Chiefs pay visit to Joplin, Missouri

Recovery Efforts Continue In Joplin, MO After Deadly Tornado Getty Images

The city of Joplin, Missouri got a little help from the Chiefs organization as they continue the process of rebuilding after the devastation wrought by tornadoes last month.

Quarterback Matt Cassel, linebacker Andy Studebaker and first-round pick Jonathan Baldwin were among the 136 members of the organization that spent Thursday hauling debris to aid in the cleanup efforts. The players also signed autographs as part of an effort to make things a little better for people still trying to put their lives in order.

“One day isn’t going to fix it,” Studebaker said. “One group isn’t going to fix it. Collectively, we need a lot of people locking arms and saying we’re going to own this community. It’s going to take a lot of time and a lot of people, but we can make this place better again.”

It is the second trip that Cassel, who likened the damage to the aftermath of a nuclear bomb, and Baldwin have made to the area and the Chiefs are also selling special merchandise to raise money for the relief effort on their website. They also collected about 150,000 bottles of water at Arrowhead Stadium in the days following the storm. The Rams have made similar gestures toward Joplin and the Patriots are doing the same after tornadoes ripped through Massachusetts in June.

The trip provided members of Chiefs management a rare chance to spend time with players during the lockout. The league has wisely made efforts like the one in Joplin an exclusion to the rules barring contact during the work stoppage. Chiefs owner Clark Hunt was going to be on the trip, but he was in Boston for labor negotiations leaving general manager Scott Pioli to lead the group.

“It’s great for us all to be together,” Pioli said. “Just because this is a work stoppage doesn’t mean it’s a life stoppage. The bottom line is we’re all a part of this community. It’s great to see everybody and for the right reasons, too.”

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
17 Responses to “Chiefs pay visit to Joplin, Missouri”
  1. canjura says: Jun 24, 2011 10:46 AM

As much as people wanted to rip the Chiefs and the Rams for what they DIDNT donate in money, I want to see you rip them now for giving up man hours. As wise men always say, you can’t put a money value on your time.

2. coachstram says: Jun 24, 2011 10:49 AM

Once again, KC beats the Rams to the punch. Though some cynics will cry this only a PR move, at least its a move, nonetheless.

So Rams, again you follow behind the Chiefs, baseball Cardinals, Colts, and a group of first graders selling lemonade.

Shameful

3. Spencer says: Jun 24, 2011 11:06 AM

Nice to see the Chiefs giving back.

4. ramofsteel says: Jun 24, 2011 11:12 AM

Who the hell cares who got there 1st? The point is these Chief players are givin up THEIR time and helpin those in need. Good for them.

5. pftrumors says: Jun 24, 2011 11:28 AM

Good to hear. Out of work NFL players are the best helping hands.

6. comeonnowguys says: Jun 24, 2011 11:34 AM

@coachstram Are you really turning the disaster recovery into a “my team’s better than yours” pissing match? Kinda weak, imo.

Good on the Chiefs, though.

7. sportsdrenched says: Jun 24, 2011 11:38 AM

I’m a Chiefs Fan, and even I think the crack on St Louis was uncalled for.

Now, The NFL, NFLPA, associated lawyers, judges, special masters, and abitrators need to move the labor negotiations to Joplin to get some perspective.

8. capslockkey says: Jun 24, 2011 11:50 AM

9. coachstram says: Jun 24, 2011 11:53 AM

@comeonnowguys……

Not at all. The last thing this region needs is pissing matches.

IMO, I consider myself qualified to make my comments because I AM a St. Louis resident, I HAVE volunteered my time and resources towards food and drives, toilet paper, toothbrushes, etc.

My point is this, the Rams are eager to take a Missourians hard earned cash, but very slow to give back to the community.

If you recall, they were going to content and snug not giving a damn dime – until KC stepped forward first………THEN they open the pocketbook.

Just last weekend, the cards and Royals raised well over 200K through auctions, donations, and raising awareness with the public.

All this while the Rams posture thier way towards a new staudium or outright move.

My point is, unless they are pressured, or another oragnization “does the right thing” first, they are content to sit and watch.

Hell, they did squat when homes were lost to a tornado that hit just a few miles from thier practice facility!

10. bleedchiefs says: Jun 24, 2011 12:20 PM

“Sure looks like Dilfer was dead on about his diva and locker room cancer assessment on Baldwin. What a jerk he is for traveling with his new teammates helping out a tornado raveged town, not even being under contract yet.”

No joke. I live in Joplin and this is actually the 2nd time he has been down here. He came down in late May with Cassel as well.

More player came than listed as well. Rookie’s Rodney Hudson and Shane Bannon, Pierre Walters, Reshard Langford, Mark Donovan and even the Don himself Scott Pioli. I know I am forgetting some player’s that where helping as well.

11. chiefsfan22 says: Jun 24, 2011 12:29 PM

Kuddos to the Chiefs for taking the time to go to Joplin to help. I am from Joplin but now live in Little Rock. I have made three trips to help my friends and family and trust me, they need all the help they can get in this town. I want to thank all of them for doing anything to help but most importantly for keeping my hometown on the minds of people everywhere. Just another reason for me to love my team!!! Thank you Chiefs!!!

12. hobartbaker says: Jun 24, 2011 12:57 PM

Visiting Joplin took 11 days and covered three counties.

13. southmo says: Jun 24, 2011 1:22 PM

The Chiefs were right next to Samaritan’s Purse HQ and where we were yesterday. It was good of them to be there, and to bring attention to the work. After a month, sometimes the attention starts to wane and the Chiefs helped keep it in the spotlight. So thank you to the players and staff who were there.

14. tdk24 says: Jun 24, 2011 2:06 PM

I’m all for helping the tornado victims, but if the players and office people were doing this together, doesn’t that go against some kind of lockout rule? “Hey, Matt, hand me that shovel, by the way, we got this new play coach wanted to tell you about, it goes like this……

15. bleedchiefs says: Jun 24, 2011 2:31 PM

I was around them the whole day helping out. Every time football got brought up they changed the subject.

16. granadafan says: Jun 24, 2011 2:35 PM

Good job, Chiefs.

17. capslockkey says: Jun 24, 2011 2:46 PM

@tdk24

Did you bother to read the article? The second to last paragraph addresses your question. It’s no different than Jerry Jones being able to attend Romo’s wedding.