Chad Pennington going to work for Fox Sports, take 2011 off

Chad Pennington, Marc Mariani AP

It looks like another comeback from shoulder surgery isn’t going to happen for Chad Pennington.  At least not this year.

Pennington tells Rich Stevens of the Charleston Daily Mail in West Virginia that he’s going to work in television.

“I’m actually going to take this year off, get healthy and do some work for Fox Sports,” said Pennington. “I’m going to evaluate things and see where I am physically.”

Pennington isn’t officially retiring and it’s unclear what his role will be at Fox. He may see how his shoulder is doing in 2012, but another run at a comeback player of the year award didn’t make sense after he tore his ACL playing basketball in March.

“I planned to make a fourth comeback, but it doesn’t make sense to try to rehab a shoulder injury a fourth time on top of an ACL injury. I’m at a point of my career where I haven’t been patient before, I’m going to be patient now,” Pennington said.

One of the more interesting guys to listen to as a player, we suspect Pennington will excel in his next career with a microphone.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Chad Pennington going to work for Fox Sports, take 2011 off”
  1. steelerspiratesbruins says: Jun 18, 2011 10:14 AM

I respect the hell out of Pennington. The guy is tough as nails.

2. bluefan204 says: Jun 18, 2011 10:18 AM

Smart move, and I don’t mean that in a negative way.

3. flavordave says: Jun 18, 2011 10:19 AM

I wonder if Fox Sports will refer to him as their “cerebral” sportscaster.

4. bsizemore68 says: Jun 18, 2011 10:33 AM

Glad to see that he is taking his rehab serious. Chad will make a good coach if he wants to go that route, also I think he will make a good showing with the microphone, I am glad that he played for Miami. Bill

5. benh999 says: Jun 18, 2011 10:48 AM

” we suspect Pennington will excel in his next career with a microphone.”

If he doesn’t manage to somehow hurt himself on it.

6. chatham10 says: Jun 18, 2011 10:51 AM

I hope this guy is not another Favre, just retire and run with the TV job.

7. geniusesq says: Jun 18, 2011 11:00 AM

He just tore his vocal chord and will be out for the year. Dang

8. wizahdry says: Jun 18, 2011 11:05 AM

I think his career is over. He was a good qb, accurate, with plenty of heart but he is done. I don’t see a team wanting a middle age qg with a history of shoulder problems (who doesn’t throw hard either). Being a year removed from football won’t help either. Pennington probably hopes he can have a successful year announcing and won’t need to return.

9. CKL says: Jun 18, 2011 11:09 AM

He’ll be awesome I bet. He’s smart and funny which is two up on a lot of people hired to do those jobs.

10. backindasaddle says: Jun 18, 2011 11:25 AM

I hope things go well for Chad. I always admired him as a player and leader. Injuries impeded his ultimate ability…but he always fought back and produced. I’m a Pats fan and I always remember him being a threat and a pain-in-the-arss because he knew the game extremely well and he knew how to exploit a defense. He was a great field general.

I wish him well.

11. coolheir says: Jun 18, 2011 11:36 AM

Tough in the melon but so fragile in the body….as a dolphins fan, I’ll always be gratefull that for a short amount of time, chad graced our uniform and gave us fin fans a sense of pride and hope along with a division championship no one expected….thanks chad and may you prosper in whatever the future holds for you.

12. Spencer says: Jun 18, 2011 11:42 AM

Good luck to him.

13. dempsey63 says: Jun 18, 2011 11:47 AM

If Namath had Pennington’s knees or Pennington had Namath’s shoulder and arm, the Jets would be right up there in the Lombardi Trophy count.

14. jcd213 says: Jun 18, 2011 12:00 PM

Used to despise this guy when he played for New York. I take it all back though, one heck of a guy. He will be a great sports personality.

15. link49 says: Jun 18, 2011 12:15 PM

The NFL need a lot of people with his character & integrity, I tip my hat and wish him the best.
    Chad is time to move on, very good memories from you, good luck in new ride…………

16. randysavage4ever says: Jun 18, 2011 12:23 PM

chad will be back

17. Deb says: Jun 18, 2011 12:30 PM

Smart, determined player with great leadership and tremendous heart. Just hampered by a “glass” body. Think he’d do well at broadcasting or coaching. Wish him all the best!

18. mdnittlion says: Jun 18, 2011 12:40 PM

So your telling me he won’t be standing on the side lines hold a clipboard, but who’s going to be the 3 Million a year clipboard holder for the Dolphins?

Just retire, I know he was offered a chance by the coaching staff to become an intern and start a coaching career, but turned it down because he’s a player not a coach. What a pinhead.

19. 3yrsnfl says: Jun 18, 2011 4:11 PM

Watching Chad’s 1st preseason game as a rookie, in the fourth quarter he was standing on the bench waving a towel to get the crowd going during a scoring drive. I thought that was awesome!! Loved him from that point. Good luck kid!

20. thetooloftools says: Jun 18, 2011 5:29 PM

This guy is going to be fantastic. I may watch games just to hear him. You can’t teach lovable.

21. gdeli says: Jun 18, 2011 5:36 PM

he’ll replace the boring joe buck right? ha

22. gdeli says: Jun 18, 2011 5:41 PM

ps…until he joins the vikings?

23. dwight123 says: Jun 18, 2011 6:33 PM

I think this is a great move,in some wierd way it can help Miami see a bit clearer at the QB position..keep Henne and Thigpin and Henne bring in a free agent QB McNabb possibly.

24. backindasaddle says: Jun 18, 2011 7:40 PM

‘gdeli’ wrote:

“he’ll replace the boring joe buck right?”

The word is…. ‘smarmy’.

I think I’d be happy with pretty much ANY replacement of Joe Buck.

25. drumzan says: Jun 18, 2011 9:35 PM

Class act guy. I look forward to hearing what he has to say. Now if only the NFL Network can get rid of Michael Irvin…

26. PanchoHerreraFanClub says: Jun 19, 2011 9:10 AM

I look forward to Chad’s comments during the NASCAR races. He certainly won’t be able to comment on any pro football this year and probably next.