DeMarcus Ware: “I should have been No. 1″

Kevin Kolb, DeMarcus Ware AP

We think we’ve figured out who the top ten players in NFL Network’s list will be.   Florio said how he would rank them, after pointing out his choice for No. 1 (Aaron Rodgers) was no longer an option.

Cowboys pass rusher DeMarcus Ware has another pick for No. 1: DeMarcus Ware.

“You know, I think I should be the number one guy on the list. But at the end of the day, people are going to vote you where they think you should be,” Ware said Sunday night with a smile on NFL Network’s discussion show after it was revealed he finished No. 12 on the list.

Ware’s argument is a strong one.  He has more sacks than any player since 2005.  (We know the list is supposed to be mostly on 2010, but look at the top 10. Career accomplishments made a big difference.)

I’d rank Ware clearly ahead of three of players in the top 10: Ray Lewis, Julius Peppers, and Ed Reed.  You could make an argument Ware should be ahead of Troy Polamalu, Andre Johnson, and Adrian Peterson.

My argument: If a draft was held for just the 2011 season, where would Ware get taken compared to the players above? My guess is he’d be first on a lot of boards.

Permalink 63 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
63 Responses to “DeMarcus Ware: “I should have been No. 1″”
  1. baronvonmonocle says: Jun 27, 2011 10:33 AM

Ware probably does believe that but he was speaking tongue in cheek. There’s nothing wrong with him thinking that. Far lesser players think they’re the best.

Dukes and Faulk were really baiting him throughout the program, though.

2. tikyle says: Jun 27, 2011 10:34 AM

Picked 1st in a draft today? In a QB league? I seriously doubt it.

Teams would pick Rodgers, Rothlis, Rivers and Ryan all over Ware. Not to mention Manning, Brady, Brees and even Vick.

3. goawayeverybody says: Jun 27, 2011 10:34 AM

Everyone thinks they should be number one. But I guess Ware as as good a case as any.

4. jw731 says: Jun 27, 2011 10:36 AM

The list is pointless anyway, it’s like a bunch of guys sitting around saying……..This is my favorite car……..Nobody is going to agree…….

5. powderedme says: Jun 27, 2011 10:37 AM

he was clearly kidding

6. medtxpack says: Jun 27, 2011 10:41 AM

maybe if you were on a better team.
    luckily you got a new DC, who can make you no 1….

7. coachknights says: Jun 27, 2011 10:41 AM

Anyone else think this list is as stupid as any?

8. flapjackdaddy says: Jun 27, 2011 10:42 AM

On a five-win Cowboy team huh?

9. alphaq2 says: Jun 27, 2011 10:44 AM

Of course he said that. Does a prize fighter ever say, I’ll probably get KO’d in the first?

10. tjacks7 says: Jun 27, 2011 10:45 AM

11. beedubyatoo says: Jun 27, 2011 10:46 AM

Many pass rushers with impressive sack numbers have never had a sniff of a Super Bowl championship. Ware and Peppers are among them. Reggie White never was close until he played with the #1 QB at that time in Brett Favre. Clay Matthews is a great pass rusher, but wouldn’t have gone to the SB without Aaron Rodgers, who is clearly #1 now.

12. touchdownsyndrome says: Jun 27, 2011 10:50 AM

He’d have an ever stronger argument if Wade “quaker oats” phillips wasn’t driving his team into the ground for half the season.

13. tundey says: Jun 27, 2011 10:52 AM

Why have a list of Top 100 in *2011* when everyone is obviously voting based on career stats. That’s just stupid!

14. jamesneuf says: Jun 27, 2011 10:52 AM

This whle list is stupid so why not put him at 1?

15. melonnhead says: Jun 27, 2011 10:52 AM

It’s harder to find a consistent pass rusher that can cover AND play the run than it is to find a good QB. So much of what a QB does depends on players around him. If they play like crap, the QB looks like crap. And if they play great, the QB looks great.

16. melonnhead says: Jun 27, 2011 11:01 AM

——————————————————

What a silly thing to say. Would Rodgers have gone to the Super Bowl without Clay Matthews and his 13.5 sacks during last season? What about his 3.5 sacks in the playoffs? Would Favre OR White have a Super Bowl ring without Desmond Howard? No.

17. ttommytom says: Jun 27, 2011 11:02 AM

Number 1 in a redraft? Eli Manning would get picked ahead of him. The top 10 QB’s would go 1 through 10. Not rocket science here.

18. CKL says: Jun 27, 2011 11:03 AM

beedubyatoo says:
    Jun 27, 2011 10:46 AM
    ________________________________
    Peppers played in a SB. He was pretty neutralized though. To me, a big part of greatness is how a guy plays in the playoffs.
    05 draft was the one time I wished my Pats would have traded almost WHATEVER to move up so they could have drafted Ware. Love the guy. I think he and Jason Taylor in his prime are two of my favorite defensive players ever, and a similar blend of athleticism and size.

19. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Jun 27, 2011 11:08 AM

Even Cowboy haters have to acknowledge this guys dominance.

20. ac0117 says: Jun 27, 2011 11:11 AM

Number 1 defensive player so maybe number 3-4 overall behind the stud qb’s obviously, but I’d honestly take him over Revis if I was building a defense, I don’t underestimate what Revis brings to the Jets but it’s hard to find a pass-rusher the caliber of D-Ware. Look at all the OLB/DE busts

21. Playmaker's Dealer says: Jun 27, 2011 11:19 AM

how’s a guy lead the league in sacks and not get named all-pro? he should’ve had a 4th straight all-pro honor, this year.

traveshamockery

22. gdeli says: Jun 27, 2011 11:23 AM

Boo Hoo! tell that to people trying to find a job!

23. melonnhead says: Jun 27, 2011 11:26 AM

——————————————————

Other than this list, what makes you think that Eli Manning is one of the 10 best QBs in the league right now?

24. melonnhead says: Jun 27, 2011 11:31 AM

Picked 1st in a draft today? In a QB league? I seriously doubt it.

—————————————————–

QB league? Trent Dilfer can be your QB so long as you have a good D. As proven.

25. 4dabears says: Jun 27, 2011 11:47 AM

This coming from a Dallas Cowboy makes total sense. They’re all fools!

26. CKL says: Jun 27, 2011 11:51 AM

I’m with you melonnhead..as long as the guy is efficient. I would rather have a Brad Johnson type guy though. Johnson was never elite but you could definitely win with him. I don’t mean just the Bucs’ SB year either. He was a smart efficient QB. Give me that and a great D over an elite QB and average D ANY DAY. Best QBs in the world don’t win crap without a great D. The QB of the team I root for (Pats) sure hasn’t won a thing since their D has been on decline & I have no problem admitting that. Building a team around 1 player (QB) is an insane and losing strategy.

27. Deb says: Jun 27, 2011 12:15 PM

Mike thinks Rodgers should have been number one?? That would mean he thinks Rodgers should have been league MVP over Brady? The defense was responsible for three scores in XLV and Matthews was directly responsible for at least two of them. He should have been the game MVP. I’ll agree that Rodgers probably should have been ranked above Brees and Manning for this season, but not above Brady.

As for Ware … I’m still think about what it must have been like to watch he and Osi Umenyiora play high school ball on the same team. Wow :shock:

28. harmcityhomer says: Jun 27, 2011 12:17 PM

Even guys not on this list should think they should be #1.

I think lumping every player into the same list is silly to begin with, so where players end up does not bother me.

I am glad to see Ray and reed in the top 10 though. At least thier peers still respect them even if idiot writers feel they have slipped.

29. pixelito says: Jun 27, 2011 12:24 PM

If he’s number 1, what does that make Tuck? The first pick in the previous supplemental?

30. jimmymcnultysbottleofjameson says: Jun 27, 2011 12:38 PM

Ware before Ed Reed?? C’mon Gregg, Ed missed half the season and still had the most pickles in the league!! But lets look at the big picture here which is the fact that the NFL network has completely screwed the pooch with this countdown. They make it sound like a “what have you done for me lately” ranking, i.e. 2010, but yet they’re showing Mike Vick highlights in Atlanta, just to name one player. Manning will be 1, Brady 2, blah blah blah, same old sh*t. Even the players can’t get it right, as if they even put more than 30 seconds of input while someone filled out this poll for them anyway.

31. jimmerdabomb says: Jun 27, 2011 12:42 PM

I would def take hardy first and reed over ware anyday there Is a lot more dominate pass fishers than there is safetyd

32. jimmerdabomb says: Jun 27, 2011 12:42 PM

brady*

33. mataug says: Jun 27, 2011 12:43 PM

“But at the end of the day, people are going to vote you where they think you should be”

Words of wisdom indeed

34. cup0pizza says: Jun 27, 2011 1:16 PM

Best player in the league, but the list is stupid. DWare94 is the man.

35. tinbender2000 says: Jun 27, 2011 1:40 PM

You want to be #1, too bad you play for a team that’s a steaming pile of #2

36. jacksaysfu says: Jun 27, 2011 1:41 PM

Ware would be 1st on alot of draft boards ? Wow , thank God your not the GM of my team Gregg !!

And if this list was based on 2011 #1-#4 (in no particular order ) would be Brady , Vick , Rodgers and Clay Matthews . Hell maybe even throw Phillip Rivers in there . This list is a popularity contest , a joke !

37. kcflake says: Jun 27, 2011 1:54 PM

Jamall Charles should be ranked higher than Adrian Peterson. Jamall is the best back in the league Bar None.

