David Tyree would trade his catch to stop gay marriage

79498412_crop_340x234 Getty Images

Former Giants receiver David Tyree once told ESPN’s Jeremy Schaap that Tyree underwent an exorcism to cure demonic possession.  Some might now say it’s time for a tune up.

Tyree continues his crusade against same-sex marriage, telling the New York Daily News that he’d be inclined to trade one of the greatest plays in Super Bowl history to prevent men from legally marrying other men.

“The catch was a gift, it’s not like I’d try to do it.  I couldn’t do it again so that was a miracle,” Tyree told Kenneth Lovett of the Daily News.  “There’s nothing worth more than [maintaining heterosexual marriage] right here for me.”

So we he trade the catch for, um, a block?  “Honestly, I probably would.”

Tyree then elaborated on his point.  “Nothing means more to me than that my God would be honored,” Tyree said.  “Being the fact that I firmly believe that God created and ordained marriage between a man and a woman, I believe that that’s something that should be fought for at all costs.

“So I’ll lay down everything I am to preserve the honor and integrity of the God that I serve.”

Tyree also expanded on his belief that same-sex marriage would represent the first step toward anarchy.  “[O]nce you allow something like same-sex marriage, it opens up the door for a continual softening to the backbone of our society, which will eventually, for generations to come, open up the door for who knows, polygamy, and all other [things],” Tyree said.
Tyree said that he doesn’t oppose marriage-style benefits for gay couples.  He just doesn’t want the “M” word to be used.
The issue has assumed significance in New York because legislators are presently considering the issue.  And regardless of where one stands on the matter (personally, I tend to be Libertarian on social matters, as if any of you care), it could be the last time any of us will ever be considering anything Tyree ever says or does.
Permalink 177 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
177 Responses to “David Tyree would trade his catch to stop gay marriage”
  1. zaggs says: Jun 20, 2011 3:02 PM

“The issue has assumed significance in New York because legislators are presently considering the issue.”

The reason has significance to Tyree because some are worried that there is not enough in the current bill to allow for the freedom of religion for religious groups after the bill is OK’d. That religious based adoption agencies could be forced to disregard their beliefs to gay couples, etc.

2. karlpilkington says: Jun 20, 2011 3:03 PM

Please NFL, get back to work so we do not have to rely on football players to speak about what is right and wrong.

Just like I said about Vick, leave people be and pay attention to what is happening in your OWN life. Stop worrying so much about what other people are doing.

3. donterrelli says: Jun 20, 2011 3:04 PM

17-1, YOU CANT DENY THIS

4. dolphinsrule65 says: Jun 20, 2011 3:09 PM

Every one is entitled to his/her belief even if we think Tyree you are misguided . What exactly are you protecting? What possiable harm comes to you personally Tyree if two people want to get married? who cares. Did God not make us all equal? Todays couples end up with a 40% divorce rate within 5 years anyway. but according to you, a single parent is also a bad parent,because two males or females could not possiable raise a great child? But let me tell you,Tyree…My Mom got divorced in 1972, unheard back then, she got three jobs, i was 6,my sis was 3,my bro was 9, we cooked,cleaned and took of each other and my Mom, never dated again till we were all grown and moved out of the house. I will say i’m a gay male, happy involoved in a 13 year parternship and we are season ticket holders for the past 17 years and proudly support the NFL along with possible millions of other gay sports lovers that happen to be gay. truly

5. trbowman says: Jun 20, 2011 3:09 PM

Also, getting my popcorn ready for the comments

6. somethinsbruin says: Jun 20, 2011 3:10 PM

As a Patriots fan, I wish he could…

7. TheRealist says: Jun 20, 2011 3:11 PM

David Tyree also thought the devil was in him and had an exorcism.

The man is just crazy plain and simple. Let’s not let this lockout give attention to dumb crap.

8. roceagles says: Jun 20, 2011 3:11 PM

Over under until Tyree comes out of the closet? 5 years.

9. baddegg says: Jun 20, 2011 3:12 PM

I think somebody’s overcompensating!

10. harmcityhomer says: Jun 20, 2011 3:15 PM

Wait, what?

No one would even ask for his opinon on anything if it were not for that catch.

11. tomosbornesretirementcostjoepaatitle says: Jun 20, 2011 3:15 PM

Marriage is a sacred institution that should not be made a mockery of.

Signed,

Charlie Sheen, Tiger Woods, OJ Simpson, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Anthony Weiner

12. cleverbob says: Jun 20, 2011 3:18 PM

Who?

13. Spencer says: Jun 20, 2011 3:18 PM

Who cares? It’s not like he’s going to single-handedly stop gay marriage.

14. parasonic says: Jun 20, 2011 3:20 PM

So God allowed you to catch that ball? ….hmm interesting. And what about Rodney Harrison? He just didn’t believe enough to knock it out of your hand? STFU. Are you listening to yourself? Believe what you want to believe I guess but science proves otherwise. I can see it now:

“On the next Sports Science: Quantifying the effects of God on game play”

15. AlanSaysYo says: Jun 20, 2011 3:22 PM

Way to ruin the catch, dude.

16. palakerfan says: Jun 20, 2011 3:24 PM

I love that this tool ruined the 19-0 season!!!

17. changsteinelgamal says: Jun 20, 2011 3:24 PM

Call me a lib or whatever you want, but I would never devote so much of my limited time on this earth to something that has zero effect on my life whatsoever.

Besides which, it’s no place of the government to be approving marriages anyway. That’s about the last thing I really need Uncle Sam’s stamp of approval on.

18. supashug says: Jun 20, 2011 3:24 PM

Oh Look PFT found another way to write about the New York Giants today

Tyree
    Tiki
    Plax
    Coughlin
    Osi
    Jacobs

anything else, what about an LT article

19. chargerdillon says: Jun 20, 2011 3:25 PM

Just remember, as stupid as this guy is, and as amazing as the catch he made was

He still wasn’t stupid enough to shoot his own self in the leg.

Ignorant yes, but still not as dumb as Plaxico

20. 808raiderinparadise says: Jun 20, 2011 3:27 PM

Whatta shallow, bible blinded, tainted, and confused man. Same sex marriage honors equality … it doesn’t mean the social backbone is softened? Other fundamentalist would say the bible/God disputes allowing black members in their church (how does he feel about that God?), or people that eat pork, or encourage strapping bombs to themselves. I did watch a TV coverage show on him, how he had an exorcism ….. had the devil in him? Hmmm solid guy. Well my God doesn’t allow one hit wonder scrub 6th string WR’s who had one career play define them to talk about what is socially acceptable.

21. aznredneck says: Jun 20, 2011 3:28 PM

whatever happened to the phrase “separation of the church and state”?

politics = the most hypocritical arena there is

22. kingmiedus says: Jun 20, 2011 3:28 PM

“Tyree also expanded on his belief that same-sex marriage would represent the first step toward anarchy. ”

So thats the reason for the riots in Vancouver.

23. powderedme says: Jun 20, 2011 3:29 PM

uh-oh…

24. philtration says: Jun 20, 2011 3:30 PM

Kind of ironic coming from a guy that is famous for having a dirty ball pressed against the top of his head.

