Saints player gets Super Bowl ring back after arrest made

New Orleans Saints Receive Super Bowl Rings Getty Images

It didn’t take long to find the guy that stole Saints special teamer Stanley Arnoux’s Super Bowl ring.

We passed along word that Arnoux reported his ring stolen in late May. WSVN reports that a Gil Ulloa, a valet manager at the Fountainbleu Hotel in Miami, was arrested recently for the theft after he sold he ring to a pawn shop.

Ulloa gave himself away when he returned to the pawn shop a few days after selling it for $1,200 to a pawn shop. He’s being charged with grand theft.

“A couple days later, he came back to the store and he asked what we were going to do with the ring. I found that odd. I found that very odd,” the shop’s owner Alberto Iturrey said.

Iturrey contact Arnoux to return the ring via Twitter.  (See, Twitter is useful!)

“His eyes watered when I gave him back the ring,” said Iturrey. “He told me, his exact words were, “‘Man, I feel like I am receiving it again for the first time.’”

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
13 Responses to “Saints player gets Super Bowl ring back after arrest made”
  1. gtmann says: Jun 16, 2011 3:20 PM

But he didn’t think it “odd” that somebody not the stature of an NFL player would be pawning a Saints SB ring…………..in Miami?????

2. philwauke says: Jun 16, 2011 3:21 PM

So now Arnoux has two more rings then the vikings.

3. vdogg says: Jun 16, 2011 3:26 PM

Is it just me or have there been a lot of stories like this lately? What are these guys doing with the rings? Wouldn’t you expect them to be taken care of at least a little better than what has been reported? One left in the middle console of your car? home burglarized….get a safe?!?!?

4. nolanorth says: Jun 16, 2011 3:30 PM

And you’ve never even played a down in a regular season game!!

5. Mr. Everyday says: Jun 16, 2011 3:44 PM

well, vdogg, since the story says the thief was “a valet manager at the Fountainbleu Hotel in Miami”, I’m guessing it was stolen while Mr. Arnoux stayed there.

6. vdogg says: Jun 16, 2011 4:07 PM

@Mr. Everyday
    My point is – why leave something like that in your car, I don’t care if you are staying there or not…what bearing does that have on this at all? He left a SB ring in his car….that doesn’t sound slightly irresponsible to you?

7. neer music says: Jun 16, 2011 4:21 PM

“A couple days later, he came back to the store and he asked what we were going to do with the ring. I found that odd. I found that very odd,” the shop’s owner Alberto Iturrey said.

——————

but it wasn’t odd that a super bowl ring was pawned for $1,200.

8. cover2blitz0 says: Jun 16, 2011 4:25 PM

what everyone is failing to see is how does a pawn shop only pay $1200 for a super bowl ring? thats a slap in the face to me even if im a thief. maybe im wrong but dont these rings usually cost like 20-30,000 each and their getting more “bling” all the time? $1200 for a super bowl ring crack must make you do crazy things

9. qj1984 says: Jun 16, 2011 10:05 PM

@qtmann

Believe it or not, not all of the players who receive Superbowl rings keep them. Some players give them to family members, who in a bind might sell them. Some players in a bind themselves might sell them, I mean its not like Arnoux is a household name. The average non- Saints fan probably couldnt pick the guy out of a lineup.

10. godofwine330 says: Jun 16, 2011 11:39 PM

Glad he got it back. I hate thieves.

11. whoknowsnothing says: Jun 17, 2011 1:03 AM

Do the rings have a serial number on them? If they don’t they should or have the players name on it. It be a good way to track them if lost or stolen.

12. benh999 says: Jun 17, 2011 1:26 AM

cover2blitz0,
    It didn’t belong to anyone particularly noteworthy and was sold with no or very few questions asked.

13. mdnittlion says: Jun 18, 2011 1:43 PM

Actually with players going broke after they retire finding a Super Bowl or college National Championship ring in a high end pawn shop or private collector isn’t uncommon. Also some players put their rings up as collateral for bad loans or bad business ventures i.e. Mark Brunell.