Devin Hester talks fatherhood

Divisional Playoffs - Seattle Seahawks v Chicago Bears Getty Images

Every Father’s Day we come across a number of stories related to the NFL, and they’re often, sadly, about absent fathers. That’s why it was particularly pleasant to read some Father’s Day thoughts from Devin Hester.

Hester, the Bears receiver and return man, spoke on Father’s Day about how the presence of his own father in his life was so important to him as a boy, and how being present in his son’s life is so important to him as a man.

“Time is more important than the having the best toy at Toys R Us or a new bicycle,” Hester said at a Father’s Day event, per the Daily Herald. “My brother and I were the only two kids with a father that stayed with their mama.”

Hester said he hopes his young son will some day have similar thoughts about his father.

“I want D.J. to tell his friends in middle school and elementary and high school that I have the best dad ever. Not the superstar on the football field, but off the field I have the best dad in the whole wide world,” Hester said. “I don’t know how much to stress how important it is to be in your kid’s life. Time is the most important thing you can give a kid. I just get a kick out of coming home and seeing how excited my kid is to see me walk in the door.”

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
16 Responses to “Devin Hester talks fatherhood”
  1. jutts says: Jun 20, 2011 9:48 AM

Kudos to you Devin, It’s a shame its not the norm anymore.

2. eaglesfan290 says: Jun 20, 2011 9:55 AM

Antonio Cromartie is still the king of fathers day!

3. bengalsown says: Jun 20, 2011 9:58 AM

“Not the superstar on the football field, but off the field I have the best dad in the whole wide world”
    ————–

Superstar? Settle down Devin…

4. Cheesehead Ken says: Jun 20, 2011 10:00 AM

This Packer fan will respect Devin Hester a little more from now on. He still scares the crap out of me on punt returns.

5. schmitty2 says: Jun 20, 2011 10:15 AM

Father’s day..also known as Antonio Cromartie Day

6. billygoat says: Jun 20, 2011 10:22 AM

Now if only more people would realize this.

7. jw731 says: Jun 20, 2011 10:24 AM

Good for his Pop, for being a Man, and raising a Man, and passing that onto his relationship with his son…As someone mentioned above, it’s a shame it seems so abnormal now….

8. fastrichie says: Jun 20, 2011 10:36 AM

As a lifelong Bear’s fan, I’m ashamed to admit that never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined those words coming from his mouth …

KUDOS to Devin for having his priorities in order and realizing what is truly important in life!!!

9. smoothjimmyapollo says: Jun 20, 2011 11:42 AM

Um, wasn’t bragging about things you’re supposed to do – such as raising your kids – a part of a Chris Rock routine?

10. joetoronto says: Jun 20, 2011 11:43 AM

Any man that leaves his kids is not a man at all, he’s just another selfish good for nothing bum.

That’s it.

11. lgbarn says: Jun 20, 2011 11:43 AM

jutts says:
    Jun 20, 2011 9:48 AM
    Kudos to you Devin, It’s a shame its not the norm anymore.

——————————————————————
    I would love to know who lone guy or gal that gave the thumbs down to this post and others like it.

As a father myself, there is nothing like the experience and kudos to Devin for being there for his children.

12. hobartbaker says: Jun 20, 2011 11:52 AM

Kid is excited to see Hester because he might be bringing a new bike or something from Toys R Us.

13. menentj says: Jun 20, 2011 11:53 AM

There is no greater honor than to be a FATHER. Not a sperm donor. We know that there are plenty of those around. And we know that it does not have to be your kid for you to be a FATHER.
    Very glad to hear those thoughts from Devin and as so many others mentioned, its sad that this is not the norm.

14. godofwine330 says: Jun 20, 2011 1:03 PM

Props to Hester for being a good father. It is a job that far too many people walk away from or are simply “checks in the mail”.

15. vinnienighttime says: Jun 20, 2011 2:25 PM

Aw, crap!

Now I gotta like a Chicago Bear.

I hope my fellow Packer fans can forgive me.

16. mountaindont says: Jun 20, 2011 2:46 PM

This Packer fans says what Devin Hester said and is doing should be “Man Law”