Pryor tells Gruden Ohio State ending was “a disaster”

Terrelle Pryor, Jim Tressel AP

ESPN’s upcoming special featuring Jon Gruden sitting down with former Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor will focus mostly on what Pryor does off the field. But in an excerpt of the show that ESPN aired today, Pryor got into the off-field issues that led him to leave Ohio State.

Gruden asked Pryor, “How did all this happen?” and Pryor responded that he blames himself, although he didn’t get into any details about what, specifically, he and former Ohio State coach Jim Tressel did wrong.

“Pretty much me just making mistakes, you know, and especially losing a great coach to this great university, it was just a disaster,” Pryor said.  “I’m very sorry, but at the same time I have to move on because I have a life to live.  I’m disgusted on what really went down and what had to happen to the university.  I regret the fact that coach Tressel had to leave and I regret the fact that I had to leave.  I just wish I could still be there with my teammates. But I’m trying to get used to it and trying to move on.”

On SportsCenter today, ESPN revealed that it requested an interview with Pryor separate from the Xs and Os discussion he had with Gruden, but that the network declined to conduct the interview when agent Drew Rosenhaus said questions about Pryor selling his Ohio State memorabilia would be off limits.

It would be great to see a serious interview featuring a good ESPN journalist like Jeremy Schaap or Sal Paolantonio sitting down with Pryor, but Pryor doesn’t want to answer the tough questions he’d face in that forum.  So all ESPN viewers will learn from Pryor is what Gruden gets out of him.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
35 Responses to “Pryor tells Gruden Ohio State ending was “a disaster””
  1. backuppunter says: Jun 21, 2011 5:49 PM

I wouldn’t answer too many questions either if I were Pryor. but it would be interesting to know what really happened

2. trbowman says: Jun 21, 2011 5:51 PM

“So all ESPN viewers will learn from Pryor is what Gruden gets out of him.”

He’ll give him the same lifelines he gave Newton & Mallett.

3. 2mannings1cup says: Jun 21, 2011 5:55 PM

What a worthless little rat. Does anyone really think he cares? If he did he would try to actually take some responsibility. All he cares about is his money and fame.
    Pryor, you sir are garbage.

4. jjrs89 says: Jun 21, 2011 5:55 PM

“Trevor Pryor is an outstanding young man” jon gruden

5. ebenezergrymm says: Jun 21, 2011 5:57 PM

Look at the bright side, Terrelle. At least you got a tattoo out of it.

6. 808raiderinparadise says: Jun 21, 2011 6:00 PM

I tell pryor your NFL career will also be a “disaster”

7. justwaittilnextyear says: Jun 21, 2011 6:01 PM

Well Terrelle it was just you making mistakes huh…not the coach lying covering up your mistakes letting you and others play when we all know that was more lies. Please someone in the NFC North pick him up so Suh can rock his world,twice a year.

8. wheels27 says: Jun 21, 2011 6:07 PM

it would have been great to hear an question and answer session like that with C. Newton as well. He has just as many ghosts in the closet and I expect the NCAA to strip his title and heisman away in the next 5 years.

9. vdogg says: Jun 21, 2011 6:17 PM

I may be wrong in saying this but I don’t remember reading the story where he was thrown out of school…..I remember it differently…wasn’t he going to be suspended for some games at the start of the season….?

10. cmack21 says: Jun 21, 2011 6:20 PM

Im not mad @ Pryor… the NCAA screws thousands of ppl every year. How much do you spend to watch a football game, after paying for parking, tickets, programs, food and all the junk memorabilia they want you to buy they say they arent exploiting these kids?!? You buy your fav players jersey who much of that $ does HE see? Every halfway decent NCAA program from football to tennis gives you the perks under the table. Just let the dude play ball and get paid to do so.

11. 1historian says: Jun 21, 2011 6:28 PM

He’s just a kid. A young, gifted, but gullible kid who doesn’t seem to be a bad person or a db such as some of you genii would have us believe. He’s just a kid who never had anyone take him aside and say “Terrell – you can’t do that!”

