Pittsburgh holds rally for Hines Ward’s dancing win

2011 CMT Music Awards - Arrivals Getty Images

There was no Super Bowl parade in Pittsburgh this year, but there will be a rally for Hines Ward’s victory on a reality TV show.

The rally will honor Ward’s victory in “Dancing with the Stars” will be held in front of the City-County building.  Both Ward and his dancing partner will attend, and fans are encouraged to wear black and gold and bring terrible towels.

The information above is not an excerpt from an Onion Sports article.

“City residents and the Steelers Nation have contacted my office asking for the city to properly thank our hometown hero for once-again shining the spotlight on Pittsburgh,” Mayor Luke Ravenstahl said via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

It’s official. The huge rally Boston threw for Ray Bourque when he won the Stanley Cup in Colorado is no longer the saddest sports-related celebration ever.

Permalink 49 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
49 Responses to “Pittsburgh holds rally for Hines Ward’s dancing win”
  1. Deb says: Jun 27, 2011 6:52 PM

Oh, go jump. And an extra go jump on Boston’s behalf, too. Pittsburgh would have thrown that rally for Hines even if the Steelers had won the Super Bowl. Steeler Nation celebrates its players and cheers their accomplishments. That’s a difficult dance competition, as you’d know if you boys weren’t so busy telling everyone you don’t watch because you’re afraid they’ll revoke your man card. :roll:

CONGRATS, HINES!! GO STEELERS!!

2. whatswiththehate says: Jun 27, 2011 6:57 PM

At least some of the tax-payers in Pittsburgh asked the Mayor to host it..

I guess the past winners feel no love from their individual cities

3. hobartbaker says: Jun 27, 2011 6:59 PM

Hurry it up Hines, Ochocinco wants his wardrobe back.

4. abninf says: Jun 27, 2011 7:00 PM

Do dudes actually watch that show?

5. nepatriots128154 says: Jun 27, 2011 7:02 PM

Hey, thats not fair. Ray Borque’s rally was actually for a cool accomplishment though.

6. crimhollingsworth says: Jun 27, 2011 7:11 PM

My suggestion for the Parade music is “Dancing Queen” by Abba.

“You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life, see that girl, watch that scene, diggin’ the dancing queen”

7. bwisnasky says: Jun 27, 2011 7:17 PM

Oh for the love of GOD please settle this damned lockout… I am soooo tired of non-storys just to keep the damned website going….. WHO freaking cares if he won “So you think you can dance?” Good lord enough is ENOUGH!

8. diz17 says: Jun 27, 2011 7:18 PM

A normal person would realize how idiotic this is and how it is a gross waste of taxpayer money. But since no one in Pittsburgh has the correct number of chromosomes, they’ll never figure it out.

9. tfbuckfutter says: Jun 27, 2011 7:22 PM

Dude, Boston LOVED Bourque. We were so happy for him to get what he deserved. Not only that, but we also DESPISED Jeremy Jacobs and his ownership and management policies at the time, so we understood Bourque’s position (watching the team’s leading scorers leave season after season gets to be a bit draining. Hell, Dave Andreychuk was leading the team in goals at the time of the trade and was traded with Bourque).

And he also was traded to Colorado. Not New York or Montreal.

If Dan Marino or Barry Sanders had been traded to a completely innocuous team in the opposite conference, you think Dolphin or Lions fans wouldn’t be cheering like crazy for that team?

10. fonetiklee says: Jun 27, 2011 7:27 PM

I literally can’t think of a single thing that deserves a rally less than winning “Dancing with the Stars.” Are you f’ing kidding me?

11. debthebusybody says: Jun 27, 2011 7:27 PM

Meanwhile…in Green Bay, there is still a real celebration going on, and it’s not for winning on a game show.

Lame.

12. trickbunny says: Jun 27, 2011 7:58 PM

Ol’ Twinkletoes Ward. Maybe he should ride on a giant tutu float in the parade :)

13. hobartbaker says: Jun 27, 2011 8:11 PM

Och wants Hines to work with him on a new series called Badback & Brokenknees Mountain where they play two aging mixed race “Caballeros” who find each other, single and desperate with fading career hopes.

14. tfbuckfutter says: Jun 27, 2011 8:25 PM

fonetiklee says: Jun 27, 2011 7:27 PM

————————————–

Really? You can’t think of a SINGLE thing?

