Jay Gruden “absolutely kind of surprised” he’s an NFL offensive coordinator

92354585_crop_650x440 Getty Images

Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden hoped to get a shot in the NFL.  He never expected his first should would come as an offensive coordinator.

“I originally thought that from my background I would have to come in [to the NFL] as a position coach,” Jon’s younger brother told Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com.  Jay Gruden previously served as a head coach in the UFL and Arena Football League.  “I’m confident that I’m ready, but I didn’t think anybody else thought that.”

As a result, Gruden was “absolutely kind of surprised” that his chance came not as, say, a quarterbacks coach but as the architect of the offense.  The fact that he was hired by a head coach with a defensive background gives Gruden even greater responsibilities.

“From the time the season was over, I talked to different coaches and spent time thinking about what direction it was best to go offensively,” coach Marvin Lewis told Marvez.  “Jay’s name kept coming up.”

Still, production could continue to go down, at least in the short term.  Quarterback Carson Palmer wants out, and Gruden believes Palmer won’t be showing up.

“I haven’t talked to Carson yet,” Gruden said.  “Based on everything I’ve read and heard, he’s not coming back.  If he has a change of heart, we’d love to have him.  If not, we just have to get somebody ready to go.”

If they can’t, Lewis eventually could go.  And Gruden likely would end up going, too.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
31 Responses to “Jay Gruden “absolutely kind of surprised” he’s an NFL offensive coordinator”
  1. eaglesfootballfan says: Jun 25, 2011 10:33 AM

If Carson Palmer does not want to be there, move on. Why have that kind of distraction on the team???

2. richsaint says: Jun 25, 2011 10:42 AM

Its because of the sheer precident you set.
    Palmer doesnt want to be there a few years ago it was Ocho, before that it was corey dillon. They didnt let any of them go, if they actually let palmer go then they set the expectation that they will continue to do this and you will have more who will try to force their way out of town.

That being said Mike should be looking at this completely differently.
    He should see that 3 of the faces of his franchise of the last decade have tried to force their way out! THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG AT THE CORE OF THE FRANCHISE! I see it, and I am just some shlub off the street not frigging a OWNER/GM in the NFL!

3. duanethomas says: Jun 25, 2011 10:44 AM

I’d like a 4th option on your poll.

Who care’s! Thumbs Up.

4. rayvens says: Jun 25, 2011 10:45 AM

—————————
    That only matters on a real NFL team, Calm down ur coaching the Cincinnati Bengals…Things are alil different over there.

5. tjacks7 says: Jun 25, 2011 10:45 AM

I’m absolutely kind of surprised he’s not an English teacher.

6. snccoach says: Jun 25, 2011 10:52 AM

“Now this guy has ‘rare’ talent”-Jon Gruden

7. writtenbyross says: Jun 25, 2011 10:53 AM

I “absolutely kind of” think he’s going to fail, not necessarily because he’s a good or bad coordinator but because you can’t succeed in that organization. Either way it should be “absolutely kind of” fun to watch.

8. tombrookshire says: Jun 25, 2011 10:54 AM

9. samoanjungle says: Jun 25, 2011 10:55 AM

I think other coordinators were too expensive or unwilling. This looks like a hire-by-default.

10. dempsey63 says: Jun 25, 2011 11:12 AM

“If they can’t, Lewis eventually could go. And Gruden likely would end up going, too.”

And then Jon Gruden will come in as the head coach and Jay will unpack the travel bags he stashed beneath his office cot.

11. 1buckeye76 says: Jun 25, 2011 11:18 AM

If Marvin goes, it’s not an absolute that Jay would go too. If he does well, he could be in consideration for the head coaching position, or could just stay on as OC. Bratkowski was a carryover when Marvin got the HC job in 2003.

12. voyager6 says: Jun 25, 2011 11:49 AM

———————————————-

I am sure Dave Shula thought the same thing. It is a pity that the owner does not learn from his prior mistakes, choosing to repeat them over and over again.

Brown will ensure that Gruden never has a complete offensive squad, capable of succeeding. Last year, he went without a full back until the last couple of games… and guess what, once they got a full back, they could run the ball!

This year, it will be the lack of a complete offensive line.

13. hobartbaker says: Jun 25, 2011 11:52 AM

Jay put in a job application for an opening on the Bengals training staff. Somehow his resume was put in the wrong mail slot when it arrived at the office.

14. krow101 says: Jun 25, 2011 11:58 AM

It must be great to have famous relatives.

15. dabears2485 says: Jun 25, 2011 12:10 PM

I still don’t get why Jon Gruden is loved, and now, as a by-product, Jay. The guy was ok in Oakland, inherited a stellar defense in Tampa that Tony Dungy had built. He won a Super Bowl with someone else’s roster while someone else took his old roster there, as well. Then he sputtered downhill for years before Tampa wised up and replaced him with some guy named Raheem Morris (who is turning that franchise around, one step at a time).

