Source: NFLPA* tells players that a deal isn’t close

912766 Getty Images

And just as all signs and momentum were pointing toward the looming resolution of the lockout via a new Collective Bargaining Agreement, the weekly blast of ice water has arrived.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, NFLPA* executive director DeMaurice Smith told the players, “Don’t believe the hype.”  Smith also said that a deal isn’t close.

Now, it’s possible that this is part of an effort to reduce the perception that an agreement soon will be reached.  If enough players come to that conclusion, the NFL could choose to take a hard line on one or more of the remaining issues, forcing the NFLPA* to choose between conceding the point or killing a deal that the players think is done.

The fact that the news cuts against everything that has been reported, and everything that we’ve been hearing, makes us think/hope that Smith is simply trying to get the players not to believe that a deal is coming soon, even if it possibly is.

Either way, they need to keep working, every day and around the clock, if they plan to get a deal done in time to salvage all or part of the preseason.  And if it’s true that a deal isn’t close, then the it’s even more important for the parties to continue meeting on a daily basis until the deal is done.

Permalink 68 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
68 Responses to “Source: NFLPA* tells players that a deal isn’t close”
  1. jc1958cool says: Jun 23, 2011 2:34 PM

i thought there wasn’t any players union anymore! both liars

2. chwtom says: Jun 23, 2011 2:37 PM

Right, because DeMaurice Smith couldn’t go 5 days without doing something to ruin the labor talks.

3. trbowman says: Jun 23, 2011 2:38 PM

I misread the headline at first….

damn

4. conseannery says: Jun 23, 2011 2:40 PM

Please don’t tell me he actually used the words, “Don’t believe the hype.” I seriously can’t stand almost anything he says.

5. kane337 says: Jun 23, 2011 2:42 PM

A perfect example of why you can’t trust lawyers.

6. duanethomas says: Jun 23, 2011 2:42 PM

I guess your sources…not sources the people you quote are wrong. Then again with the Mickey Mouse blog, the next post headline will be “NFLPA* tells players a deal is almost done”. This site is so bi-polar.

7. hobartbaker says: Jun 23, 2011 2:42 PM

Mo told the players to relax and not worry. “I know it’s still June, and the best part of the summer is still ahead. We’ll make sure you get to enjoy it.”.

8. rcunningham says: Jun 23, 2011 2:42 PM

I want Mac and Cheese right now…

9. jdandcoke says: Jun 23, 2011 2:43 PM

if i were the owners id give this BS two more weeks to get straightened out. if no deal is done than the owners need to close up shop for the year. tell demaurice that they’ll talk to him next april. eff these players already.

10. oldbrowndawg says: Jun 23, 2011 2:44 PM

I don’t think these turds understand how truly frustrated and pissed the fans are at all their antics aimed at seeing who can piss higher up the tree! Nice picture of DeMaurice Smith on this thread! He looks like a genuine bloviator and rabble rouser, which is no doubt exactly what he is! Major league baseball is starting to look better and better compared to these clowns! They’d better get this damned thing done SOON, or I predict a rush to the exits on the part of NFL fans. Enough of this crap is WAY too much!!!!

11. oldbyrd says: Jun 23, 2011 2:44 PM

Just off the press. A deal has been made to put Dufus, commie Moron Smith in a cage @ The Philadelphia Zoo. All we need is Union approval

12. mushin9 says: Jun 23, 2011 2:44 PM

If they don’t play I’ll be pissed, but until then this may be the most entertaining offseason ever. This damn story has more twists, lies and strange bedfellows than a daytime soap. In a normal year I’d be pinning for any kind of news that didn’t involve players from my team being arrested while waiting for camp to start. Between a ridiculous free agency period on the horizon and constant news I’m digging it… Until the second games are missed and I start burning effigies.

Just trying to find the touch of grey here.

