Whisenhunt talks about upcoming quarterback hunt

K. Whisenhunt Getty Images

Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt doesn’t just want a quick fix at quarterback when the lockout ends.  He’d love to acquire a player to truly build around.

“If you had a chance to get a young quarterback you think could develop into a great player for you for a decade, as opposed to a veteran player you think could come in and help you right now, you’ve got to go with your evaluation and the player you have rated higher,” Whisenhunt said on Sirius radio with Adam Schein and Rich Gannon, via AZCardinals.com.

“Let’s say your number one [-rated] player is a player you think can help that position for  a long time to come, you’ve got to take that shot. It’s hard to find a guy to play that position in this league,” Whisenhunt said.

Folks could read into that statement a pro-Kevin Kolb sentiment, since Kolb sounds more like a long-term bet than Kyle Orton.

We tend to think that Whisenhunt wouldn’t give away much of anything in a national interview, and we’re all just bored by the lockout.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
21 Responses to “Whisenhunt talks about upcoming quarterback hunt”
  1. hobartbaker says: Jun 20, 2011 6:13 PM

Yeah, since Orton will be a creaky 28 years of age, and Kolb still a youthful 27 when the season begins, there is no doubt who offers more long term potential.

2. trbowman says: Jun 20, 2011 6:16 PM

Slob on the Kolb > Orton.

Playoffs with Kolb.

3. beastofeden says: Jun 20, 2011 6:18 PM

Everytime I read about Ken Wisenhunt it has to do with QB’s. Is this guy Mike Shanahon 2.0? With out the skills of a HOF QB he is just another coach.

4. trbowman says: Jun 20, 2011 6:33 PM

It’s not so much age as experience. Do you really think Orton is going to get much better than he already is?

Kolb on the other hand, as only had a few starts

5. greenbay4ever says: Jun 20, 2011 7:19 PM

Who cares. Its not lambeau field.

6. Soulman45 says: Jun 20, 2011 7:34 PM

Like I said in a early post why can’t a team get a QB and coach him up and have one for 10 to 15 years it seam the same 5 to 10 teams is looking for a QB every year that a problem that can be fix with a little planing.

7. threegriffons says: Jun 20, 2011 7:39 PM

Whisenhunt is a horrible coach, he is fiercely superstitious. He once said that if he spills salt before a game, he 100% believes that the game is lost, he also said in the same interview he has about a 100 of these “little” superstitions.

Who wants a coach that thinks he lost before they even step on the field????

How do the players react to this?

He also Believes USC is bad luck, Leinart was never giving a real chance (maybe he doesn’t deserve it, but hey, he couldn’t have done any worse the DA)

Before he traded Leinart on the local news he said its nothing personal, just buisness. After they got rid of him he said it Was personal… yeah great, put your feelings before winning(or not losing as badly, ehhh).

I’m not a Cards fan, I’m a transplant here. Its really hard to take at times, the fans and players deserve better.

8. ranger40 says: Jun 20, 2011 8:22 PM

threegriffons says:
    Jun 20, 2011 7:39 PM

Who wants a coach that thinks he lost before they even step on the field????

How do the players react to this?

________________________________
    Ummmm, you can go home now, would rather have die hard fans voice their opinion than some transplant that thinks he is an expert. Keep believing what you read and not the results on the field. Take Whiz’s coaching career(including Pittsburgh) and tell me he is an awful coach. If Whiz had his way, Leinart nor DA would’ve been the starting QB. He played with what he was dealt, and sometimes that is just a losing hand.

9. threegriffons says: Jun 20, 2011 8:46 PM

@ ranger40

Take what he’s dealt? How about coaching them up?

32-32-0 is his record, granted that .500 but with Kurt Warner.

And as far as results on the field, I think the defense quitting/ not showing up tells us a lot last year. In my opinion there is a lot of talent on the D. and Defense wins games.

And I’m not going buy what i read, this is what Whiz said in person and what I’ve seen in person.

I’ve been watching football for 30 years, I am by no means an expert, but i know enough that I don’t want a coach with a losing attitude.

great coordinators do not always make great coachs :(

10. threegriffons says: Jun 20, 2011 8:59 PM

@ ranger40

btw: if everyone who wasn’t born in Arizona left, Phoenix would be a ghost town. After 4 years here I’ve only met person who’s actually from here, and believe me, you don’t want his opinions on the Bidwills and Cards.

11. whoknowsnothing says: Jun 20, 2011 9:47 PM

@threegriffons

first you need to get out.

Most of my friends were born in AZ. That”s more than 30.

Whiz is a good coach, if he had his way Boldin, Dansby would still be Cardinals and as far as your friends opinion on the “Bidwills” I don’t think he would be wrong. The “Bidwills”(and Graves) control the Cardinals there for they are the product they try to produce on the field.

They need to get rid of the top three front office personal, so the Cardinals can have at least some consistency in winning games.

12. stairwayto7 says: Jun 20, 2011 9:48 PM

Kolb to the Cards for Dominique Rogers-Cromatie and a 2nd round pick.. The Cards will go ater AASOMOUGH then!!

