Fans displaced from Super Bowl seek lost income, too

Super Bowl Football AP

As the NFL moves closer to resolving the most significant piece of litigation filed against it this year, the second-most significant piece of litigation continues to linger.

A class action was filed after fans who purchased tickets to the Super Bowl weren’t allowed into the game.  Though the league seems to realize that something is owed to the 1,250 fans who showed up at Cowboys Stadium only to find that their seats weren’t available, the NFL and the lawyer representing the class sharply disagree as to the specific extent of the obligation.

Per the Associated Press, the plaintiffs contend in a document filed with the court on Tuesday that the class members also are entitled to compensation for lost income resulting from any employment leave used to travel to Dallas to attend the Super Bowl.

And we agree.  Every year, fans take time off, buy plane tickets, rent hotel rooms, and incur all sorts of other expenses to travel to the Super Bowl.  Arriving at the game with a ticket and not being allowed to enter the building justifies full repayment of every penny incurred on a wasted trip.

“The law permits the fans to receive 100 percent of their damages, and we intend on recovering just that,” lawyer Michael Avenatti said.

Though we believe that lawyers currently have no place in the ongoing negotiations between the NFL and the NFLPA*, lawyers are critical to the fair and proper assertion of the rights of fans who were lured to Dallas, under ultimately false pretenses.  Absent a lawyer to fight for the affected fans, the fans would never get anything close to what they deserve.  With a lawyer dedicated to holding the NFL accountable, perhaps they will.

Even more amazing to us is that the NFL isn’t bending over backwards to make things right for the affected fans.  This isn’t the occasion for lowballing.  The Super Bowl is, as sports go, a sacred event.  The NFL should want to do everything in its power to fully reimburse every fan who made to trek to Texas under the impression that they’d be watching the Packers and the Steelers with their own eyes, and not through the lens of a TV camera.

Permalink 54 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
54 Responses to “Fans displaced from Super Bowl seek lost income, too”
  1. hobartbaker says: Jun 21, 2011 8:02 PM

Not to mention lost income from the offspring they would have begat during the post SB festivities, which would have supported them in their declining years.

2. duanethomas says: Jun 21, 2011 8:03 PM

What????? How about we give them lifetime season tickets to their favorite team. 4 club level seats to every Super Bowl and a million dollars a year. Would that satisfy them? Probably not………….

3. p4hbiz says: Jun 21, 2011 8:03 PM

Who cares! Get the Deal Signed~

GO RAIDERS!!

4. jeff061 says: Jun 21, 2011 8:07 PM

Embarrassing. What a country.

5. vikesfansteve says: Jun 21, 2011 8:09 PM

They deserve compensation. Jerry Jones & the NFL really screwed them over. That really stinks for the Packers fans that missed the opportunity to see their favorite team win the Super Bowl. Plus it add’s to distrust of the NFL in the future. Will they not honor my tickets to the game too? That’s a valid response.

6. dempsey63 says: Jun 21, 2011 8:10 PM

The NFL is pouring salt into their wounds, which explains why it didn’t use it on the icy streets of Dallas.

7. lehooper says: Jun 21, 2011 8:14 PM

snce when does the working class go to Super Bowls?

8. ravensfan4life52 says: Jun 21, 2011 8:16 PM

these people are really starting to get on my nerves.

9. friendlylittletrees says: Jun 21, 2011 8:17 PM

These types of gold-diggers are one of the reasons for our floundering economy.

10. hoochbcs says: Jun 21, 2011 8:20 PM

Just remember all these fans were on the field for the postgame celebration..many also “watched” from a field level suite the entire game. I’m all for fair and then some but, let’s not write them a blank check.

11. smacklayer says: Jun 21, 2011 8:23 PM

Greedy Owners – Check
    Greedy Players – Check
    Greedy Fans – Check

12. vikefan says: Jun 21, 2011 8:23 PM

While i completely agree that the NFL touts it as a once in a lifetime and plantiffs should be compensated accordingly with punative damages, this one is stupid. Becareful how much you try and ask for b4 your lawsuit becomes frivilous, people start looking at you like gold diggers, and u end up with nothing. The only way you should be able to claim lost wages is if you had a ticket on a charter flight and was stuck with specific itenerary that you HAD to take time off to make it. If your itnerary was driving or u purchased any public airfare it was your individual choice to accept that itenerary. I want to side on the plantiffs but it is a tuff pill to swallow for this item.

