Marcedes Lewis not thrilled with franchise tag

Marcedes Lewis, Deon Grant,  Michael Boley AP

Jaguars tight Marcedes Lewis gets it. He understands why the Jaguars placed the franchise tag on him and why it was difficult to work out a long term before the lockout.

That doesn’t mean Lewis is thrilled with the arrangement.

“It’s a catch-22, man. I want a long-term contract, and I know Jacksonville wants me there. I love playing in Jacksonville and who I work with there. But at the same time, who wants to play under a one-year contract? That’s not cool,” Lewis told Eric Edholm of Pro Football Weekly.

So could Lewis hold out until he gets a new contract?  Lewis wasn’t biting on that question.

“Jacksonville knows what (it) has in me and what kind of guy I am, my character,” he said. “They know I am going to give it every day. In the meantime, I just work hard and keep a smile on my face.”

Lewis’ status raises a relevant point about veterans who want a contract extension.  When the lockout ends, front offices are going to be wildly busy with free agent contracts, rookie contract, releases, and possible trades.

Guys like Lewis may have to remain very patient for the smoke to clear before their situations are addressed.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
16 Responses to “Marcedes Lewis not thrilled with franchise tag”
  1. pastorinisflak says: Jun 16, 2011 1:29 PM

Sad to say it but I just don’t really have any interest in posts like this while the lockout is going on.

2. megabeast37215 says: Jun 16, 2011 1:30 PM

Marcedes is a stud…. he’s worth breaking the bank on. Best blocking TE in the league and a top 10 pass catcher.

3. jpmelon says: Jun 16, 2011 1:31 PM

I’d be more upset to know that my name is more applicable to a female stripper rather than being guaranteed top pay for my position.

4. hobartbaker says: Jun 16, 2011 1:48 PM

Better not “catch-22″, there Merc, the one year be your only year.

5. mvp43 says: Jun 16, 2011 2:01 PM

Note to all players who love their union and think the owners are slave drivers:

Your beloved union supports the franchise & transition tag as it was collectively bargained.

6. citizenstrange says: Jun 16, 2011 2:17 PM

Mercedes is a girl’s name of Spanish origin, referring to a title for the Virgin Mary, “Our Lady of Mercy.”

7. krow101 says: Jun 16, 2011 2:31 PM

A franchise TE will make around $6,000,000 in 2011.

Sorry if that’s not thrilling enough for you greedhead.

8. sorozco says: Jun 16, 2011 2:32 PM

I find it funny people complain about being the highest paid player in their position for a year when it usually means that they’ll make more in one year than most will ever make.

As the internet saying goes, QQ moar.

9. spartyfi says: Jun 16, 2011 3:12 PM

krow101 & Sorozco: What you 2 are missing is that this is a violent sport and if he were to get hurt in that 1 year, his value would plummet and then he’d be signing a contract of 3 years minimum at a much reduced rate.

They don’t live in our world and therefore should NOT think of income in the same terms that you and I do. Does he make more than you and I? Yes, but he also brings in more money to his business owner than you do. I know it’s a complex concept to understand but I think you two will get it if you put your heads together! He’s not complaining about the amount of money, he’s complaining about a 1 year contract.

If you would actually read the article instead of being completely cynical and bash happy you would see that. Haters will hate….

10. shackdelrio says: Jun 16, 2011 3:21 PM

“krow101 says:
    Jun 16, 2011 2:31 PM
    A franchise TE will make around $6,000,000 in 2011.

Sorry if that’s not thrilling enough for you greedhead.”

Football is a business and everybody wants to have some guarantee of stability in their business. Lewis wants a long term deal rather than a one year deal. Nowhere does he say he is not thrilled with the six million dollar salary.

11. dirtybird2020 says: Jun 16, 2011 4:07 PM

Give him a long term contract, he is happy playing there, your happy having him, and he is worth the investment! Not so much about the money more about the job security!

12. suuupahstah says: Jun 16, 2011 4:35 PM

13. kidmetroid says: Jun 16, 2011 5:18 PM

you guys have a knack for choosing the least flattering photos of almost every NFL player you write about.

14. dkhhuey says: Jun 16, 2011 6:07 PM

Wah! I love some of these babies… whining about wanting the stability of a long term contract, then starting whining after the 2nd year that you’re not getting paid enough, throw a tantrum, demand to be traded, and put in a half ass effort until you get what you want.

15. gmen0820 says: Jun 16, 2011 6:21 PM

Who isn’t upset about something this offseason?

16. shackdelrio says: Jun 17, 2011 9:10 AM

“suuupahstah says:
    Jun 16, 2011 4:35 PM
    You don’t give a man a long term deal and all the money after one good season. The Jags already did that w Garrard and it’s biting them in the butt.”

Nice try but it’s a different situation. Garrard was essentially a one year wonder. He was never even good enough his first five years in the league to win the starting job. Lewis has improved every year. He was a Pro Bowl alternate in 2009 and led all TEs in the league in yards per catch average.