Jon is supremely overrated, and Jay will be as well. Good or bad, Jay will get more credit than he deserves because Chucky has already established the media love needed to be in the spotlight for years to come.

16. lovesportsandsurfing says: Jun 25, 2011 12:18 PM

Im absolutely positive if you had a different last name you wouldnt be a ball boy at any level in football. I only hope Ocho stays with the Bengals now…whats the over/under he tells Jay he is no Jon every day?…Vegas has the number at 500…Im taking the over.

17. Deb says: Jun 25, 2011 12:28 PM

Cincy fans must be thrilled to wave good-bye to Bratkowski. Gruden is a nice get for them. It’s just unfortunate that he’s starting out in this situation … with short prep time coming off the lockout and all this uncertainty at QB. The second free agency opens, Brown should let Gruden and Marv deal Palmer and bring in a vet who wants to be there and can help usher in Gruden’s offense for their young QB talent. But Brown letting his coaches do what’s best for the team is probably a pipe dream.

18. rajbais says: Jun 25, 2011 12:42 PM

Gee, no wonder why Carson wants to leave!!!

Watch, if the offense struggles under Gruden the media will blame T.O. and not admit they it was wrong when they OVERCELEBRATED Carson’s 4 touchdown game against the half-assing Chargers and zero TD and zero INT game against the lowly Browns!!!

19. lennydpocketqb says: Jun 25, 2011 12:45 PM

Issue with the Bengals is the ownership. So if it’s rotten at the top how do you expect any sort of success?

20. wuznotsobad says: Jun 25, 2011 12:47 PM

I can’t vote in your poll on whether Carson plays because it’s missing a clear option, and certainly the only one I would click on:

Will Carson Palmer play for the Bengals again?

Too early to tell.
    Don’t give a crap.

21. yankees2009 says: Jun 25, 2011 1:44 PM

wuznotsobad says: Jun 25, 2011 12:47 PM

Will Carson Palmer play for the Bengals again?

Too early to tell.
    Don’t give a crap.

———————-

If you don’t give a crap then don’t comment/answer the poll

22. wannabeqb says: Jun 25, 2011 1:49 PM

If they had said they will trade him once they are allowed to, no-one would be talking about it any more, but because the Bengals are such a badly run organization and Brown is so stubborn, this will drag on and on. The upshot will be starting a rookie QB and a possible last in division season.

How the remaining Browns (and any other cheap damaged goods Brown signs post lockout) are supposed to produce a successful season is beyond me.

23. grantgoodman93 says: Jun 25, 2011 3:02 PM

it wont help him get a head coach job. who would put that they were employed by the Bengals on their resume?

24. drfever73 says: Jun 25, 2011 4:10 PM

I think had another team hired him the media would be saying how long over due his shot in the NFL has been. GO wiki his name and see how successful he has been at every where he has been at different levels as a player and coach. I don’t think the Bengals will be Jay’s undoing, but it could be the Bengals will be Jay’s undoing……

25. drfever73 says: Jun 25, 2011 6:20 PM

I meant to say that I don’t think Jay would be the Bengals undoing, where’s the edit feature? lol

anyway, Jay is no Dave Shula.

26. MichaelEdits says: Jun 25, 2011 10:02 PM

Jay Gruden might wind up sleeping on Jim Zorn’s couch

27. laxer37 says: Jun 26, 2011 12:17 AM

Rookie offensive coordinator, rookie QB, rookie #2WR, second year TE, 3rd year #1 WR.

Have fun with that.

28. bonniebengal says: Jun 26, 2011 12:50 AM

Quote: Tombrookshire says:
    Jun 25, 2011 10:54 AM
    Not surprising at all if you ask me. He was a head coach in two leagues and helped out Jon in Tampa in his off season. He has a great pedigree and will be an NFL coach someday. Maybe sooner rather than later, right there in Cincy. Similar to the Harbaugh brothers.”

I agree with this. He’s been a head coach/gm in the UFL. He is very knowledgeable, and he’s a giant leap up from Bob Bratkowski. This is a good pick.

29. londonbengal says: Jun 26, 2011 3:32 AM

No one knows whether Jay Gruden will be a hit or a miss as the new OC in Cincy.

The one thing I do predict is that he will be unpredictable.

If me; as a fan watching TV; can predict what Bratkowski play is coming next, I’m damn sure Baltimore and Pittsburgh know whats coming.

30. pftequalsgreatjournalism says: Jun 26, 2011 4:59 AM

Join the club Jay – we have jackets…

31. pftequalsgreatjournalism says: Jun 26, 2011 5:05 AM

drfever73 says:

“GO wiki his name and see how successful he has been at every where he has been at different levels as a player and coach.”

————————————————

I am pretty impressed by all those Arena Bowl Titles…

Child please…