13. PFTiswhatitis says: Jun 21, 2011 8:24 PM

“Even more amazing to us is that the NFL isn’t bending over backwards to make things right for the affected fans. ”

I agree. It is amazing especially when you consider the relativiely low cost. If they paid all of those fans a reasonable amount (ticket value, hotel, food, travel, +a little sorry money) it doesn’t add up to that much and I have to believe that most of them would take it and go away/end of issue. Instead the NFL decided to play hardball with them. For what? To save a few million bucks? Its crazy.

14. tfbuckfutter says: Jun 21, 2011 8:41 PM

I had a ticket and before I left my wife said “If you go to that game I’m leaving you” and sure enough she did. AND I didn’t even get to see the game.

Jerry Jones owes me a replacement wife in the form of a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader.

15. billsfan1 says: Jun 21, 2011 9:04 PM

I’m going to sue Disney for that day it rained on my honeymoon….I couldn’t do what I planned that day

16. FinFan68 says: Jun 21, 2011 9:12 PM

I can’t stand frivolous lawsuits and the people that bring them in the pursuit of an easy buck (especially the lawyers) are no less than despicable. However, these people do deserve to be compensated for their legitimate losses. The travel costs, hotel and ticket costs are a given. The lost wages is a little iffy but I can see that to a degree as well. If they were told ahead of time that they would be denied entry, how many would purchased the tickets and have taken off from work and made the trip anyway? Not many. That request seems somewhat reasonable but if they were granted entry and watched the game under circumatances less desirable than what they paid for, then that should be viewed as a form of compensation. It’s easy if they were turned away entirely but many were not. If these people start talking about mental anguish and convenience damages then they should be thrown out on their a55es.

17. kegowhisky says: Jun 21, 2011 9:19 PM

Trust me, I don’t side with the owners on anything. They’re hell-bent to make a dollar, and most will stop at nothing. But…..One of the lawyers for the fans says they’re entitled to 100% of their damages. Jerry & the NFL believe they’ve offered more than that (and can make a case for that), but here we are about four months later and some of the fans still keep coming up with things to get more dollars. When do we get to the point where 100% is 100%, and people can give it a rest and don’t keep going back for more and more? Greed goes both ways, no pun intended – really!

18. discosucs2005 says: Jun 21, 2011 9:23 PM

Yeah, I really don’t understand why the NFL would hesitate to overpay these people to not have articles like these around. I’ve heard “it sets a bad precedent for future lawsuits.” You know what is even better for warding off future lawsuits? Not selling tickets to seats that don’t exist.

19. incrediblehultz says: Jun 21, 2011 9:24 PM

So ridiculous. NFL and Jerry know they are wrong, yet they would rather pay attorneys the difference instead of just settle it fairly and quickly. I bet you the amount they have already offered plus their attorneys fees is very close to what it would take to settle this. The difference at best nominal. And who is litigious????

20. jutts says: Jun 21, 2011 9:28 PM

Gold Diggers? You gotta be kiddin me. Jerry and Roger could care less. What a joke. These fans should get about $20 K each.

21. whatchutalkinabouthillis says: Jun 21, 2011 9:30 PM

You greedy idiots you already got paid to not work! A few years ago I took a week off work to go to Cedar Point and unfortunately there was massive flooding in the area and the park was shut down. I, unlike these fans, didn’t sit around and piss and moan but instead went to the HOF and had a great time, maybe better than I would have at Ceder Point. They could have found something to do in Dallas. I hate JJ as much as the next guy but he shouldn’t have to pay because the fans are unimaginative lardasses.

22. ramsfanjoe says: Jun 21, 2011 9:35 PM

These fans just want a piece of the action. They have learned the money lesson well from the Millionares fighting with the Billionares! It’s time for the NFL to pay up!

