Playing for the Jets appeals to Plaxico Burress

plaxico-burress-super Getty Images

Former Giants receiver Plaxico Burress is out of prison and starting to think about where he wants to play in 2011. And he says he’d love to return to New York — but with the Jets.

“It’s been thought about,” Burress said on ESPN, when asked about joining the Jets. “I am not going to sit here and front. For me to go to one side to the other side and win a championship in the same [city], how many people have done that? And do I have the capability to lead a team to a championship? Without question.”

Burress said he thinks there’s been a shift in the New York football landscape while he’s been away, and that includes Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez becoming more popular than Manning.

“Eli has won a championship and the crazy thing about it is it is almost that Mark Sanchez gets more pub than the world champion quarterback which is crazy,” Burress said. “And I’m looking at it from afar. The man went out and led the organization to a Super Bowl but for some reason, I guess Mark Sanchez is supposed to be better than the guy that has already won one.”

Burress says he’s open to playing for any team that’s interested in him, but there’s no question he likes the idea of playing for the Jets.

“Of course they are appealing,” Burress said of the Jets. “Ever since I came to New York, the fans have embraced me. It is a great city and a great town. It will always be a special place to me.”

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
23 Responses to “Playing for the Jets appeals to Plaxico Burress”
  1. berniemadoffsides says: Jun 13, 2011 6:06 PM

Keep waiting for them to call, Plax… not happening.

2. pacificamjr says: Jun 13, 2011 6:07 PM

no doubt, rex certainly wouldnt be shooting himself in the foot with the signing of Plax

3. trbowman says: Jun 13, 2011 6:10 PM

Remember what I said earlier about him being choosy?

4. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Jun 13, 2011 6:11 PM

After spending 20 months in jail, playing for ANYONE should be appealing, except for the “other team” that is. Not that there is anything wrong with that. (not meant to be offensive, but just a reference to one of the best TV shows of all time)

5. kcfanatic says: Jun 13, 2011 6:12 PM

Plus, its close to his parole officer.

6. drevilstolemymojito says: Jun 13, 2011 6:14 PM

As a part of his mandatory vocational rehabilitation program, Mr. Burress has studied reflexology and cosmetology (with a special focus on pedicures). He is therefore an exceptionally good match for Mr. Ryan and his Jets.

7. nyjalleffingday says: Jun 13, 2011 6:17 PM

I mean, I suppose if we lost Braylon, it would be worth a shot…

8. stvang says: Jun 13, 2011 6:19 PM

You’ll have to beat chicago in the paper champions bowl. Only then will you be able to hoist that sought after Ryan Trophy.

alot of competition this year but I like the not yets chance of 3 peating.

9. danimalk82 says: Jun 13, 2011 6:20 PM

Even though I hate the Jets it appeals to me too. I can’t remember, how much do football players make these days?

10. j0esixpack says: Jun 13, 2011 6:23 PM

New York might not be the safest place for him.

I heard they let the guy who shot Plaxico out of prison recently. He might be out for revenge.

11. ampats says: Jun 13, 2011 6:28 PM

Plax says,

“I guess Mark Sanchez is supposed to be better than the guy that has already won one”

Really who has said that fantasy?

I know he has been out for a week but you would think he might want to know what is reality in the world and not what Rex Ryan tells him in a pitch to be a Jet.

12. dylanmusicfane says: Jun 13, 2011 6:57 PM

in the words of Johnny Cash, “Don’t take your guns to town”

13. east96st says: Jun 13, 2011 7:12 PM

Allow me to summarize this and all future “Plax likes such and such team” articles – “I, Plaxico Burress, desperately hope some team will take a chance on me and in my fantasies there is a bidding war and I make a ton of money. Oh, and Drew told me to tell all of you I can win you a Super Bowl even though I’m a senior citizen by WR standards and a NFL QB hasn’t thrown me a pass in three years.”.

14. terrellblowens says: Jun 13, 2011 8:01 PM

He’s delusional if he thinks he can “lead a team to a championship.” For at least this season he is a role player who will have red zone packages for him until he gets his legs back. Then we’ll see what happens

15. rando74 says: Jun 13, 2011 9:01 PM

I thought Plax was required to play at least one game with the Raiders first. Doesnt a mug shot come with a free Raiders contract?

16. abninf says: Jun 13, 2011 9:38 PM

“And do I have the capability to lead a team to a championship? Without question.”

Wide receivers don’t lead teams to championships. And there is a question regarding you. Leadership has never been something you’ve been known for.

17. rcali says: Jun 13, 2011 9:43 PM

Yeah, not sure he’s capable of ‘leading’ anything except seminars on arguing with your coaches, showing up late to meetings, and making bone headed decisions.

18. corvusrex96 says: Jun 13, 2011 9:55 PM

“Sanchez gets more pub than the world champion quarterback which is crazy”

Plax,
    Not all “pub” is good.

Sanchez’s recent pub is allegedly tagging a high school junior. Any younger and he would be getting a lot of pub.

19. ezra954 says: Jun 13, 2011 9:57 PM

Its wide wide open just like the medias mouth to the jets and pats ready to take what Bill or Rex gives you like good little boys

20. jpmelon says: Jun 13, 2011 10:13 PM

The thought of Plaxico being a Jet probably makes Rex’s ass-crack start to perspire.

The funny thing is, it’s a perfect fit….Plax will be cheap and teams will devote coverage to him. The Jets are looking for cheap solutions now that they are having trouble with the salary cap***.

21. jaymc1988 says: Jun 13, 2011 11:18 PM

yes we love plaxico in NY but for the GIANTS!!! come back hommeee lol and i dont mean home to the jets(which is the same h ome) come back to the boys in blue(no pun intended lol)

22. tunescribe says: Jun 14, 2011 12:26 PM

Plexiglas Furnace a New Jersey Green Bean? Well, he has the right character makeup …

23. axespray says: Jun 15, 2011 4:41 AM

“And do I have the capability to lead a team to a championship? Without question”

^ on behalf of Justin Tuck/Michael Strahan: “You’re Welcome!”