38. 1bigtex says: Jun 27, 2011 2:11 PM

@ pixelito

Uh, dude, Ware has 80 sacks in his career. Tuck has been in the league the same amount of time. In that time he has 40.5 sacks and Ware has exceeded Tuck’s best season ever (12 sacks) on three different occasions.

39. closisgood says: Jun 27, 2011 2:38 PM

Only reason you would take Matthews @ pick 4 in general, or over Ware is because you’re fan-boy and/or blatantly racist.

Ware is a great a human off the field as he is on. Look him up, his charity work, and how he even declined receiving money from the PA

40. 13xworldchamps says: Jun 27, 2011 2:44 PM

The question is, if you had to start a franchise today and could pick any available player to be your cornerstone who would it be? Hands down it would be Aaron Rodgers………….

41. Soulman45 says: Jun 27, 2011 3:05 PM

How can a cowgirl be #1 it should be a
    ” GREAT DETROIT LIONS”
    “Barry Sanders”

42. geemoney713 says: Jun 27, 2011 3:10 PM

@tjacks7 – “Over Ed Reed? Come on Gregg that guy missed almost half the season and still lead the league in picks. He’s as big of an anchor as there is on any defense.”

It’s hard to call anyone an anchor or top 10 in the league for a given year if the player didn’t even play half the year.

43. 13xworldchamps says: Jun 27, 2011 3:19 PM

Closisgood

——————————————————

Are you serious? Please explain how picking Matthews over Ware is Racist? It’s a fair argument to pick Matthews. Younger, Just as fast, just as strong, just as many sacks his first 2 years, Complete player, never comes off the field. Could have (Should have) been Defensive Player of the year. You my friend are the Racist for even suggesting this.

44. smellmyface says: Jun 27, 2011 3:23 PM

To be #1 you have to play for a winning team. The Cowboys are full of some good prospects and a QB with competition anxiety.

45. silkyjohnson937 says: Jun 27, 2011 3:38 PM

Why does everyone think a lb getting sacks is impressive??? Give me a lb who can cover and get ints over a sack machine anyday. How many sacks do you think derrick brooks had in his career? and where would you rank him among all time linebackers?

46. stavreafavre says: Jun 27, 2011 3:54 PM

I think I should be married to Cindy Crawford or Elle McPherson. Or both. And I can make an argument for it. However…

47. melonnhead says: Jun 27, 2011 4:03 PM

——————————————————-

One thing Ware has that Matthews never will is that quick first step at the snap. Ware is bigger, stronger *and* faster (6’4″, 265, 4.56 40, 27 bench press reps) than Matthews (6’3″, 255, 4.62 40, 23 reps). Ware also creates a *lot* more fumbles than Matthews (he’s got 25 in 6 seasons. Matthews has 3 in 2 seasons). Age would be a factor if Ware were an older guy but he’s only 28.

48. melonnhead says: Jun 27, 2011 4:09 PM

—————————————————–

So you have trouble understanding the difference between LB’s in a 3-4 scheme vs. LB’s in a 4-3 scheme? Let me help you. Think of DeMarcus Ware as a defensive end.

49. closisgood says: Jun 27, 2011 4:29 PM

Because other than being white with long blonde hair, explain to me why matthews would be better than Ware? Ware is better on and off the field, is a veteran…well if all these plyaers were 22 going into their rookie seasons, Ware would be drafted far higher than Matthews….UNLESS you’re white. Thats like saying you of people would wanna take Hillis over CJ2k or A.D.

50. 1bigtex says: Jun 27, 2011 5:22 PM

@ Soulman45

Ah yes, our friend Soulman45. Still not quite up on the rules of the English language, I see. Your comments clearly show your ignorance. Your grammar merely drives the ignorance home.

51. melonnhead says: Jun 27, 2011 5:28 PM

——————————————————

They both went to Troy St., too! I remember reading a story about how they used to push each other. Once they were both about to crush some poor college QB and Osi hand-checked Ware in the shoulder so he could get the sack. And of course it went both ways, they say every play before the snap they’d look at each other and each knew what the other was thinking… “I’m gonna get there first!”

52. tjacks7 says: Jun 27, 2011 8:10 PM

Picked 1st in a draft today? In a QB league? I seriously doubt it.

—————————————————–

QB league? Trent Dilfer can be your QB so long as you have a good D. As proven.

——————————————

If by “good D” you actually meant “one of the top 5 defenses in the history of he game.”

I mean they only had 4 shutouts and 9 games where they held opponents to 10 or less points. And only averaged 10.3 points against per game.

Just saying, good is a bit of an understatement.

