Plaxico Burress: “I beat myself up for so long”

Plaxico Burress AP

Plaxico Burress says that he spent most of his time in prison being angry with himself, and it was only when his release date was on the horizon that he decided to put his anger behind him.

Burress told ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith that he thought often about what a dumb decision it was to illegally carry a gun into a New York nightclub, but he finally realized he needs to move on with his life.

“I was the person that took that risk and chose to carry that firearm that night,” Burress said. “I was angry with myself for a long time. I beat myself up for so long. When I finally was able to let it go, I was 30 or 60 days away from going home and I was saying, I can’t get that time back. That time is gone. So I’m either going to grow from it, learn from it, move on, or just keep being angry. And I chose to put it behind me. That part of my life is over. I’ve learned a tremendous amount from it and now it’s time to take the next step.”

Burress said prison was even harder than he thought it would be, and he said he had particular trouble with the prison staff.

“The hardest part for me was just the authority,” Burress said. “Listening to the things the officers would say — degrading them physically, racially or whatever it might be — to hear people get talked to like that, even me sometimes, it was like, this place is not human.”

Burress said it was tough to share a prison unit with “rapists, murderers, pedophiles, everything that’s associated with jail and crime. . . . I didn’t think I deserved to be there.” But he said he’s sure he won’t be back.

“To come out of there and have your life come back to you so fast, everything hits you at one moment,” Burress said. “Relief, joy, happiness, love. You say to yourself, I’m never going to put myself in any type of situation to have anything negative happen to me.”

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
39 Responses to “Plaxico Burress: “I beat myself up for so long””
  1. medtxpack says: Jun 13, 2011 4:33 PM

“But he said he’s sure he won’t be back.”

Then stay away from Kenny Britt…

2. pacificamjr says: Jun 13, 2011 4:34 PM

lions should take a shot at him

3. pooponurface says: Jun 13, 2011 4:35 PM

Shot yourself to be exact.

4. hobartbaker says: Jun 13, 2011 4:38 PM

Plax was treated about as harshly as you can be for a stupid lapse of logic. It’s a credit that he was angry at himself and not the system.

5. trbowman says: Jun 13, 2011 4:40 PM

He’s right. Dude shot himself

6. tombradyswig says: Jun 13, 2011 4:42 PM

Good luck man!!

7. schemefactory says: Jun 13, 2011 4:43 PM

what kind of person carries a gun into a nightclub? what was he afraid of? himself. so, beating himself up sounds about right…

8. kd75 says: Jun 13, 2011 4:43 PM

Wow, Plax had a problem with authority while in Prison? That’s a shocker…

“The hardest part for me was just the authority,” Burress said.

9. 4ever19 says: Jun 13, 2011 4:44 PM

If he lived in Wisconsin, he’d be treated as a hero. But seriously, his sentence was too harsh for the crime (no, I am not a Giants fan; I shudder at the mere suggestion).

10. melonnhead says: Jun 13, 2011 4:48 PM

TMZ says that Plax lived in filth and was a troublemaker while in the pokey.

11. melonnhead says: Jun 13, 2011 4:51 PM

He’s right. Dude shot himself

——————————————————

He didn’t just shoot himself. He carried a loaded firearm not only into a bar, but into a bar in the middle of one of the strictest places in the country as far as firearm laws are concerned. Then he discharged it. In other words, he committed a few crimes. Therefore, he was right at home, whether he liked his “home” or not.

12. favrefan says: Jun 13, 2011 4:56 PM

Lions should cut Bryant Johnson and sign Plax.

13. melonnhead says: Jun 13, 2011 4:56 PM

——————————————————-

“The system” didn’t tell him to discharge an unregistered firearm in a club in Manhattan. You apologists make baby jesus cry.

14. breeshasabush says: Jun 13, 2011 4:56 PM

hobartbaker

I agree 100%

15. Mike Tomlin says: Jun 13, 2011 4:59 PM

I wouldnt have any concerns as a team about picking this guy up based on off field and character issues.

Being a 35 year old WR who has been rotting in a jail call for the past 2 years, well thats a different story.

16. brant76 says: Jun 13, 2011 5:03 PM

I don’t remember Cheddar Bob going to prison for doing the same thing.

17. jpmelon says: Jun 13, 2011 5:10 PM

Glad he paid his debt to society and is out of prison. The punishment seems extreme for the crime but then again, he’s really lucky he only shot himself…very easily could have hit someone else by being that careless with a loaded weapon.

18. august1969 says: Jun 13, 2011 5:11 PM

so…he was angry 30 -60 days ago and still has a problem with authority…

its so easy to spin things. he shouldn’t have been there. Plax + Moss to New England.

19. huskersrock1 says: Jun 13, 2011 5:24 PM

Sounds like he learned something, and it only took 2 years of prison.

