Peyton Hillis: Winning a Super Bowl the only goal

EA Sports Madden NFL 12 Photo Shoot Getty Images

The Cleveland Browns have gone a combined 14-34 in the last three years. They’ve been to the playoffs once since returning to the NFL as an expansion team in 1999, and they haven’t won a playoff game since coach Bill Belichick led the previous incarnation of the franchise to an AFC wild card victory over the New England Patriots on New Year’s Day 1995. Just getting to .500 would be progress.

But Browns running back Peyton Hillis wants a lot more than just getting to .500.

I’m not going to be happy until Cleveland wins a Super Bowl,” Hillis told the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “Those individual goals come and go, but Super Bowls and the relationships you make with coaches, teammates and fans last forever.”

I can’t help but think that if Hillis isn’t going to be happy until Cleveland wins a Super Bowl, he isn’t going to be happy for a long time. But it’s clear that between Hillis’s comments and Colt McCoy insisting that no one will accept another 5-11 season, the Browns are a confident bunch.

We’ll just have to wait a few months to see whether their record matches their confidence.

Permalink 50 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
50 Responses to “Peyton Hillis: Winning a Super Bowl the only goal”
  1. Kyle MacNaughton says: Jun 26, 2011 9:45 AM

Would love to see them do well.

2. aequitas83 says: Jun 26, 2011 9:46 AM

Stories like these make me feel for players. They get asked stupid questions they have to answer. What do you expect them to say? “Yeah… we’re probably looking at another 5-11 season, maybe 7-9 with a couple lucky bounces.”

3. virusgvr says: Jun 26, 2011 9:49 AM

I guess this guy is going to be waiting quite a while, because with the Steelers and Ravens in that division, they are dominated from the get go.

Even if they happen to get lucky and get that 5th or 6th seed, they are going to get thumped like the Chiefs did this past Wild Card Weekend playoff game. Sorry.

Payton Hillis might be waiting for Rooney to die or Lewis to get brought up on another murder charge, or Flacko to hang up the cleats… No of these option sound very likely. Sorry Mr. Hills. There is alway room for you in Green Bay, we would love to have a great RB there!!!

4. bleedgreen says: Jun 26, 2011 9:49 AM

Good on him. I always hate it when people take the ‘Our goal is to win the Super Bowl’ or ‘This team should win 10 games’ as someone GUARANTEEING those things. He didn’t say “We ARE going to win the Super Bowl’, he said ‘Our GOAL is to win the Super Bowl.’ Doesn’t mean it will happen, but if you’re goal every year isn’t to win the Super Bowl, then why bother showing up? Lookin at your Albert Haynesworth.

5. bubbabart says: Jun 26, 2011 9:51 AM

Michael, that’s because you can’t see past the end of your nose…Cleveland is getting ready to roll. Hillis will see the Browns win the SB…and he’ll lead the charge. Write it down!

6. arrogantathlete says: Jun 26, 2011 9:51 AM

Hahahaha

7. paulbrownsrevenge says: Jun 26, 2011 9:51 AM

atta boy!!! Go Browns!!! Albino Rhino+ Marecic = carnage. can’t wait to watch this young team start to take control of this division.

8. arrogantathlete says: Jun 26, 2011 9:53 AM

You heard it here first, this guy will get busted for steroids or something before the year is over.

9. watermelon1 says: Jun 26, 2011 9:54 AM

The good news for Peyton Hillis and the Browns is… The Steelers and Ravens are a lot closer to falling off than they are to “dominating” the division for the next 5 years. Both defenses are old, and both offenses are HIGHLY suspect. Then the Bengals… well, they’re the Bengals.

The Browns still have plenty of question marks… but their chances the next 5 years look a whole lot better than most people probably think. And they certainly look better than they did the last 5 years with people like Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn. Normally high QB draft picks set your franchise back a long time. I’m surprised how quickly the Browns rebounded from the Quinn trainwreck.

10. abninf says: Jun 26, 2011 10:21 AM

McCoy has brought a winning mentality to the team that’s starting to spread. So they went 5-11. Aikman won one game his first season. Couple more years and the Browns could be up there as long as they don’t have a coaching carousel.

11. pftequalsgreatjournalism says: Jun 26, 2011 10:22 AM

bubbabart says:

————————

Positive attitude there bubba which is admirable if not altogether realistic…

Can I be your bookie?

