Woodson’s words inscribed on Super Bowl ring

Donald Driver AP

After the Packers beat the Bears in the NFC Championship, Charles Woodson made a speech to the team that they needed to play with one mind, one goal, one purpose, and one heart for one more game.

Six months later, that phrase was inscribed on the Super Bowl rings we showed you last night.

“It’s a beautiful ring,” Woodson said after the ceremony. “I don’t think they could have made it any more spectacular. Best ring I’ve seen. Not just saying that because it’s our ring.”

For one night, Packers players, coaches and staff forgot all about the lockout.

“It’s all about getting the ring. Every franchise that wins title, it’s all about ring. It seals the deal. We’ll enjoy it tonight. Hopefully we’ll get a settlement,” Woodson said via the Green Bay Press-Gazette.

“The mood in the room is giddy,” Packers president Mark Murphy said. “We all miss the players. To be back together with them was special.”

A trip to the White House is on hold, and will depend on whether the lockout ends in time. For one night, the focus was on the rewards of being champions.

“They wanted big and they wanted bling,” Murphy said. “We were successful in that.”

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
25 Responses to “Woodson’s words inscribed on Super Bowl ring”
  1. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Jun 17, 2011 8:23 AM

Woodson has got to be the classiest guy in the league. Off the field he does so much in the community, donates large amounts of money to Michigan and just always emulates class when he speaks to the media. If only others would follow his path.

2. theangryrob says: Jun 17, 2011 8:28 AM

I’m surprised the rings weren’t inscribed with:

“You’re still not as good as us.”

- Brian Urlacher.

3. phinheads says: Jun 17, 2011 8:28 AM

One of the best to play the position.

4. sneckel23 says: Jun 17, 2011 8:30 AM

How strange. After reading Urlacher’s comments, I thought the Bears won the Super Bowl. What are the Packers doing getting rings?

5. jnbnet says: Jun 17, 2011 8:32 AM

Not a Packer fan, but Woodson said it all. It is fitting that his words be inscribed on the ring. Great job all around on the ring design. Now comes the hard part. Judging by the Packer fan comments, I don’t think they realize how hard it will be to get there again…..but who knows?

6. forthelove says: Jun 17, 2011 8:34 AM

@Chapman_Jamie –

Completely agree, wish he would’ve been more like this when he was with the Raiders (speaking more to leadership and team member here than off-field). Glad he got there eventually.

7. jimmysee says: Jun 17, 2011 8:34 AM

An huge example of leadership.

8. jimmysee says: Jun 17, 2011 8:35 AM

fix typo: A huge example of leadership.

9. tinkletinkleonyourstar says: Jun 17, 2011 8:35 AM

“We could tell you more, but this isn’t Packers.com. The fans of the other 31 teams in the league could revolt.”

Rosenthal, apparently you’ve got a short memory.

10. schmitty2 says: Jun 17, 2011 9:49 AM

Rumor has it Urlacher and Briggs were outside protesting

11. marvsleezy says: Jun 17, 2011 10:12 AM

Seems like a really long phrase to fit on that tiny ring – Any close up pics?

12. CKL says: Jun 17, 2011 10:14 AM

I think it’s really cool when teams let players have that type of input on the rings.

13. thetooloftools says: Jun 17, 2011 10:14 AM

maybe you can give one of yours to LeBron James seeing how he isn’t going to get his any time soon.

14. purpleguy says: Jun 17, 2011 10:26 AM

Good guy and a good quote; however, I wish he’d cut that goofy long goatee-thing — is he chanelling his inner Abe-Lincoln?

15. jrmbadger says: Jun 17, 2011 10:33 AM

Wood is pure class. Driver too…. I’m happy for those guys that they finally got their rings.

It truly was an amazing season. Hopefully I wont have to wait another 14 years though for another Packer championship!

I drove 16 hours (there and back) from Minnesota and took a day off work to celebrate with the team and 56,000 other fans in -16 degree Lambeau field. I had heard of fans driving from Missouri and farther.

I’m glad I went because I will never forget it.

16. nickynick04 says: Jun 17, 2011 10:35 AM

Hey wait a minute. How can the Packers get a ring when Briggs & Urlacher both said the Bears are the better team…and Ryan says the Jets would beat them…give the ring bac,k Packers…Briggs,Urlacher [ who got tackled by a QB ] & Ryan stake better claims then winning it on the field….they won it with their MOUTH

17. flyerscup2010 says: Jun 17, 2011 11:10 AM

i can’t figure out why that picture is labeled “donald driver”

18. thephantomstranger says: Jun 17, 2011 11:29 AM

jrmbadger says:
    Jun 17, 2011 10:33 AM
    ___________

Don’t be greedy. I’ve been waiting 50 years for a championship with no end in sight. I’d be excited if the roof of the Metrodump got fixed.

19. vadog says: Jun 17, 2011 11:45 AM

As a lifelong Viking fan I congratulate the 2010 Packers. They were a resourceful team and pulled together a terrific run ending with the Lombardi Trophy. Good Job, guys.

Woodson is a classy player and man. I’m sure the whole Packer organization realizes how very fortunate they are to have a leader of his caliber.

If the lockout ends and if the Vikings get to stay in Minnesota, I hope that I might feel what it’s like to be a fan of the Super Bowl champs!! Enjoy it Packer fans!!

20. packerbacker12 says: Jun 17, 2011 12:15 PM

I am so happy for Woodson. He deserved this ring more than anything.

21. 303bengalguy says: Jun 17, 2011 12:46 PM

Northwest Ohio’s finest!

22. mushroomcloudmofo says: Jun 17, 2011 1:00 PM

Classy responses from the Vikings and Packer fans here. What a refreshing change of pace.

23. jimmysee says: Jun 17, 2011 1:25 PM

Good thing Oakland did not win a Super Bowl when Woodson was playing there.

If they did, Woodson’s words inscribed on the ring would have been –

“Get me outta here!”

24. bordner says: Jun 17, 2011 1:50 PM

mushroomcloudmofo says:
    Jun 17, 2011 1:00 PM

————————————–
    I know – I had to log out of the site, reboot my computer and log back in to make sure it wasn’t just me.

It’s great to see the posters respecting the significance of the moment. It’s fun to talk trash all season (and off-season) long, but this is an article about one of the greatest achievements in these players’ lives, and it’s great to see all the classy and respectful comments coming from our neighbors to the west.

But… it would get kind of boring if it was always like this ;)

25. contra74 says: Jun 17, 2011 4:08 PM

contra74 says:
    Jun 17, 2011 4:05 PM
    carlgerbschmidt says:
    Jun 17, 2011 1:59 PM
    brewdogg says:
    Jun 17, 2011 11:20 AM

That is something I had not considered….. I imagine that the former Packer fans who took up cheering for the Vikings back in the 70′s engendered the same type of feelings in Packer fans back then that seeing Favre in purple caused now.

________________

Doubtful. I find it hard to believe that any (true) Packer fans abandoned their team for the pink, er I mean purple and gold. But, let’s assume a few casual fans switched allegiances, what’d that get you? 4 SB losses? By the way, don’t try crawling back to our bandwagon, we don’t need ya.
    —————-
    You just referred to your fanbase as bandwagon…and…yea I cant argue with you on this one.