13. mvp43 says: Jun 23, 2011 2:48 PM

I think the perception (and reality) is that the owners have the leverage and the players are conceding. D just doesn’t want to lose his street cred………

14. lovesportsandsurfing says: Jun 23, 2011 2:48 PM

Remember what I told you all about Smith and his phony college education,..hes a fraud,…and his only goal is no NFL in 2011,…Iv been telling you all this for over a year and it is of course true.

15. berniemadoffsides says: Jun 23, 2011 2:50 PM

De, if you screw this up… ugh.

16. stampede101 says: Jun 23, 2011 2:50 PM

Sounds like those “fruits” have gone a little rotten…c’mon yall are screwing up my free wings!

17. ballsdeep24 says: Jun 23, 2011 2:51 PM

why the picture of the blowup doll?

18. bonniebengal says: Jun 23, 2011 2:51 PM

De Smith is the one holding everything up. I am convinced he wants to stay in the courts. The players need to throw him out on his butt.

19. hobartbaker says: Jun 23, 2011 2:51 PM

Some part of the message confusion in this matter can be blamed on the respective public relation officers. Former Iraqi Information Minister Muhammed Saheed Al-Shareef, and former Oakland Ca. preacher Harold Camping.

20. vmannj says: Jun 23, 2011 2:52 PM

If a 10-year deal is signed, no one will care what De Smith has to say anymore. He hasn’t had his chance to prance around a courtroom yet, and we all know he’s not done talking. He doesn’t WANT a deal to get done until his time in the spotlight runs out. That’s been the problem all along.

21. butterstone84 says: Jun 23, 2011 2:53 PM

who the heII is this Smith guy anyways! im getting so sick of hearing about this shlt! i just want some football already and these greedy SOBs are about to lose my support. go fins!

22. Deb says: Jun 23, 2011 2:56 PM

This thing needs a woman’s touch. Give me a couple of hours with these guys. I’ll try speaking softly. But if that doesn’t work, I’ll be sure to carry a big frying pan.

23. peytonwantsaflag says: Jun 23, 2011 3:05 PM

Well, according to MY even closer source with MORE knowledge of the situation, NFLPA* executive director DeMaurice Smith told the players, “Don’t trust whitey”. Smith also then said, “see a doctor and get rid of it.”

24. 4evrnyt says: Jun 23, 2011 3:09 PM

Not sure why it would matter if the players that aren’t involved in the negotiation in anyway have any opinion at all. They dont have any more power to stop this lock out then the rest of us. D-bag Smith can say whatever he wants cause the only people listening are the ones who cant do anything about it anyway.

So if he says a deal isn’t close its because when a deal is done he knows he’s out of a job. His contract will NOT be renewed and he knows it.

25. thephantomstranger says: Jun 23, 2011 3:11 PM

mushin9 says:
    Jun 23, 2011 2:44 PM
    ______________

You should become a Viking fan. Our offseasons are always full of entertaining news. Regular season too, I guess. The postseason doesn’t tend to be as entertaining…

26. qj1984 says: Jun 23, 2011 3:15 PM

My guess is it depends on your definition of close. IMO, two or three more weeks of negotiations to reach an agreement in principle, as has been speculated, is not that close. Sure its closer than what we’ve seen from previous negotiations but not close. Close would be, we’ve already agreed in principle and we’ve just got to clean up some minor issues.

So, yeah based on all that has been reported and my definition of close, I dont see anything wrong with this. The media is making it like a deal could be brokered tomorrow and anyone with common sense can see thats just not the case.

27. JSpicoli says: Jun 23, 2011 3:20 PM

Not much has changed. This thing is going into September.

28. Playmaker's Dealer says: Jun 23, 2011 3:21 PM

shoulda used a photo of Debbie Downer instead of the blowup doll.

this guy will never say anything positive….even when the deal is done.

29. bison4me says: Jun 23, 2011 3:24 PM

Instead of going to their mattresses, every single lawyer involved in this process should be going to the woodshed.

30. redrew says: Jun 23, 2011 3:24 PM

More free time for players…. jailers….be on alert.
    More free time for Adrian Peterson to stiff his young campers.

31. bradwins says: Jun 23, 2011 3:36 PM

Posturing.