23. johnnyoclock says: Jun 21, 2011 9:36 PM

First, the charge of luring fans under false pretenses is bogus because there’s no premediation of an effort to scam. So toss that.

Second, the lost income was an investment of acceptable loss in deciding to go to the super bowl. That’s not the team’s fault. That’s a willing loss on the fans’ part.

Things like the hotel, is on the team because that’s part of the experience. But things like memorabilia bought, how much the bar tab was, and yes willing loss of employment wages are all the fans’ choice. The hotel is not a choice because they have to have one. So the team is on the hook for that. But everything that is purely fan choice, the team is not.

I agree with others on here these fans better be careful.

That being said, I agree with Mr. F and the PFT gang the NFL should’ve just started writing checks the day after and swept it under the rug. Raise jersey prices 5$ if you have to to make up for it.

That being said, on another point, for those whining (incorrectly) that the NFL is in a partnership with players, then they also better start asking how much $ the NFLPA is putting out in partnership of making this right. Doesn’t matter it’s not the player’s fault. This is what a partnership is. Oh wait a minute, that’s not what you wanted is it? Oops.

24. zaggs says: Jun 21, 2011 9:46 PM

“And we agree.”. Of course, because you are a moron. These fans would have “lost” income regardless of whether the NFL let them in or not. Unless the NFL detained someone past their departure time, the NFL did not cause them to lose income. Secondly how many actually lost income? If you used leave, you lost your leave time, but not income as that is the purpose of leave. If they truly lost income, its because they did something they weren’t supposed to be doing when they went to the superbowl.

25. melonnhead says: Jun 21, 2011 9:49 PM

——————————————————-

The NFL has offered $5,000 per fan or more if their actual expenses were higher. They didn’t win the lottery, they missed the game or had to watch it from another spot.

26. coolheir says: Jun 21, 2011 10:05 PM

…too bad they cant be sued for having’ the black eyed peas for halftime annoyment…

27. mick730 says: Jun 21, 2011 10:09 PM

“If they paid all of those fans a reasonable amount (ticket value, hotel, food, travel, +a little sorry money) ….”

The NFL did offer just what you suggested, and guess what? For these people who filed this lawsuit, it wasn’t enough. Oh, and yea, they were also offered tickets to next year’s Super Bowl.

28. thenewwisewoo says: Jun 21, 2011 10:38 PM

“Why yes, I am a lawyer. Screw up America’s game? Sure thing! Right on it!”

29. skinsrock says: Jun 21, 2011 10:48 PM

They better settle quick… If I was on that jury… I would award them $20-30k per ticket. I’m thinking $5000 / person expenses x 4-6 times for their lawyer compensation & their emotional damage. Everyone forgets how you feel… come on… For many The Superbowl is a once in a lifetime opportunity to root for your team colors… What price tag do you put on that?

30. diablito0402 says: Jun 21, 2011 10:59 PM

These people should get at least 300% reinbursement for what theh spent, what a joke fhe nfl is when it comes to taking care of their fans.

31. dirkprotostar says: Jun 21, 2011 11:29 PM

I have no sympathy for these people. If you can afford to go to the Super Bowl, you’re probably in pretty good shape. If you can afford the lawyer fees, you’re doing fine. The NFL has already hooked these people up, these fans are purely motivated by greed.

32. ravensfan4life52 says: Jun 21, 2011 11:44 PM

The league has already offered them fair compensation these people are just greedy s.o.b.s who are trying to squeeze out every last dime they can get. at this point i say give them nothing and tell them to sod off.

33. mick730 says: Jun 21, 2011 11:45 PM

“Trust me, I don’t side with the owners on anything. They’re hell-bent to make a dollar….”

Heavens! Hell bent on making a dollar!?!?!?!!

Don’t these guys know that owning a business isn’t about making a profit! Where in the world did they grow up? In some capitalist hell hole?Everyone knows that the only purpose in owning your own business is to provide jobs, pensions and health care to “workers”.

