O.J. hasn’t confessed, yet

nfl_g_simpson3_sw_300 Getty Images

The story isn’t bigger than we’d expect it to be, primarily because there’s little lingering doubt regarding the question of whether Hall of Fame running back O.J. Simpson killed his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend, Ron Goldman in June 1994.

A report recently emerged that Simpson confessed to killing the pair in an interview with Oprah Winfrey on her OWN network.  Per the report, Simpson claimed he was acting in self-defense.  (It’s now known as the Michi Marshall defense.)

An Oprah spokesperson said the report isn’t true.

Recently, Oprah said that she has a dream of Simpson confessing the crimes to her.  And that possibly was the genesis for the false report.

As to Oprah’s dreams, we’d recommend that she aim a little higher.  Then again, after getting a billion or so in the bank, maybe dreams become far more mundane.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
40 Responses to “O.J. hasn’t confessed, yet”
  1. thephantomstranger says: Jun 23, 2011 2:16 PM

I think all of Oprah’s dreams have already come true. Now I’d like her to dream that the lockout is over.

2. hobartbaker says: Jun 23, 2011 2:17 PM

Oprah dreamt that O.J. confessed to the crime. More shockingly, she dreamt that she was a loud, fat talk show host at the time, covered in mounds of makeup.

3. Deb says: Jun 23, 2011 2:21 PM

Oprah? O.J.? The lockout is really getting to you, isn’t it? Bless your heart. ;)

4. citizenstrange says: Jun 23, 2011 2:28 PM

I’d like to see Goodell come clean about the Patriot’s cheating tapes he destroyed like a nanosecond after he received them.

5. raiderluv says: Jun 23, 2011 2:36 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong, because I definately could be. But wouldn’t a confession put him behind bars forever? In murder cases, I thought that if new evidence is found they could be re-tried for the same crime. And if he were to confess, would that not be new evidence? Like I said, I’m not sure, but I seriously doubt if he confesses unless he’s on his death-bed.

6. footballhistorian says: Jun 23, 2011 2:41 PM

As if we’d need Okra’s word that Orenthal did or didn’t kill his victims.

7. theoriginalcaptainmarvel says: Jun 23, 2011 2:53 PM

So Oprah thinks she’d really be something special if O.J. confessed on her show. It’s truly amazing what passes for talent these days. Really, seriously, what does Oprah do? I don’t get it.

8. schmitty2 says: Jun 23, 2011 2:53 PM

I remember when Frank Drebin knocked him down the aisle in “Naked Gun” and he flew over the rail. Man, I wish that had really happened

9. AlanSaysYo says: Jun 23, 2011 2:58 PM

I heard Oprah comes off a block better than Brian Urlacher.

10. dansnydersux says: Jun 23, 2011 3:08 PM

raiderluv says:
    Jun 23, 2011 2:36 PM

I’m not sure that’s the case because that would be double jeopardy, where a person can’t be tried for the same crime following a legitimate conviction or acquittal.

11. cdaws84 says: Jun 23, 2011 3:18 PM

raiderluv no. He was already found innocent you cant be retried for the same crime regardless if he came straight out and said it.

12. seanx40 says: Jun 23, 2011 3:25 PM

OJ did confess. To Rosy Greer, his preacher. It was overheard by others in the jail. Because it was to a clergy, it was not allowed in evidence in his trial.

13. bearsrulepackdrool says: Jun 23, 2011 3:30 PM

May I remind you this was the man that almost released a book that said “If I did it”

So it would not surprise me at all.

14. plifer says: Jun 23, 2011 3:37 PM

Does anyone think the OJ jury would regret their decision if OJ came clean and confessed?

Oprah thinks she’s channeled the horse whisperer into the celeb crowd. Come on Oprah, tell the world you are a killer and all your pain will be relieved. The world will love you, and forgive you because you confessed to the great Oprah and her fans.

I can actually see the above as true. She and her fan base have more power than the NFL owners, players association and commish all rolled into one.

15. berniemadoffsides says: Jun 23, 2011 3:41 PM

I always figured Oprah only dreamt about eating cupcakes and cookies… lol

16. breeshasabush says: Jun 23, 2011 3:46 PM

Do we really need him to say it??? Does oprah need Keith Richards to come on her show and admit that hes tried drugs before as well?

17. db3300 says: Jun 23, 2011 3:47 PM

I know I’m reaching for the stars in hoping that any of us geniuses here have been to law school but can’t OJ still be convicted of murder if he were to confess? Yes, I know about double-jeopardy but my understanding (from a single law class in college where I was asleep most of the time) was that you could be tried a 2nd time but that none of the evidence introduced in the first trial could be used against you. So… the 2nd trial would only include new evidence – like a confession – which is why a conviction would be very unlikely.

Is that correct or was I still dreaming during that part of the lecture?

18. pete611 says: Jun 23, 2011 3:48 PM

Once you are found NOT GUILTY you can not be tried for the same crime again. After the verdict he could have gone up to the judge and asked for his gloves back.