[crosses fingers]

32. eagiants says: Jun 23, 2011 3:39 PM

Whew…I feel better now that the predictable cold water splash has hit us for the day.

This lockout is so predictable and I’m totally over it. Wake me when the deal is signed.

33. whags334 says: Jun 23, 2011 3:39 PM

Look up DeMaurice Smith in the dictionary and the definition would be sleezy, publicity hound, ambulance chasing lawyer. From the beginning, Smith has made it well known that he was seeking a long drawn out confrontation with the league. He wants to drag this out for as long as possible so he can keep watching himself on TV.

And whoever was the m0r0n who said this has been the most entertaining off season ever I guess is a big court TV fan and not a real NFL fan because this has been anything but an entertaining NFL off season.

34. capslockkey says: Jun 23, 2011 3:44 PM

Don’t believe the hype. Yaaaaa boiiiiiiiii! So git up, git git down, DeBag Smith is a joke in yo town.

35. sterling7 says: Jun 23, 2011 3:49 PM

I noticed DeMaurices contract with the players union expires come March of 2012……might this have something to do with him dragging out the negotiations?

36. bodester says: Jun 23, 2011 3:49 PM

D. Smith is the worst thing to happen to football. His ego and self interests come before the players and the fans.

37. tumsman2 says: Jun 23, 2011 3:50 PM

I haven’t seen any reports of the players being less greedy. So i doubt a deal is close.

38. juststeel says: Jun 23, 2011 3:54 PM

DeMaurice Smith is as dumb as he looks!

39. thephantomstranger says: Jun 23, 2011 3:55 PM

Deb says:
    Jun 23, 2011 2:56 PM
    ____________

That would work for me.

40. thegonz13 says: Jun 23, 2011 3:59 PM

Things were going fine without the lawyers. Now, in comes this bozo and he screws things up!

41. bobbyhoying says: Jun 23, 2011 4:06 PM

I think a group of players should re-form a union and negotiate directly with the owners. Those who want to be represented by Smith can sit out for the rest of their lives.

42. wt01 says: Jun 23, 2011 4:09 PM

People need to relax. Nobody on either side of a negotiation likes to say that things are “close” until they’re actually done. Too much chance of having it fall apart.

43. jackfnburton says: Jun 23, 2011 4:18 PM

Exactly. Nobody wants to poison the talks by leaking that it’s almost done. This could mean something, but it probably doesn’t. Non story. Next topic.

#PLEASEENDLOCKOUTNOW

44. canuck54143 says: Jun 23, 2011 4:21 PM

NFL, NFLPA* you just screwed up. Not only have I been catching the NHL buzz during the Playoffs, now I’m looking forward to the draft. By the way I love my new Blawkhawks Jersey I got for Fathers day from the NHL site… Yep that’s right I told the kids no NFL merch. I don’t want to support either side. So now the owners missed out on 52%, and the players 48% of the profit if I would have bought a Peppers Jersey…

45. slicknick4ever says: Jun 23, 2011 4:23 PM

I hate De Smith…. I wish the players would just fire this guy and hire someone with a level head. He seems like the kind of guy that is hard to work with…
    Please don’t let this be true….

46. djstat says: Jun 23, 2011 4:27 PM

I hate De Smith

47. brutus9448 says: Jun 23, 2011 4:32 PM

the players have a choice. Take 48 percent of 10 billion or bag groceries. Its a tough one

48. rugdog100 says: Jun 23, 2011 4:36 PM

D = Buzz Kill (amogst other things)

49. bradjames33160 says: Jun 23, 2011 4:38 PM

DeMoron I don’t believe you. However, once the CBA is signed, your blood should seal the deal. Yes, this tool should be crucified. Enough of this piece of crap trying to ruin my football.

50. isphet71 says: Jun 23, 2011 4:43 PM

Every time I hear “Don’t believe the hype” I get the image in my head of Flava Flav screeching that line out, neck-clock waving in the air (like he just doesn’t care!)

