Percy Harvin believes he may be migraine free

Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Percy Harvin celebrates touchdown against Bears in MInneapolis AP

Vikings receiver Percy Harvin believes he’s experienced a breakthrough in a lifelong battle with migraines.

“This is the best I’ve felt, probably, since I’ve been in kindergarten,” Harvin told Ed Miller of the Virginian-Pilot.

Harvin said he hasn’t experienced any problems for 5-6 months, in part due to something doctors found during last season.

“There were a couple of things they found in my neck that I won’t get into – some things they found and fixed, along with diet and the rest of the things that can cause them,” Harvin said.  “It’s been great, and knock on wood, it’ll continue.”

With Sidney Rice possibly moving on, Harvin’s role could increase dramatically next year.  Harvin has been a big difference maker despite his youth, migraine issues, and missed practices as a pro thus far.

The potential is there for a breakout season if Christian Ponder and a veteran QB to be named later can do their part.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
43 Responses to “Percy Harvin believes he may be migraine free”
  1. captainwisdom8888 says: Jun 18, 2011 11:28 AM

Could he be a fantasy sleeper all over again?

2. woodyg says: Jun 18, 2011 11:29 AM

Good news for Harvin & hopefully his health will remain migraine-free but …… The Vikings will need much more than a healthy Harvin to avoid the cellar in the NFC North ….. They are an old team full of holes who gambled pretty much everything the last two years & lost ……

They are now paying the price …… A cellar-dwellar for years to come .

3. smizzhfx says: Jun 18, 2011 11:40 AM

Despite his inability to stay on the field for a full season and the headaches his headaches cause fantasy owners when setting weekly lineups, he’s shown he is one of the more dynamic young playmakers in the league. With a lack of consistency at the QB position in MIN, he’s shown himself to be relatively QB-proof. He will be a great short- to mid-range target for a developing guy like ponder and I think we will really see a breakout season for Mr. Harvin.

4. dempsey63 says: Jun 18, 2011 11:43 AM

Percy’s “shot-out-of-a-cannon” kickoff returns for touchdowns are beautiful to behold.

When a guy can have two defenders 10 yards in front of him one moment but they’re grasping at air five yards behind him a second later, one has to assume that it’s the special teams coach on the OTHER team that suddenly has the migraine.

5. vikefan says: Jun 18, 2011 11:43 AM

hope so percy, good luck to you…………and we are still football free.

6. icewalker946 says: Jun 18, 2011 11:50 AM

“There were a couple of things they found in my neck that I won’t get into ….

Pains in the neck? WHO could those be?

7. j0esixpack says: Jun 18, 2011 12:06 PM

That veteran to be named later wouldn’t have the initials BF, would he?

8. imjinbrdgr says: Jun 18, 2011 12:08 PM

I’m sure people who suffer from them will be glad that he won’t get into how they cured them.

9. sfwillis52 says: Jun 18, 2011 12:11 PM

He should have been going to a chiropractor from day 1…

10. kennyrogerschicken says: Jun 18, 2011 12:33 PM

Good for him. Hopefully he stays healthy for the long term – and has a few injury free bad games against the Pack.

11. goawayeverybody says: Jun 18, 2011 1:21 PM

Regardless of whether or not he’s had a good QB (Brett Favre) or a bad QB (Brett Favre), Percy has posted 6 touchdowns and close to 1,000 yards from scrimmage in each of his first two years. He’s legit.

12. goawayeverybody says: Jun 18, 2011 1:23 PM

And I agree with what woodyg said. The Vikings are pretty much screwed for a while. Sorry, Vikings fans, but wishing for your team to do well isn’t going to make it so. The Vikes are going to take a while to recover from the Favre fiasco. Christian Ponder is a very good QB though and he has a lot of potential.

13. dailynorseman says: Jun 18, 2011 1:25 PM

Sad news for all the Green Bay fans that cheered when he collapsed during training camp last season, and were legitimately pissed off when it turned out he was okay.

That’s just how Packer fans roll, though.

14. piratefreedom says: Jun 18, 2011 1:25 PM

I hope his only headache next year is a rookie QB.
    He makes the vikings a more interesting team to watch.

15. bluestree says: Jun 18, 2011 1:48 PM

Good news for a talented young player. Love to see him on the field. Healthy, he should be a beast.
    Still won’t touch Green Bay, but good for the Vikes.

