Browns intrigued by Terrelle Pryor

Allstate Sugar Bowl - Ohio State v Arkansas Getty Images

After leaving a big mess behind when he walked away from the Ohio State football program, Terrelle Pryor rivals LeBron James as the least popular athlete in Ohio right now. But that doesn’t necessarily means he’s leaving Ohio.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the Browns could take Pryor in the supplemental draft, and they’re at least interested enough that they’re doing their due diligence on him.

If the Browns were to take Pryor, it probably wouldn’t be as a quarterback, as Cleveland appears set with Colt McCoy as the starter and Seneca Wallace as the backup. But as NFL Network’s Mike Mayock has noted, Pryor could provide plenty of value as a hybrid quarterback/running back/receiver who takes some snaps in the wildcat formation.

At the very least, expect Browns President Mike Holmgren to give his buddy Jon Gruden a call and find out what he thinks.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
32 Responses to “Browns intrigued by Terrelle Pryor”
  1. thetooloftools says: Jun 21, 2011 9:53 AM

I don’t want this guy anywhere near my Browns. He is toxic and PLAYERS in Columbus were tired of his act.
    One of those “rather lose without him, then win with him” deals. The consummate “me, myself, and I” guy.

2. dawkinseffect says: Jun 21, 2011 10:00 AM

I’m sorry but this guy is worse the Jamarcus Russell. Unless he changes positions, he won’t last as QB in the NFL

3. philwauke says: Jun 21, 2011 10:10 AM

The only interest they have in Pryor is for marketing purposes.

4. brutus3413 says: Jun 21, 2011 10:15 AM

I can see a team using him in the same way the Jets used Brad Smith. Keep in the backfield…in the slot… any place that requires the attention of a defender or two.

5. whatsafairway says: Jun 21, 2011 10:28 AM

I think taking a passing comment by a new head coach that he is doing his due diligence on a local prospect and taking that to the stage of the Browns are “intrigued” is a bit of a leap.

6. burntorangehorn says: Jun 21, 2011 10:30 AM

Pryor’s a versatile player with some quarterbacking skills. He makes some boneheaded mistakes, and isn’t worth the top-five pick some had projected him to eventually be, but he’s definitely no slouch. Obviously the biggest problem is a projection of how the guy’s likely to conduct himself once he’s flush with cash. He’s already shown he has no regard for the law, his team (see: benefits), or good taste (see: painting Michael Vick’s name on his eyeblack while Vick was in prison).

7. comeonnowguys says: Jun 21, 2011 10:40 AM

This sounds a lot like Spring 2010, only replace Cleveland with Jacksonville and Pryor with Tebow.

He’ll be playing in Cleveland. Only it will be for the Gladiators.

8. clintonportisheadd says: Jun 21, 2011 10:41 AM

philwauke says: Jun 21, 2011 10:10 AM

The only interest they have in Pryor is for marketing purposes.

—————————

Are you crazy? Maybe in Detroit he would be embraced (the guy who did to hated Ohio State what Reggie Bush did to USC) but in Cleveland or Cincinnati he would be about as popular as Mike Vick at a PETA convention.

9. jeffro33 says: Jun 21, 2011 10:48 AM

Yes, the Cleveland Browns are interested in Terrelle Pryor- as a tackling dummy to gain popularity from the central part of Ohio…

10. sterling7 says: Jun 21, 2011 11:04 AM

Why?

11. tformation says: Jun 21, 2011 11:11 AM

When is the supp draft, anyway? The closest thing I’ve heard to specifics is “July.” Does the lockout make a difference with the supp. draft?

12. watchthisjack says: Jun 21, 2011 11:22 AM

They already have one of the best wildcat Qb’s in the game in Josh Cribbs….

13. supashug says: Jun 21, 2011 11:29 AM

of course they are interested in a crappy player, they are the freakin Browns, no news here

14. hineswardcriesafterfumbling says: Jun 21, 2011 11:42 AM

I don’t think Pryor even comes close to LeBron James as a hated athlete in Cleveland. He might have moved in the Braylon Edward’s place, but still far below James. Personally, I think Jose Mesa is a solid number 2.

15. bengalsown says: Jun 21, 2011 11:44 AM

LOL @ appearing “set” with Colt McCoy.

16. krow101 says: Jun 21, 2011 11:46 AM

Well that settles it … Pryor’s a bust.

17. bengalsown says: Jun 21, 2011 11:46 AM

And LOL at a Browns fan saying they’d rather lose without him, then win with him.

18. hobartbaker says: Jun 21, 2011 11:48 AM

Every college player in the country would probably sell their autograph. It’s just that Pryor’s was worth more than anyone else’s. He is a solid guy and will be a solid teammate.

19. therevdewitt says: Jun 21, 2011 12:03 PM

Really? My comment got deleted for saying that the headlines you guys write are misleading? That’s just fascist. I expect this to be deleted too. So I’ll repost my point in a second.