12. stairwayto7 says: Jun 26, 2011 10:25 AM

Cleveland will not win a championship in anythimg! THE MISTAKE BY THE LAKE!!

13. wryly1 says: Jun 26, 2011 10:27 AM

Steeler and Ravens are still loaded, but aging. The obstacle for the Browns, however, is that they are just beginnning to load up on some talent, while the Pittsburgh and Baltimore organizations have shown the ability to re-load and remain in the top tier of AFC teams year after year.

14. Ricardo Grande says: Jun 26, 2011 10:30 AM

“I can’t help but think that if Hillis isn’t going to be happy until Cleveland wins a Super Bowl, he isn’t going to be happy for a long time.”
    ——————

Fortunately, what you ‘think’ doesn’t matter.

15. alberthaynesworth says: Jun 26, 2011 10:34 AM

The cleveland brown stains and super bowl shouldnt be mentioned in the same sentence. Hillis will break his leg in training camp and colt mctoy will suck just like last year. Cellar dweller to their core. Their from Cleveland lol. The arm pit of America.

16. kegowhisky says: Jun 26, 2011 10:39 AM

After re-reading the quote, I think I like what Hillis said. Not guaranteeing anything, but seeing it as a goal and won’t be happy until they get there.

Compare that with Rex Ryan – a Google search for “Rex Ryan guarantees Jets Superbowl Win” returned 168,000 hits in less than a tenth of a second!

17. seehoxrun says: Jun 26, 2011 10:48 AM

Stranger things have happened!

18. polegojim says: Jun 26, 2011 10:58 AM

It will take some serious maturing from Colt, but they’ll give Pitt a run for their money…and I like Pittsburg.

Harbaugh is the smartest coach the Ravens have had – I see them leaping over Pittsburg in 2011.

1) Ravens
    2) Browns
    3) Steelers

19. eaglesfootballfan says: Jun 26, 2011 11:03 AM

Well the Cleveland Browns have to go to the Playoffs First.

20. snakeman40 says: Jun 26, 2011 11:37 AM

stairwayto7 says:
    Jun 26, 2011 10:25 AM
    “Cleveland will not win a championship in anythimg! THE MISTAKE BY THE LAKE!!”

Stairway, that is a GREAT line! I have never heard that before…..”mistake by the lake”! My god, it even rhymes! That’s so complex, so insightful, so intelligent, and so original!!! You are the man!

Actually, you are a putz!

21. bubbabart says: Jun 26, 2011 11:38 AM

pft=…..LOL, I’m 62…I’ve been a Browns fan forever….I have to optimistic, time is running out…heeeeeeeee!

22. abninf says: Jun 26, 2011 11:51 AM

McCoy and Hillis have brought a winning mentality to the team. So they went 5-11. Aikman and Emmitt went 7-9 in 1990, but they knew they would be champions. Couple more years and the Browns could be up there as long as they don’t the usual modern day coaching carousel that has infected the league. I’ll be mildly surprised if they don’t make the postseason this year.

23. ginojohn says: Jun 26, 2011 12:00 PM

cleveland has been on the 2 year plan for the last 50 years! blah, blah, blah!

24. schmitty2 says: Jun 26, 2011 12:49 PM

virusgvr says:
    Jun 26, 2011 9:49 AM

Hey NFL guru..care to explain who Payton Hillis, Flacko and Mr Hill’s are?

25. ezmoover says: Jun 26, 2011 12:55 PM

On any given day in the town of Conway, Ark., Browns running back Peyton Hillis can be seen trudging through his neighborhood with a half-ton truck harnessed to his chest.

On lighter training days, he’ll lug a small car or all-terrain vehicle around the block.

“I’ve been doing it since my junior year in high school.”

Sincerely,

The Albino Rhino (I will truck you!)

26. ineptguy6 says: Jun 26, 2011 1:03 PM

I like McCoy and Hillis, and I admire Hillis’ comments, but some of the posts left here are baffling. The Browns are nowhere near the playoffs, let alone a SB. Hillis had great success last year, and he will be decent for years to come, however much of that success came from teams being unfamiliar with how to deal with him. The first time he faced the Ravens and Bengals he ran for 144 and 102 respectively. The second time he ran for 35 and 59. He only averaged 27 against the Steelers. You aren’t going to see him going for anywhere near 100 yards against teams in the division. Maybe when he plays other teams that don’t know how to deal with a bruising back, but the AFCN has it figured out. This is somewhat like a few years ago when the Wildcat was going to take over. That didn’t really pan out either.

