Tom Martinez, Tom Brady’s mentor, given new hope

New England Patriots v Detroit Lions Getty Images

Two weeks ago we passed along word that Tom Martinez, the longtime personal quarterback coach and mentor to Tom Brady, had serious health problems and had been given a grave prognosis of just a month to live. But today we can pass along good news.

I’m feeling better and I’m optimistic after being almost completely certain that I was going to die,” Martinez told the San Francisco Chronicle.

Martinez says he has been given new hope after seeking a second opinion, getting an adjustment to his pacemaker and being told he’s a candidate for a kidney transplant and, if a suitable donor can be found, a heart transplant.

“Incredible, isn’t it?” Martinez said. “After my camp ends, I will go back down to UCLA for some internal tests, to see if I can handle surgery. They might try to do a double transplant if everything works.”

With smart doctors and a generous organ donor, Martinez may still have plenty of quarterback mentoring left in him.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
24 Responses to “Tom Martinez, Tom Brady’s mentor, given new hope”
  1. duanethomas says: Jun 26, 2011 10:48 AM

That’s great news.

2. seehoxrun says: Jun 26, 2011 10:57 AM

Tom brady should donate his!!!

3. citizenstrange says: Jun 26, 2011 10:58 AM

I went to my doctor and he told me I was fat.

I said “Hey, I want a second opinion.”

He said “OK, you’re ugly too.”

— The late, great, Rodney Dangerfield

4. balzosteel says: Jun 26, 2011 11:23 AM

That’s awesome news! It really puts into perspective how small our daily problems in life are when there are those needing vital organ transplants and given an hourglass to live by in the meantime. Hoping for the best, Mr. Martinez!

5. aigraiders says: Jun 26, 2011 11:26 AM

Wow, double transplant is a huge task. Lots of complication involved. Good luck to him.

6. cup1981 says: Jun 26, 2011 11:29 AM

All the best to Martinez! This is a glimmer of hope in an otherwise bleak outlook. I hope that this all ends up in a positive outcome and he lives a long and healthy life!

7. dagnon13 says: Jun 26, 2011 11:44 AM

Good news and all. But an ethical debate is necessary here. Should one or two organs be given to a man that, through normal course may have 10 years to live, or would a younger candidtebe more appropriate?

8. waitingguilty says: Jun 26, 2011 11:45 AM

A generous organ donor? Really?

Yeah, I’d say anyone willing to donate their heart and kidney is a little more than generous.

All joking aside, get well soon Martinez.

9. downsouth49er says: Jun 26, 2011 11:58 AM

God is good!! Keep the faith, and hopefully it will workout for him.

10. icewalker946 says: Jun 26, 2011 12:25 PM

waitingguilty says:
    Jun 26, 2011 11:45 AM
    A generous organ donor? Really?

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    I thought the same thing. We have 2 kidneys but only one heart…..can’t get by with no heart.

Get well, Mr. Martinez, as well as all that are not 100% today.

11. tombrookshire says: Jun 26, 2011 12:43 PM

Wow, that’s pretty exciting news. It’s always good to hear something positive. Good for him!

12. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Jun 26, 2011 1:07 PM

Technology is great. Hope this guy makes it out alright!

13. scott8nj says: Jun 26, 2011 1:29 PM

He now has hope. I hope the transplants work out for him and he gets at least 10 more years. None of us know how much time we have, so if there is something you want to do in life, no better time than the present.

14. fonetiklee says: Jun 26, 2011 1:38 PM

Surely a young child would be a better candidate for those organs than a 60 year old man?

15. Michael David Smith says: Jun 26, 2011 1:38 PM

It is an act of generosity to declare that you want your heart donated when you die. It is also an act of generosity to donate a loved one’s heart if you’re in the tragic situation of having to make that choice.

16. bradymancrush10 says: Jun 26, 2011 1:54 PM

Our prayers are with you sir…

17. stull60060 says: Jun 26, 2011 5:55 PM

I’m sorry but I can’t resist saying this. Hey, how come Martinez didn’t go to Cuba for a second opinion and treatment. After all Michael Moore says they have much better health care than the U.S.A. And it’s free!

18. mattmgrace says: Jun 26, 2011 7:02 PM

This is great news. He sounds like an amazing guy. On PFT all week there were numerous posts about AP not attending his own camp for a number of made up reasons.

Martinez states “After my camp ends…” this guy is on his death bed and takes time away from his family to host a camp, and stays at the camp instead of rushing to get treatment.

Hopefully those attending his camp learn more about how to act than how to play.

19. msclemons67 says: Jun 26, 2011 7:26 PM

The best thing would be if Bill Belichick told Martinez the secret to living without a heart.

20. kelvinmchale says: Jun 26, 2011 7:49 PM

Everything Brady touches turns to gold!

21. ratbastardshanahandjob says: Jun 26, 2011 8:11 PM

Maby Martinez can see the Wizard about a heart. It worked for the Tin-Man…….Jokeing aside that’s good news. Hope he gets the organs he needs soon…..

22. 8man says: Jun 26, 2011 8:32 PM

@citizenstrange:
    I’m still laughing.

@msclemons67:
    You are a dick. D-I-C-K. Dick!

Life is precious. Savor every day.

23. thetooloftools says: Jun 26, 2011 11:28 PM

May God continue to keep you in good graces.
    The prayers are working.
    All my best.

24. CKL says: Jun 27, 2011 12:52 AM

Great news, I am so glad to read this! :D

To the people who feel a kid “deserves” an organ before an older adult, AFAIK, the waiting list is a true and unbiased list: not preferential, first come first served. How would it be fair to have it any other way? I mean Martinez would still think he had days to live and no hope if he didn’t get another opinion. Who says the kid wouldn’t get the organ and then get hit by a bus and die whereas the 50-60 ish person could go on to live another 15-20 more good years. You just don’t KNOW unless you have a viable crystal ball which is why first come first served is the only fair way to do it, IMO.