Donovan McNabb thinks athletes should get off Twitter

25-Oct-10_98718656JD048_Washington_Re_crop_450x500 Getty Images

Steelers safety Ryan Clark thinks social media sites like Twitter are “ruining the world.”  Redskins (for now) quarterback Donovan McNabb hasn’t gone quite that far.  McNabb merely thinks that pro athletes shouldn’t use it.

The topic came up during an in-studio interview of McNabb on ESPN 1ooo’s Waddle & Silvy, in conjunction with the criticism of Bears quarterback Jay Cutler, from guys like Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew, that came from other NFL players on Twitter after a knee injury sidelined Cutler for the second half of the NFC title game.

“First of all I’m not a fan of Twitter,” McNabb said, via a transcript provided to PFT by ESPN 1000.  “Nothing against their program or what they have, but as an athlete I think you need to get off of Twitter.  All these social networks of you tweeting about you watching a game when you wanna be playing in it but you’re mad you’re not playing in it, so you’re gonna criticize someone that’s playing in it. I don’t believe that that’s the right deal.  That’s not professional by any means and, you know, we’re all in a fraternity, so if you see a guy who’s struggling, this isn’t the time to jump on him or kick him while he’s down, you know, because that same guy will come against you and kinda blast your team out the water.  So I think for an athlete to be Twittering is the wrong move, it’s one that [athletes should] leave to the fans and let them comment on certain things, but athletes need to get off Twitter.”

McNabb makes a lot of sense.  Fortunately for those of us who like to capture the thoughts of athletes in candid moments — like sitting at home and feeling impulsive, possibly after having a cocktail or two — not many athletes will heed McNabb’s advice.

Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
48 Responses to “Donovan McNabb thinks athletes should get off Twitter”
  1. bleedgreen80 says: Jun 25, 2011 9:59 AM

Well Put

2. shawshankreception says: Jun 25, 2011 10:02 AM

He’s right – it’s extremely dumb for those players who lack a filter to go on Twitter and impulsively spout what’s on their minds. However, I do find it highly entertaining when they do.

3. arrogantathlete says: Jun 25, 2011 10:03 AM

No please don’t! I like hearing how they truly feel. It’s so entertaining.

4. vicktator says: Jun 25, 2011 10:03 AM

McNabb hates twitter, he prefers to throw teammates under the bus, rip fans, and make excuses in press conferences and interviews.

5. mdpickles says: Jun 25, 2011 10:04 AM

For every Ochocinco or Brandon Phillips who use Twitter to engage with fans in a fun way, there are 10 MJD’s who constantly stick foot in mouth.

6. paulyshore1 says: Jun 25, 2011 10:10 AM

maybe donovan should get off the couch

7. sakatak says: Jun 25, 2011 10:11 AM

Duh

8. bubbabart says: Jun 25, 2011 10:11 AM

LOL, I thought the headlines said “Atheists”….wow, I was wondering where McNabb was coming from. Actually….Spot on Donovan!

9. macjacmccoy says: Jun 25, 2011 10:16 AM

they dont need to get off twitter. They just need to not say anything on a computer that that they wouldnt say in a press conference bc its the same thing.

10. colinito says: Jun 25, 2011 10:21 AM

Some wisdom from Twitter, courtesy of Arian Foster:

“I was a thinking human before i ever touched a football”RT @cdharris4Please leave the philosophy to Socrates and lead the league in rushing.

11. colinito says: Jun 25, 2011 10:23 AM

More Twitter wisdom, this time from fan favorite Rashard Mendenhall:

“Words are very powerful. If I say Im headed to a workout, its no big deal. But if I share an idea, its dangerous cause now people r thinkng.”

12. eaglesnoles05 says: Jun 25, 2011 10:25 AM

A-FRIGGIN-MEN, Donny. It’s unprofessional, period. Period. Nothing more needs to be said. Tweeting daily yip yap is conduct unbecoming of a professional. I am not AT ALL for people being restricted in their speech, mind you. I’m just for people making the right choice and not doing it, on their own accord.

