Cowboys “cautiously optimistic” they’ll go to San Antonio

Dez Bryant, Ray Sherman AP

With the Ravens and Jets already announcing that they’re moving their training camps to their team facilities, and the Vikings announcing that they’ll follow suit if the lockout isn’t lifted by July 18, it’s reasonable for fans who make an annual pilgrimage to their favorite team’s camp to start to wonder if their team is next.

If you’re one of the 200,000 or so who visit San Antonio when the Cowboys have their training camp there, you can be “cautiously optimistic” that you’ll get to see them again this year.

That’s the word from an unnamed source speaking to the San Antonio Express-News, although that source added that the labor situation is uncertain enough that “nobody wants to step up and bet the farm or the house on it right now.”

The source said the Cowboys will “wait until the last minute to decide” whether they can start camp in San Antonio as scheduled on July 25. We’re still hoping the lockout ends soon enough that they don’t have to wait until the last minute.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
36 Responses to “Cowboys “cautiously optimistic” they’ll go to San Antonio”
  1. krow101 says: Jun 25, 2011 6:35 PM

2. bresilhac says: Jun 25, 2011 6:42 PM

The 200,000 or so who “visit” San Antonio? I don’t think so. The vast, vast majority of the fans who attend Dallas’ practices are from the San Antonio area. Which is amazing since the Cowboys aren’t really San Antonio’s team. The incredible attendance figures for what amounts to nothing more than a series of glorified practices are proof that San Antonio should have its own NFL team to support. How much more proof does one need. I say forget Los Angeles and let’s have a franchise placed in San Antonio where a team would enjoy genuine support. Not fair-weathered support.

3. gmack818 says: Jun 25, 2011 6:55 PM

cowboys suck man berries…….go lions

4. cserisey says: Jun 25, 2011 7:25 PM

I’m “cautiously optimistic” about the condition of Hugo Chavez (wink wink, nudge nudge) and no, I do not care in the least how cruel that makes me seem. Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.

5. scott8nj says: Jun 25, 2011 7:30 PM

Gotta have impending doom to make any progress? Yep, must have the pressure. Can’t end the lockout and continue to bargain. Same reason compromise couldn’t have started 3 months ago. Tired of this BS.

6. melonnhead says: Jun 25, 2011 7:58 PM

——————————————————

7. melonnhead says: Jun 25, 2011 8:05 PM

——————————————————

I agree. Texas has high school teams that could rival the Raiders in terms of attendance. Some of them could probably beat the Lions.

8. turbodog1027 says: Jun 25, 2011 8:24 PM

SA will never get a team as long as Jerry owns the cowgirls. You can bet a million pesos on that amigos

9. Soulman45 says: Jun 25, 2011 8:36 PM

10. krow101 says: Jun 25, 2011 8:48 PM

“They get huge crowds when they hold training camp in California, too. Don’t be jealous.”

_____

Back East … all that Cowboy stuff … if you’re not working a ranch then you’re probably g’ay.

11. terminatorlikesmaids says: Jun 25, 2011 9:09 PM

I say who cares about the Cowboys…and who really cares about San Antonio.

12. bhindenemylines says: Jun 25, 2011 9:10 PM

Soulman45 says:
    Jun 25, 2011 8:36 PM

_________________________

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations Soulman45; you are officially the 1st person to use the words “great” and “lions” in the same sentence EVER.

Here’s an idea, go post on your own team’s stories.

Oh wait..there are none.

13. laeaglefan says: Jun 25, 2011 9:17 PM

I agree….forget LA…..Nobody in LA wants the NFL back here. San Antonio deserves to have a team. To hell with what Jerry Jones wants!

14. Robert says: Jun 25, 2011 10:05 PM

San Antonio Raiders?

15. iga26 says: Jun 25, 2011 10:09 PM

“Soulman45 says:Jun 25, 2011 8:36 PM

The great Detroit lions team will go 10 and 6 the weak cowgirls will go 4 and 12.”

Yes, the great Lions, the only great team with a 0-16 record. Ha ha

16. stonedwhitetrash says: Jun 25, 2011 10:11 PM

Nooo the San Antonio UNDOCUMENTED is the perfect name

17. 1bigtex says: Jun 25, 2011 10:43 PM

Yes, lots of fans go to San Antonio to watch parts of training camp. The Cowboys have had close to 20,000 for a single practice. So what? Lots of things to do in the area. Amusement parks, the river walk, some of the best preserved Spanish-era missions in the US, Schlitterban, lots of golf. Quite a few folks vacation in the San Antonio area. Some of them take in a few practices.