13. ranger40 says: Jun 20, 2011 10:41 PM

threegriffons,
    I am merely saying Whiz likes to talk, half of which is smoke. Don’t believe everything you hear, most of it is for entertainment value. He took a franchise entrenched in losing and until this year didn’t have a losing record. He took a QB that was exiled and put his career back on the Hall of Fame track. Coaches get too much of the credit and too much of the blame. Give this guy a chance before you classify him as a “horrible coach.” I am one of the 20,000 that would show up in 110 degree weather at Sundevil Stadium to watch a losing team week in and week out. Believe me, what Whiz did in the short time he has been here is a miracle.

14. arzcardinals says: Jun 20, 2011 10:48 PM

In Whis I trust – season ticket holder

4 years – 2 NFC west titles
    1 NFC championship
    5 playoff victories

70 years prior to Whis – no titles and 1 playoff win

Eat that Whis haters

15. puddinpouch says: Jun 20, 2011 11:10 PM

There’s a certain 5th stringer in Houston who’s said to be a diamond in the rough. Won a national championship at USC about seven years back. Still a ton of tread left on the tires, hasn’t really taken a hit. Check him out, LOL

16. purdueman says: Jun 20, 2011 11:27 PM

For all the Jay Cutler distractors and haters out there, as a Bears fan all I can say is that the Bears aren’t even a little bit concerned as to who’s going to start at QB when the season eventually gets underway.

I’d hate to be a big fan of one of the franchises who either are rolling the dice on a raw rookie and/or hoping to land a veteran starter before the season starts.

To compound the problem for those franchises, some have new head coaches and/or offensive coordinators and are running out of precious time to implement the offenses that they wish to run.

I have been a big follower of the NFL since the late ’50′s and only wish that all of you could have seen the great Johnny Unitas play in his prime as I have (Montana was the best modern era QB I’ve ever seen play, but Johnny U. was better).

But I cannot ever remember a time when there’s been such a huge separation between teams who are set at QB and those who have not. It’s like oil and water.

17. threegriffons says: Jun 20, 2011 11:59 PM

@whoknowsnothing

Seriously take it easy, if you don’t realize that phoenix is a transplant city then maybe you need to get out more?
    Arizona Sports needs all the support it can get!
    (I happen to be diamondback season ticket holder)
    Always support your local teams. Even if there not your “home” team.

And i went to 6 of there games, 5 home, so please I still give them my money, as i love the NFL.

@ranger40
    Thanks,
    I’ll keep that mind when I hear him talk next, and just to put it out there, I root for the Cards when I can, so it was soooooo frustrating to watch them fall apart last year, they should have dominated NFC west easily, but it just seamed to be one heartbreaking play after another with only a few exceptional plays.

I’ll say it again, the defense is loaded with talent.
    Better then a 5–11 record.

18. cmack21 says: Jun 21, 2011 5:45 PM

Whisenhunt is kinda of a chump… he won with Dennis Green’s players, last season was telling of how “good” a coach he really is. Get ready for another 5-11 season Cardinals fans

19. backuppunter says: Jun 21, 2011 6:05 PM

Orton is the safe pick, experienced, cheaper, not bad, probably won’t ever be great. You would have to think about drafting a potential starter at the position. Kolb is the higher risk, higher reward pick. No one know how good he is yet. I would take Orton, but that’s mostly cause I like his beard and he looks kind of like dave grohl. but if they sign kolb to 8 year 300 million dollar deal, oh wait wrong sport, I hope I’m wrong about kolb i hope he turns out great. on the other hand maybe he is just trying to justify signing brady quinn or getting leinart back. the cardinals can be kind of cheap sometimes.

20. backuppunter says: Jun 21, 2011 6:08 PM

backuppunter says:Jun 21, 2011 6:05 PM

===================

Hey backup you don’t know what you’re talking about why don’t you just shut the front door up!
    your no qb expert give me a break!

21. purdueman says: Jun 21, 2011 7:53 PM

My take on the Cardinals QB dilemma:

1) They ain’t got one now, so any veteran would be an upgrade;

2) I wouldn’t give up my next years #1 for Kolb, but I would a #2 that could turn into a #1 based on total starts won;

3) With Orton you at least know what you’re getting (i.e., a middle of the pack veteran who’s likely hit his ceiling but doesn’t carry a lot of risk either). Orton I bet could now be had for a conditional #2 pick in next years draft (again based on games started and won);

4) Trent Dilbert won a Super Bowl and Kurt Warner was considered washed up when the Cardinals acquired him.

It doesn’t take a great QB to win a Super Bowl (Doug Williams wasn’t one and he immediately comes to mind too); it takes the right system and fitting the right pieces around an offense built to take advantage of a QB’s strengths (in Orton’s case, that’s ball control; not flashy, but it wins).

I see Kolb as being the next Matt Cassel; certainly more mobile than Orton, but like Cassel doesn’t have the ceiling to be a top 10 franchise QB (more like middle of the pack).