I still love ya 5. Always have always will.

Didn’t we almost have it all…
    The rise with you was worth the fall, my friend.
    Didn’t we almost have it all.

Haha love it, whitney.

13. rayvens says: Jun 25, 2011 10:27 AM

im sorry McNabb but i “need” to know when Santonio Holmes is having a Wake n Bake or when Kenny Britt Retires (and Takes it Back) or Who’s the best LB on the Giants (presented By L.McCoy) or Who’s knick name is Lady Gaga. That’s wat we live for!….LOCK OUT END NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. SpartaChris says: Jun 25, 2011 10:31 AM

Twitter can be a great tool for fostering relationships with and reaching out to fans. However, players certainly need to exercise a bit of restraint. Not every thought that pops into your mind is worth posting, and many will wind up getting you into trouble.

15. eaglesfootballfan says: Jun 25, 2011 10:31 AM

I agree. Most players like Chad Ochocinco don’t care because the NFL fines guys for using it during games and he still does it anyway.

16. SpartaChris says: Jun 25, 2011 10:35 AM

Twitter taught me that Rise N Grind is the preferred brand of coffee amongst NFL Players.

17. gtmann says: Jun 25, 2011 10:38 AM

FINALLY !!!!! Someone said it

18. hoobsher says: Jun 25, 2011 11:13 AM

mcnabb: “why wont anyone listen to me anymore…?”

19. annnann says: Jun 25, 2011 11:15 AM

I think Twitter is a great tool for athletes to stay connected with fans. However, many players don’t realize the limits of it and end up writing the most ridiculous comments like 9/11, dissing other players, and some pretty obscene thing. There are ways to use twitter to your advantage like if you’re a public figure and you’re having charity events, twitter is a great way to promote it. Even normal talks with fans on twitter like ‘how is your day’ a re-tweet or whatever. I know many fans appreciate that.

I guess my point is if you don’t have complete breakdowns on Twitter and know that you don’t have to tweet every single thought that runs through your mind, its probably not so bad.

20. laeaglefan says: Jun 25, 2011 11:46 AM

When professional athletes (and entertainers in general) get on Twitter and make stupid comments like some of them do, all it accomplishes is to show the world what jackasses they really are.

21. prior0knowledge says: Jun 25, 2011 12:11 PM

Let me try again without the “bad” words:

NFL players should stay away from Twitter because how does it sound to say, “I am making a tweet on twitter.”

22. timtheenchanter1 says: Jun 25, 2011 12:13 PM

In the immortal words of gridiron legend Forrest Gump, “Stupid is as stupid does.”

When are people going to realize that the problem isn’t twitter. The same athletes who say stupid things on twitter would be saying the same stupid things in interviews, or on call-in radio shows, or in other public places, or they’ll say them directly to the other players they mean to insult. Our media-tainment driven world would seek them out because that s**t sells. The only difference is that with twitter we all find out who’s stupid just a little bit quicker this way.

Just because some people are too foolish to use a tool properly doesn’t mean a whole group of athletes should get painted with the same broad brush.

The problem is that the ones who are likely to say stupid things are the ones who are too stupid to filter what they say on pretty much any medium.

23. Deb says: Jun 25, 2011 12:20 PM

Donovan has always been one of the class acts of the sport.

24. bsizemore68 says: Jun 25, 2011 12:34 PM

For what seems like most of theses guys I like the old saying ” it is best to have people think that you are not to bright then to open your twitter and removed all doubt ” trash talk will get a bunch of players in trouble with there team mates, however some just can’t help themselves, when you are a slave to a million dollar contract you get light in the brain. Bill

25. kjack0077 says: Jun 25, 2011 12:35 PM

Social media is OK for athletes if they use it respectfully and responsibly because the media and fans are watching.