There seems to be nothing that gets most of you off as much as the sight of famous people having bad things happen to them.

12. thegonz13 says: Jun 21, 2011 6:38 PM

Yeah, I can picture Pryor’s Q&A with ESPN… “Next question. Next question. Next question!”

13. swervinmervin says: Jun 21, 2011 6:45 PM

Give me a break. Who cares about Pryor selling stuff. He may have broken some stupid NCAA rules, but he never did anything illegal. The NCAA robs kids like Pryor blind. They give them a scholarship in exchange for millions of dollars. OSU sells jerseys with Pryor’s number, but he cant sell his autograph? Please.

And Sal Pal is overrated as an interviewer. JEremy Schapp has a long way to go before he’s as good as his father was. ESPN sucks.

Pryor is gonna be a good player in the NFL one way or another. That’s why we’re even talking about this.

14. bishopslappytruelove says: Jun 21, 2011 6:55 PM

Jamarcus Pryor?

15. friendlylittletrees says: Jun 21, 2011 6:55 PM

F him…

16. bluepike says: Jun 21, 2011 7:07 PM

…….agent Drew Rosenhaus said questions about Pryor selling his Ohio State memorabilia would be off limits. Terrelle Pryor and Drew Rosenhaus – two gutless, spineless vipers. I guess there’s something wrong with owning-up and claiming responsibility for your actions other than being vague and elusive.

With Rosenhaus as his agent Pryor has a good tutor when it comes to deception. Supplemental draft? Third or fourth round at best.

17. mwojo586 says: Jun 21, 2011 7:10 PM

@ 1historian… A kid?! Yea thats right. I forgot “kids” go to college. Just because someone doesn’t act like an adult doesn’t mean they aren’t one. Stop making excuses for those crooks, I mean buckeyes.

18. 808raiderinparadise says: Jun 21, 2011 7:27 PM

I have a few solid questions for Pryor:

1.) How much would a Tressell signed sweater vest get you? A whole sleeve? A back tatt?

2.) Do you prefer “lacs” or “benzos”

3.) How do you spell, “Quarterback” ? (you have 10 seconds)

4.) Your promise to the academic instituition, fans, boosters, coaches, teamates to return for next year … now means what about you as a person?

5.) a. Do you still think college football players deserve compensation, or were Ohio State players able to freelance enough to get by?
    b. Could you afford a burger here and there?

6.) If you were in the XFL what would the back of your jersey say?

7.) Do you feel Newton was innocent? (thats a great one, come on)

19. abninf says: Jun 21, 2011 7:29 PM

His new name is Captain Obvious.

20. dawkinseffect says: Jun 21, 2011 7:38 PM

BUST

21. TurdSandwich says: Jun 21, 2011 7:40 PM

If your joke is tired and unoriginal – just don’t post it.

22. hobartbaker says: Jun 21, 2011 7:46 PM

At least Pryor has acknowledged he did something wrong and offered an apology. Newton just bares those oversized horse teeth and acts like nothing ever happened. In his disconnected psyche, it’s all just nasty rumor, conjured up by haters to put him down.

23. football05 says: Jun 21, 2011 7:46 PM

Trust me people it goes on everywhere at every school. just pray your school does not have a player who is mad at th program and want to spill the beans. Again been there it goes on everywhere,but dont be that silly. After you guys go home after games to your nice homes some players will struggle to eat the weekend. Wake up FAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. whatswiththehate says: Jun 21, 2011 8:20 PM

trbowman says:Jun 21, 2011 5:51 PM

‘“So all ESPN viewers will learn from Pryor is what Gruden gets out of him.”

He’ll give him the same lifelines he gave Newton & Mallett.”

wheels27 says:Jun 21, 2011 6:07 PM

———————
    Yes, I would love for ESPN to REALLY do their JOB and question that Kenny Rogers guy who seem to have been the ONLY “source” of information for one of their own sports writer in regarding to what Cam’s father was or was not doing. I’m curious to know why ESPN was simply running with every story Kenny Rogers spewed to them without questioning it and when anything came out refuting what Kenny said, ESPN simply ignored it. Now there is an interview I would love to see. But something tells me I won’t.