25. caliviking805 says: Jun 20, 2011 3:31 PM

People like therealist should stop coomenting.
    You sound like you need counsoling, maybe then you’ll be str8

26. thewhitestguyhere says: Jun 20, 2011 3:33 PM

marriage in the United States is such a cherished and honored tradition, that more than half of the people who “commit” to marriage end up divorced……wait…what?

27. hobartbaker says: Jun 20, 2011 3:37 PM

If same sex marriage is the first step on the road to polygamy, maybe we shouldn’t be so quick to condemn it. Short term pain, long term gain.

28. therevdewitt says: Jun 20, 2011 3:37 PM

When it comes to theological and Constitutional issues, I always turn to the opinions of football players first.

29. cosanostra71 says: Jun 20, 2011 3:37 PM

is he against lesbian marriage too? Cause I’ve always thought that that would be pretty awesome.

30. jwm24 says: Jun 20, 2011 3:37 PM

He’s right. He is brave to stand up and say it too. People want to take the politically correct stance and stay out of these things and it’s refreshing to see that someone will stand up and say what he believes. Of course, people are too intolerant to allow him to have his own belief system. They would rather criticize and name call. He didn’t say people couldn’t be gay. He said that they shouldn’t be able to legally marry. It’s somewhat ignorant to argue for gay marriage. A marriage was defined by God since HE created it to be with one man and one woman. You can’t have a marriage without those two pieces anymore than you can have a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich made with ham and swiss cheese. The ingredients just aren’t there!!! David didn’t come across hating. . . he is just standing for what he believes in. Proud of you Tyree.

31. andrew8404 says: Jun 20, 2011 3:40 PM

I love how dumb people are on this forum. Personally, I can’t wait to marry my dog!! Because we love each other and make each other happy! Now give me my marriage rights!

32. ponderqb says: Jun 20, 2011 3:41 PM

That took guts.

This has nothing to do with his opinion relating to the ability of two same gender couples raising a child.
    All he is talking about is his religion and his freedom to express it. If you don’t like it, express it, but this man is simply expressing his own right to religion and expression of religion.

He wasn’t attacking anyone, people will simply be offended no matter what with anything political or religion related.

33. andyukbronco says: Jun 20, 2011 3:41 PM

The guy is quite obviously a lunatic!

34. murraysons says: Jun 20, 2011 3:42 PM

Being a Pats fan, this guy already helped ruin my football life. Now he is not only lucky but also ignorant and intolerant. World needs plenty of bartenders, pal.

35. pigeonpea says: Jun 20, 2011 3:43 PM

The part of this non-story that disturbs me the most isn’t the fact that Tyree would give up one of the greatest moments in sports history to “stop” gay marriage, or that Tyree is apparently more than a little messed up on the Lord. The part that I find most disturbing is that those of you that keep rapping on that your rights being taken away are the same ones lambasting Tyree for his personal religious beliefs simply because you personally believe he is wrong for having them.

I take it the concept of hypocrisy is completely lost on you.

36. fancyleague says: Jun 20, 2011 3:44 PM

I wasn’t even aware David Tyree was married to a man, much less that he was unhappy in said marriage.

I sympathize with him though. There are days when I’d suffer another Pats Super Bowl win to stop my marriage.

37. iflounder says: Jun 20, 2011 3:45 PM

also, did anyone point on to tyree that his greatest accomplishment in life was catching a ball to his face?

38. purpleguy says: Jun 20, 2011 3:46 PM

Reason number 1,235,536 that we should only pay attention to the opinions of football players unless such opinons relate to football.

39. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Jun 20, 2011 3:46 PM

“So we he trade the catch for, um, a block? ”

So we he? What does that mean?

40. berniemadoffsides says: Jun 20, 2011 3:52 PM

He’s entitled to his opinion, as are people who support gay marriage. Why do people often feel compelled to attack someone for his/her beliefs because they conflict with your personal interests? Someone asked for his opinion and he gave it – end of story.

What made this country great is the fact that once upon a time we could speak our minds so long as we weren’t verbally attacking others. Tyree has done nothing other than voice his opinion – he’s entitled to do that as an American. We’re getting closer and closer to eliminating free speech in this country. We all know gay marriage will eventually be legal, it’s just a matter of when. Probably within the next 5 years, if I had to guess. Tops.

For the record, do yu know what my reaction would be if Neil Patrick Harris said “Heterosexuality is wrong!”? I’d laugh and shrug my shoulders… who cares? People are way, waaaaay too sensitive to what celebrities say now-a-days.

41. tformation says: Jun 20, 2011 3:53 PM

LOL at revdewitt & roceagles.

Ponderqb has a point though… Tyree has a right to state his opinion. I just sit back, and think “Really? Gay marriage is *THAT* important to you? As a married straight man, I don’t think I care one way or the other about gay marriage, honestly!”

42. sharkcatcher says: Jun 20, 2011 3:58 PM

He’s probably. Down low brother

43. prnandhomeless says: Jun 20, 2011 3:59 PM

@berniemadoffsides

who said he should be persecuted for his beliefs?

free speech does not mean speech free of consequence. Tyree can say what he’d like, but everyone who disagrees is then free to verbally crucify him.

That’s how free speech works – it goes both ways.

44. bowwserr says: Jun 20, 2011 3:59 PM

I am a gay guy, and a die hard sports fan. Having said that…not even I care this much about gay marriage. David Tyree is an idiot. How bout we get back to football?

And caliviking805….you sound like you need to go back to school? Just because you’re a bigot doesn’t mean you don’t need to use proper spelling and grammar.

45. henryd3rd says: Jun 20, 2011 4:01 PM

When I was a kid we lived in the country and I threw stones at a jackass named Jerry we passed in a field on the way to school. I got caught by my father and after he whupped me he said one of these days that jackass was going come back and haunt my little behind. Well that jackass is back haunting me; but this time his name is Tyree! He’s tainting my memory of a great Giant victory!

46. hotlantalaw says: Jun 20, 2011 4:01 PM

That was a pretty good catch but I think 1st amendment and freedom of religion trump political correctness.

47. sjoyner59 says: Jun 20, 2011 4:02 PM

lets be clear about this,,the catch was LUCK and guys like this I think deep down want to” take a walk on the wild side,shaved his legs then he was a she take a walk on the wild side” how long until david comes out of the closet?

48. hoobsher says: Jun 20, 2011 4:03 PM

we already knew that he cant play football, now we know why

hes an idiot.

49. caliviking805 says: Jun 20, 2011 4:03 PM

Correction*
    Dolphinesrule should go to a shrink.

That just go to show that people whoarent straight have something incredibly wrong with their head

50. shackdelrio says: Jun 20, 2011 4:09 PM

Another person brainwashed by religion.

51. cleverbob says: Jun 20, 2011 4:09 PM

I didn’t realize that God created marriage. Why do we allow Buddhists and other non-Christians to get married? We are tearing apart the fabric of society!!!

/sarcasm

52. TurdSandwich says: Jun 20, 2011 4:10 PM

“Nothing more important than maintaining hetero marriage”. Tyree, your brain is broken.