53. 13xworldchamps says: Jun 28, 2011 9:28 AM

Closisgood

——————————————————

Read my post, I didn’t say “BETTER” I said you could make a case for taking Matthews over Ware. My observations were based on fact, you my friend are clearly a racist. You are the one saying white with long blonde hair. How pathetic you are. My observations were based on performance, not with some chip on my shoulder. I think DeMarcus Ware is a great player and would love to have him on my team. You can’t say the same thing about Clay Matthews, not based on his stellar performance on the field, but simply because he is white. Then having to mention the running backs…wow get a life and grow up. people like you are what’s wrong with this country right now.

54. manofaiki says: Jun 28, 2011 10:01 AM

One thing that makes Ware’s dominance stand out in my mind is that he’s gotten almost no help during the past 3 seasons off the other side since Ellis left for Oakland.

Anthony Spencer provides almost no pressure coming from the other side. Only during the second half of the 2009 seasons has Spencer EVER looked like he was pulling the double teams and protections over from Ware’s side. And last season Spencer was totally invisible. Again.

55. 13xworldchamps says: Jun 28, 2011 10:20 AM

Not arguing Ware’s production, Again, he is a great player. I bet if you asked him, he’d give up all of his 25 fumbles for the 1 that Matthew’s got in the Superbowl at the start of the 4th quarter.

56. closisgood says: Jun 28, 2011 11:54 AM

then tell me why exactly you think Matthews wuld go over Ware? If you yourself say he isn’t better than why choose him? Thats my point, there is only one reason you would choose Clay over Demarcus

57. closisgood says: Jun 28, 2011 1:48 PM

Also, Matthews is put on the right tackle, typically less talented compared to a LEFT tackle.

Matthews gets to use his talent against weaker opposition

58. 13xworldchamps says: Jun 28, 2011 3:09 PM

Jun 28, 2011 1:48 PM

Closisgood

Matthews gets to use his talent against weaker
    opposition

——————————————————

Weak argument closet Racist, Ware moves around, he doesn’t play every snap on the Right side of the defense, I know when the Packers played the Cowboys they had him lined up against our right tackle the Majority of the snaps. it’s only common sense these days to move these dominant rushers around, The Packers do the same thing with Matthews. When we Played the Eagles and the Steelers in the Playoffs Matthews played a lot of snaps int the middle and was spying on Vick and Roethlisberger.

Again these guys are both great players, I’d take either one, but since Matthews is on my favorite team I’ll take what I have and be very happy, I’d take Ware though without a second thought. You can’t say the same though, because you are a racist and a hater. Grow and see people for who and what they are, not what they look like…………..

59. closisgood says: Jun 28, 2011 4:06 PM

Then say its because he is on your favorite team, you heb. Explain your bias first

60. 1bigtex says: Jun 28, 2011 8:07 PM

@ 13x

The whole exchange seems to go back to someone saying that Matthews is the 4th best player in the league. You tried to say that Clay was as big (wrong), as fast (wrong), and as strong (also wrong) as Ware. That Clay was an every down LB (as is Ware). Demarcus has been the sack champ on multiple occasions and was robbed of DPOY after his 20 sack season.

Go ahead and come out and say you prefer him because he’s a Packer instead of getting defensive or trying to make up stats.

61. 13xworldchamps says: Jun 29, 2011 10:01 AM

1bigtex says: Jun 28, 2011 8:07 PM

@ 13x

—————————————————-

First off I never said Matthews was top 4, I think were he was ranked at 19 was just about right. So Ware has 1 inch, 10 pounds, and just a bit faster. OK whatever if you want to split hairs. I’m not the one getting defensive nor have I made up any stats. I admit Ware is a great player, I’d take him on my team. My problem was Closisgood won’t acknowledge Matthews is also a great player and the reason he can’t or won’t say that is because Matthews is white. I would have thought since no other team is close you guys would have known I was a Packer fan by my 13xworldchamps

62. closisgood says: Jul 1, 2011 2:43 PM

I never said Matthews wasnt any good. I said you’re fooling yourself if you are going to take Ware over Matthews.

I’m not black, so dont even go there with that, I could care less. But when you blindly come out and say you would easily take Matthew over Ware than obviously there is something underneath that decision.

Just say you’re a fudgepacker and it’d be clear for everyone why you said that. Nuff said

63. 13xworldchamps says: Jul 1, 2011 4:30 PM

closisgood says: Jul 1, 2011 2:43 PM

——————————————————

Is that a Typo there closis or what, we Agree, youre now saying your fooling yourself if you are going to take Ware over Matthews…..LOL

No were in our conversation ahve I said anything about your race, I could care less. I’ve never said anything other than I think they are very comparable players. The one big difference is you never see Ware drop into coverage, were as Matthews does it quite often.

so now you have to go with the fudgepacker stuff, when all your arguments fail you degenerate to name calling, Oh well only shows what a little man or whatever you truly are.