Because, just off the top of my head, how about LOSING Dancing with the Stars?

15. blchaney69 says: Jun 27, 2011 8:31 PM

Oh, please, Hines has two Super Bowl Rings and was an MVP of one… The Steelers Have 6 SuperBowls and have been to 8 Super Bowls..Lets not act like they are some scrub organization that is looking for a consilation prize.. They just so happen to love their athletes and Support them!! There is Nothing else going on…they can go to minicamps or OTA’s so why Not have a celebration for Hines’ dancing With The Stars Victory!!! Sounds Like alot of People Are Jealous of the Steelers!!!
    And yeah, unless you dont like VERY attractive dancing women, a man can watch that show!!

16. Deb says: Jun 27, 2011 8:41 PM

@diz17 …

Yes, I’m sure it will bankrupt Pittsburgh for citizens to show up in front of city hall in black and gold to meet Hines and his dance partner. So where did you get that economics degree?

@the lil busybody Vikes fan …

So anxious to take a shot at me you’d cheer the Pack to do it? Pittsburgh has thrown six of those Super Bowl celebrations–two in the last five years. How many have they held in Minneapolis? :lol:

17. radrntn says: Jun 27, 2011 9:01 PM

you can tell this city has nothing else going on if they can do this…

18. fancyleague says: Jun 27, 2011 9:03 PM

Pittsburgh is a football town, and Hines is a Super Bowl MVP, which pretty much makes him a god. They could hold rallies to celebrate Hines winning at bingo, and people would should up to see him.

19. minnysoda says: Jun 27, 2011 9:15 PM

Thank God an Important trophy to celebrate in footballdom. I mean much better than watching the Lombardi at Lambeau.
    Is there truth that Ward is changing his last name to Twinkletoes we know Roethlisberger fits on a jersey.

20. semperfi24 says: Jun 27, 2011 9:24 PM

I dont really care one way or the other. Personally I think it is a nice gesture on the part of the fans to hold a rally to help Hines celebrate. However, would the Pittsburgh fans that think this is the awesomest thing ever, feel the same way if it was Baltimore fans holding a rally for a Ravens player? Not trying to stir things up, just asking in all seriousness. Too many times football fans (all fans, of all teams, including myself) immediately jump up to support their players/teams blindly just because, and also jump up to bash other teams/players just because…

21. hobartbaker says: Jun 27, 2011 9:29 PM

In future any NFL wide receivers who start for more than three years in the league will be designated Attention Getting Devices.

22. lamepftposter says: Jun 27, 2011 9:49 PM

lololol!!!!1!! much like jason taylor, hines ward, or should i say HELMETTOHELMETines ward, will be begging to be on hard knocks before you know it. LOL!!1! i wonder if he’s as dirty on the dancefloor as he is on the field. lololol!!!

23. steelersmichele says: Jun 27, 2011 10:07 PM

abninf says: Do dudes actually watch that show?

Interesting that you assume just men voted for Ward–Pittsburgh happens to have a very high female fan base.

24. steelersmichele says: Jun 27, 2011 10:18 PM

And as for the “gay” comments being hinted at with regards to Ward (first, shame on you for having to “reinforce” your manhood) but check and see if any of these guys played on your (fantasy) team: Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, Warren Sapp, Lawrence Taylor, Michael Irvin, Ochocinco, Kurt Warner.

I’d love to hear some of your comments about those guys. BTW–Emmitt won the trophy, too.

25. semperfi24 says: Jun 27, 2011 10:44 PM

None of those guys have been on my fantasy team, because fantasy football is more gay than anything that has ever happened on the stupid dancing show, lol

26. raylewisisamurderer says: Jun 27, 2011 11:03 PM

OK guys. Do you have any idea how jealous you people look getting on every single Steelers related article just to talk trash? I would feel bad for you guys if you just weren’t such scumbags!

27. androk23 says: Jun 27, 2011 11:13 PM

steelersmichele says:
    Jun 27, 2011 10:07 PM
    abninf says: Do dudes actually watch that show?

—–

Interesting that you assume that that’s what abninf assumes

28. ampatsisahypocrite says: Jun 27, 2011 11:40 PM

No, the saddest thing is that they actually organized a campaign in Baltimore to vote for Ward’s competition on the show.

