Beanie Wells surprised the Cardinals took a running back

San Francisco 49ers v Arizona Cardinals Getty Images

When the Cardinals drafted running back Ryan Williams in the second round in April, it sent a strong message to Beanie Wells.

Taken in the first round just two year ago, Wells was supposed to be the present and future of the Cardinals backfield.  Quickly he realizes he could be running out of time to prove himself.

“This is definitely going to be my year without a doubt,” Wells said on The Fan AM 1060, via AZCardinals.com Thursday. “This is my third year and three strikes and you’re out, and I’m definitely not striking out. I am ready to tear it up. It’s my time and I am ready to go out and prove that.”

Wells was a big disappointment in his second year, although he showed plenty of promise as a rookie. He just needs to show he can stay healthy.  Perhaps drafting Williams will help him do that — and motivate him.

Wells says it was “shocking” when the Cardinals took Williams.

“I didn’t think we really needed a running back, especially in the second round,” Wells said. “But obviously they did. I just take it on as more competition and prepare the same way . . . I wasn’t angry. You know the ins and outs of the business. If they don’t like the production at a position, they’re probably going to get another one. This game is like a candy store — if you don’t like the candy you taste, you get another piece.”

Williams could wind up replacing Tim Hightower on passing downs more than he replaces Wells. Either way, the team’s young backfield is one of the deeper spots on a roster with plenty of holes.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
13 Responses to “Beanie Wells surprised the Cardinals took a running back”
  1. denverhighrize says: Jun 16, 2011 2:10 PM

Donovan McNabb was also “surprised” as well as “shocked”.

2. schmitty2 says: Jun 16, 2011 2:32 PM

How quickly Beanie forgets about the crappy season he had

3. dwoofer says: Jun 16, 2011 3:21 PM

I am a big fan of Beanie. The Cardinals finally have a top-tier running back, and Whisenhunt gets his panties in a wad over Beanie’s self-confidence, and keeps him on the bench. Any other coach in the league (with a brain) would LOVE to sign Beanie, at which point Beanie would become a league leader in rushing. Other than Fitz, Beanie is the most exciting player on the Cardinals. Let’s draft a new COACH next time. One that doesn’t think he is the one who got them to the Super (it was Warner) and who isn’t jealous of his own players.

4. seahawkhuskyfan says: Jun 16, 2011 3:42 PM

dwoofer- I know it gets hot out there in Arizona, maybe you need to stay out of the heat.

5. larryfitzgerald4mvp says: Jun 16, 2011 3:45 PM

dwoofer is an idiot.

Beanie didn’t play because he can’t block, can’t catch as well as hightower, and he didn’t run well last year.

He has to own up to that and improve this year.

6. dexterismyhero says: Jun 16, 2011 3:53 PM

Maybe Beanie can sell his Gold Pants for some more cash!!!!!

Prolly needs to get rid of the Vest Tattoo also.

7. jackfnburton says: Jun 16, 2011 4:09 PM

“This game is like a candy store — if you don’t like the candy you taste, you get another piece.”

Thanks for the tip, Dan Snyder.

8. tomwill21 says: Jun 16, 2011 4:21 PM

Beanie Wells surprised the Cardinals took a running back
    ——————-
    You’re the only one Mr. 3.4 ypc

9. schmitty2 says: Jun 16, 2011 4:40 PM

Dwoofer-are you Beanie’s agent? That’s the only reason I can come up with for you to say something dumb like that. The guy hasn’t done much of anything in 2 years

10. wizahdry says: Jun 16, 2011 4:49 PM

That’s football. You can never have too many rb’s. They have a shelf life that’s less than a gallon of milk and are at risk for severe injury every play. If I ran a team i would take an rb every other draft even if just a late round pick.

11. tjacks7 says: Jun 16, 2011 6:25 PM

two years to late. pretty soon you’ll be backing up Williams and probably Hightower. Then you’ll probably be cut.

12. clownsfan says: Jun 16, 2011 6:48 PM

I was surprised the Cardinals took Beanie Wells. He’s lazy, injury-prone & got no heart.

13. larryfitzgerald4mvp says: Jun 17, 2011 12:42 AM

clownsfan, way to attack a guy you don’t even know. Perfect example of letting the media form your opinion of someone.