20. therevdewitt says: Jun 21, 2011 12:04 PM

IF the Browns were to take Pryor, I wouldn’t want it to happen until the 4th or 5th rounds at least. That being said, I was living in Columbus in 2008 and would see 19-year-old Pryor out at the bars acting like he owned the town. I said then, “This guy acts too entitled. He could be trouble.” Lo and behold… I wouldn’t be very hot on Pryor in Cleveland, especially as a QB. He doesn’t fit a WCO at all. He could be a decent WR at some point, I think. But still, I’d rather see some other team deal with him.

21. comeonnowguys says: Jun 21, 2011 12:18 PM

OSU fans better lay off the hate… Continue to villify him and he’ll have little reason not to give the NCAA everything they need for a CFB death penalty.

22. tylerdurden0 says: Jun 21, 2011 12:20 PM

Doesn’t Josh Cribbs already handle the wildcat roll for the Browns?

23. hineswardcriesafterfumbling says: Jun 21, 2011 12:21 PM

@ bengalsown- as a fellow Bengals fan, please zip it. The Bengals 2011 starting quarterback is Andy Dalton. The Browns had a better season in 2010, and the Bengals have been known to load the team with “rather lose without you than win with you” players. Stop lol-ing.

24. eaglesman15 says: Jun 21, 2011 12:31 PM

big joke there ot going to take him they dnt neeed him he’s going to a quarterback needy team like the vikings or cardnals brown are set at qb they need no moree of them!

25. Deb says: Jun 21, 2011 12:40 PM

@comeonnowguys …

I’m an SEC girl with no love for Ohio State, but I’m so far nothing has come out that would in warrant OSU receiving the death penalty. The only thing yet proved against those players are minor infractions many people, myself included, don’t believe should even be infractions. Unfortunately, Tressel covered up the infractions and it cost him his job.

Since McCoy is on the short side, Pryor’s height could be a tremendous asset for Cleveland if he switched to wide receiver. One thing I’m sure of: Holmgren won’t take a chance on Pryor unless he’s certain he can make good use of him. My only concern for the Browns with this rumor is that the coaches aren’t able to communicate with McCoy during the lockout, and I’d hate to see serious talk of bringing in another QB undermine his confidence.

26. whatswiththehate says: Jun 21, 2011 12:48 PM

burntorangehorn says:Jun 21, 2011 10:30 AM

—————————
    I personally won’t fault him for getting head happy at OSU. It’s clear that that sort of behavior was acceptable way before he showed up. Pryor was simply doing what was done in “ROME.”

And why is Pryor being punished for not being politically correct in his defense of Mike
    Vick. I wonder where were all the so called animal lovers at when abused towards dogs were taking place long before Mike Vick and our witch hunting media?

Hmmm… Don’t recall hearing of any protest at every site where animal abusers showed up. I guess since the media wasn’t interested in those folks, neither were the hypocrits, I mean animals activist like PETA.

I guess I’ll be getting a lot of “thumbs down” for not being politically correct on this topic…Oh well..;o)

27. adamc0nley says: Jun 21, 2011 1:31 PM

No way. I don’t see ANYONE, let alone the Browns, risking any sort of significant draft pick for this prima donna.

Add him to the heap of free agent youngin’s who couldn’t get their heads out of their behinds enough to get drafted.

28. studio26seattle says: Jun 21, 2011 3:01 PM

As a Browns fan, I don’t want him.

However, I suppose the team would just have to pay him in tattoos to be the 4th string QB.

29. Browns2011 says: Jun 21, 2011 6:53 PM

If i am the Browns, I have 2 fourth round draft picks. If Herron, Adams, Pryor or Posey is available, I ve got to take a serious look at them all. I think Adams is the most likely because the right side of the O-Line is horrible. Herron is possible. Cleveland is dangerously thin at running back. As far as Pryor goes, the Browns supposedly hired these wonderful QB gurus in Holmgren and Shurmur. Why not risk the pick ? Colt McCoy is far from a proven commodity in the NFL. Develop another prospect as your third stringer. Or would we prefer another Ken Dorsey, Derek Anderson or Bruce Gradkowski quality QB from the clearance shelf special at Sanford and Son ?

30. coonsqualler says: Jun 22, 2011 12:22 PM

No Thanks! He’s From Pennsylvania!

Just Sayin!

31. trickbunny says: Jun 22, 2011 5:56 PM

bengalsown says:
    Jun 21, 2011 11:44 AM

LOL @ appearing “set” with Colt McCoy.
    ————————————————

LOL at the whole Bengals QB situation. Talk about unstable.

How funny is it when a fan of a team with ridiculous QB problems tries to talk QB smack? Bwaaaa….

32. trickbunny says: Jun 22, 2011 5:58 PM

bengalsown says:
    Jun 21, 2011 11:44 AM

LOL @ appearing “set” with Colt McCoy.
    ———————————————–

LOL @ being a fan of the the team declared to be the worst in all of professional sports.