Ponder wrapping up his lockout workouts this week

Vikings Draft Football Getty Images

One of the biggest surprises in the first round of the 2011 draft came when the Vikings selected Florida State quarterback Christian Ponder with the 12th overall selection.  With coach Leslie Frazier hoping to get Ponder ready to be the starter in Week One and with Ponder having no ability to work with Frazier or any of the other coaches while the lockout lingers, Ponder has been on his own, working out at the IMG facility in Florida, with former NFL quarterback Chris Weinke.

Ponder recently told Paul Allen and Paul Charchian of KFAN that the first-rounder will be wrapping up the sessions soon and making his way to Minnesota, in the hopes the lockout will be ending.

“I’m finishing up IMG [training] at the end of next week,” Ponder said.  “They have a [rookie] symposium down here at IMG next week.  That’s Tuesday and Wednesday, and I have to do some things for Gatorade down here [in Florida] on Thursday.  I’m going to a family reunion just north of Nashville for a couple of days for the weekend of the 4th [of July] and then I have to go to Peyton Manning’s camp in Louisiana on the 7th and the 8th.  After that, when I’m done being busy, I’m going to head up to Minnesota and find a place to live and kind of get settled.  Hopefully, this lockout will be done and we’ll get started.”

When the lockout ends, the Vikings are expected to sign a veteran quarterback.  Ponder understands that, but he also plans to compete to be the starter when the season begins.

“Obviously, I think everyone in my position would love to start Week One,” Ponder said.  “It’s the competitor in me and something I’ve always dreamed of was starting in the NFL and I want to do it ASAP.  But obviously there are some reasons behind bringing a guy in and obviously there’s some definite pros to it.  If they still bring in a guy it’s going to be someone who knows what he’s doing. It will give me a lot to learn from and help me out.  But at the same time, I want to definitely start Week One.  We’ll see what happens and whatever happens I’ll be completely fine with it.  I think the coaches are going to make the best decision for me personally.”

We’re not so sure about that.  The coaches will be making the best decision for the team, in the hopes of competing in a suddenly strong NFC North.  If that means parking Ponder on the bench for a year, so be it.  If it means Ponder starting, so be it.  With plenty of veteran quarterbacks available, either via free agency or trade, once the lockout ends, the Vikings could go in a lot of different directions.  The overriding goal will be to maximize wins and minimize losses in 2011.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
19 Responses to “Ponder wrapping up his lockout workouts this week”
  1. jebdamone says: Jun 26, 2011 12:05 AM

kid appears to be doing all the right things. lets hope his game can back up his work ethic. if the oline can do a better job, he should have all the tools to be successful with AD, Shaincoe, percy, rudolph and hopefully sid.
    would have been nice if any of them other than shank would have gotten down there. be nice to hear what he had to say about the kid after working with him. im not that worried about getting a veteran, i want to see this kid play.

2. canadianvikingfaniii says: Jun 26, 2011 12:25 AM

This guy so far has shown me that he is willing to step up to the plate and be a leader and strive to be a franchise QB. I really am impressed with the fact he is trying to get the team together, unfortunately the rest of the team thinks they are above coming out. You see every other team putting together practices with great turnouts and then I look at the Vikings and it is a select few, mainly all of them rookies… I thought maybe some of the Veterans (outside Shancoe) could have came out… I guess that is wishful thinking.

3. Soulman45 says: Jun 26, 2011 12:36 AM

I can hardly wait till “The Great Detroit Lions” get a chance at him it will be just another 10 sack game for
    “The Great Detroit Lions”

4. brownsfrown says: Jun 26, 2011 2:19 AM

I hear Favre is still longig for some spotlight.

Maybe his Johnson pics will catapult (sorry for the pun) him into the spotlight for a Minnesota Congressional seat.

Where else could the organiztional cluelessness of the Vikings translate to meaningful employment?

5. maumontav5 says: Jun 26, 2011 3:50 AM

Never commented before but as soon as I read that sentence I knew it was going to be misinterpreted .
    ¨I think the coaches are going to make the best decision for me personally.”
    I’m sure he was referring to his development as an NFL QB. Which would translate to the team’s well being, as well as the Coaching staff’s and most importantly the FO’s (Whose future is riding on him being successful).
    It did came out awkward. (thats what she said)

6. tumsman2 says: Jun 26, 2011 7:05 AM

Mistake getting Ponder. I’m still upset they wasted a 1st round pick on him. he’s not the future of the team. wasted enough time on TJ, not we gotta deal with this guy.

7. MichaelEdits says: Jun 26, 2011 7:35 AM

Weinke appears to be getting more work now than he did as an NFL QB. But wait, who’s this Ponder guy? I thought Tarvaris Jackson was the face of the Vikings. (What, you didn’t think I’d name BF, did you? Too easy.)

