Report: Deal could come within two or three weeks

Goodell_Smith AP

Over the weekend, Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal reported via Twitter the existence of an expectation that a framework for a labor deal could come in two weeks.

Now, Mark Maske of the Washington Post reports that sources on both sides of the dispute said Tuesday that a deal could be struck in the next two to three weeks.

From a marketing and P.R. standpoint, we think there’s tremendous value in trying to announce a new deal on the Wednesday or Thursday before the three-day Fourth of July weekend.  That would require the agreement to be reached in 15 or 16 days.

Several of you have asked for a full explanation of the steps from the two sides reaching an agreement in principle to establishing a full-blown Collective Bargaining Agreement.  We’ll provide a flow chart later today.

Permalink 55 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
55 Responses to “Report: Deal could come within two or three weeks”
  1. flyinhighwithvick says: Jun 14, 2011 12:01 PM

I’ll believe it when I see it.

2. narutofan10 says: Jun 14, 2011 12:03 PM

knew it! lets get some football going

3. johnnycash19 says: Jun 14, 2011 12:03 PM

I’ll believe it when it happens, remember Goodell saying the time for a deal was “now” during the SuperBowl weeks? But everything that has happened the past couple of weeks points to a deal getting done soon which is awesome.

Let’s get a deal done and get back to some football.

4. epping16 says: Jun 14, 2011 12:04 PM

I’m not sure why, but for the first time since the Super Bowl, I actually have a good feeling about this. I don’t want to get my hopes up. But it finally feels like we are moving in the right direction. Get it Done!

5. capslockkey says: Jun 14, 2011 12:04 PM

Now this is labor news I actually don’t mind reading. If they get a deal done in 2-3 weeks, in 3-4 weeks most of us will forget this ever happened.

6. brothaman1 says: Jun 14, 2011 12:05 PM

How about next week? Next week sounds better

7. thephantomstranger says: Jun 14, 2011 12:05 PM

The positivity is really coming fast and furious now. Is it possible training camps will start on time and this whole lockout will just be a footnote in NFL history?

8. homelanddefense says: Jun 14, 2011 12:08 PM

I guess the Eagle Tribune wasnt so far off after all

I so hope these reports are true!

9. waxthat says: Jun 14, 2011 12:09 PM

I have a idea…Let’s stop reporting on this until something is set in stone. Most fans are sick and tired of this subject.

10. lacharger2112 says: Jun 14, 2011 12:15 PM

Great, here come all of the “I told you so” and “I knew it” comments in droves.
    We don’t care about what you said about this.
    Any of you!

11. fitz66 says: Jun 14, 2011 12:16 PM

Just hurry the hell up, this is pissing me off.

12. louforprethident says: Jun 14, 2011 12:18 PM

Any apology to Bill Burt?

13. doob187 says: Jun 14, 2011 12:19 PM

aaand then it might not…

14. jacksaysfu says: Jun 14, 2011 12:21 PM

in all reality they could have a deal (in principle) within 2 days . the judge should have ordered these fools to negotiate non stop till a cba was reached . the owners and the union have really been turning me off lately !

15. tashkalucy says: Jun 14, 2011 12:22 PM

Again?

16. jacksaysfu says: Jun 14, 2011 12:26 PM

my team couldnt get a extra 1st round pick (eagles) cause all these selfish people cant figure out what to do with 10 billion dollars , idiots !

17. carlgerbschmidt says: Jun 14, 2011 12:26 PM

thephantomstranger says:
    Jun 14, 2011 12:05 PM

_____________

I think that “positivity” will be quite tempered when your vikes get to training camp and you see the “Oh, crap” look on Frazier’s face when he sees his options at QB in action…

18. chatham10 says: Jun 14, 2011 12:27 PM

It’s hard to believe that it is moving along and no person has mentioned the word “lawyers”. I agree with the time frame as long as they leave out the lawyers.

19. myballsmyrules says: Jun 14, 2011 12:28 PM

I told you so!

my sources are more legit than this site’s

20. reents says: Jun 14, 2011 12:30 PM

So basically by July 4, and a couple weeks for free agency and training camp starts on time, sounds good, wish it would be announced today that Lockout is over.

