Eli Manning: Giants would rather have Plaxico than Tiki

eliplaxico Getty Images

Two former Giants, Plaxico Burress and Tiki Barber, are hoping to return to the NFL this year after a long time away. One of their former teammates says that he’d rather be reunited with the guy who’s been in prison than the guy who’s been on television.

Giants quarterback Eli Manning said on today’s Dan Patrick Show that he’d accept Burress as a teammate before he’d accept Barber as a teammate — and he thinks most of his current teammates feel the same way.

“Probably Plaxico,” Manning said when asked which one would be more welcome in the Giants’ locker room. “He has probably fonder memories, winning a Super Bowl, that catch for the touchdown in Super Bowl XLII. Tiki just ended on a bad note. It’s really a shame, he should be remembered as a great Giants running back and a terrific player — because he was — but the way he went out he burned a few bridges. . . . So I think Plaxico would probably be welcomed back a little quicker.”

When Barber was an NBC analyst he offered some criticisms of Manning, and Manning says that by firing back and offering his own criticisms of Barber, he earned more respect in the Giants’ locker room.

“I responded back and I think guys liked to see that from me,” Manning said. “I didn’t want it to be a deal where it’s me vs. Tiki . . . but I couldn’t just sit there and do nothing.”

Manning’s comments are a fascinating glimpse into the way football players view the actions of their teammates: Burress broke the New York Penal Code, but now that he’s served his time, players are willing to forget about it. Barber broke the locker room code by attacking former teammates in the media, and that’s not something those teammates are willing to forgive.

UPDATE: Here’s the video of Manning’s interview.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
41 Responses to “Eli Manning: Giants would rather have Plaxico than Tiki”
  1. ebenezergrymm says: Jun 27, 2011 11:46 AM

Eli threw 3 picks and fumbled twice during this interview.

2. Spencer says: Jun 27, 2011 11:47 AM

Which quarterback would they rather have?

3. geeeeemen says: Jun 27, 2011 11:48 AM

The only person who’d rather see Tiki on the Giants over Plax is…

Is…

Hmm

4. descendency says: Jun 27, 2011 11:53 AM

Eli Manning: Giants would rather have hole in head than Tiki.

5. seabreezes51 says: Jun 27, 2011 11:55 AM

Peyton would be their choice of Mannings.
    Just sayin’

6. pacificamjr says: Jun 27, 2011 11:56 AM

go away tiki

7. colinito says: Jun 27, 2011 11:58 AM

Tiki violated the principles of honor. Plaxico violated the regulations of bureaucracy. There is nothing immoral about carrying a gun, whether lawful or not.

I’d rather have Plax on my team too. Common sense.

8. pftstory says: Jun 27, 2011 12:06 PM

Peyton would be the chioce amongs almost any two QB’s. Pretty silly to use that as a slap at Eli.

Plus of course Eli is right.

Why “Manning’s comments are a fascinating glimpse…” is a big deal to the writer beats me.

Its a law that a great many people debated if it was just or not. It was a sentence a great many people debated if it was jut or not.
    Its not like Plax was known as a dirt ball prior.

I dont see how a football locker room would be any different them any other collection of men.

You screw up you get forgiven. You act as an ass with deliberate actions and never ask for forgiveness..good riddance.

9. jw731 says: Jun 27, 2011 12:06 PM

This way, when a 4 MPH wind tosses one of Raggedy Ann’s passes over the intended receiver’s head, the taller Plax, can catch it, and he can sell more watches and oreos’s…….

10. chargerdillon says: Jun 27, 2011 12:07 PM

And Eli continues to get the last laugh…

Tiki needs to go away, 1 season showing everybody he’s as old as he really is and he’ll be gone, why it’s going to take that season is beyond me

11. shackdelrio says: Jun 27, 2011 12:09 PM

St. Peter: God would rather have Plaxico than Tiki

12. jakek2 says: Jun 27, 2011 12:20 PM

Here we go with the daily token bash Tiki thread.

Can someone please tell me why Tiki garners more hate combined than the 50+ jamooks on the “arrest countdown” on the right of the page…people that have murdered, beat women, drunk drive killings, sex with minors, the list goes on.

Recap: Tiki’s “crimes”: 1) telling the world what we already knew about Tiki; 2) hooking up with a hot intern AFTER he was separated from his wife.

Perspective people….Thanks!

By the way…..if Eli was smart…he’d choose Tiki. That guy has twice the heart and drive to succeed than Plax.

13. jakek2 says: Jun 27, 2011 12:21 PM

correction…”telling the world what we already knew about ELI”

14. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Jun 27, 2011 12:22 PM

Thumbs up if you are hoping this Tiki experiment fails and he is signed by no one!

15. Playmaker's Dealer says: Jun 27, 2011 12:23 PM

of course he would…Plax was a model of consistency at WR. Tiki had one or two good years.

16. powderedme says: Jun 27, 2011 12:38 PM

He’s just being honest; can’t fault the guy for that.