27. virusgvr says: Jun 26, 2011 1:05 PM

@ polegojim: 1) Ravens
    2) Browns
    3) Steelers.

Can I have some of your medication? I think you forgot to take your wacky pills before you responded to this!!! What a Shmo!!!

28. jaypace says: Jun 26, 2011 1:17 PM

People please stop comparing the browns to the best team of the 90′s. Finish .500 first, then make the playoffs. I’m all for optimism but let’s calm down.

29. ppdoc13 says: Jun 26, 2011 1:26 PM

I guess Peyton is doomed to be an unhappy man. He is still playing for one of the worst teams in the league. The distance between the Browns and the Ravens/Steelers is cavernous. It starts at QB. Let’s see Colt McCoy walk the walk. He sure talks a lot for a guy that has done bupkis in the NFL. Let’s see him throw a 20 yard out in December in Cleveland with the wind coming off the lake with his noodle arm. Then he can start talking. Until then, he is just like every other Cleveland fan that books their flight to the Superbowl based on “the best draft”, “the best offseason,” etc. It moves on to their lack of playmakers on offense and their pedestrian defense.

Not a low blow. Just the facts. And while I am sure the Browns fans will flame me for it, in their heart of hearts they know what I said is the truth.

30. therevdewitt says: Jun 26, 2011 1:34 PM

ANYway, I hasten to point out that past losses under various different FOs, head coaches and players does not translate to future losses with different players, a new FO and a new HC. So I’m at a loss as to what pointing to 3 lost years and 1 lost decade has to do with where this team is going in the future.

That being said, stories like this and the stories about Colt and Joe Haden coming out this past week are exactly what I love about the attitude these guys are bringing to the team. It’s refreshing to hear and see a winning attitude and I have no doubt that it will translate into actual winning. Ever since the expansion era began there’s been this culture of losing and negativity that has infected the Browns franchise. Obviously the trolls on these boards want to perpetuate that, but it’s not going to work anymore. That negative culture was never the case before the move, when the Browns remained consistently competitive decade after decade since the teams inception.

I think with guys with attitudes like Hillis, Haden and McCoy, and the FO mindsets of Holmgren, Heckert and Shurmur, the Browns are going to eviscerate that negativity once and for all and the team, as it continues to build, will become a perennial contender once again.

31. fonetiklee says: Jun 26, 2011 1:39 PM

I would like to see the Browns do well as much as the next guy, but they are really screwed being stuck in the same division as the Ravens and Steelers.

32. ramofsteel says: Jun 26, 2011 1:41 PM

Well maybe not this year, but the 2012 season they could be goin for the playoffs w/ all the picks they got from ATL. Gonna be interested in how Shrumer does this season after how he was criticized in STL. I think CLE goes 8-8 or so this year.

33. scott8nj says: Jun 26, 2011 1:43 PM

Winning a Superbowl should be every player’s goal. There’s nothing wrong with Hillis saying that. NOBODY picked the Rams to be a 500 team when they won the SB a few years back. EVERYBODY laughed at George Foreman when he made his comeback. I don’t think Cleveland will make the playoffs either, but if I was a fan of the team I sure would want the players to expect good things to happen and work their asses off to make it happen. Good luck Mr. Hillis, I hope you make a lot of people eat their words.

34. bubbabart says: Jun 26, 2011 1:55 PM

ginojohn…..50 years?? 50 years ago they had just finished up 10 straight years of playing in the Championship game….WTF are babbling about?

35. holeinone09 says: Jun 26, 2011 2:30 PM

@polegojim says:
    Jun 26, 2011 10:58 AM

* * * * * * *

poleojim, you say you like Pittsburgh, but you can’t even spell it correctly. While the Browns have some good young players, IMHO they won’t be “leaping” over the Steelers this year or anytime soon. I for one love our division rivalries and frankly wish the Browns would get better so the games would start approach the same level of excitement as the Steelers/Ravens games, which are quite possibly the best the league has to offer. The old Steelers/Browns rivalries were excellent before the old Browns left town for Baltimore.