53. christhefish says: Jun 20, 2011 4:10 PM

Why would you just dismiss this man’s opinion out-of-hand? Why is someone who is counter to someone’s opinion a hater or intolerant?

54. CKL says: Jun 20, 2011 4:11 PM

Tyree said that he doesn’t oppose marriage-style benefits for gay couples. He just doesn’t want the “M” word to be used.
    ___________________________________
    (geezeihatestickingupforthedudethatruinedthe07seasonofmyteambut)
    Did anyone miss this?
    I am fine with gay couples marrying but don’t see what’s wrong with this stance either. The main issue to me is fairness and as long as gay couples have equal access to some type of ceremony or license or whatever that makes their union official so they can be considered a family for legal reasons like next of kin benefits, etc. , who cares what it’s called?

By the way, that catch was Asante’s fault not Rodney’s. Rodney was covering for Asante who was doing his own thing…as usual.

55. rammerray says: Jun 20, 2011 4:13 PM

You know, there’s a reason why this guy’s not in the league anymore. I think we all can see why…..stupidity!

56. myeaglescantwin says: Jun 20, 2011 4:14 PM

THIS JUST IN !

David tyree would trade his catch ,,,, for an actuall career.

the only reason these clowns were in the playoffs was Don Mac was injured all year.

& seriously, in the SB who puts single coverage on plaxico

57. nflsucker says: Jun 20, 2011 4:16 PM

And just to show there are no hard feelings, I’ll give anything I catch to David Tyree.

58. boknowsvt says: Jun 20, 2011 4:20 PM

berniemadoffsides says: Jun 20, 2011 3:52 PM

*******************************************************

Your comment implies that David Tyree is a celebrity. I assumed that he was a one-catch-wonder.

59. jonscoit says: Jun 20, 2011 4:20 PM

I find it fascinating how few social conservatives have the courage of their convictions. If abortion is murder, why don’t they support criminal penalties for women who have abortions, support eliminating “exceptions” for rape and incest, and universally demand the murder or execution of doctors who perform abortions (some do, but they are lampooned as “fringe” characters rather than rank-and-file social conservatives)? If Tyree thinks gay marriage goes against God, why is he willing to tolerate some civil-status-tantamount-to-marriage for gays as long as they don’t SAY they are married? Makes no sense.

60. yankees2009 says: Jun 20, 2011 4:20 PM

HAHAHAHA what a stupid ******* idiot this guy is!

61. CKL says: Jun 20, 2011 4:24 PM

myeaglescantwin says:
    Jun 20, 2011 4:14 PM
    THIS JUST IN !

David tyree would trade his catch ,,,, for an actuall career.

& seriously, in the SB who puts single coverage on plaxico
    _____________________________
    1)Dmac being hurt didn’t hurt their going to the playoffs in 06.
    2) It was a blitz, that’s why Hobbs was singled up on Plax. Plus he got faked out of his shoes.

62. melonnhead says: Jun 20, 2011 4:25 PM

whatever happened to the phrase “separation of the church and state”?

——————————————————–

What about it? It’s still not in the Constitution.

63. 1mge says: Jun 20, 2011 4:26 PM

40% divorce rate includes 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th marriages. 85% of 1st time marriages don’t end in divorce. Tyree is fine with gay couples getting marital rights… just don’t call it marriage.

Start free agency already so we don’t need to read these garbage interviews & comments that follow!

64. boknowsvt says: Jun 20, 2011 4:26 PM

caliviking805 says: Jun 20, 2011 4:03 PM

Correction*
    Dolphinesrule should go to a shrink.

*********************************************************

and this post goes to show that inbred rednecks have a problem with grammar.

65. jwm24 says: Jun 20, 2011 4:28 PM

Of course God created marriage. He created all things!! Amazing how that has gotten lost over the years. Just becuase we stopped believing in Him doesn’t mean he doesn’t exist.

66. kevpft says: Jun 20, 2011 4:36 PM

The people here who are complaining about the “intolerance” for Tyree and what he’s saying are the ones who don’t get it.

Tyree is saying that an entire swath of the population shouldn’t have the basic rights that others have. And the reason they shouldn’t have those rights? His own personal religion.

If you read closer, no one’s saying he doesn’t have the right to his opinion, or voicing it. He’s being called an idiot, but no one’s saying he shouldn’t have the right to his opinion.

But he is saying that millions of other people around the world shouldn’t have the right to do something that’s based in love, strengthens the bonds of family and community, and hurts absolutely no one.

If you can’t see the difference there, you’re blind, deluded, and dangerous.

67. panther74 says: Jun 20, 2011 4:36 PM

pay attention “ROGER” and “DeMAURICE”…this crap is what we have to talk about during a lockout. I dont want my sports caught up with my politics or my religion. THANKS GUYS! END THIS LOCKOUT!

68. cosanostra71 says: Jun 20, 2011 4:38 PM

I love all the bitter Patriot fans in here saying that his catch was “luck”

69. forevercorr says: Jun 20, 2011 4:43 PM

David Tyree is entitled to his opinion. I disagree with it, but that’s fine. I also appreciate the fact that he’s fine with gay couples getting all the rights of marriage without using the “m” word. Truth is, if you really believe in separation of church and state, the states should recognize individual civil liberties in allowing a union between any two consenting adults… but a religious organization such as a church has every right to deny any individual service like any other private institution. Whatever.

What’s most startling to me is that someone thought to ask him “Miracle catch or block on gay marriage? Which do you prefer?” Who is the brainiac reporter who came up with that crap question?

70. joegibbsisking says: Jun 20, 2011 4:43 PM

@ ponderqb

—————————————————————————————————————————

Exactly. People will be pissed off about this, but thats David Tyree’s personal opinion on the matter. This is America, and people can say whatever you want. If you don’t like what people say, don’t listen.

71. berniemadoffsides says: Jun 20, 2011 4:45 PM

@ prnandhomeless:

Understood, but David Tyree isn’t namecalling – he’s just stating his beliefs. He’s not saying, “You’re crazy if you’re pro-gay marriage!” That’s the difference between him and the people who are *are* calling him “nuts”. You can disagree, but you ultimately lose credibility by saying, “You’re a lunatic if you disagree with our opinion!”, despite how justified it may be. He says it’s wrong, others say it right – that’s life.

If Rosie O’Donnell goes on TV and says “Gay marriage is right”, absolutely no one will attack her for it for fear they’ll be “crucified” for it, as you put it. So David Tyree says something, and lo and behold, he’s instantly labeled as a bigot. There’s a bit of hypocrisy in this circumstance, you can’t deny that. And I’m not saying everyone’s taking this approach – some are taking the high road.

I originally read this story on Yahoo and couldn’t believe how biased their side of the story was. I just think there’s no need to be so militant and stoop low by calling someone “insane” for stating their religious beliefs. Unless someone’s religious beliefs legitimately threaten your way of life (i.e., Al-Qaeda wanting to wipe the “infidels” off the face of the earth), you can disagree but not attack. Once you attack, you ruin everything that’s great and American about free speech.