8. knucklehead93 says: Jun 26, 2011 9:53 AM

“The Great Detroit Lions????” Ha!

It always makes me laugh when a Lion fan starts running his mouth. Nice try. You’re still closer to another 0-16 season than you are at a playoff game.

9. johnsticle says: Jun 26, 2011 10:19 AM

I can’t wait to see Ponder take a snap in the purple and gold. I’m cautiously optimistic but I’m very excited. And I’m glad to see how mature he is about bringing in a veteran. This kid is all grown up, I believe he has a shot at being starter… as long as that arm holds up.

10. seals1 says: Jun 26, 2011 11:06 AM

I can appreciate the fact Webb and Ponder are showing they care and that is more than we have seen from QB in a long time.

Ponder may be a future leader of the Vikings but he needs to earn that in time. The Viking current team leaders needed to drive off season workouts not Ponder.

It’s not good to be a Viking fan these days with all this BS but Ponder looks to be real. Good Draft Pick!

11. meatloaf025 says: Jun 26, 2011 11:55 AM

The great Detroit Lions will be doomed after the first half of the first game, when they realize the baggage coming with their history will still be there.

12. minnysoda says: Jun 26, 2011 12:49 PM

Chris Weinke was his training partner what great news. Clean up the trophy case here comes the Lombardi

13. supersuckers3 says: Jun 26, 2011 1:02 PM

Pondering Ponder with the 12th pick is a bad mistake. Actually selecting this idiot is fatal. For once the Viking management “team” did the right thing and went the route of drafting and developing instead of realizing they stink at the draft and bringing in journeymen free agents for the teams most important position. But Ponder??? He plays scared, is inaccurate, and is a FSU QB. The odds are stacked against him for being a guy that can lead a team to a title. I mean, why do you even Ponder passing?? You can take a knee and kick a 56 yard field goal. THIS ISN’T DETROIT MAN THIS IS FOR THE SUPERBOWL!!!!! Paul Allen was right. This isn’t Detroit. Minnesota has alot of work to do to get to be as good as Detroit at this point. They went all in and lost..

14. alberthaynesworth says: Jun 26, 2011 2:01 PM

Sucked in college and will suck as a pro. Biggest reach of the first round. Queens are cursed and he will crumble like the roof of that pathetic dump you call a stadium.

15. mediasloppy says: Jun 26, 2011 5:02 PM

{ Minnesota has alot of work to do to get to be as good as Detroit at this point. They went all in and lost.}
    —–
    Detroit ripping on a team for draft picks…

16. Soulman45 says: Jun 26, 2011 11:24 PM

@meatloaf025
    You must know that will be the first 10 sack game for
    “THE GREAT DETROIT LIONS”
    Super Bowl here we come.

17. thephantomstranger says: Jun 27, 2011 12:11 AM

I can’t wait to see this guy play. I don’t mind taking our lumps with him starting as a rookie if it will hasten his development. Of course, I trust Leslie Frazier to make the right decisions in developing Ponder.

18. brewdogg says: Jun 27, 2011 2:12 AM

supersuckers3 says: Jun 26, 2011 1:02 PM

“He plays scared”

As exemplified by his habit of dropping a shoulder on would-be tacklers, and that little shoulder separation on a tackle that ended a season that saw a nearly 70% comp% and over 8 ypa…

“is inaccurate”

See above, and take note that his career comp% (despite being affected by lingering elbow issues as a senior) was higher than Rodgers’ at Cal…

“and is a FSU QB”

You do realize that the last FSU QB the Vikings drafted has a SB ring, right?

Yup, I can see how the odds are stacked against you being proven right for a change.

19. supersuckers3 says: Jun 27, 2011 9:11 PM

brewdogg says:
    Jun 27, 2011 2:12 AM
    supersuckers3 says: Jun 26, 2011 1:02 PM

“He plays scared”

“is inaccurate”

“and is a FSU QB”

You do realize that the last FSU QB the Vikings drafted has a SB ring, right?

——–

Clown,

There is no validity in any of your points. Brad Johnson stunk and won in Tampa Bay because of their incredible defense and to compare Ponder’s college completion percentage to a Super Bowl MVP World Champion’s is Super Models and Trannies. You see son, Rodgers has the best QB guru in the game. Ponder has Bill Musgrave. Ponder does initiate contact like an idiot. I agree with that. But its his fight or flight instinct kicking in. He loses the ability to play within his simple college offense and becomes scared. Scared players and people have tons of adrenaline and little brains in that type of moment. I base his inaccuracy upon his test results. Not his college BS football games.