34. melonnhead says: Jun 22, 2011 12:24 AM

—————————————————–

At which point the judge would immediately vacate your decision and impose reimbursement of actual expenses but no more than face value for the tickets.

35. piemasteruk says: Jun 22, 2011 1:43 AM

“The lost wages is a little iffy but I can see that to a degree as well. If they were told ahead of time that they would be denied entry, how many would purchased the tickets and have taken off from work and made the trip anyway? Not many.”

Are you kidding me??? I live in London, which I imagine is significantly further than most of these people travelled. If somebody told me I could go to the Superbowl, be given access to the stadium, watch the game (albeit on a TV screen) from inside the stadium and be able to take in the whole game day experience first hand in this way, then be paid THREE TIMES the value of my ticket afterwards, not only would I bite their hand off to take a week off work and buy the ticket, I would happily pay my own air fare and hotel costs too.

Yes the NFL and Dallas dropped the ball on the Superbowl quite badly and I’m sure some feel they had their big day ruined, but seriously the line has to be drawn somewhere.

36. Matt-NC says: Jun 22, 2011 6:02 AM

I think what some are failing to realize is that this is an opportunity thing. If they were Packer fans, they missed out on the chance to see their team win the Super Bowl live. There’s no guarantee the Packers will get there and win again. It could be a once in a lifetime shot.

How do you assign an appropriate price tag to that?

37. 1historian says: Jun 22, 2011 6:25 AM

The NFL owner’s prevailing attitude towards the fans seems to be one of contempt. They know that no matter what is said in places like this – when the CBA is reached and a few apologies are made the fans will dutifully take out their checkbooks and write huge checks for their tickets, and they will gladly pay exorbitant prices for their food and booze and parking places and souvenirs.
    The NFL owner’s prevailing attitude toward the players seems to be one of contempt. This is found in the fact that they took out lockout insurance a few years ago and are now insisting on the eventual 18 game season.

The only language the owners speak fluently is – empty seats.

38. 1historian says: Jun 22, 2011 6:28 AM

Ref my previous post – this non-existent seat fuss has dragged on for 5 months and the NFL/Jerry Jones is clearly in the wrong. This should have been settled within a week of its occurrence and it would/could have been.

39. 1historian says: Jun 22, 2011 6:30 AM

And the fans who got screwed in this deal – I don’t have much sympathy for them either.
    You pays your money you takes your chances.

40. dewalt2990 says: Jun 22, 2011 6:59 AM

Unless the Hotel didn’t let people into their rooms, or the airline made the people ride in the cargo hold..where are the damages? It’s called going on vacation..stuff goes arong..all the time, they’ve made movies about it.

41. tundey says: Jun 22, 2011 7:56 AM

OK now that’s asking for too much. Lost income? Didn’t they already factor that in when they took time off work to go to the super bowl? So even if the ticket snafu hadn’t happened, they would still have lost the income. Nothing Jerry Jones or the NFL did made them lose more income than they would have. So where’s the lost income case coming from? At some point, you ask for too much and everybody see you for what you are: moneygrubbing fans.

42. xstaticonradio says: Jun 22, 2011 7:56 AM

Jerry Jones is a scumbag

43. tundey says: Jun 22, 2011 7:58 AM

@Matt-NC : If you start going down that lane, no amount of money or tickets to future superbowl that the NFL gives them would right that wrong. After all, even if the Packers makes it to another superbowl, it won’t be with the same set of players, with the same set of circumstances etc etc. Nothing can redress that wrong.

44. karlpilkington says: Jun 22, 2011 8:00 AM

jeff061 says:
    Jun 21, 2011 8:07 PM
    Embarrassing. What a country

I am guessing you DID NOT GO to the game.

45. PFTiswhatitis says: Jun 22, 2011 8:32 AM

mick730 says:Jun 21, 2011 10:09 PM

—————–

Actually the league did come close to a fair offer but if you look at the facts, they stopped short of what fair compensation would be. That’s why I say it would have been cheap to just resolve this and its crazy that the league did not do that.
    That said, I do agree with you also that the fans involved ought to be happy with a settlement that compensates them for what they lost out of pocket and perhaps something to make up for the aggravation, but they should not try to profit off this unfortunate event. At this point though, the NFL got them entirely pissed off by low-balling the compensation offered so the league has earned the bad press and higher price tag to resolve it.