21. johnny1979 says: Jun 14, 2011 12:33 PM

The next story I’d like to see regarding the labor dispute is when the deal is OFFICIALLY SIGNED!!! I have had all I can take regarding millionaires and billionaires fighting over tons and tons of money. For a show of good faith, the owners and players should pay the season ticket holders to come to a game in the 2011 season. Where would any business be without customers???

22. meso0rnery says: Jun 14, 2011 12:33 PM

Sweet! Christmas in July!

23. ICDogg says: Jun 14, 2011 12:40 PM

Flow chart?

WOO HOO!

24. depotnator says: Jun 14, 2011 12:40 PM

“Several of you have asked for a full explanation of the steps from the two sides reaching an agreement in principle to establishing a full-blown Collective Bargaining Agreement.”

HaHa…sure…what nitwits are asking for this info from a blog site?

25. Soulman45 says: Jun 14, 2011 12:43 PM

Some body could be passing out bad tips.

26. smacklayer says: Jun 14, 2011 12:44 PM

Looking forward to the season starting, but I know I may get some thumbs down for this, but I will never look at Drew Brees the same way. I lost so much respect for him (and really all the other elite names on the law suit). But especially him. I hope he gets booed everywhere he plays this year just so he knows how much damage he and his messiah Demo caused. A few more weeks of bargaining back in march and it was a done deal.

27. theblowtorchreview says: Jun 14, 2011 12:49 PM

*Yawn*….ZZzzzzzzzzz

28. jutts says: Jun 14, 2011 12:52 PM

The time is closing in on: We start to loose “Big” money if we don’t get this done soon. I think the players and the owners realize this. Training camps are big buisness too. As long as they get to training camp on time. The season will be saved. I think this was the plan all along.

29. sakatak says: Jun 14, 2011 1:00 PM

nice picture

30. irchs1963 says: Jun 14, 2011 1:03 PM

“PROCRASTINATION”….and it continues !!!

31. bubbabart says: Jun 14, 2011 1:03 PM

I’m not getting my hopes up…but I’m getting my hopes up…confusing…yes!

32. hendawg21 says: Jun 14, 2011 1:06 PM

Well if you’d cut out these 2 meetings a week every so often and sit down for a week or two you’d have been done back in May…but as someone said earlier i’ll believe it when I see it…a done deal! As a matter of fact why don’t PFT ignore the subject all together until there is a deal…

33. myeaglescantwin says: Jun 14, 2011 1:13 PM

who even cares anymore..

34. 28purple4mvp says: Jun 14, 2011 1:14 PM

CARL-you are a joke and everyone here knows this-is this website the only way to get attention-we know you did not get much for attention as a child-typical loser-im better then everyone mentality-our QB’s will be fine-your qb is 1 hit away from being retired-ooohh my head hurts rodgers-

35. trbowman says: Jun 14, 2011 1:26 PM

“How about next week? Next week sounds better”

I’ll one up you. This week.

36. duanethomas says: Jun 14, 2011 1:35 PM

We already know this from the newest football insider Bill Burt…..lol.

37. jodave5 says: Jun 14, 2011 2:01 PM

We want 100% of this. No, WE want 100% of this………..50/50 ? OK. Problem solved. How freaking hard is it?????

38. packerrube13 says: Jun 14, 2011 2:05 PM

28purple4mvp says:
    Jun 14, 2011 1:14 PM
    ————————————————-

Ok.

First, breath kid. Second, you’re grammar and punctuation is extraordinarily below par, meaning I think you’re the one who lacked attention as a child.

And one hit away from retirement? Sadly that is true for every football player. But the Packers have a superior O-line to the Vikes, and Rodgers is not injury prone like Mr. Ponder. (Do research, and you are just as likely to get concussions if you’ve had them, as you are if you haven’t. This is not true for other injuries obviously. Having one concussion does not mean you are more likely to have them again)

Keep trying though. It must be hard knowing you’re destined for the NFC North Cellar.

