Labor negotiations taking place in Maryland Tuesday and Wednesday

DeMaurice Smith AP

The latest round of not-so-secret meetings between the NFL and NFLPA* are taking place on the Maryland shore near Washington D.C. on Tuesday and Wednesday.

The two sides have seemingly given up the premise of keeping it completely confidential, because a number of national reporters all received this news around the same time, with ESPN’s Chris Mortensen starting the fun.  Mort says the two sides are in “deal-making mode.”

Albert Breer of NFL Network let us know the meetings are taking place somewhere along the Maryland shore.  The meetings are expected to last two days, which is similar to the setup for the setup the two sides have used the last two weeks.

We knew these meetings would take place, so the only news here is really the location and duration of the talks.  The meetings should give the owners plenty to discuss next week when they meet in Chicago.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
38 Responses to “Labor negotiations taking place in Maryland Tuesday and Wednesday”
  1. bsreimer says: Jun 14, 2011 11:38 AM

2. puppetmaster says: Jun 14, 2011 11:42 AM

The players have turned on deMORON. They finally realized this guy doesnt care about them at all, and he understands to save face and is career is to find a way to get any kind of a deal now with the owners

3. chicagoraven says: Jun 14, 2011 11:43 AM

I am from maryland.. The eastern shore of Maryland is not near DC.. If its on the shore of Maryland and near DC i would have to assume that its in Annapolis which makes sense being that its our capital. Believe me when I say there is nothing on the eastern shore that would entice a meeting there except Ocean City.. being that its senior week for all the high school seniors that just graduated Id be a bit worried about it being there on many levels.

4. whathappenedtovox says: Jun 14, 2011 11:43 AM

Once again, congrats to Bill Burt for being the first to break the story that a resolution was close.

5. eatingwings says: Jun 14, 2011 11:44 AM

get it done…progress has to be happening. Let’s see if the two major players eat out for dinner together again!!!!

6. eaglesfootballfan says: Jun 14, 2011 11:44 AM

Hopefully a deal will get done soon

7. reents says: Jun 14, 2011 11:46 AM

I know this guy isn’t popular, but I heard Colin Cowherd say last Friday, that the NFL is like friends with the NBA, so would wait untill after the Finals to make a deal and do it now, because look at MLB as a rival.

If your not into the NHL, basically baseball takes over today.

8. bobwhitequail says: Jun 14, 2011 11:46 AM

Amazing what removing the lawyers from the equation will do. Smart move by the players to negotiate instead of litigate. Looks like the players have some leaders smart enough to not have the lawyers manipulate them. Good job!

9. pftard says: Jun 14, 2011 11:47 AM

Getting the CBA labor deal done while cracking large blue crabs along the Chesapeake Bay and downing some cool beer…, priceless.

10. supersuckers3 says: Jun 14, 2011 11:48 AM

Crabcakes and Football. That’s what Maryland does!!

11. pantherfan89 says: Jun 14, 2011 11:48 AM

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!!!!!!

12. geeeeemen says: Jun 14, 2011 11:49 AM

bsreimer is marv albert

13. realitypolice says: Jun 14, 2011 11:49 AM

Last season I predicted a new deal would be reached in 2011 and its about to come true. I have ESP, and most importantly I took a couple of Business classes before so I know what i am talking about, unlike trolls on this site.

I also predicted it would rain some this spring, and also I predicted it would get hot for a few days this summer in the South

14. berniemadoffsides says: Jun 14, 2011 11:50 AM

Let’s Make a Deal

15. tombradyswig says: Jun 14, 2011 11:51 AM

Every day longer this for saken lockout lasts, that 9 BILLION stack of cash gets smaller and smaller!!

Get a deal done NOW.

Then fire DOO DOO SMITH and hire Troy Vincent!!

16. bmorelill says: Jun 14, 2011 11:52 AM

CRABCAKES and FOOTBALL!

17. brooklynbully says: Jun 14, 2011 11:54 AM

Lol these dudes don’t like working on Monday’s I see .they always start secret meeting On tuesday

18. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Jun 14, 2011 12:00 PM

I’m on my way over to help via chants and the usual nonsense.

19. hobartbaker says: Jun 14, 2011 12:07 PM

Players just wanted to make the point that they don’t need 6 months of training camp to prepare for the season.

20. derekjetersmansion says: Jun 14, 2011 12:10 PM

I’m pretty sure the owners realized that if they miss preseason games, they lose out on about $700 million. The pressure was on the owners to get a deal done, regardless of the lawyers being there or not.

21. myballsmyrules says: Jun 14, 2011 12:31 PM

derekjetersmansion says:

“No one is turning on De Smith. In fact, they’re getting probably a better deal now than if they agreed on March 10.”

***********************************
    :lol: yea, ok. Keep trying to convince yourself of that. :lol:

22. dysanx says: Jun 14, 2011 12:37 PM

I am from Maryland’s Eastern Shore. Chances are they are meeting at the Wye River Plantation (they change the name of it every year, it’s part of the Aspen Institute), often used as an international meeting center – a middle east peace agreement was negotiated there in 1995.

So basically this guy has no idea what he’s talking about.

——————————-
    chicagoraven says:

Jun 14, 2011 11:43 AM

23. derekjetersmansion says: Jun 14, 2011 12:42 PM

@ myballsmyrules

Why should the players cave? The owners need the money.

24. myballsmyrules says: Jun 14, 2011 1:08 PM

derekjetersmansion says:

“The owners need the money.”