And for the record, I’m not anti-gay marriage at all – it’ll happen in the next 5 years, tops. I’m just against people blasting someone for speaking his/her mind, though I suppose it IS your “right” to handle the situation as you warrant appropriate. What two people do in the privacy of their own home does not affect my life whatosever. Go ahead and get married… I couldn’t care less (minus all financial repercussions from inevitable tax increases, whatever reasons state and federal governments will utilize to capitalize on this). I’m actually curious to see how divorce rates will compare between gays and straights, all joking aside.

72. steelerdynasty2010 says: Jun 20, 2011 4:46 PM

gee, a bigot hiding behind religion to justify his bigotry? never hear that much….

are you really any less married because the dudes across the street are “married” too? does it really make you any less committed to your wife? if either answer is yes, you really need to examine why you got married in the first place…i really hope it wasnt because the dudes across the street are prohibited by law from doing the same. and i certainly hope that your commitment to your wife isnt predicated on whether or not the constitution prohibits gay marriage. why do people care so much? let ‘em get married..BRING BACK FOOTBALL!!!!

73. nostrallamas says: Jun 20, 2011 4:47 PM

David Tyree an caliviking805 have been spending too much time with Michele Bachmann…

74. radiofriendly420 says: Jun 20, 2011 4:48 PM

I mean, our parents told us the Easter Bunny was real too when we were kids.

At some point we were able to realize that the Easter Bunny isn’t real. Why can’t we do the same thing with these fairytales?

75. xtb3 says: Jun 20, 2011 4:49 PM

Whatta hypocrite! He thinks we all didn’t see him hugging his team-mates very firmly and closely after that game!

76. smellmyface says: Jun 20, 2011 4:52 PM

Whats the purpose of life? Grow up, get married…Have a couple kids and have fun along the way. Now someone explain to me how its possible for 2 queers to naturally have kids? Not possible you bunch of PC people are out of your mind. Its now wonder why America is not the top country anymore.

77. berniemadoffsides says: Jun 20, 2011 4:52 PM

@ boknowsvt :

One catch, celebrity – whatever. He caught that ball, and the Giants won one of the greatest Super Bowls of all time.

(He WAS a heck of a special teams player, for the record)

78. mediasloppy says: Jun 20, 2011 4:58 PM

Civil Unions: Problem solved
    Marriage: Do it through you’re Church

79. pigeonpea says: Jun 20, 2011 4:59 PM

jonscoit says:

I think it is people in general that lack “courage of conviction”. Social liberals are the first ones to scream their rights are being trampled on (eg. the “right” to marry a same-sex partner) yet are the first ones to rip apart the freedom of speech of anyone who disagrees with them (usually labelling it a “hate crime”).

80. kcflake says: Jun 20, 2011 5:04 PM

To quote the Great George W. Bush, “Marriage is supposed to be between a man and a woman” That says it all.

81. jasncondit says: Jun 20, 2011 5:11 PM

Simply put. If you follow God, you’re against same-sex Marriage and same-sex relationships period. If you’re not a follower of God, you think it is perfectly fine, or you just don’t care about the consequences. But please don’t say you are a follower of God if you believe this lifestyle is OK. Because you are not.

To the liberals and those who support this, you may find satisfaction in me telling you that eventually this will move in your favor. Of course you won’t find satisfaction in me telling you that it will only last for a time. Then you’ll be kneeling before God and confessing He was everything He said He was and more just before your exit to your doom. And I for one will not be applauding it but will be sad that you CHOSE that end. No jokes, no laughter, only wishing you had woke up before it was too late.

82. supashug says: Jun 20, 2011 5:12 PM

I saw some lesbians going at it when I was out at dinner with my wife Saturday, it was awesome, tried to take pictures but it was too dark for my blackberry.

I hope they get married

83. gpete1962 says: Jun 20, 2011 5:15 PM

xtb3 says: Jun 20, 2011 4:49 PM

_____________________________________

You must be a turd burglar !!

84. bearsrulepackdrool says: Jun 20, 2011 5:30 PM

What gives any of you the right to tell a person how he or she should live their life?

What they do inside their bedroom is their own problem.

I don’t care if you believe in God or not but trying to force your own beliefs on someone else is just WRONG!

Let them do what they feel. You can’t save everybody.

Plus, you complaining about them going against God’s wishes…what are you a perfect SAINT!? Have you sinned?

85. brutus9448 says: Jun 20, 2011 5:33 PM

All this means is that he’s in fact gay himself.

86. deadmanwalking47 says: Jun 20, 2011 5:35 PM

the world would be lot better if everybody minded their own damn business and did’nt worry about the lives and fate of others!gay people have just as much of a right to get married as the rest of us have too!
    if it’s a great marriage or bad marriage,it’s up to them!

87. ddjesus says: Jun 20, 2011 5:36 PM

You know, 50 years ago this conversation was being had about interracial marriage…

88. jwm24 says: Jun 20, 2011 5:38 PM

Well said jasncondit!!!!!!!!! “Every knee shall bow. . . . “

89. TheDPR says: Jun 20, 2011 5:40 PM

David Tyree translated into plain English: “I believe my imaginary invisible friend in the sky is against gay marriage, so I am, too.”

We need freedom FROM religion far more than we need freedom OF religion.

90. billybats says: Jun 20, 2011 5:49 PM

I care far more about what David Tyree thinks than what the alleged “social libertarian” author of this post thinks.

Also, I live in New York and have three kids and would kindly appreciate that the state stop trying to contravene thousands of years of human history and define marriage as something it’s not in order to curry favor with lefties like the “social libertarian” author of this post. Are my kids going to be forced to attend gay weddings now as a “teachable moment”? What a joke.

91. andjmoore says: Jun 20, 2011 5:54 PM

How many times can I “like” kevpft’s comment?

92. billybats says: Jun 20, 2011 5:54 PM

jwm24 says: Jun 20, 2011 3:37 PM

He’s right. He is brave to stand up and say it too. …A marriage was defined by God since HE created it to be with one man and one woman. You can’t have a marriage without those two pieces anymore than you can have a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich made with ham and swiss cheese. The ingredients just aren’t there!!! David didn’t come across hating. . . he is just standing for what he believes in. Proud of you Tyree.

I agree with you jwm24…and I am proud of Tyree too.

93. emperorzero says: Jun 20, 2011 5:57 PM

Call it Marriage, call it a Civil Union, call it Bazinga – I don’t care – as long as gay couples are afforded the same privledges under the law a heterosexual couple is allowed. To me it’s more important that a partner has say in medical matters or can be on their partner’s health insurance than whether you call it marriage or something else.

94. digirootune says: Jun 20, 2011 5:57 PM

The moment God cures ONE amputee, I’ll believe everything written in that silly book.

95. dolphindad says: Jun 20, 2011 6:03 PM

David,

this is GOD posting this message. Please STFU. You dont speak for me. Too many hits to the head make only make you think you do. I love all my children.