16. theripster30 says: Jun 18, 2011 1:51 PM

ill assume in the last 5-6 months, harvin hasnt been hit by a 300 lb black dude at full speed. good luck to him, but lets see how healthy his ass is when hes getting beat up, as opposed to feeling healthy sitting in a leather chair eating nachos.

17. shaggytoodle says: Jun 18, 2011 1:57 PM

The headaches might be back as soon as the testing comes around, or when the team is 1-5 and he gets all frustrated.

It would be interesting to know what the Dr. told him because he has struggled with those since being drafted.

18. whitetail28 says: Jun 18, 2011 2:19 PM

Lets see now…… Hiw long has it been since Harvin has taken a hit again???????
    just sayin

19. locutus says: Jun 18, 2011 2:24 PM

This is excellent news for Harvin and the Vikings. He is a fantastic talent and it would be a shame if his career was shortened due to something like this.

20. brewdogg says: Jun 18, 2011 2:41 PM

woodyg says:
    Jun 18, 2011 11:29 AM

A cellar-dwellar for years to come .

—————————————–

I’m sure that you said the same thing about them after ’05.

Here’s a little history lesson for you. The Vikings have never, in their history, finished consecutive seasons last in their division, and it has been 25 years since they finished consecutive seasons last or second-to-last. I’ll go with history here and say that they will be .500 or better this year.

21. bdnnbd says: Jun 18, 2011 2:41 PM

^^ Hey look, its somebody that believes chiropractic is real science

22. thewizardofbrahs says: Jun 18, 2011 2:50 PM

the doctors found that brad childress had been kicked out of town,the biggest headache Harvin ever had

23. canadianvikingfaniii says: Jun 18, 2011 2:58 PM

I am glad to see that this problem may finally be solved. The practices he has missed, he has still shown he can be a great and dynamic mismatch for opposing teams.

He received high praise from two very respectable corners in todays game, Charles Woodson and Derrell Revis, in fact he was supposed to work out with Charles at some point in the offseason if he already hasn’t. I really look forward to seeing what this guy being healthy can do.

24. sfwillis52 says: Jun 18, 2011 3:20 PM

bdnnbd says:
    Jun 18, 2011 2:41 PM
    ^^ Hey look, its somebody that believes chiropractic is real science
    ___________________________________
    Haha. And you are probably one of the hundreds of millions of Americans that listen and believe everything that Medical doctors tell you. Even though MEDICAL accidents are the number 4 cause of death to Americans. Also I am sure you know how American’s consume 50% of all the medical drugs in the entire world, but there are close to 40 countries who’s populations health rank well above the US. I am sure you also know that chiropractors schooling consists of more hours than the medical doctor. O yea. Those medical doctors that know REAL science are great. Especially when they insist that your children recieve 36-38 vaccines by the age of 18. I am sure you know that something close to 90% of those doctors that are willing to put those vaccines in your children don’t allow their own children to recieve any shots at all.

25. canjura says: Jun 18, 2011 3:36 PM

Completely dislike the Vikings (and every overrated player on the team for that matter), but these migraines surpass on the field and it could have/had a serious role in his life and I’m happy to hear he’s better (for now).

26. silverdeer says: Jun 18, 2011 3:38 PM

It makes me wonder if they found a problem with his thyroid gland. Granted it is located in the throat, but he could be saying it is in his neck. I know that when I went on thyroid meds for mine my migraines went away and I haven’t had once since.

27. stairwayto7 says: Jun 18, 2011 3:38 PM

And he has not played football for 6 months either!

28. thephantomstranger says: Jun 18, 2011 4:25 PM

brewdogg says:
    Jun 18, 2011 2:41 PM
    woodyg says:
    Jun 18, 2011 11:29 AM

A cellar-dwellar for years to come .

—————————————–

I’m sure that you said the same thing about them after ’05.

________________

You got it, brewdogg. It’s hilarious to see these packer fans continue to say we’ll be in last place for years. That’s not the way the Vikes roll. This isn’t Detroit, man! They think that because the Packers were terrible from 1968 to 1994, the same thing could happen to the Vikings. Not going to happen. We may get mired in mediocrity for a while, but last place is not in our DNA.

29. vikesfansteve says: Jun 18, 2011 4:51 PM

The way he kept dropping pass after pass at the beginning of last season gave every fan a migraine too.

He had some huge catches during the last half but also some huge drops.

That fumble vs the Saints also was a back breaker in 09.

30. gdeli says: Jun 18, 2011 5:40 PM

we hope for a breakout season. 5-6 months free and the vikings season was over 5 months ago? somethings going on. I hope he feels better. migraines are terrible.