Public Enemy = Demaurice Smith?

coincidence?

51. jeff061 says: Jun 23, 2011 4:44 PM

Have to believe the players have had it w/ this flame-thrower approach from this idiot.

52. tommyf15 says: Jun 23, 2011 4:53 PM

I love how DeMaurice Smith sharing an honest evaluation with the players somehow makes him the bad guy.

The St. Louis court needs to finally make a decision and end the lockout.

53. jesse1834 says: Jun 23, 2011 4:58 PM

They better get a deal done!!!

54. vetdana says: Jun 23, 2011 5:04 PM

i hate to say it ….but i told you so….This is NOT OVER ….until a CBA is signed , sealed and delivered…..no matter how much we want it to be !!

55. ravensfan4life52 says: Jun 23, 2011 5:13 PM

I haven’t seen this reported anywhere else so I’m skeptical but we shall see. and thank you PFT for deleting my previous comment on this for no reason. all i said was i have doubts about this article

56. revischrist says: Jun 23, 2011 5:25 PM

I’m not a fan of D Smith but some of you guys like oldbyrd calling him a “commie” are hysterical. Is it really that hard to understand that it’s the players who want a free market system,while the owners,those hardcore capitalists, want their own version of socialism.
    Some of you right wing nutjobs really need to grow a brain.
    And please by all means keep clicking the thumbs up on racist posts like the one by peytonwantsaflag. It shows exactly where most of you are coming from.

57. mvp43 says: Jun 23, 2011 5:30 PM

Get the damn thing done so the crime rate doesn’t go up!

58. vikesfansteve says: Jun 23, 2011 5:31 PM

where’s his fruity hat?

59. theblowtorchreview says: Jun 23, 2011 5:36 PM

What is this NFL you are refering to?

Honestly, I have found other interests to occupy my time. Who knew radio control truck racing was SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!!!

60. ravenspit says: Jun 23, 2011 6:09 PM

De Smith looks like he should be swimming in a fish tank in a chinese restaurant

61. commandercornpone says: Jun 23, 2011 6:10 PM

Source: NFLPA* tells players* that a deal isn’t close

there, i fixed it for you.

bring in the scabs.

62. commandercornpone says: Jun 23, 2011 6:12 PM

the players*, as represented by the nflpa*, dont want a free market system.

at first they wanted to dictate terms. the nflpa* still wants to do that.

the players at this point want their jobs back any way they can get them. cant eat bling.

63. mjkelly77 says: Jun 23, 2011 6:30 PM

Why expect DeMoron to stop lying to the players?
    Won’t he receive additonal compensation the longer this goes on? He has a troublesome big mouth surrounded by five pound lips. A funny shaped head, too. No wonder he always wore those pimp hats.

64. downsouth49er says: Jun 23, 2011 6:31 PM

I told you guys not to drink the koolaid until it was a done deal. I don’t believe anything that is reported!! I’ll believe it all when an official deal is done, everything else is just false hope and stories by sites like this to keep us tuned in.

65. terminatorlikesmaids says: Jun 23, 2011 8:45 PM

Can anyone tell me how D Smith is in a position to negotiate a CBA. The NFLPA does not exist, right?

66. peytonwantsaflag says: Jun 23, 2011 9:10 PM

give me a break revischrist- I should just let you wallow in your ignorance -Google “don’t trust whitey, see a doctor and get rid of it” and see what you come up with.

Somebody as culturally ignorant as you really has no business commenting on a public forum.

67. tommyf15 says: Jun 23, 2011 9:18 PM

commandercornpone says:
    bring in the scabs.

Sorry, but it’s illegal to hires scabs during a lockout.

Watching “The Replacements”was one of the worst things that happened to a lot of football fans. It wasn’t a documentary.

68. tommyf15 says: Jun 23, 2011 10:02 PM

terminatorlikesmaids says:

1. It exists as a trade association.

2. The judges in MN and MO instructed the sides to keep negotiating, and the owners agreed not to use that as a means to claim that they really haven’t decertified.