17. jakek2 says: Jun 27, 2011 12:52 PM

Tiki’s career was on the UPSWING when he retired. Plax was already showing age before he shot his own leg. I guess it would make sense to sign Plax before Tiki. :/

18. ac0117 says: Jun 27, 2011 12:59 PM

I’d be very surprised if anyone signs Tiki to anything but a spot duty role – he was very good in his prime but hes a 30+ RB with a dislikable personality and a history of throwing teammates under the bus

19. shackdelrio says: Jun 27, 2011 1:00 PM

“jakek2 says:
    Jun 27, 2011 12:52 PM
    Tiki’s career was on the UPSWING when he retired.”

…and the team won a Super Bowl the first year without him. And Plaxico scored the winning TD.

20. jakek2 says: Jun 27, 2011 1:02 PM

Playmaker’s Dealer says:
    —————
    Tiki averaged over FIVE yds per carry 3x in his career and over 4.5 yds another 3x in his career. Clearly you are either a hater or a know-nothing.

21. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Jun 27, 2011 1:03 PM

jakek2 says: Jun 27, 2011 12:20 PM

Here we go with the daily token bash Tiki thread.

Perspective people….Thanks!

—————————————————

Tiki? Your alias is Jake?

22. jakek2 says: Jun 27, 2011 1:06 PM

shackdelrio says:
    —————-
    Irrelevant to who was better their last year but I’ll play along.

23. jakek2 says: Jun 27, 2011 1:28 PM

All the love for Plax…what about the fact that Plax was late or altogether missed more meetings that Coughlin could count? Was Plax ever benched? (Yes…for 1Q). How is special treatment to one player OVER and OVER better for the lockerroom than a player who made a few comments IN RETIREMENT about a teammate?

24. schmitty2 says: Jun 27, 2011 1:35 PM

jakek2 says:
    Jun 27, 2011 12:20 PM
    Here we go with the daily token bash Tiki thread.

Perspective people….Thanks!

Calm down man. Go back and look at the posts on the other guys (Britt, Mendenhall etc) They get bashed a ton too. If Tiki wasnt so arrogant and a crappy husband then I guarantee the negative comments would be minimal

25. claymus1 says: Jun 27, 2011 1:41 PM

The ONLY mistake Plax made was not investing in a good holster.

26. wizahdry says: Jun 27, 2011 1:53 PM

I listened to this interview while I was driving today and this article is totally twisting what was said to start something. Eli was simply asked which of the two does he think the Giants would welcome back first.

Eli was very honest and forthright, he didn’t take any shots at Tiki. He made a pick and briefly went into some of the past remarks Tiki made and that he was hurt. Manning said he felt a need back then to respond because Tiki was a former team mate (Eli said had it just been a regular media member he wouldn’t have responded). He then said that he understood that Tiki was under pressure to not play favorites to his old team as a journalist. He agreed with Patrick that this was probably the motivation for the comments.

Some times this site really spins something innocent to try and instigate. I am no Giants or Eli fan but he didn’t say anything wrong it was actually a cool interview. Must be slow news day PFT!!!

27. shackdelrio says: Jun 27, 2011 2:05 PM

“jakek2 says:
    Jun 27, 2011 1:06 PM
    The 07′ Giants would not so much as sniffed the playoffs that year if Tiki didn’t take the heat off Eli during Eli’s early development. Eli developed pre-07′ b/c defenses played 9 in the box to stop Tiki. Without Tiki, Eli would have been David Carr 2.0. Trust me…I’ve been a Giants’ fan since before you knew what the NFL was.”

Thanks for the history lesson Ronde.

28. powderedme says: Jun 27, 2011 2:11 PM

“jakek2 says:
    Jun 27, 2011 12:52 PM
    Tiki’s career was on the UPSWING when he retired.”

I guess catching the game-winning touchdown in the Superbowl isn’t considered a career upswing these days.

29. jakek2 says: Jun 27, 2011 2:12 PM

schmitty -

I’m a life long Giants’ fan. While they might not have as long a list of criminals as say the Bengals, they have had their share.

L.T. – drugs, sex with prostitutes (underage probably)

Ingram – fraud, money laundering, jumping bail

Meggett – basically a pedophile

Now….I’ve blogged plenty on other sites, including NY sites, and NONE of the these players catches more grief than Tiki.

Something is wrong with our society when a player like L.T., who cowardly stayed away from the Ring of Honor ceremony while going through this latest scandal gets CHEERED, while Tiki, who was brave enough to show even though he knew he’d get BOOED, showed.

It was the first time I was ashamed to call myself a Giants’ fan.

30. Soulman45 says: Jun 27, 2011 2:15 PM

Is this the story of today I have no comment.

31. jakek2 says: Jun 27, 2011 2:36 PM

I love how everyone “thumbs downs” me or name calls me for making pro-Tiki arguments but nobody has any substance to counter me in this debate.