96. bowwserr says: Jun 20, 2011 6:11 PM

A question to all the “God-fearing” people who are making misguided and ignorant comments:

Does the bible not say that none shall judge Man except God Himself? And doesn’t it also say that “sin is sin?” So you’re telling me that it’s ok that men cheat on their wives, which is perfectly legal, but when a man wants to marry another man, it’s the worst thing in the world?

Go back and read your Bibles again, folks.

97. kingjoe1 says: Jun 20, 2011 6:15 PM

Hi world, please achieve perfection in your life before condemning another persons life.

98. closisgood says: Jun 20, 2011 6:23 PM

Its ok to protest for, but not against it?

99. realphinsfan says: Jun 20, 2011 6:23 PM

When my american car breaks down, I blame american car makers.

So if God created marriage, and marriages are failing left and right, it is then HIS fault.

Fix your system GOD!! LOL

100. depotnator says: Jun 20, 2011 6:23 PM

Try to figure out the constituency of this site: pro-owner, anti-labor, pro-gay rights, and a host of other inconsistencies. Regardless of what might be PC to say, there can’t be too many red-blooded, Christian men and women who support same-sex marriage. For most people, marriage is a religious ceremony, and very few religions support same sex marriage. As Tyree stated, one can support equal rights and civil union without supporting the undermining of traditional religious principles. Let’s not be hypocritical about what marriage has historically represented: a union between man and woman. It’s humorous to read the comments from the suddely liberal tea party advocates on here.

101. yankees2009 says: Jun 20, 2011 6:34 PM

jwm24 says: Jun 20, 2011 4:28 PM

——————–
    He doesn’t exist b/c he never existed you poor, brainwashed simpleton. Stop letting the fictional “Invisible Old Man Living In The Sky” fairytale help you decide your opinion, it’s not healthy (or right).

102. yankees2009 says: Jun 20, 2011 6:37 PM

TheDPR says: Jun 20, 2011 5:40 PM

We need freedom FROM religion far more than we need freedom OF religion.

——————–

Thank you!

103. drednot says: Jun 20, 2011 6:41 PM

Good for him!!! It takes guts for someone to speak his mind in this day and age when that opinion doesn’t agree with the perverted socialist agenda! It seems to me the liberals in this country always jump down your throat when you DON’T agree with them!

Good for Tyree and the rest of us who worship Jesus, lets stand by our principles!!

104. upperdecker19 says: Jun 20, 2011 6:44 PM

As a married man, I warn gay couples to be careful as to the rights that they fight for.

You can get in a disagreement, decide your don’t like your partner anymore, or whatever. Split up…..and keep half of your possessions…no questions asked.

I’m sure lawyers for the NFLPA* and owners hate this concept.

105. buffaloblows says: Jun 20, 2011 6:45 PM

TheRealist says:
    Jun 20, 2011 3:11 PM
    David Tyree also thought the devil was in him and had an exorcism.

Maybe it was his uncle who was in him, not the devil and that’s why he is so upset about gays

106. heisthejuan says: Jun 20, 2011 6:45 PM

Whatever some book written thousands of years ago to keep the masses docile must be right. Most of you fervent Christians do realize that your ancestors were originally brought to “see the light” by conquering armies and missionaries right? That book has brought as much if not more destruction to the world than healing.

107. spennyhatch says: Jun 20, 2011 6:53 PM

jwm24 says:

” Just becuase we stopped believing in Him doesn’t mean he doesn’t exist.”

Wow, i TOTALLY agree with that post!

Signed,
    Santa Claus

p.s. So, when people say god created everything including marriage, was that in the original bible, or one of the many rewrites/revisions? Just curious….

108. thegonz13 says: Jun 20, 2011 6:58 PM

David, this is God… Stop using my name to drive your stupid, ignorant and narrow-minded points across.

Thank you.

109. bucks12965 says: Jun 20, 2011 7:00 PM

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

110. fonetiklee says: Jun 20, 2011 7:05 PM

Dear religion,

Either get out of politics, or start paying taxes.

Thanks,
    People who realize organized religion is a sham.

111. lostsok says: Jun 20, 2011 7:22 PM

“drednot says: Good for him!!! It takes guts for someone to speak his mind in this day and age when that opinion doesn’t agree with the perverted socialist agenda!”

What does being gay have to do with being a socialist? One is a sexual orientation the other is a economic system. You’re comparing apples to horseshoes.

It’s fine to have an option, but don’t be a twit.

112. TheWizard says: Jun 20, 2011 7:30 PM

I don’t believe in organized religion myself.

But those of you that would mock God are fools.

113. bearsbulls34 says: Jun 20, 2011 7:33 PM

Christians that depend on the Old Testement in arguing against same-sex marriage are being selective in their application of the scripture. Any Rabbi will tell you that the Talmod is intended for followers of the Jewish faith, not Christians. Do you consider the consumption of shellfish to be equally sinful? If you’re truly a Christian, then leave judgement up to God.

114. imjinbrdgr says: Jun 20, 2011 7:45 PM

I’m sure some of the “demons ” that he had driven out of his head were those that were making him be attracted to to other men. Any one that worried about other peoples lifestyle have some deep seated fears of there own.

115. bigtrav425 says: Jun 20, 2011 8:02 PM

This guy is my new fav person! Glad someone in the public eye,no matter how small he is in it is speaking out against it for a change!..even as a Atheist i agree with this nutcase

116. drexelvol says: Jun 20, 2011 8:03 PM

He’s a douche and a bigot.

117. mdnittlion says: Jun 20, 2011 8:15 PM

In the immortal words of Nick Nolte:

“You took the purest thing in your life and corrupted it, for what? For what?”

Enough Said

118. lebronsinsecurity says: Jun 20, 2011 8:18 PM

I love how the bible thumpers cherry pick the bible to fit in with their skewed view of the world..

Example:

Exodus 21:20 “If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property.”

I’m not f***** kidding, this is the bible… No wonder the religious folks seem uneducated, they believe this nonsense…

119. goawayeverybody says: Jun 20, 2011 8:19 PM

How do you spell “moron”?

D-A-V-I-D-T-Y-R-E-E

120. terrellblowens says: Jun 20, 2011 8:21 PM

I think it’s extremely stupid for people to care so much about what other people do with their lives.

121. robdolphins says: Jun 20, 2011 8:24 PM

All people should have equal rights in this great country…This great country gives us freedom of speech..You guys are using your freedom of speech simply to bash David Tyree , because David Tyree excercised his freedom of speech..Crazy, huh?

122. goawayeverybody says: Jun 20, 2011 8:29 PM

By the way, I know someone who was raped so according the Old Testament I am required to stone her to death, correct?

123. MichaelEdits says: Jun 20, 2011 8:33 PM

Further proof that being an NFL-caliber player doesn’t make you a genius. Put him in the broadcast booth and wonder if he’ll praise Norman Einstein.

124. norseman69 says: Jun 20, 2011 8:39 PM

looks like the nazi liberal screeners are too afraid to post my commements..

125. heisthejuan says: Jun 20, 2011 8:43 PM

TheWizard says:
    Jun 20, 2011 7:30 PM
    I don’t believe in organized religion myself.

But those of you that would mock God are fools.
    ===================================

I think most of us are mocking organized religion, which, to me, has almost nothing to do with who/whatever God might be.

