Wade Phillips likes his new defense, but unsure about the secondary

Wade Phillips AP

New Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips more or less agrees with conventional wisdom regarding his new team’s defense.  He likes the front seven, but he’s not sure about the team’s secondary.

Starting with last year’s first-round pick, Kareem Jackson.

“I think technique-wise he needs a lot of work,” Phillips told John McLain of the Houston Chronicle. “I guess he was able to play at Alabama without a lot of technique without worrying about staying low enough or moving his feet, those kinds of things. I think that caught up with him. I think we can coach him. We’ll drill him enough that we’ll go over and over and over.”

A lot of the talk about the Texans defense this offseason has centered around the front seven. Brian Cushing will move inside, Mario Williams will play linebacker, and DeMeco Ryans is getting healthy.

But Phillips likes that talent and believes Shaun Cody and Earl Mitchell are better than people think on the defensive line.  The biggest question remains in the secondary, which the team figures to address in free agency.

More than anything, they need Jackson and this year’s second round pick Brandon Harris to come through.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
9 Responses to “Wade Phillips likes his new defense, but unsure about the secondary”
  1. rayvens says: Jun 17, 2011 11:19 AM

Texans will be kicking them self, by the end of the yr, for not taking Prince (in this draft).

2. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Jun 17, 2011 11:22 AM

They will do fine when nnamdi or jonathan joseph come to town. Just don’t overspend on a crap player like ike taylor. If either of those guys show up and they can move quinn to saftey the secondary will do its job.

3. frankhad says: Jun 17, 2011 11:29 AM

The Texans will sign an experienced free agent to start at corner back and be glad they DIDN’T draft Prince. The last thing they need is another rookie at CB.

4. CKL says: Jun 17, 2011 11:53 AM

Dang! That loud smack I heard is Phillips bitchslapping Saban’s coaching ability vis a vis Jackson. I know Saban was a DB coach in Hou…not sure if he was there with Wade’s daddy or not. In fact Hou is where I believe Saban got the epithet “Nick Satan”.

OTOH..Belichick doesn’t draft Saban’s DBs either. Even the year Webster and Daniels came out and I thought FOR SURE BB would grab one of them. Nope. Only one he’s ever had AFAIK is the undrafted Randall Gay (who I am fond of, nice kid).

5. chadmurdigan says: Jun 17, 2011 12:03 PM

I hope Wade has a good year because he sure took lumps in Dallas. I also trust he realizes now that he’s not ever going to be a head coach and will be satisfied with a defensive coordinator job for the rest of his career — because he’s terrific in that position. I sympathize with the man because I think he has a good heart and that he cares for his players (probably cares too much). Better to be a hard-hearted bastard who cracks the whip and releases players right and left if you want to be a winning head coach.

6. nflcraziness says: Jun 17, 2011 12:31 PM

Wade Phillips will be the head coach before the end of the year, possibly half way thru the season.

7. severs28 says: Jun 17, 2011 12:43 PM

As a Lions fan I can assure you that Shaun Cody is not better than anyone thinks. Plus he doesn’t really fit a 3-4 very well.

8. freedomispopular says: Jun 17, 2011 2:10 PM

In other news, the sky is blue and the sun will be setting in the west.

9. db3300 says: Jun 17, 2011 3:01 PM

“They will do fine when nnamdi … come to town.”

Except that he’s already made it known that he has no intention of playing in Houston. So, yeah, other than that …