I guess I’m not as gullible as some of the folks on here to buy into ESPN’s BS simply because it’s against their rival school or team.

25. peester15 says: Jun 21, 2011 8:23 PM

That’s too bad, I see Ohio State up there with the UNC and USC group.

26. bearsbulls34 says: Jun 21, 2011 10:08 PM

Pryor broke the rules and was punished accordingly. That being said, I find it much easier to forgive a young man for being immature than I do for a middle-aged head coach for being a coward and a cheat.

27. henryjones20 says: Jun 21, 2011 10:17 PM

id sell trade my jockstrap and practice shirt 4 a tattoo and a leased car. guess that make me a dirty lil rat also

28. jh500 says: Jun 21, 2011 10:27 PM

Pryor will be the greatest QB of all time.

29. goforthanddie says: Jun 21, 2011 10:33 PM

Why is this listed under Pro Football? He hasn’t signed his UFL contract yet.

30. paulbrownsrevenge says: Jun 21, 2011 11:22 PM

His throwing motion is turrrible
    He has the IQ of an oatmeal cookie.
    I would be shocked if any team wasted a draft pick higher than 5th rd on him.
    He’s a big fast athlete…. not an NFL QB!!
    I do think he could be a great tight end with his speed and frame, but his ego will get in the way. If he wanted to play in the NFL badly, he should make it know he is open to play WR or TE. he def has those skills. maybe a team would take a shot then.

31. mrfrostyj says: Jun 21, 2011 11:55 PM

For those who think that the NCAA is exploiting these “kids”, guess what? All that merchandise, tickets etc that you buy is paying for their free $40,000 a year education. If you’re on a full scholorship which includes room & board what else do you need? Maybe we should blame OSU for not including a tatoo allotment for their “Student Athletes”.

32. Browns2011 says: Jun 22, 2011 12:42 AM

Tressel definitely screwed up big time and he was making around 4 millions dollars too per year. However, I do not buy the whole “youthful indiscretion” argument with Pryor. Tressel lost more in the here and now. But how much did Pryor throw away in the long run ? If he had kept his nose clean he might have been making millions more as a higher pick in the NFL Draft. Regardless, I won’t be watching OSU football this fall or in the future. Both are frauds. And this will follow Pryor wherever he goes for whatever length NFL career he has (if at all). I ve followed.

33. rcunningham says: Jun 22, 2011 7:13 AM

Time for the NCAA to stop treating their players like slaves.

Yeah I said it.

34. whatswiththehate says: Jun 22, 2011 8:29 AM

hobartbaker says:Jun 21, 2011 7:46 PM

————————-
    Yes, you keep proving day after day that you have some seriously misguided anger towards Cam.

You can’t even be honest about what the kid did or didn’t do.

And you’re quite a HYPOCRIT cause in your previous postings, you encouraged folks not to be quick on judging Pryor based on what the media was saying about him. Yet all you have done was judge Cam and with extreme righteousness and dishonesty. You post against him as if you know him personally.

Do you know either of these young men personally to truly speak of their characters, good or bad?

35. dkhhuey says: Jun 22, 2011 3:01 PM

Let’s be honest – these kids knew exactly what they were doing was against the NCAA rules – no question about it. They made some very selfish decisions at the time and now they are paying the price for their off the field shenanigans. Personally, I will miss Terrelle on the field as our QB. Whether he is NFL material or not, he was awesome to watch in college!

Tressel, on the other hand, with his ridiculously stupid decision to hide, and then lie, about the minor infractions of the Tat5, brought unnecessary holy hell down on OSU. Had he done the right thing, it would have resulted in a 2 – 3 game suspension at the beginning of last year and that would have been it! I will never understand why he chose to trash his entire career, integrity, and reputation that day.