20. seanb20124 says: Jun 13, 2011 5:25 PM

But he said he’s sure he won’t be back.

Anyone want some action on that one???

21. dohpey28 says: Jun 13, 2011 5:45 PM

Sorry Plax, don’t buy it. You put everyone in that club’s life at risk. You got lucky that bullet hit only you. If it hit someone else, you may have been one of those ‘murderers’.

22. richm2256 says: Jun 13, 2011 5:53 PM

“The hardest part for me was just the authority,”

No surprise there, this is coming from a guy who thinks laws and rules don’t apply to HIM.

23. chargerdillon says: Jun 13, 2011 5:55 PM

Being stupid isnt a crime for most.

For you it was well deserved

24. tinkletinkleonyourstar says: Jun 13, 2011 5:56 PM

sounds like he learned some humility, good for him.
    maybe a little prison time would have been good for other unnamed players that say for instance may have stabbed someone and obstructed justice or say maybe someone that killed another human being while driving drunk.

25. wetpaperbag2 says: Jun 13, 2011 6:03 PM

Going to jail for 2 years for “Cheddar Bob”-ing himself. Damn. From the sound of his interview, he “gets it.” Hopefully, he will head his own words.

26. fancyleague says: Jun 13, 2011 6:13 PM

Burress said it was tough to share a prison unit with “rapists, murderers

So it was kind of like going back to the AFC North.

27. jcd213 says: Jun 13, 2011 6:17 PM

Some people do learn from their mistakes in prison. Actions speak louder than words. He can be coached how to interview well and say the right things, but the ‘coaches’ can’t do the right things for him.

28. evrybdyhas1 says: Jun 13, 2011 6:23 PM

If that illegally carried and concealed firearm had shot someone else in the crowded public club you would still be in jail genius.

29. kingjoe1 says: Jun 13, 2011 6:36 PM

He didnt need to beat himself up, he could have simply got the cast of Housewives of NJ to do it for him.

30. melonnhead says: Jun 13, 2011 6:49 PM

He didn’t go to jail for shooting himself. He went to jail for breaking the law.

31. raijinnokumo says: Jun 13, 2011 7:35 PM

Plax confused the words “up” and “off”

32. Deb says: Jun 13, 2011 7:41 PM

His introspection and attitude are impressive. I hope he has enough left to enjoy some NFL productivity before retirement, and that he can make positive use of his experiences to influence others.

33. wallyhorse says: Jun 13, 2011 7:59 PM

What needs to be remembered is that NYC mayor Michael Bloomberg wanted him prosecuted to the fullest extent, but even without that, he likely would have anyway because of a law in New York State that requires a mandatory sentence.

If not from before, I believe the sentence Plaxico served was put in to prevent a repeat of what happened with Bernard Goetz (for those too young to know or remember, Goetz shot four youths he thought were going to rob him on a New York City Subway train just days before Christmas in 1984).

It also was not just about Bloomberg. Robert Morganthau was about to retire as DA after 34 years (1975-2009), and had to get the maximum sentence, as if he had not gone for the sentence Plaxico got, Morganthau’s hand-picked successor, Cyrus Vance Jr. would have have a massive fight on his hands to succeed Morganthau as Vance’s opponent, Leslie Crocker Snyder would have used that heavily in an ad campaign against Vance for Manhattan DA.

There definitely were politics involved, but there also was a mandatory law in play, and if Plaxico had gotten a lighter sentence, there would have been major uproars in a lot of other places of an athlete getting special treatment.

34. commandercornpone says: Jun 13, 2011 8:10 PM

i dont like plax or a lot of that kind of player.

and he was stupid. but, NY is clearly a jackass liberal state. no one else was harmed.

2 years was excessive. he didnt even kill a dog.

35. crubenst says: Jun 13, 2011 9:38 PM

————————————————

You obviously have no clue about little tiny baby jesus. Or full grown beard and mustache jesus either for that matter. He was the ultimate “apologist.”

36. pigeonpea says: Jun 13, 2011 9:58 PM

Actually, the dumbest part of this story is the one where “Texaco” shot himself in the leg. Seriously… What kind of idiot carries a deadly weapon into a crowded public place without the first clue about how to handle it safely? Plax deserved two years in the pokey for that dumbass move alone.

37. footballisfun says: Jun 13, 2011 11:58 PM

I’d like to see the Vikings give him a shot. Unfortunately, we don’t have a QB who could get the ball to him.

38. mjkelly77 says: Jun 14, 2011 12:22 AM

Plaxico Burress: “I beat myself up for so long”

No wonder. After he was wounded he was heard to say “When I find the fool that shot me, I’ll kick his ass”.

39. melonnhead says: Jun 14, 2011 12:17 PM

————————————————

——————————————————

Jesus is about forgiveness, not shifting blame or mitigating responsibility. Consider yourself enlightened.