31. jpmelon says: Jun 18, 2011 5:48 PM

He was solid on my fantasy team. He’d be a solid 3rd receiver on a fantasy team I think. And I mean that in a good way….I think he is better than a guy you want to keep on your bench.

32. jimmysee says: Jun 18, 2011 5:56 PM

Wish him well — hope he can be healthy.

I’m a Packers fan but there is no joy to be had in anyone’s health problems.

33. yopendleton says: Jun 18, 2011 7:09 PM

Funny what can happen when you get rid of Brad Childress

34. seewise says: Jun 18, 2011 8:12 PM

DOCTOR, he said, maybe a DR. of Chiropractic not just any one who didn’t train for many years in respectable, scholarly environments.

35. mrlynch33 says: Jun 18, 2011 10:45 PM

Im pulling for you Percy, but…

I believe we heard this last year too then like two weeks later he didn’t play due to migraines

36. saxmachine69 says: Jun 19, 2011 12:29 AM

sfwillis52 says: Jun 18, 2011 3:20 PM

—————————————————-

Wow, this may have been the dumbest rant I’ve ever heard. What are you trying to prove by even comparing doctors and chiropractors? There is a big difference between the two.

But go ahead and take your kids to the chiropractor when they get sick, I’m sure that’ll help Lmao

37. jcg23 says: Jun 19, 2011 1:30 AM

The doctors didn’t remove anything. The owner removed Bret and Brad and all the pain went poof!

38. debthebusybody says: Jun 19, 2011 8:54 AM

Been smoking a lot of reefer too?

39. shaggytoodle says: Jun 19, 2011 10:45 AM

_________________________________

I am glad you guys are optimistic, but times do change, remember Favre was never going to miss a start, and the Vikings don’t know who is going to be thier starting QB right now.

2 ways they aren’t cell dwellers. Give it to AP like they did before Favre and they were a playoff team, OR if there isn’t a season to play.

40. sfwillis52 says: Jun 19, 2011 4:44 PM

saxmachine69

You obviously have no idea how the human body works, and therefore you are completly ignorant with your comment about something you know nothing about. Medical doctors use drugs as their form of medicine. Chiropractors use adjustements as their form of medicine. They are both primary care physicians, so yea they can be compared. For a case of migraines, chiropractors are a much better option than medical doctors. And as for your comment about my children; I will take my kids to a chiropractor when they are sick, and that’s exactly what my parents did for me. I haven’t been to a medical doctor since I was 12 years old, and that was only for a physical…which can be done by a chiropractor as well

41. Lou Pickney says: Jun 19, 2011 8:42 PM

I’ve suffered from migraines since 2000, and they are HORRIBLE. I’m glad that Harvin found relief via chiropractic help; that is what finally allowed me to alleviate the horrible migraines that would wake me up in a dead sleep, hit me in the middle of work, and often strike without warning.

I was highly skeptical of chiropractors, but finally I was talked into trying one out… and almost immediately the difference was remarkable. Here’s hoping that Harvin’s migraines will remain a thing of the past.

42. johnsticle says: Jun 20, 2011 12:49 AM

Rice is staying. Shut up.

43. carolinethedog says: Mar 15, 2013 5:55 PM

For some conditions (such as neck pain, low back pain, migraine headaches, and much more) CHIROPRACTIC WORKS.

It’s funny to see a few posters get so butthurt about chiropractic helping an athlete perform. Shouldn’t you be happy? A healthy Percy Harvin is just good for football in general. Who doesn’t like watching this guy play?

Elite athletes like Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Michael Jordan, AH-nold and Tiger Woods have sworn by chiropractic and openly endorsed it.

I mean, just reread those names…I think those guys might been some what in tune with the performance of the human body.

…and yet you still see some on the Internet who mock and bash people for advocating chiropractic. You claim to do this in the name of science?!

The vertebra of his upper cervical spine (very near the brain stem) are misaligned. He also makes a living getting hit by the baddest men on Earth. So, another human being takes his hands and adjusts his spine back into alignment…he gets better…cause and effect…what is so in-scientific about that?! Is massage bullshiet too? I mean c’mon man.

Sure, some old chiros were claiming to cure cancer and such…so attack THAT if you want. But, this is an athlete being treated for migraines.

I guess we should’ve told Jerry Rice and Joe Montana that all though pre/post game adjustments didn’t help at all b/c they’re so “unscientific”