126. bcgreg says: Jun 20, 2011 8:46 PM

@ lebronsinsecurity

Nice “cherry pickin” yourself, tool.

127. ravensfan4life52 says: Jun 20, 2011 8:52 PM

worthless

128. johnjosephyossarian says: Jun 20, 2011 8:55 PM

@berniemadoffsides

“What made this country great is the fact that once upon a time we could speak our minds so long as we weren’t verbally attacking others.”

__

Tell me when that was, will ya.

Some of you are nostalgic for time that never was.

129. skhill7 says: Jun 20, 2011 9:03 PM

As a Giants fan…. I really really really dislike Tyree now. Can’t hate em tho.. 18-1

130. melonnhead says: Jun 20, 2011 9:18 PM

Marriage has been cheapened enough already. The perks, privileges and considerations that come with it are incentives for heterosexual couples to join and procreate in order to further the existence of the species.

It’s not an equal rights issue because straights are not allowed to marry members of the same sex, either. Even though it might prove advantageous for them to do so.

131. melonnhead says: Jun 20, 2011 9:20 PM

——————————————————

What do YOU care what others do with their lives?

132. Bubby Brister says: Jun 20, 2011 9:32 PM

“It’s somewhat ignorant to argue for gay marriage. A marriage was defined by God since HE created it to be with one man and one woman.”

It is no more ignorant than what you just said. If the truth was as clear as day, there would be no argument and this forum would not be barreling towards 200 comments. True ignorance only comes from the amount of conviction in people’s beliefs.

Remember, the operative word here is “belief”.

133. kotapug says: Jun 20, 2011 9:35 PM

Adam & Eve not Adam & Steve
    If that is what the book he believes in says what does it matter to you people. As soon as some one wears a gay pride shirt its just them expressing them selves but if someone wears a straight pride shirt the linch mob is called out.

134. goawayeverybody says: Jun 20, 2011 9:40 PM

I wonder if Eli Manning or Tom Coughlin agree with Tyree’s sentiment that he would give back the Super Bowl Title just to stop gay marriage.

I’m thinking not.

135. goawayeverybody says: Jun 20, 2011 9:40 PM

Btw, isn’t it funny how all the bigots misspell even the simplest of words?

136. defensiveplaymaker says: Jun 20, 2011 10:00 PM

Agreed Mr. Tyree, gay marriage should not be allowed!

137. 3ghostninja says: Jun 20, 2011 10:06 PM

Kudos to Tyree for having the guts to stand for his beliefs (and the beliefs of millions of Christians).

What this issue along with abortion, assisted suicide, teen pregnancy, the structure of the home, etc. stems out of one main issue:

Is God there? If so, did he really say “. . . “? How do we really know what he said? In other words, you will never understand this and other issues the way Tyree and others do unless you are a believer and you believe that God said what is recorded in the Bible and that he meant it.

Out of that understanding comes the definition of marriage — inferred from the first union between Adam and Eve recorded in Genesis. It was and always has been the union between one man and one woman. Anything else is just that — something else.

So why call it marriage? Why not just let Christians have that term? Most people nowadays never bother to get married in the first place and things seem to work OK for them.

138. lebronsinsecurity says: Jun 20, 2011 10:14 PM

bcgreg:

You dolt.. I was proving a point using the same tactics.. I guess my assumption of being uneducated was correct

139. baldeagle6 says: Jun 20, 2011 10:33 PM

“Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces” (Sermon on the Mount, Matt 7:6).

‘Nuf said!

140. andyreidisfat says: Jun 20, 2011 10:45 PM

So i have always been a strong believer in thinking however you choose as long you don’t do anything to anyone else. That being said what Tyree is saying is insane. And I am all for the Christians (and yes it is christians) who runs adoptions to choose who they adopt out to but if they are going to discriminate well then they must loose their tax exempt status and pay taxes like the rest of us ( if i had it my way the biggest corporation in the world would already be paying taxes ).

Now as far as this nut Tyree, does anyone take anyone seriously who says they have had an exorcism performed on them ??? Really ?? Really ? C’mon. This is a non story. This guy is a nut case and should be locked away. He has a right to his opinion but we also have the right to make as much fun of him if he puts it out there.

Here’s the truth folks. Everyone should be treated like crap equally in this country.

141. terminatorlikesmaids says: Jun 20, 2011 10:47 PM

When society demands me to alter my belief in Biblical truths, and begin to teach my kids acceptance of ungodly lifestyles as defined by the Bible, then society has crossed my line of freedom first. I didn’t attack you, you are pushing me first. I have the right to teach my kids what the Bible says, without interference from a person that wants me to accept their misguided convicitons. I have the right to tell my kids, what is right and wrong, without someone calling me a bigot, or intolerant, or crazy, or whatever. In my opinion, based on years of Biblical study and prayer, God’s judgement is real and it is not coming to justify me or you, but it is coming. I will teach my kids righteous things. And your name calling rhetoric will not stop it. Here’s to you DT.
    Hey Lebron, funny how you can pull one scripture out in an attempt to justify your non belief, but Christian’s in your opinion can’t use multiple verses about sexual immorality to justify theirs. You have no knowledge about God’s word and should refrain from trying to teach other’s about what it teaches.

142. rajbais says: Jun 20, 2011 10:58 PM

Why is this “one catch wonder” given the platform for political talk??? This guy’s career at wide receiver makes Freddie Mitchell look like a Hall of Famer!!!

Tyree!!! Who cares if gay people get married because “married life” sucks anyways!!!!!!!! Again, I don’t mean to mention the NBA but I’m on the same page with Charles Barkley. He once said “I don’t care how many gay people get married I aint never gonna marry no guy!!!!!”

I also agree with Barkley when he says that an increase of gay marriages won’t be an “epidemic” or cause other guys to start kissing because they saw a gay couple do it.

143. bcgreg says: Jun 20, 2011 11:57 PM

@ lebronsinsecurity

So, you’re saying people who believe in the Bible and who are Christians are uneducated? How uneducated is that blanket statement? Not ALL Christians take every word in the Bible literally, ya know.

If your point was to show how some religious fanatics might ‘cherry pick’ a passage to make their point, then I agree. Most fanatics would. However, what you have done is take a passage that has simply zero relevance to the issue let alone make a salient point. You have also disparaged the opinion of Tyree and millions of others (as have most others who agree with you) as if you are more enlightened than everyone who disagrees with you. How elitist of you.

If you read Tyree’s quotes again, nowhere does it say that he dislikes gays or that they don’t deserve the same “marriage” rights as straights. He simply states that the word “civil union” should be used instead of the word “marriage” because of his religious beliefs. Sorry, but there’s nothing wrong with that. What makes your beliefs so much better than others that you jump to the conclusions that since someone says they’re against gay marriage that they dislike gays. It’s simply not the case here and in most instances.

144. heisthejuan says: Jun 20, 2011 11:58 PM

@terminatorlikesmaids

Not surprised that a sheep is going to teach his children to be sheep too. “Baah” Social control of the masses practiced, preached, and passed down for scores of generations, as the powerful stay powerful and the weak stay ignorant. Convince a young child he never has to fully die, and he’ll believe the lie for a lifetime.