18. thetooloftools says: Jun 25, 2011 10:49 PM

Last year they were convinced they would go to Dallas to host a Super Bowl.
    How’d that taste?

19. Little Earthquake says: Jun 26, 2011 12:15 AM

Cowboys are also “cautiously optimistic” they won’t totally suck again this year.

The Lions may not be “great” yet (like a previous poster claims) but the Cowboys are certainly worse at this point.

20. Soulman45 says: Jun 26, 2011 12:16 AM

@bhindenemylines
    This might help any thing for a cowgirl!!!!!!1

21. Soulman45 says: Jun 26, 2011 12:22 AM

I am going to Dallas to see them play in the Super Bowl
    OH OH OOOOOOHHH
    That was last year they didn’t make it not even the play off.
    OH OH they draft before “The Great Detroit Lions “

22. melonnhead says: Jun 26, 2011 12:39 AM

The joke’s on you. The Super Bowl was in Arlington.

23. virusgvr says: Jun 26, 2011 2:37 AM

@bhindenemylines…. That Is awesome!!! You know as a Packers fan myself I gotta say, I am expecting a run for our money on those 2 games against the Lions. They need a QB that actually has name recognition, not some jerkoff

24. jets2481 says: Jun 26, 2011 4:20 AM

im not a coyboys fan but can the lockout please be over so stuff like this are not stories anymore?

25. txhc says: Jun 26, 2011 5:38 AM

“krow101 says:
    Jun 25, 2011 6:35 PM
    200,000 visit training camp? Wow. I knew Texas was a dull place. But I didn’t know it was that bad.”

Wrong. Texas isn’t dull. You just underestimate exactly how popular the Cowboys are down here.

26. txhc says: Jun 26, 2011 5:38 AM

They don’t call Texas football country for nothing.

27. txhc says: Jun 26, 2011 5:40 AM

bresilhac, honestly even if San Antonio got a team I bet a lot of them would still be Cowboys fans. They are die hard down there.

28. melonnhead says: Jun 26, 2011 9:15 AM

——————————————————

Based on what?

29. melonnhead says: Jun 26, 2011 9:30 AM

——————————————————

You realize the Cowboys beat the Lions 35-19 with Jon Kitna at QB last season, right? Not only did the great Jon Kitna outrush everybody on the Lions, he ran for a 29 yard TD (and threw 3 TD passes) haha Jon Freaking Kitna!

30. jcg23 says: Jun 26, 2011 1:57 PM

I’ve loved the San Antonio Training Camps. I’ve gone every year they have had them there since ’07. I’m from Austin. Many of us travel from all over the place to go see the TC so we can see with our own eyes if the media is blowing smoke up our butts or not.

Keeping their Training Camp in Texas should be something that Jerry wants. Not going to Oxnard or anywhere else. We aren’t a baseball team!!!

31. bhindenemylines says: Jun 26, 2011 2:11 PM

Soulman,

Thanks for the link. Now if I ever want to do research on a team that the Cowboys beat last year with a backup QB and who a few years ago went 0-16, I can.

And just so you know, the word “great” means that the team has actually won something. Last time I check it has been 12 years since a playoff appearance, 18 years since a division title, and 54 years since an NFL championship; .

32. bhindenemylines says: Jun 26, 2011 2:13 PM

So to complete my post, if that’s what “great” means, so be it.

I hope my team is never “great”. I’d rather have them be known as “Champions”.

And very original use of “cowgirls”. Did you come up with that all by yourself???

Good one, you got me.

33. 1bigtex says: Jun 26, 2011 4:13 PM

Do we actually have people trying to talk smack about the Lions? The “never been to the Super Bowl” Lions? The “10 straight losing seasons and counting” Lions? The “we’re 89 games UNDER .500 as a team” Lions? The “they haven’t been relevant since Eisenhower was in the White House” Lions? The “we can’t sell out the Silverdome even with Barry Sanders on the field” Lions? That’s the only Detroit Lions franchise I’m aware of. Those guys must be talking about some parallel universe where the Lions are successful.

34. Soulman45 says: Jun 26, 2011 10:57 PM

@bhindenemylines
    I am glade the link will be of help the cowgirls is the one that really need the help maybe you can get dress and lean a hand.

35. 1bigtex says: Jun 27, 2011 8:21 AM

@ Soulman45

Go back and read that last statement you posted again. To quote Dean Wormer, “Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son”.

36. bhindenemylines says: Jun 27, 2011 10:10 AM

@ Soulman45

Obviously based on your logic, knowledge of NFl history, and spelling skills, the 45 is your IQ.

Good luck in high school. You’re gonna need it.