Thurman Thomas worries Michael Turner will break down

Washington Redskins v Atlanta Falcons Getty Images

Thurman Thomas knows what it’s like to be a workhorse NFL running back whose body eventually breaks down. When he looks at Falcons running back Michael Turner, he sees a player whose body won’t be able to take the wear and tear of being a workhorse back much longer.

While at an appearance in Georgia Thomas told the Atlanta Journal Constitution that the Falcons need to do a better job of keeping Turner fresh.

They need to start looking for another running back,” Thomas said. “Michael Turner, when you carry that ball 300 times a year for a few years, it puts some wear and tear on your body. I think they need another running back to give him a break every now and again.”

Turner has averaged more than 20 carries a game with the Falcons, with 888 rushing attempts in 43 games. That’s a tough pace to keep up.

Thomas does think, however, that Turner will benefit from playing in a dome. In fact, Thomas believes that if he had played in a dome during his career, he — not Emmitt Smith — would be the NFL’s all-time leading rusher.

“I talk to Emmitt and Barry Sanders a lot too,” Thomas said. “I said you know what, you guys have about two or three thousand yards more than I do, but come December I was playing in ice. I was playing in snow. If I was playing in Dallas or inside like Barry I’d probably would have another 3,000 yards. I could have been the all-time leading rusher if I didn’t play on ice, sleet and snow.”

For the record, Smith gained 6,281 more rushing yards than Thomas — not “two or three thousand.” But even if Thomas is wrong about that, he may be right about Turner: The carries are quickly piling up, and the Falcons probably can’t expect many more 300-carry seasons from their workhorse back.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
14 Responses to “Thurman Thomas worries Michael Turner will break down”
  1. abninf says: Jun 20, 2011 9:19 AM

So Thomas wasn’t a player who wanted the ball in his hands every play. Not the kind of guy I’d want on my team.

2. scott8nj says: Jun 20, 2011 9:20 AM

I’m not buying it, Thurman. You were good, but Emmitt and Sanders were better. Also, I thought teams run MORE in cold and wind anyway. Emmitt came up huge in big games, you got cramps, forgot your helmet and fumbled the ball. That said, you accomplished a lot in the NFL. Be happy with that and don’t try to lessen the accomplishments of others.

3. moonischasinme says: Jun 20, 2011 9:38 AM

I have been a Bills fan all my life and really enjoyed watching Thurm on the field. With that being said, anyone who follows him on Twitter can see that he is an angry, miserable, bitter man. He is constantly talking trash and snapping at his fans. It’s pretty sad actually.

4. schmitty2 says: Jun 20, 2011 10:10 AM

Thurman is bitter about the 4 Super Bowls and no ring to show for it

5. sharkcatcher says: Jun 20, 2011 12:33 PM

Funny, I don’t remember any snow or ice in those 4 superbowls ..are you the all time leading rusher in the postseason?

6. melonnhead says: Jun 20, 2011 12:39 PM

——————————————————

Hilarious. Emmitt also has like 100 more rushing TDs not to mention like 1600 more carries than TT, too. Try bouncing off guys like Andre Waters, Seth Joyner, LT, Carl Banks, Gouveia, Coleman et al 6 times a year minimum.

7. atlien698 says: Jun 20, 2011 12:40 PM

“If I was playing in Dallas or inside like Barry I’d probably would have another 3,000 yards. I could have been the all-time leading rusher if I didn’t play on ice, sleet and snow.”

—————————————–

Yeah, but you still would have lost your helmet, lost 4 SBs, etc….

8. boneyardbuc says: Jun 20, 2011 12:42 PM

Look at all the Trolls come out against Thurmo…

9. moonischasinme says: Jun 20, 2011 12:52 PM

“Hey jerks, maybe he was saying it jokingly. Most likely, this was all said in jest. Thomas, Smith and Sanders are contemporaries, you know, just like you and the mail man….”

Follow him on twitter for a week and then come back and tell me you think he’s joking.

10. lionsbandwagonisfull says: Jun 20, 2011 1:32 PM

Thurman Thomas (OSU-1987)
    Rushing Yards – 1613
    Total Yards – 1797
    TDs – 18

Barry Sanders (OSU-1988)
    Rushing Yards – 2628
    Total Yards – 3248
    TDs – 39

Did OSU play in a dome stadium in 1988?

11. beckzhere says: Jun 20, 2011 1:38 PM

Seriously guys? Not a single post about the “thread topic”.

Turner is getting a massive workload, but Jason Snelling is a great back-up with a very similiar style. Now that we can get rid of Norwood and replace him with Jaquizz, I think the Turner’s mandatory workhorse role can be decreased.

I have some colleagues who are predicting that we will trade Turner before the season. Get the most for him at his prime and use Snelling as the workhorse. Anything is possible.

12. henryjones20 says: Jun 20, 2011 1:47 PM

moonischasiame:

my only question 2 you is: if you hate the guy so much then why are you following his twitter account like a creepy stalker??

13. axespray says: Jun 20, 2011 7:31 PM

Dude Kinda has a Point,

Michael Turner tends to slow down late in the season, in the playoffs (after a bye) he only had 39 rushing yards (Packers were playing in their nickle defense the whole game).

Plus, Everyone knows when the Falcons are gonnna run the football, so you’ve got that plus everyone throwing themselves as hard as they can at Turner.

14. cmack21 says: Jun 21, 2011 5:59 PM

He already breaks down in the playoffs, 2 blowout losses at home. Falcons are sooo over-rated