145. bcgreg says: Jun 21, 2011 12:02 AM

@ lebronsinsecurity

Your assumption was not correct. You just didn’t make your point clear enough. I’m educated enough. Trust me.

146. bowwserr says: Jun 21, 2011 12:40 AM

@ bcgreg — Elitist? You’re calling people in favor of gay marriage Elitists? I’m gay. Last time I checked, I want saying you were going to hell for your beliefs. And yet you sit in front of your computer, cell phone, and/or tablet, typing away my ultimate judgement by your God. Who is right and wrong in this whole argument is ultimately relative. But you are telling me that I can not marry another man because it goes against YOUR religion. So you are, in a sense, forcing your religion on me. Religion is amazing. It is essential to humanity. But someone else’s religion should not tell me I can or can not do something. We are not Elitists, sir. We are simply asking for the right to live as we please, to be able to make our own decisions, and not have those decisions made by other people. I do not tell you how to raise your children; please stop telling me I can not be married to the love of my life.

147. bowwserr says: Jun 21, 2011 12:48 AM

*Last time I checked, I WASN’T saying you were going to hell for your beliefs.

148. phonecops says: Jun 21, 2011 1:05 AM

So does that mean my friends Darrell and Tami can’t be married because they don’t want children?
    Or someone who is XXY or XYY?
    Who can they marry?
    Gender is not always so simple, yes for 98% of us it’s easy, but with almost 7 billion people out there, we are leaving out an awful lot of them.

200 years ago Catholics couldn’t marry Protestants, 100 years ago Whites couldn’t marry blacks (or Indians or Orientals).

149. yankees2009 says: Jun 21, 2011 2:11 AM

terminatorlikesmaids says: Jun 20, 2011 10:47 PM

“I have the right to tell my kids, what is right and wrong, without someone calling me a bigot, or intolerant, or crazy, or whatever.”

——————

You can do that just as well without all that Biblical B.S. for extra incentive. Most people are born knowing what is right and wrong: it’s instinctual for everyone (excluding sociopaths).

“In my opinion, based on years of Biblical study and prayer, God’s judgement is real and it is not coming to justify me or you, but it is coming.”

——————–

Dude, how do you know that? You don’t know that, stop preaching. It’s a fiction novel written by mankind designed to scare and control primitive people. The only reason you believe in the Bible is because you were most likely raised in a Christian home and were told all of these Biblical stories at a young age long before your mind was capable of having a real sense of logic to argue anything. You believed what you were told and still do to this day.

If you had been born into a Muslim family, you would believe in Islam. If you were born to a family thousands of years ago in Ancient Greece, you would believe in Apollo, Zeus, Hera, etc. The only reason you believe in your Christian Bible is because your were born into a Christian home. Think about it, and ask yourself if you would truly believe this stuff if it was presented to you at the age of 18, rather than from the moment you were born.

150. piemasteruk says: Jun 21, 2011 3:13 AM

I wonder if a gay Patriots fan would make the same trade.

151. cornersss says: Jun 21, 2011 9:13 AM

Why cant people accomplish things in their life by themselves ,for themselves?

Why does it always have to be god?

And what a moron for even bringing it up

““[O]nce you allow something like -fill in blank-, it opens up the door for a continual softening to the backbone of our society, which will eventually, for generations to come, open up the door for who knows”

Scare tactics,you sound like a politician now.

People used this argument to keep blacks as slaves and to also continue to lock up our people over stuff they put in their bodies.

Your god is not the best, hes not the end all be all.So please stop telling us how great he is, all i see is hate.

Grrr, whats with athletes? We love em, we love em, then they say something so stupid out of no where it leaves you scratching your head. Im bummed after this comment and after Adrien Petersons slave comments, sucks. I like both those players and what they have done.

152. cornersss says: Jun 21, 2011 9:22 AM

“politics = the most hypocritical arena there is”

Might as well be

Politics=Religion=the most hypocritical arena there is.

Id say both are extremely hypocritical and go through great lengths to hide things from the public. Both have lots of power and control, and rely on the long history and power of the institutions they now govern to rule the people.

People will do anything if you scare them into thinking they will lose the stability their country has had for the last few hundred years.

153. cornersss says: Jun 21, 2011 9:28 AM

“He simply states that the word “civil union” should be used instead of the word “marriage” because of his religious beliefs”

Why do his religious believes matter more? Because that is what is going on.

Also, civil unions ARE NOT THE SAME. In most states you don’t get the same rights at all when your spouse dies or other ownership issues come up.

Thats not all he is simply stating either. He wants them to not use the word marriage, but he also wants it so priests can pick and choose who they marry. I don’t see how this is any different then choosing by color,and its wrong.

If a religion said whites cant marry blacks, is that alright? Because MY god said so? No, i don’t think it is. Its why religion needs to stay out of politics and peoples lives if they don’t want it.

154. cornersss says: Jun 21, 2011 9:35 AM

“What makes your beliefs so much better than others”

Because his beliefs,gay marriage, is illegal. Why? Because some religions are against it.

Ask your question to yourself. Why do your beliefs make it currently illegal to marry the same sex?

Its all hate, one way or another. Black,blue, gay, green,yellow. Were all people. Keep religion out of it.

155. waynefontes says: Jun 21, 2011 9:42 AM

————————————————–

I honestly stopped reading after that.

156. bowwserr says: Jun 21, 2011 10:10 AM

For the record, I love how this story, one that centers around THE least talked about topic in sports, is getting commented on left and right. Don’t think I’ve seen this many people care about a story like this since I joined the site….hopefully it’s a sign that change is to come in the world of sports.

157. hateradeonrocks says: Jun 21, 2011 11:44 AM

i know everyone has the right to their opinion, but this opinion doesn’t deserve respect. tyree is an idiot.

158. mediasloppy says: Jun 21, 2011 11:55 AM

No wonder pro sports on every level has gays hiding in the closet…

159. bcgreg says: Jun 21, 2011 7:26 PM

@ bowwserr

I could personally care less WHAT you do. Really. I was simply stating a fact that most of you who disagree with Tyree simply discard him a some nut job. Just because I agree with him does not mean that I actually care about the issue enough to sacrifice something. I don’t think it’s worth the time to be honest.

You obviously have disdain for religion, but I did not ONCE push my or anyone else’s religion on you or anyone else. Folks like you are ELITIST on this point because you think that because I disagree with you that I am ‘scum’, an idiot, or a bigot or that I am pushing my beliefs on you, therefore elevating yourself to some higher standard of enlightenment. I’m not trying to persuade you. I’m not trying to prevent you. It’s you who think you are more enlightened than people who disagree with you by slinging mud. That’s being elitist. In reference to lebronsinsecurity, who I was addressing, he makes a blanket statement that those who disagree are uneducated. Again, how elitist of him (or her).

Again, if you read Tyree’s comments, which apparently you didn’t. You just saw “against gay marriage” and blew up without bothering to read. Last time. Tyree (nor I) did not say he dislikes gays or didn’t think they deserve the same STATE benefits. What he said was that he didn’t like the fact that the term ‘marriage’ was being used because it goes against his religion. He is FOR ‘Civil Unions’.

