McNabb joins Eagles players for workout

McNabbEaglesGetty Getty Images

He’s baaa-aaaack.  Sort of.

Quarterback Donovan McNabb, traded by the Eagles in 2010 and inevitably leaving the Redskins in 2011, worked out on Wednesday with some of his former Philadelphia teammates, according to our colleagues at CSNPhilly.com.

He joined roughly six Eagles on the fake grass of the Memorial Sports Complex in Marlton, N.J., after an indoor session at the Power Train facility.

“I’m just focused on working out, it’s what I do in the off-season,” McNabb told Dave Zangaro of CSNPhilly.com.  “So, working with a great group of guys.  [The Power Train] guys did a wonderful job of preparing those guys.  So, I was just looking forward to it.”

So what about McNabb’s future?

“I’m just working out right now,” McNabb said.  “As you can see, I’m in some great shape and I’m only gonna get better.”

Regardless of how good it gets, the only thing we know at this point is that McNabb won’t be playing for the Redskins — or the Eagles — in 2011.  Or pretty much ever.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
27 Responses to “McNabb joins Eagles players for workout”
  1. captainwisdom8888 says: Jun 22, 2011 3:04 PM

Should be some quality training for the receivers…the art of catching the low-ball.

2. b7p19 says: Jun 22, 2011 3:05 PM

Don, if you go to the AFC, that team will instantly become my favorite team in that conference. Good luck old friend.

3. karlpilkington says: Jun 22, 2011 3:06 PM

The sentence we should all be paying attention to is that he joined “6” eagles. I mean I know the “player only practices” mean only so much but I have heard teams have had 30 to 40 guys showing up.

4. ebenezergrymm says: Jun 22, 2011 3:09 PM

And on that day the worm population of Marlton, NJ was cut in half.

5. CKL says: Jun 22, 2011 3:11 PM

He’s in “SOME” great shape? Smart of him not to nail that one down by saying just “I’m in great shape”. I mean, round IS a shape.

6. hobartbaker says: Jun 22, 2011 3:14 PM

Since Shanahan said he’d do the deal over again, the Eagles thought there was no harm in taking McNabb back for a bit, just to see if Mike really is nuts.

7. b7p19 says: Jun 22, 2011 3:17 PM

@karlpilkington –

Well, you sure are reading this differently than me. It says he “worked out wednesday with some of his former philly teamates.” It took place at a sports complex in NJ. Do you really think that the only time players work out is during player organized practices? And do you think they would invite a division rival QB?

8. ac0117 says: Jun 22, 2011 3:18 PM

If you can’t beat em….

9. matthewb57 says: Jun 22, 2011 3:18 PM

redskins trade mcnabb for kolb. guess thats the big move eagles are talking about. who would have thunk it

10. matthewb57 says: Jun 22, 2011 3:19 PM

also resign T.O.

11. myeaglescantwin says: Jun 22, 2011 3:23 PM

now if he had only done this before the 04′ season,, we would be good.

& guys he was working with the DL and some LBs,, no skill positions.

12. terrellblowens says: Jun 22, 2011 3:25 PM

This Eagles fan wishes McNabb the best of luck, and I really think that if he ends up in Minnesota that the Vikings will become relevant again. If he doesn’t have to carry the team, he can be a very effective QB again. Washington was a bad situation, pretty much everyone knew that since the day he was traded.

13. nfl25 says: Jun 22, 2011 3:36 PM

Dude mcnabb seems like he wants to be back in philly. He did some video thing they showed it on NFL network and in the backround was a mcnabb poster in eagles uniform. I bet he would do anything to back to 2009 and play for Reid again. I actually feel bad for him, I hope he plays decent next year.

14. eaglesfootballfan says: Jun 22, 2011 3:42 PM

I think McNabb will go to the Vikings. They need a veteran QB especially in that Divisoin that saw the Lions get better.

15. nodecafplz1 says: Jun 22, 2011 3:45 PM

If we ship Kolb (and we will) there are worse back ups than McNabb, just sayin.

16. birdgirl20 says: Jun 22, 2011 3:47 PM

This part of the story was left out… Donovan has always given back to the community and THAT is why he is in town. You’d never know that by reading this article. Tsk, tsk…

17. tomcous says: Jun 22, 2011 3:59 PM

McNabb in SF or Arizona both make a lot of sense.

Arizona is going to be desperate to work out a trade.

18. birdgirl20 says: Jun 22, 2011 4:05 PM

What was left out of my comment was per CSN Philly McNabb is in town for a few days for the dedication of the McNabb Family Neo-Natal IC Care Unit at Voorhees Hospital, to which 5 has given a 6 figure donation.

19. jcg23 says: Jun 22, 2011 4:13 PM

All the worms are scattering. They got lazy in the last year or so since McNabb had been gone.

20. sdffa11 says: Jun 22, 2011 4:23 PM

funny how he is working out in philly during the offseason AFTER he gets traded. where was this the last 8 offseasons he was training in arizona?

21. laeaglefan says: Jun 22, 2011 4:25 PM

I don’t put a lot of stock in how many players show up for these unorganized player practices. If anything, it only reflects on the type of leadership on each individual team among the players. I don’t think that Michael Vick is a real leader. How much that matters when the season starts, I guess remains to be seen. But I really don’t think these workouts mean a whole lot, other than players trying to stay in shape. They can do that on their own too.

As for McNabb ever returning to the Eagles, it won’t happen mainly because he won’t accept a backup role and a backup salary. Not with the Eagles, anyway. Too much ego involved there.

22. tombrookshire says: Jun 22, 2011 4:37 PM

Now that McNabb is no longer an Eagle, I wish him the best. I like the idea that he is in the area working out. He likes it here and feel comfortable around the guys. Nothing wrong with that. I would welcome having McNabb in the ring of honor and maybe back with the team in some non-playing capacity.

23. melonnhead says: Jun 22, 2011 4:39 PM

So NOW he scraps that entire working out in Arizona BS, huh? It’s a little late, DMac.

24. robmix8 says: Jun 22, 2011 5:41 PM

was d jack there with the “old” guy???

25. oldbyrd says: Jun 22, 2011 6:21 PM

I know i’m gonna get thumbs down but, I think McNabb would be an excellent back up on the Eagles. He knows the system. Has enough gas in his tank to make a contribution if needed. Just how I feel. He bought us a lot of great moments. Good luck Don

26. geniusesq says: Jun 22, 2011 9:01 PM

The Eagles don’t want you either bro.

27. dongeronimo says: Jun 22, 2011 10:59 PM

McNabb talking about how he is working with great guys and how in shape he is makes him sound like an angry ex girlfriend.