Its the same people that thumbs down me on pro-union posts and then counter with the “yeah but DeMoron has ugly hats” comebacks.

To be clear, I’m not Tiki’s alter-ego and I always thought he was smug. However, facts are facts. He’s not a criminal. Before his comments, he was actually a role model (not many people with his short size and lack of speed were ever as good). And, without him, Eli would likely NOT have developed into a SB MVP.

For this alone, Giants’ fans should, at least, not outwardly boo him. To do so is rather ignorant.

32. zaggs says: Jun 27, 2011 2:40 PM

“Manning’s comments are a fascinating glimpse into the way football players view the actions of their teammates: Burress broke the New York Penal Code”

He violated a law that would not stand up in front of the Supreme Court, and hurt no one but himself in the process.
    Tiki on the other hand is just a back stabbing ass.

33. steelybills says: Jun 27, 2011 2:51 PM

I wouldn’t want either of them.

34. klunge says: Jun 27, 2011 2:55 PM

descendency says:
    Jun 27, 2011 11:53 AM
    Eli Manning: Giants would rather have hole in head than Tiki.
    ————————————————

Funny you should use that phrase…if they bring back Plax that may be EXACTLY what somebody gets! Better frisk that dude on the way into the locker room.
    In any case, still a better choice than Tiki. He’s a louse.

35. steelybills says: Jun 27, 2011 2:57 PM

I’m on your side on this one “Jakek2″, I think most of the people that are thumbs downing you are too narrow minded, and aren’t actually comprehending what your writing…They can’t seem to get past the fact that they are pro-Tiki comments, and see that you actually have good points.

36. jakek2 says: Jun 27, 2011 3:09 PM

zaggs says:
    Tiki on the other hand is just a back stabbing ass.
    ——————
    zaggs – with all due respect, what Plax did was much worse. The Giants were defending champs and sat at 11-1 heading into that fateful night. They were primed for a first round bye and had a legit shot at a repeat. Going to a nightclub with an unlicensed, unholstered gun, not only put other patron’s LIVES at risk, Plax’ selfish, irresponsible and unlawful action cost the Giants their season.

Tiki, AFTER retirement, told us what we already knew….that Eli was not a lockerroom leader.

For the sake of argument, lets presume for a second that you are a fan of a team that hasn’t won the big one yet like the Eagles. Same scenario. Vick shoots himself in the leg and Jeremiah Trotter says that D. Jax is a prima donna.

Do you still think Tiki’s comments were worse than Plax’ actions?

37. jakek2 says: Jun 27, 2011 4:21 PM

steelybills – it’s a slow day for me at work. I’d love for a Tiki-hater to debate the facts with me.

I grew up in northern N.J., know Tiki’s trainer Joe Carini, my law firm used to represent Tiki and I have been a Giants’ fan all my life. These things don’t make me a Tiki apologist. My arguments are based on having an open mind.

That said, I am confident that Tiki has better odds of success than Plax. Teams like Pitt, G.B., N.E. and Indy are really only a RB away from being the SB favorite over the other 3 (Pitt has Mendenhall, but thats it). Why wouldn’t one of these teams take a flyer on a proven stud RB with tremendous work ethic? It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if he was starting for NE by week 5.

38. nevin999 says: Jun 27, 2011 5:10 PM

The title of this blog is a teensy bit misleading in that it kind of suggests that Eli insulted Tiki. I’m not a Giants fan, far from it, I’m an Eagles fan, but I think Eli was quite fair with his comments and kudos to him for his candor.

I’m not saying that Michael David Smith took anything really out of context here, just that the title suggested something inflammatory (to me at least) that Eli said about Tiki, which I didn’t see at all.

39. granadafan says: Jun 27, 2011 5:15 PM

Not a Tiki hater or fan, but this latest comment by Eli appears to be the nail in the coffin for him ever returning to the Giants. It seems that players, former and current, know a lot more about Tiki than some of his defenders. Being a good teammate is a lot more than just putting up good stats behind a dominant offensive line. If he’s a locker room cancer, then that’s a negative. How can the QB make plays if he can’t trust his RB to block that charging, angry linebacker on the blindside?

40. jackwar says: Jun 27, 2011 5:27 PM

Dear Joyless PFT Commentors,

A ball thrown by Eli’s weak arm would break your brittle computer fingers.

Tiki Barber on his worst day would crack your sternum on your best day.

Plaxico would swat you away like a sad fly.

All the pro-athlete hate is confusing.

41. schmitty2 says: Jun 27, 2011 6:00 PM

jackwar says:
    Jun 27, 2011 5:27 PM
    Dear Joyless PFT Commentors,

A ball thrown by Eli’s weak arm would break your brittle computer fingers.

Tiki Barber on his worst day would crack your sternum on your best day.

Plaxico would swat you away like a sad fly.

All the pro-athlete hate is confusing.

Hey jackwar or should i say Jacka$$…we can comment as much as we like because WE joyless PFt commentators are just some of the people who help or have helped pay those salaries. Go whine on another website