I find it interesting that McNabb has a strong opinion about any subject at all. I’d like to know his true feelings about how the Shanahans threw him under the bus to the media. How coud this man not defend himself. He hid behind the comments of his agent defending him. Since he wont publicy defend himself against such vile disprespect by the Shanahans he should just keep his mouth shut in regards to what other athletes do. I respect that sometimes you have to take the high road, but other times you have to man up.

26. dbellina says: Jun 25, 2011 12:54 PM

If players get off Twitter, the what would Ochocinco do during football games?

27. hoobsher says: Jun 25, 2011 12:54 PM

@vicktator

but nobody remembers that, just how much he was disrespected and underappreciated in philly.

28. coachknights says: Jun 25, 2011 1:04 PM

I think Donovan McNabb should learn the 2 minute offense.

29. jacksaysfu says: Jun 25, 2011 1:08 PM

“Donovan Mcnabb thinks players should get off twitter ”

Well I think Donovan McNabb should worry less about what players are doing , and spend more time learning playbook terminology or atleast figure out how to wear the wristband .

30. deadeye says: Jun 25, 2011 1:24 PM

That is the smartest thing I’ve ever heard McNabb say, and I agree with him 100%.

31. laeaglefan says: Jun 25, 2011 1:44 PM

For any of you wondering why Donovan has kept his mouth shut (so far) about the Shanahans….just wait until he’s “officially” no longer a Redskin. The man will spew venom like you’ve never heard from him before.

32. dgforreal says: Jun 25, 2011 1:44 PM

Anything with “Twit” in the name shouldn’t be trusted.

33. iamthorny says: Jun 25, 2011 1:46 PM

Perhaps, when Twitter releases the “Twitter Wristband” (chock full of witty things to post to your Twitter page) he’ll then change his tune.

34. tommyf15 says: Jun 25, 2011 1:54 PM

LOL at the irony of certain PFT posters chastising anyone for saying stupid things!

35. gdeli says: Jun 25, 2011 2:14 PM

he’s right. anybody has to run the comment thru their filter before posting on that or facebook.

36. egls7 says: Jun 25, 2011 3:27 PM

I miss u don

37. 1bigtex says: Jun 25, 2011 5:24 PM

Given his last playoff performance, Donovan thinks players should spend less time on Twitter and more time on “Guitar Hero”.

38. geniusesq says: Jun 25, 2011 6:52 PM

Donovan is right. But, someone like him could be on Twitter and be fine. He’s too scared of protecting his “image” or “media career” though. Just retire.

39. hikohadon says: Jun 25, 2011 8:05 PM

Twitter is the worst invention since mosquitoes.

40. aigraiders says: Jun 25, 2011 8:34 PM

Great comments from Donavan. He is dead on.

41. backinblack67 says: Jun 25, 2011 9:02 PM

I agree Donavan…and you should get off the twinkees and onto the Bowflex.

42. theblowtorchreview says: Jun 25, 2011 9:20 PM

Actually, I’m a little surprised so many of them know how to use a computer (or phone) and the internet!

43. freedomispopular says: Jun 25, 2011 9:43 PM

All people, not just athletes, should stop airing their every thought.

44. MichaelEdits says: Jun 25, 2011 10:01 PM

Maybe Donovan should tweet that? No, I’m kidding. He is right.

45. bcjim says: Jun 25, 2011 10:44 PM

Agree.

Twitter = Running with scissors.

46. jaypace says: Jun 25, 2011 11:04 PM

I mean do we really care what athletes think. They are paid to run, catch and throw. Most of these guys can barely spell. I’ll tell you what finish college then I’ll listen to what you have to say athletes.

47. johnnyblaze518 says: Jun 26, 2011 11:43 PM

Twitter is the dumbest thing created aside from Facebook

48. deweyaxewound says: Jul 5, 2011 12:44 PM

jaypace says:
    Jun 25, 2011 11:04 PM
    ____________________________

Thanks for all the irony, Captain Punctuation.