39. madrid517 says: Jun 14, 2011 2:12 PM

Are the people that shot down that Burt guy gonna maybe apologize? He said five days ago what everyone is saying now. And of course everyone else is acting like genius’ for “reporting” it now.

40. nflfan101 says: Jun 14, 2011 2:13 PM

Talk is cheap. I still have not heard that D. Smith has made any concessions. Therefore, I believe that this is all PR and of little substance.

I also believe that this legal mess will not be resolved until after the 8th circuit rules because I believe that D. Smith will not seriously negotiate until he is forced to.

41. deadmanwalking47 says: Jun 14, 2011 2:38 PM

maybe the big name players are catching flack from the little guys that make the league minimum!

42. deadmanwalking47 says: Jun 14, 2011 2:41 PM

smith’s contract runs out in march,maybe after that the players will can him and bring in a former player to run the union!

43. db105 says: Jun 14, 2011 2:52 PM

Hope this lockout drags into the preseason so I can get refund on the overpriced and worthless preseason games.

44. 28purple4mvp says: Jun 14, 2011 2:59 PM

Ok.

? loser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! was i typing up a resume? this is a football blog not a english class so stfu im not the one on here everyday making comments on viking threads and peoples grammar and punctuation-get a life “kid”

TOO FUNNY—OR HOW YOU WOULD SAY IT ? LOL

45. thephantomstranger says: Jun 14, 2011 3:08 PM

packerrube13 says:
    Jun 14, 2011 2:05 PM
    28purple4mvp says:
    Jun 14, 2011 1:14 PM
    ————————————————-

Ok.

_____________

2. Do your research. Ryan Rodgers has had plenty of injuries in his career. He got hurt in practice every year while he was the backup to the indestructible old what’s-his-name.

3. Really? We’re supposed to feel bad because you’re predicting injuries for our QB? How did that work for you with the injury-prone Adrian Peterson?

46. killxswitch says: Jun 14, 2011 3:14 PM

nflfan101 says: Jun 14, 2011 2:13 PM

————-

Who cares what you believe? The two sides appear to be past leaking every little detail and having tantrums in front of the media. They’ve been negotiating and all signs point to a new deal that will get rid of the lawsuit BS.

Stop being so negative, open your eyes and see the light at the end of the tunnel.

47. detrob2000 says: Jun 14, 2011 3:16 PM

Please be true, the final payment for my Saints season tickets is due Friday.

48. mechajaguar says: Jun 14, 2011 3:28 PM

Just call me when it’s done…until then, this is just hearsay.

49. forthelove says: Jun 14, 2011 3:49 PM

Who in the heck is this Daniel Kaplan, seems like he’s breaking every NFL-related news story lately.

50. laeaglefan says: Jun 14, 2011 3:52 PM

Look for Free Agency to start on Tuesday, July 5th.

51. radrhatr says: Jun 14, 2011 4:28 PM

“Several of you have asked for a full explanation of the steps from the two sides reaching an agreement in principle to establishing a full-blown Collective Bargaining Agreement. We’ll provide a flow chart later today.”

let me save you the time:

they agree.
    they sign.
    football starts.

52. comeonnowguys says: Jun 14, 2011 4:34 PM

@thephantomstranger

“1. Please spell correctly while you’re criticizing someone’s grammar and punctuation in a pathetic but futile attempt to appear smart.

2. Do your research. Ryan Rodgers…”

…And you’re done. Thanks for playing.

53. realitypolice says: Jun 14, 2011 4:39 PM

@thephantomstranger:

When criticizing someone’s criticism of someone else’s grammar, make sure you have your own act together?

Who is Ryan Rodgers?

54. thephantomstranger says: Jun 14, 2011 5:30 PM

Wow, are you guys behind the times. Don’t you know A-Rodg’s new nickname is Ryan because of his uncanny resemblance to Ryan from The Office?

Or maybe I really don’t know his first name.

55. PanchoHerreraFanClub says: Jun 14, 2011 5:31 PM

Is that two or three weeks before or after the Rapture?