************************************

I think the players need their paychecks just a lil bit more than the owners need money.
    You are hilarious

25. myballsmyrules says: Jun 14, 2011 1:11 PM

And the players know they cant win in the courts now. The owners have all the leverage. Another reason they are caving.
    18 game season
    reduced revenue sharing for the players
    increased disciplinary suspensions
    blood testing
    rookie pay scale
    All new items that will be part of the agreement

26. tterpsbball3 says: Jun 14, 2011 1:13 PM

How about Ravens Owner Steve Biscoitti’s Estate on the Eastern Shore of MD? I know that he has a farm/very large house on the Chesepeake Bay’s Shoreline. Could be used to hold a “secret” meeting…

27. outlawjerseywhales says: Jun 14, 2011 1:44 PM

I can think of several places in PG County where you could drop all the participants off at.
    Guaranteed there would be an agreement in place before nightfall!

28. derekjetersmansion says: Jun 14, 2011 1:45 PM

@ myballsmyrules

You think Jerry Jones’ new stadium pays for itself?

29. gtmann says: Jun 14, 2011 1:47 PM

I agree tha De Dmith is useless, but once a new deal is done he will have nothing to do. Let him finish out his contact (expires March 2012). Ther is NO way he can be re elected. I like Toy Vincent VERY much, but how abot Brian Dawkins? I would be very surprised if he didn’t retire after this season.

30. pcasten says: Jun 14, 2011 1:55 PM

They are probably meeting at the Gaylord hotel at National Harbor. Nice place for a deal to be done!!!

31. mswravens says: Jun 14, 2011 2:02 PM

WOW! I never woulda thought this would come down to a lesson in Maryland geography…but I was also thrown by the statement that these meetings are taking place “on the Maryland shore near Washington, D.C.”

@chicagoraven is correct that DC is NOT near the Maryland Shore…which is actually not referred to as the “Maryland Shore,” but simply the “Eastern Shore.” This ain’t Jersey, hon! However, Annapolis is NOT on the Eastern Shore either, so I part company with you there.

@dysanx is correct that Wye River is a logical meeting place on the Eastern Shore. It’s near Easton, MD, a renowned game hunting venue that George W. Bush & Dick Cheney favored. BUT, I wouldn’t say it’s near DC. Distance wise, it’s a good hour just to get from DC to the Eastern Shore…and that’s just to cross the Bay Bridge without heavy traffic…let alone where you are headed once on the Shore. Figuratively, DC and the Eastern Shore are two different worlds. Hell, people on the Shore think Baltimore is another world, and a godforsaken place. Imagine what they think of a cesspool like DC!!!

Anyway, I’m headed downy oshun on Tursday, hon…so if I’m needed, I’ll be right dere to hep out!!!

32. mswravens says: Jun 14, 2011 2:04 PM

I’m so happy these knuckleheads finally seem committed to working something out…

I absolutely hate that the low regard our society has for lawyers (much of it self-imposed) has taken another hit in the process…but damn am I happy football may be returning soon!!!

33. bigbeefyd says: Jun 14, 2011 2:14 PM

derekjetersmansion says:

“The owners need the money.”

************************************

Yeah, lots of owners out there borrowing $500K at 23% interest so they can get bling…NOT!

34. dysanx says: Jun 14, 2011 2:52 PM

Not to nitpick… but the Wye Plantation is not terribly close to Easton. Easton just happens to be the largest town in the area – it’s still probably a 30 minute drive. I grew up literally across the street from the place.

The Wye Plantation is just across the bay from Annapolis, and about an hour’s easy drive from DC when there’s no traffic. It’s actually not uncommon for people to live in that area and commute to DC every day for work. It’s definitely a feasible meeting site and it is not really incorrect to say it is “close to DC.”

To get back on topic, a middle east peace agreement was negotiated there between Israel and the PLO. It would be kind of ironic if peace in the Middle East was negotiated there but the owners and players couldn’t figure out how to split up a few billion dollars.

————————-

35. mswravens says: Jun 14, 2011 3:04 PM

@dysanx – not to nitpick, but how well did the Wye River Agreement work out for the Israelis and Palestinians? I’d agree with you that Easton is near DC before I’d agree that the Israelis & Palestinians achieved peace at Wye River – as much as I’m sure we all wish they had!

Isn’t Wye River past the 50/301 split??? Maybe it’s not as far over the bridge as I thought…

36. outlawjerseywhales says: Jun 14, 2011 3:19 PM

dysanx says:
    Jun 14, 2011 2:52 PM

“…a middle east peace agreement was negotiated there between Israel and the PLO. It would be kind of ironic if peace in the Middle East was negotiated there but the owners and players couldn’t figure out how to split up a few billion dollars.”

————————————————–

Hopefully the owners and players will be more successful since the Wye River Memorandum (1998) has proven to be not worth the paper it’s written on.

37. dysanx says: Jun 14, 2011 3:38 PM

Yeah, not very well. You’d still think that getting Israel and Arafat to sign the same peace of paper would be a bit harder than a bunch of rich guys figuring how exactly how much richer each party needs to be.

The site is just barely past the 50/301 split – you can google map ‘Wye Plantation’ to see exactly where.

————-

38. mswravens says: Jun 14, 2011 5:39 PM

@dysanx – so that puts it about 15 miles past the bridge, but i don’t mean to be splitting hairs.

Bottom line, I don’t think anyone from this area would refer to the Eastern Shore as “near DC”…I think near DC in Maryland means Montgomery or PG County. I wouldn’t even refer to Annapolis as near DC. Guy who wrote the article is obviously not from these parts. It’s either near DC or it’s on the Eastern Shore. It ain’t both!!! In any event, take care and enjoy this fine weather we’re having!!!