GO STEELERS!!

36. yajas says: Jun 26, 2011 2:37 PM

therevdewitt says: “…and the stories about Colt and Joe Haden coming out this past week…”

Ugh oh. I missed that article. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

37. geniusesq says: Jun 26, 2011 2:47 PM

Aim high. Or be “high” when you aim.

38. trickbunny says: Jun 26, 2011 3:05 PM

arrogantathlete says:
    Jun 26, 2011 9:53 AM

—————————————————

Ah yes- another “You heard it here” post. Funny thing about those posts is that they’re wrong about 100% of the time because either…

A) I’ve heard it somewhere else 100 times before someone claims I’m “hearing it here first”…

B) They’re usually dead wrong.

Ha… This is the kind of post I love to clip and save, specifically so I can post it again at the end of the football season when the prediction *hasn’t* happened, thus making the poster look like the blowhard he/she is…

39. trickbunny says: Jun 26, 2011 3:10 PM

Why do people keep mentioning Flacco in this thread as an obstacle for Hillis? Flacco is the biggest choker on the planet. He’s a good QB- if what you admire in QBs is decent play during the regular season and then deer-in-the-headlights play when it counts.

40. moolah954 says: Jun 26, 2011 3:54 PM

Cleveland should go back to whining about Lebron

41. maumontav5 says: Jun 26, 2011 4:15 PM

Talking about Hillis brings back memories about Josh McDaniels and how bad a of a personnel decision maker he was. I don’t think it has been stressed enough ,compared to the likes of Matt Millen, he’s right there with him.
    Three first wasted first round picks in a single draft: Ayers, Alphonso Smith (out of the team) and Moreno (not guaranteed to start this season). And then to top it all of he sends Hillis to Cle in exchange of Brady Quinn lol just at the time Denver was struggling to run the ball (Lawrence Maroney).
    Point being: McDaniels epic failure as a hybrid GM needs to develop a cult following just as Matt Millen did asap.

42. brownsfrown says: Jun 26, 2011 4:15 PM

@ppdoc:

No flaming from me! You speak but the painful truth!

Until Cleveland gets an owner who cares, it will be more of the same. Holmgren is there to skim millions, then he will be off to retirement for him.

I doubt I will live long enough to see this team in the playoffs again!

43. dave1961 says: Jun 26, 2011 4:38 PM

Micahael David Smith is just another pathetic writer that thinks he defines Cleveland…We are use to your kind.

Peyton Hillis is the type of player that can get you to the Superbowl. There are players in Cleveland inside our locker room that want to shove the rock right up the butts of these arrogant writers.

44. tntitansfan10 says: Jun 26, 2011 5:01 PM

He will b waiting forever. Stay thirsty my friends

45. philtration says: Jun 26, 2011 6:59 PM

I have wanted the Browns to do well ever since Art Modell screwed the fans in Cleveland.

46. clevefan1 says: Jun 26, 2011 8:01 PM

This guy is rapidly becoming one of my favorite athletes of all time. But, I’m really worried that his all-out, punishing running style is going to shorten his career. You have to love it when he just runs people over though. He does need to come up with a new move besides that hurdle thing he does. It looks really cool when it works, but defenders are so used to it now that it usually ends up in a fumble.

47. pacificnw7722 says: Jun 26, 2011 9:38 PM

Not a Browns fan, however…. This team really NEEDS some STUD WR’s to take the pressure off Hillis and Hardesty.

If they can’t generate an adequate passing game, teams will stack the box and shut them down big time.

I hope the Browns don’t wear him out too soon.

48. brownsfrown says: Jun 26, 2011 9:54 PM

On second look, where was this picture of Hillis taken?

Doesn’t look like the gridiron, so it seems he just swiped a kids halloween pumpkin basket full of Milky Ways, and this was the gesture he gave when an angry parent confronted him.

The gloves are a dead giveaway!

49. laxer37 says: Jun 26, 2011 11:18 PM

In other words, as soon as his contract is up, Hillis will be taking his talents to south beach.

50. virusgvr says: Jun 27, 2011 2:13 AM

@Laxer….. Check out the later post, now Ronnie Brown is whining about a ring too!!!