19. rc33 says: Jun 23, 2011 3:54 PM

Oprah’s ego is flat-out annoying. So that’s her big final conquest…getting a confession from O.J.?
    Big deal.
    After all this time, there are about 500,000 more significant and noteworthy endeavors she could address with her money and clout.
    Besides, he ain’t talking ’til he’s on his death bed.
    If ever.

20. bradshawlives says: Jun 23, 2011 4:13 PM

theoriginalcaptainmarvel says:
    Really, seriously, what does Oprah do?

She sits at home and counts her piles of $.

21. redsghost says: Jun 23, 2011 4:35 PM

citizenstrange says:Jun 23, 2011 2:28 PM

Can’t blame ya there! Those tapes the Patriots turned over had film of the Jet’s and almost every other team taping the same things. Couldn’t show most of the other teams were cheating as well, right?
    Goodell has to protect his previous employer,right? And let’s not forget how it would look when the tapes showed the Pat’s did nothing and he would have to come up with another excuse as to why he punished his adversary so severely. Even more after we saw the Jets cheat and trip players and only being punished slightly thanks to their ex-employee and current benefactor. Would also like Goodell to come clean about how his wife who worked for FOX got the tapes so quickly.

22. Deb says: Jun 23, 2011 4:42 PM

@db3300 …

Not a lawyer, but have a family of criminal defense attorneys. He could be tried again if he’d been found guilty but won the right to a new trial on appeal … or if the first trial had ended in a mistrial and prosecutors chose to try him again. But because he has been acquitted, he cannot be tried again in criminal court for those murders, even if he proclaims his guilt in an Oprah primetime special.

During the Civil Rights Movement, the feds got around the reluctance of local juries to convict Klansmen for church bombings by trying them in federal court for civil rights violations. I don’t know how that would apply in a case like this–or if that’s what you were studying in law school. And a civil jury found O.J. responsible for the deaths and awarded a monetary judgment.

None of it matters, though, because it’s unlikely O.J. will confess. Besides, he is 63 and serving a 33-year prison sentence. He won’t be eligible for parole until 2017, and since the parole board members probably believe he got away with a double homicide, they won’t be anxious to parole him at their earliest opportunity. He could wind up dying in prison after all.

23. robertamberg says: Jun 23, 2011 4:49 PM

Has the statute of limitations run on a perjury charge for his testimony in the wrongful death case if he confesses now?

24. flyboy123456 says: Jun 23, 2011 4:50 PM

Did you ever notice that both Oprah and the OJ have massive heads?

25. Slackmo says: Jun 23, 2011 5:03 PM

OJ *already* confessed in the Judith Regan bookhe authored that was never published, If I Did It. Read a copy for yourself:

26. bensteeler29 says: Jun 23, 2011 5:06 PM

Funny, all you people talking smack on Oprah like she doesn’t do anything, is fat, etc., would bust one up in her if you had the shot! I know I would. Chappelle style, can I get the happy ending, haha.

Damn this lockout needs end.

27. xstaticonradio says: Jun 23, 2011 5:24 PM

If you rush for 2000 yards in 14 games you should be allowed a couple free kills

28. ravenspit says: Jun 23, 2011 5:34 PM

I heard that the Vikings were going to sign Oprah as an offensive lineman after the lockout – after dropping 150 lbs.

29. redsghost says: Jun 23, 2011 5:35 PM

bensteeler29 says:Jun 23, 2011 5:06 PM

Really? REALLY?? Somehow I don’t picture you having to fight through the crowds to have that chance. SHUDDER- dang, just gave myself the heebee jeebees thinking of doing her (ugh, talk about Fugly). No sleep for me tonight.
    Just makes you look desperate and no standards.

30. ravensfan4life52 says: Jun 23, 2011 5:52 PM

if the glove doesn’t fit you must acquit.

31. mdnittlion says: Jun 23, 2011 8:05 PM

So just to sum it up:

1. OJ is still in the Pro Hall of fame
    2. still in the college Hall of fame
    3. Still on record as being a Heisman winner
    4. Serving time in prison

And morons think Reggie Bush is a bad guy

32. Deb says: Jun 23, 2011 10:33 PM

@mdnittlion …

O.J. Simpson was one of the greatest running backs ever to play the game. He earned his Heisman on the field. He earned his place in the college Hall of Fame on the field. He earned his place in Canton on the field. His off-field crimes, committed long after his retirement from football, have nothing to do with his football achievements. If an astronaut goes to the moon and plants a flag, then years later commits a murder, are you suggesting we send a special mission up to the moon to remove his flag and ink him out of all the NASA photos? :roll:

No one thinks Reggie Bush is a bad guy in any way, shape, or form comparable to a murderer. But he cheated while playing the game, so he didn’t earn his Heisman like kids who had to play as amateurs.

Grow up and stop comparing apples to oranges.

33. richm2256 says: Jun 23, 2011 11:01 PM

The “Real” killers are no doubt praying that he confesses.