Maybe the politicians could placate EVERYONE by changing the rules regarding the benefits you receive in a civil union to equal the ones you receive in a marriage in each state. That way EVERYONE knows the deal, and it’s simply a matter of semantics. Who knows?

160. hatesycophants says: Jun 21, 2011 7:36 PM

hobartbaker and fancyleague both made me laugh out loud. Very funny posts, gentlemen.

161. bowwserr says: Jun 21, 2011 8:39 PM

@ bcgreg

I’d like to point out a few things.

1. It’s unfortunate that you, in an ironically hypocritical twist, did not read MY whole comment. I have no disdsain for religion. I said that religion is amazing, and I meant it; there was no sarcasm, intended or otherwise, in that statement. I called a certain other commenter a bigot because, well, he was talking as a bigot would. Though I may fail at doing so some times, I try to not sling mud unless it has been slung at me first.

2. How are you not pushing your beliefs on me? Let’s follow the facts: this story is on the topic of marriage; you believe, as a Christian, that marriage should only be between a man and a woman; therefore, I can not get married in your eyes because your God said so. Or so you believe. If that is not pushing your beliefs on someone, I don’t know what is. Would you feel the same way if they passed a law saying you could only eat kosher food?

You and I will, unfortunately, never see eye to eye on this, because we have different beliefs. You will always think it is ok for the Christian religion to rule over the laws made in this country, and I will always think that Christianity, in turn, is dabbling in issues that it should rather stay out of (i.e., gay marriage). And while you say you do not dislike gays, you are still very much content with giving us different labels. If it were to go the way of Civil Union, what would I check off in paperwork that I fill out? Civilly Unioned? I would not be able to check off the Married box, according to the way you would like things to be.

And for the record, if this entire topic is not worth your time, why did you spend that time (however little it apparently was) to read the comments that came after yours? The story must have struck a nerve somewhere inside of you.

I am not here to sling mud, or call anyone an idiot (except for the bigots who are acting like idiots). I am simply here to state the fact that Civil Union isn’t good enough for me for two reasons, the first being that my right to marriage is being denied by a religion that I do not believe in; and the second being that people like yourself and David Tyree will always view marriage as something more righteous than a Civil Union. Which means that, while you don’t hate us, you still view us as second class citizens. When you take a step back and read what you wrote, you in turn sound like an Elitist. I am not saying I am perfect. What I am saying is that the Christian religion needs to stay out of this topic, and that it is not yours, David Tyree’s, or your God’s right to meddle in things that do not affect you.

162. espnfeedback says: Jun 21, 2011 11:11 PM

I have to reacess my assumption about All rough, tough, beer drink’in Truck drivin’ Football Guys. Unlike my friends you guys are very progressive, evolved and apparently quite open to ‘Alternative Lifestyles’…….

@espnfeedback

163. rhf123 says: Jun 22, 2011 9:04 AM

I think Gay people have the right to be as miserable as the rest of the married folks. Tyree is a dunce.

164. theoriginalcaptainmarvel says: Jun 22, 2011 10:05 AM

There’s no reason why an able-bodied man should be able to act as a wife and sit at home and collect benefits and tax breaks from his ‘partner’. As usual, the issue is $$. To think it’s about rights or caring about people is a joke. Big government liberals will do anything to take money from working people (especially single, straight, and who do things the right way) and give benefits to who they see fit.

165. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Jun 22, 2011 7:23 PM

Marriage is a religious ceremony and should be left up to the particular church. If they wish to marry gay people then so be it. Legally, we should just refer to everyone as being in civil unions. This way the crazy Christians get their way and the crazy libs get their way. Its that simple.

166. heisthejuan says: Jun 23, 2011 2:34 AM

theoriginalcaptainmarvel says: Jun 22, 2011 10:05 AM

=================================

Well that’s an argument I haven’t heard before. When two men get married one instantly turns into Peggy Bundy because Obama said so. You’re a special type of crazy.

167. yahmule says: Jun 23, 2011 9:27 AM

I would trade Tyree’s catch if it would make him less of a snivelling bigot.

168. discosucs2005 says: Jun 23, 2011 4:31 PM

I wonder if there is a gay person out there who is secretly hoping that gay marriage never becomes legal because they are afraid of commitment?

That’s how boring this article is.

169. bcgreg says: Jun 23, 2011 5:02 PM

@ bowwserr

My initial ‘elitist’ comment was directed more at lebroninsecurity because he calls people who disagree on gay marriage uneducated. THAT is being elitist. How am I uneducated because I disagree with you?

170. debthebusybody says: Jun 23, 2011 8:42 PM

OK. sooooo….

171. som1com says: Jun 24, 2011 4:29 AM

bowwserr says: Jun 21, 2011 8:39 PM

So, you spent your entire post telling bcgreg how he imposed his beliefs on you and not to do it, and all the while you were imposing your beliefs on him. Telling him and anyone who reads the post that religion has no place in the topic.

The funny thing is, both of you were expressing your opinions and, the last time I looked, that was still legal in America.

172. nyjalleffingday says: Jun 25, 2011 1:05 AM

Gay marriage is now legal in New York.

Suck it, Tyree.

173. mdpickles says: Jun 25, 2011 10:05 AM

David Tyree is a bigot.

174. granadafan says: Jun 25, 2011 10:57 PM

“aznredneck says:
    Jun 20, 2011 3:28 PM
    whatever happened to the phrase “separation of the church and state”?

politics = the most hypocritical arena there is”

That’s what happens when the GOP lets the ultra religious fundamentalists run their party. If that wasn’t enough the Teabagging Party has the same extremist views. Now we have religious extremists like Bachmann and Rick Perry who don’t believe in evolution running for president (or soon will announce).

175. TheWizard says: Jun 26, 2011 11:28 AM

If that wasn’t enough the Teabagging Party

If you ever hope to score some points in a debate, best to leave the junior high vulgarity out.

But that seems to be all the liberals have when it comes to the Tea Party.

176. diditforthelulz1 says: Jun 26, 2011 4:39 PM

smellmyface says: Jun 20, 2011 4:52 PM

______________________________________

There are a ton of men and women who get married that are unable to have children. So by your logic they shouldn’t be able to marry. That pretty much applies to seniors too, lets take away their marital rights. A ton of people get married who don’t want kids. I’m married, and didn’t get married because I want kids…I got married because I love my wife. I will not have kids.

You have an absolute right to hate gays. It of course means you’re ignorant, but that is your right. What you don’t have the right to do is to deny equal rights to everyone. The people on here stating that those attacking Tyree are intolerant are completely wrong and probably stupid. Intolerance doesn’t mean you have to like someone, it merely means you tolerate them. You could still hate gay people and support their rights. Furthermore, people calling Tyree an idiot aren’t intolerant of him, because no one has stated that he should have his freedom of speech taken away, or be punished in anyway.

177. hendeeze says: Jun 27, 2011 1:24 AM

i hope his kids find same sex partners.