that is not going to happen as there are several teams more likely to move.

1 Vikings
    2 Chargers
    3 Jaguars
    4 Raiders”

Can I give you a ThumbUp and a ThumbDown?

Thumbs up for the first clause of your sentence.
    Thumbs down for what I fear is the truth in the rest of your post.

I could deal with the Jaguars becoming the Los Angeles Leopards, or something along those lines. As a transplanted Midwesterner, I’d really hate to see the Vikings leave MN. I rather like the Chargers right where they are, and the Raiders? Good lord, that’s just a non-starter! Can we station the CA National Guard along the Grapevine to block the moving trucks?

12. theytukrjobs says: Jun 13, 2011 2:18 PM

I still see the most likely outcome being LA not getting a team at all. And if they do get a team, it will be a team that has no buzz or popularity in its home region.

You always hear about the Vikings this and that, but I just don’t see the NFL allowing a team to move out of a top 25 metro (by population) where they are hugely popular to go to LA.

If they get a team, which is a big if, I see it being Jacksonville, San Diego, or Oakland.

Yes Cleveland moved once and it is a big city with fans that loved the team but that was also before revenue sharing where one guy could just up and decide to move a team.

13. dickroy says: Jun 13, 2011 2:29 PM

@rammerray
    I know my football history. I know they were originally from Cleveland and the Dodgers are originally from Brooklyn, but thats going way back. A lot of people only remember them from LA.

14. dafranchize says: Jun 13, 2011 4:08 PM

The St.Louis Rams aren’t leaving, and the BS about the Rams not liking their stadium is nothing but negotiation nonsense. What will really happen is that Kroenke will upgrade and do a Soldier Field type renovation to the Edward Jones dome.

The NFL has never left the same city twice and the NFL will not leave St.Louis. The Rams sold out every single home game up until 3 years ago and even then they still sold out more than half during the 3-13, 2-14 and 1-15 seasons. Last year not a single game was blacked out and the Rams sold out all 8 home games. The team is well supported here and Kroenke has been here in St.Louis since the move and has always stated he would never leave.

If AEG wanted the Rams so bad, where were they when former owner Chip Rosenbloom had them on the market? Thats right, no where to be found. The St.Louis Rams will always be the St.Louis Rams, and now that the Rams have Sam Bradford, the second coming of Peyton Manning, the team will be one of the hottest teams in the league. Just as Peyton turned a basketball town into a football Sam will do the same here in the StL.

So all you cry babies in LA who want the Rams…u mad?

15. ramcountry says: Jun 14, 2011 6:18 AM

@ waldoampere

St. Louis Rams has a certain ring to it also. SB champs, and already one player in the Hall(Faulk) with several possible to follow(Warner, Bruce, Pace)

@ NoHomeTeam

“Former” Rams fan? That’s lame. Especially since you’re not native to California yourself.