34. breeshasabush says: Jun 24, 2011 9:30 AM

mdnittlion says:
    Jun 23, 2011 8:05 PM
    So just to sum it up:

1. OJ is still in the Pro Hall of fame
    2. still in the college Hall of fame
    3. Still on record as being a Heisman winner
    4. Serving time in prison

And morons think Reggie Bush is a bad guy

———————–

THANK YOU!!!!!!! Speaks volumes about USC though.

35. redsghost says: Jun 24, 2011 1:24 PM

What morons think Riggie Bush is a Bad guy? Point them out.
    OJ is a bad guy.
    Bush is a liar. Bush is greedy. Bush doesn’t care about his fellow teammates.
    No one thinks Bush is a bad guy- just selfish and not a team player.

36. Deb says: Jun 24, 2011 5:17 PM

@redsghost …

Thank you.

I’ve never heard anyone–other than mdnittlion–compare Reggie Bush to O.J. Simpson. This is just Bush fans being melodramatic.

For some reason, they think O.J.’s crimes committed 15 years after his retirement have something to do with his football career. And for some reason, they think that because Reggie didn’t murder anyone it means he should get a pass for breaking the rules as a player. Their reasoning is illogical.

37. redsghost says: Jun 24, 2011 6:57 PM

Thanx Deb.
    Sometimes my opinion is controversial, but I don’t go out of my way to provoke an arguement (though I find myself in them wayyyy to often), like some of these others including Mdnittlion. More often than not, they’re just trying to stir the pot.
    BUT, my pile of logical crap is higher than their pile of illogical crap. Just no way I could ever consider OJ and Bush in the same boat.

38. mdnittlion says: Jun 24, 2011 9:01 PM

First off I don’t understand why some people turn to personal attacks on other people that post on here? I mean how mean spirited do you really have to be? I was just stating the facts that some individuals like myself don’t see the point of.

Anyway getting back to it.

@redsghost
    The morons I was speaking of are the USC admission that choose to remove all traces of Bush from there campus, but selectively choose to leave all the OJ gear pinned up. The AD at USC has already come out against Bush various times in the last year.

@ Deb
    This is America you are only the worst thing you have ever done. The criminal justice system as a whole is simply proof of that. Going into the hall of fame isn’t a right set in the constitution. The basic point of college athletes is to represent a member institution if individual can no longer do that, even after they graduate than their association with said institution should be severed. I have no idea why you have to resort to childish metaphors to proof some point? And having said that if you think I’m wrong than consider the two following points:
    1. After LT was convicted of raping a minor and registered as a sex offender the Giants cut all ties with him and he no longer receives checks from the NFL or the franchise, because they all knew better
    2. Once a year a letter is sent to a prison in Nevada that OJ gets to fill out for the Heisman voting & he will get that letter every year for the rest of his life and Reggie Bush on the other hand never will again for the rest of his life FACT

39. Deb says: Jun 25, 2011 12:03 PM

@mdnittlion …

I appreciate the clarification on your “moron” characterization because it read as though you were saying anyone who thought Reggie should have relinquished his Heisman while Simpson still has his was a moron. So you can see how that might provoke a sharp reply.

In your view, Americans judge people by the worst thing they have done. I’m a big picture person and capable of separating professional achievements from heinous personal behavior.

You may have found the metaphor childish, but it was no more childish than arguing that Simpson or Taylor should be removed from Canton. No, induction into Canton isn’t a Constitutional right, but both Simpson and Taylor more than earned their places in the Hall on the field and both had been inducted prior to their convictions. The Pro Football Hall of Fame does not have a so-called morals exclusion. Neither Simpson nor Taylor should be removed for criminal activity that occurred long after their careers ended. That would be rewriting history. Both men should be used to teach how success and fame can go horribly wrong.

I was not aware that USC was removing all traces of Reggie’s history from campus. That is an overreaction. But because he chose to cheat–knowing full well the potential consequences–the school has had to relinquish its national title and will spend years on probation. They will suffer his punishment while he enjoys a lucrative NFL career. I don’t blame them for being bitter. In time, they’ll probably get over it and restore him to the history. Simpson never dishonored the school as an athlete.

I don’t know why LT would have been getting checks from the Giants. He may have been employed by the team in some capacity and they chose to end that relationship following his arrest. But the league and the NFLPA cannot discontinue pension payments to either LT or Simpson because of their convictions.

It seems silly that O.J. is filling out his Heisman ballot in prison. But he is a former winner who earned his Heisman on the field. There is no reason to strip the man of his Heisman for crimes committed decades after it was awarded. The crimes had nothing to do with his football career. Reggie Bush cheated while playing football for USC. His cheating negated his Heisman eligibility. No matter how much it bothers you, the two situations are not related. FACT

40. redsghost says: Jun 25, 2011 1:23 PM

@ mdnittlion

Two major differences:
    Bush broke the Heisman Trust rules, got stripped of his Heisman award and trophy. The Heisman Trust punished him.

OJ didn’t break Heisman Trust rules. He broke state felony laws. The State punished him.

Given a choice of being punished by the Heisman Trust OR the State of Nevada- who do you think each of these two Bad guys would prefer? OJ would give up the title in a heartbeat to be free.