46. outlawjerseywhales says: Jun 22, 2011 8:33 AM

tfbuckfutter says:
    Jun 21, 2011 8:41 PM

————————————————–

Q: How does a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader turn
    out the light after sex?

A: She closes the car door!

47. deljzc says: Jun 22, 2011 8:46 AM

You say having a lawyer in this case is worthwhile, but after the lawyer gets his 30% cut, you (and the company you sue) is probably better off taking the original offer.

All lawyers do is skim off the top and suck the economy dry with their endless “country of laws” argument.

The criminal process should be about finding out the FACTS and letting a jury/judge decide. Not winning/losing.

The civil process should be about fair and equitable compensation that allows both sides the ability to function in society (if it was a criminal act, make it a criminal trial). Pain and suffering and inflated damages and making middle class people millionaires because of an honest mistake is wrong.

Lawyers can’t see the forest from the trees and can’t see they are strangling this country to death while they make themselves out to be important.

48. raiderinpa says: Jun 22, 2011 8:48 AM

Hmmm… wonder if we (the Raider Nation) can sue big Al for 4 years of futility at the hands of Jawalrus Russell?…. Makes just as much sense…

49. kaoticbandito says: Jun 22, 2011 9:04 AM

What’s all this ‘we’ stuff in the article? You and Junior? NBC? The staff of PFT? Or is it the royal ‘we?’ I think you mean ‘I’ as in ‘I used to be a plaintiff’s lawyer and filed suits more frivolous than this one.

50. wlubake says: Jun 22, 2011 10:18 AM

“the plaintiffs contend in a document filed with the court on Tuesday that the class members also are entitled to compensation for lost income resulting from any employment leave used to travel to Dallas to attend the Super Bowl.

And we agree.”

C’mon Mike. You know better. Those tickets undoubtedly contain legal terms on the back which prevent any consequential damages to be sought and obtained by the licensee. Lost income is a form of consequential damages. The NFL is offering up the equivalent of what the contract (and a ticket is a contract) permits in damages.

Besides, how many class members are non-salaried employees with measurable damages? The lawyers are grasping at straws to throw as many measures of damages into the claim as possible to try and maximize the settlement. Then, those same lawyers can get 30-40% of the claim, leaving the fans with likely lower payouts than they would have had if they had just accepted the NFL’s initial offer.

51. vadog says: Jun 22, 2011 10:53 AM

52. thingamajig says: Jun 22, 2011 11:47 AM

Good thing no one spilled hot coffee on themselves or the NFL would have to give each one an additional million dollars on top of all the other damages

53. piemasteruk says: Jun 22, 2011 11:57 AM

“I think there should be a “means test” for these fans…who somehow can afford Super Bowl tickets, hotel reservations, travel expenses etc…

If they got a 2nd mortgage in order to finance the trip…then they deserve compensation. However, if they are already worth a million or more dollars (which is what it takes to go to a Super Bowl live) then sorry Charlie…no $$ for you!!”

Yes, because the law should be different for rich people and poor people right?

*sigh*

54. vadog says: Jun 22, 2011 2:03 PM

piemasteruk says:

“Yes, because the law should be different for rich people and poor people right?”

The law SHOULD be about leveling the playing field. The greater the harm…the greater the compensation. A millionaire spending $5,000.00 on a trip to the Super Bowl…very little harm. A bus driver spending $900.00 for a trip to the Super Bowl…major harm.

It’s disgusting that the Super Bowl has become a time for those who have “conspicuous wealth” to flaunt it, while the fans of the two teams playing can’t get in!!

Here’s an off-the-wall plea to the rich folks in the US (and yes, I know that it will never amount to anything). Please stop going to the Super Bowl! You drive up the costs for everyone else who wants to attend. Stay home and watch on TV (that is if you are truly interested in the game) just like the “commoners.” Sigh…a fellow can dream, correct?