Yeah, so Andrew Luck isn’t helping to teach Colin Kaepernick

C. Kaerpernick49ers AP

About a month ago, we passed along a story about the notion that Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck would be helping Colin Kaepernick learn the 49ers playbook because of his history with Jim Harbaugh.

It was one of those little lockout special stories that sounded nice.  Apparently, there wasn’t much to it.

“Yeah, that was blown way out of proportion,” Kaepernick told Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com.

The problem: San Francisco’s playbook is not as similar to Stanford’s playbook as you would think.  Luck doesn’t know the 49ers playbook and basically the idea was a non-starter. Kaepernick has a tutor and his name is Alex Smith.

“Alex is pretty much up there and going through it like the offensive coordinator would,” 49ers running back Anthony Dixon said of Smith’s teaching sessions last week. “It’s amazing how much he knows. He know the ins and outs and all the crazy [details] we got. It’s great to hear.”

Smith just has to show he can translate that classroom knowledge to the field.  Or Kaepernick will be playing sooner than later.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
15 Responses to “Yeah, so Andrew Luck isn’t helping to teach Colin Kaepernick”
  1. bucsballer says: Jun 14, 2011 10:24 AM

There was never a question weather smith was an idiot off the field just the fact he makes boneheaded moves on it. I think it’s a shame smith just hasn’t been able to correct himself. By end of the season my guess is kaepernick starts by the end of the season and could be good.

2. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Jun 14, 2011 10:27 AM

Alex Smith is only 27 years old(he was a pup when he was drafted, and maybe TOO young). Over his last 22 games(two seasons) he’s completed 60% of his passes with 32 TD’s and 22 INT’s with a rating of about 82.

I’m a Skins fan and I’d trade every QB we have on the roster (ha ha) for him right NOW.

3. berniemadoffsides says: Jun 14, 2011 10:55 AM

SF still needs another WR to pair with Crabtree. They have a freak in Vernon Davis at TE, but they still need a Vincent Jackson or a Sidney Rice to make that offense a little more potent.

That division is for the taking – I’m not sure what that organization is waiting for.

4. zoxitic says: Jun 14, 2011 11:01 AM

thereisalwaysnextyear says:

______________________________

Boy, this tells you how bad the Redskins have been treating their fans. You poor guys are shell shocked.

5. realfootballfan says: Jun 14, 2011 11:34 AM

Do you really want your former top pick who got screwed up from having too many different offensive coordinators in his career teaching the new offense to your next franchise QB? Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

6. hobartbaker says: Jun 14, 2011 11:34 AM

Kaepernick wasn’t all that keen on taking advice from Luck. Colin thought he looked like a complete dork. Which, interestingly enough was the same reason Luck gave for not wanting to work with Kaepernick. Something to the effect of “trying to teach a ****ing Camel…”

7. rukiddnme29 says: Jun 14, 2011 11:41 AM

I’m a Broncos fan and I’d trade Quinn for Smith. Oh heck, you can just have Quinn.

8. hobartbaker says: Jun 14, 2011 11:49 AM

Colin has an interesting life story. He was adopted by the Kaepernicks as a baby camel. From a passing tribe of Bedouins.

9. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Jun 14, 2011 12:32 PM

______________________________

Hence my username!!! Think about it. Tony Banks, Jeff George, Shuler, Ferrgot, Shane Mathews, Danny Wuerfull, McNabb, Sexy Rexy (though I’d take him over any of the above), Todd Collins, Mark Brunell(after he couldn’t play anymore), Patrick Ramsey(nice guy but wildly inaccurate) and finally Jason Campbell who was run out of town after having multiple offensive coordinators.

SHELL SHOCKED IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT!!!

10. terpface says: Jun 14, 2011 12:43 PM

“SF still needs another WR to pair with Crabtree.”

Josh Morgan > Crabtree

11. b7p19 says: Jun 14, 2011 1:03 PM

“Ferrgot” HAHA, don’t know if you tried that(judging by your attempt at Wuerffel I’m guessing you didn’t), but I like it anyway. (Frerotte?)

12. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Jun 14, 2011 1:09 PM

I did mean Ferrgot, but I also did not mean to mispell Wueffel. Woops. My bad.

13. pacificamjr says: Jun 14, 2011 1:19 PM

chicks dig a big muff of hair on your chin

14. phinfan says: Jun 14, 2011 2:26 PM

Alex can teach him how to throw INTs

15. endcapitalism says: Jun 14, 2011 6:33 PM

Alex can teach him to roll to his right and throw it out of bounds.