Chad Jones, able to jog again, eyes 2012 return

C. Jones AP

Giants 2010 third-round pick Chad Jones didn’t think about the one-year anniversary of the accident that almost took his leg.  He was too busy speaking at a football camp and focusing on his rehab.

Jones has come a long way in his recovery.  As Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPNNewYork.com describes, it has been a long and painful journey that has more struggles ahead.

“It took me six months just to basically walk,” Jones said. “It took me 30 minutes to take three steps when I first started rehab in the hospital. It was excruciating pain just even standing up and letting that blood flow again through my leg.”

Jones is now able to run on a treadmill at 12 mph for 30-60 seconds, although he has to wear a boot.  There have been frustrating parts of his rehab, with Jones occasionally getting depressed or burnt out for what he perceives as slow progress.  His girlfriend spoke of crying with Jones when they first unpacked his bloody clothes from the accident; he lost 25 pints of blood that day.

After 12 surgeries on his leg, Jones must undergo more.  Still, his doctor believes he’ll be able to train to play football again next offseason. Jones says he may try to move to linebacker from his usual safety position.

“It gives me motivation just to fight back because I almost passed away in the car and I’m just thankful for being alive for another year,” Jones said. “I’ve been through many obstacles in my life and I have conquered all of them. And I am not going to treat this any differently.”

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
22 Responses to “Chad Jones, able to jog again, eyes 2012 return”
  1. berniemadoffsides says: Jun 27, 2011 9:26 AM

I hope he comes back 100% – that would be incredible. Either way, I’m rooting like hell for him.

2. geeeeemen says: Jun 27, 2011 9:40 AM

We are pulling for you, Chad. Football or not, just get healthy.

3. Southpaw says: Jun 27, 2011 9:41 AM

Losing 25 pints of blood is pretty impressive considering that adults average 10-14 in their body

4. giantsfan82 says: Jun 27, 2011 9:41 AM

Good to hear Chad. I am glad you’re progressing well. Hopefully you can return to the field and continue to be an asset to the New York Giants organization.

5. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Jun 27, 2011 9:49 AM

Best of luck to you from this Cowboys fan!

6. usmutts says: Jun 27, 2011 9:56 AM

By all accounts this young man is first class. When he reaches his maximum recovery, whatever it may be, perhaps he should try reviving his baseball career. He’s a heckuva pitcher.

7. imongo says: Jun 27, 2011 10:01 AM

Whatever…why is this clown so special? We had 2 soldiers killed in Iraq over the weekend. Maybe Chad Jones will learn how to act like an adult and drive responsibly.

8. alberthaynesworth says: Jun 27, 2011 10:02 AM

Pretty impressive if this kid makes it back and plays even one down in the NFL. Hell almost as impressive as my record down at buffalo bobs for most wings eaten in 5 minutes.

9. thegonz13 says: Jun 27, 2011 10:13 AM

A true inspiration and a story of courage and determination in a league that has too many felons and prima donnas.

I think I speak for everyone when I say we’re all pulling for this guy.

10. jw731 says: Jun 27, 2011 10:16 AM

he survived because he had twice the amount of blood a normal adult human has?………25 pints?

11. joegibbsisking says: Jun 27, 2011 10:18 AM

@imongo

This guy survived an accident that shouldve killed him, and then still has aspirations to continue his football career. That makes him special.

12. imongo says: Jun 27, 2011 10:25 AM

@joegibbsisking

Many, many more men are injured or killed in the defense of their country every day… and remain obscure. Chad Jones did this to himself driving like a maniac down a crowded street. I repeat, SO WHAT!

13. joegibbsisking says: Jun 27, 2011 10:30 AM

@imongo

So because many men overseas are killed in the defense of their country everyday and remain obscure means that Chad Jones isn’t special? I don’t get your point. You’re talking apples and oranges friend. One has nothing to do with another.

14. coachknights says: Jun 27, 2011 10:49 AM

@imongo

You don’t know how fast he was going, not even the cops know that. And he wasn’t under the influence of any drug or alcohol.

Why is it okay to care for one human being and not another? Have a heart, man.

15. tjacks7 says: Jun 27, 2011 10:49 AM

BOL, I hope he has a full recovery.

It also puts into perspective the heart of this guy doing everything he can to play again and guys like Kenny Britt and Aquib Talib who have full healthy bodies and are too dumb to realize what they have.

16. philwauke says: Jun 27, 2011 10:53 AM

Please tell me some of you aren’t that dumb? He lost 25 pints of blood because he was losing it just as fast as it was being transfused.

17. bigbeefyd says: Jun 27, 2011 11:04 AM

jw731 says:
    Jun 27, 2011 10:16 AM
    *************************************

REALLY? Transfusions….idiot.

18. imongo says: Jun 27, 2011 11:14 AM

My point is this…we elevate those who appear on our radar for no apparent reason except for their celebrity. I do not diminish his recovery or heart in the least.

19. marinephinfan says: Jun 27, 2011 11:17 AM

Southpaw says:
    Jun 27, 2011 9:41 AM

——————————————–

jw731 says:
    Jun 27, 2011 10:16 AM

——————————————

What a couple of dolts. He lost 25 pints because even after they transfused him he kept losing blood. Jeez…stick to the garbage collection and leave the practice of medicine to the Doctors.

20. ctgiant says: Jun 27, 2011 12:26 PM

IF ANYONE WATCHED HIS REHAB LIKE I HAVE, RIGHT FROM THE BEGINNING, YOU BETTER NOT WRITE THIS KID OFF, HE INDEED IS SOMETHING SPECIAL, AN INSPIRATION; A MOTIVATED TRUE TO HIMSELF KID, WHO BELIEVES IN HIMSELF.
    IF THERE IS A WAY TO PLAY FOOTBALL, THIS KID WILL FIND IT, USE IT, AND WILL BE IN THE GIANTS CAMP NEXT YEAR!
    WHO WILL THROW THE FIRST STONE?

21. lamepftposter says: Jun 27, 2011 12:50 PM

i am a horrible troll, but i’m going to break the mold to say that i’m rooting for this guy and wish him nothing but the best. very inspirational story.

22. Soulman45 says: Jun 27, 2011 5:18 PM

Keep working hard and good thing will happen.

Good luck and may god be with you.