29. bcjim says: Jun 27, 2011 11:41 PM

If you went to this event…you are a loser.

30. cleonslamminsalmon says: Jun 28, 2011 12:15 AM

I guess if there’s no Super Bowl victory to cheer for…This reminds me of that Simpson’s episode where Homer takes Bart to Pittsburgh.

31. george3246 says: Jun 28, 2011 12:40 AM

Even though I’ve never seen DWTS, I’m glad that Hines won because Steeler Nation is always 100% behind any or all of the team, coaches and Rooneys.

As an absentee ‘burgher, I couldn’t go to the rally if I wanted and probably wouldn’t go if I could. But I am positive that hundreds, if not thousands, of fans will show up to celebrate with Hines if they happen to enjoy that part of being a true Steelers fan.

After all, this event is more for the fans than it is for Ward. And you can be sure that he enjoys every minute that he can share with his fans.

32. quizguy66 says: Jun 28, 2011 2:53 AM

A parade for the Pirates finishing over .500, I could understand.

This “celebration” is ridiculous.

-QG

33. dickroy says: Jun 28, 2011 7:12 AM

Do so many of these people on here really hate the Steelers or are they just jealous of our 6 Superbowls?

34. pftstory says: Jun 28, 2011 7:33 AM

Maybe people will have enough sense to show up at this rally and laugh at him.

Do people really think doing well on Dancing with the Stars is an accomplishment?

35. melonnhead says: Jun 28, 2011 8:05 AM

They just so happen to love their athletes and Support them!!

——————————————————–

Sure! Just ask Mike Webster.

36. melonnhead says: Jun 28, 2011 8:06 AM

Pittsburgh happens to have a very high female fan base.

——————————————————-

I bet they’re reeeeeallllly high!

37. melonnhead says: Jun 28, 2011 8:08 AM

——————————————————————————–

Yeah but Emmitt actually leads when he dances.

38. footballhistorian says: Jun 28, 2011 8:15 AM

Not that there’s anything wrong with that…

39. jimmymcnultysbottleofjameson says: Jun 28, 2011 9:14 AM

Hahaha, what a joke of a city. Pathetic.

40. steelersmichele says: Jun 28, 2011 9:27 AM

melonnhead, after reading your last three posts, I’m glad to see you’ve finally come out of the closet and can actually admit you’re jealous of the Steelers and their fans :)

41. rmm1984 says: Jun 28, 2011 9:36 AM

I feel like one of the few people in Pittsburgh who didn’t watch this stupid show. I’d think twice about watching if my brother was on there let alone Hines Ward. Ugh I’d rather go to the dentist then watch one of the Steelers dance in shiny clothes. I need some football in my life.

42. rooneyruleblues says: Jun 28, 2011 9:40 AM

You should see the rally’s they throw when Big Ben buys his way out of his sexual assault charges.

43. rmm1984 says: Jun 28, 2011 9:58 AM

People are so obsessed with Big Ben. This had nothing to do with him.

44. Steeler's Will says: Jun 28, 2011 11:09 AM

melonnhead says:
    Jun 28, 2011 8:05 AM

Sure! Just ask Mike Webster.
    ———————

Can’t. He’s dead. What’s your point? I’m interested in all you know about Mike Webster. Honest.

45. Deb says: Jun 28, 2011 11:39 AM

@pftstory …

Yes, being able to execute those dance moves is an accomplishment. The physical conditioning of the professional dancers is comparable to that of world-class gymnasts and probably better than that of the most conditioned professional football players.

But the biggest accomplishment for the Steelers is that just the mention of their name draws so much undisguised bitterness from lil pipsqueaks jealous of their history, ownership, trophies, and fan camaraderie. Bless your hearts. :lol:

46. trickbunny says: Jun 28, 2011 3:49 PM

raylewisisamurderer says:
    Jun 27, 2011 11:03 PM

————————————————

Does anyone else find it ironic and laughable that a post whining about scumbags and trash talking is coming from a poster named “raylewisisamurderer”???

Yep. Just another example (in a long, long list) of a Steelers fan who dishes it out, but can’t take it.

47. Deb says: Jun 28, 2011 5:08 PM

@trickbunny …

Yes … must admit I did find that ironic ;)

48. raylewisisamurderer says: Jun 28, 2011 6:47 PM

@trickbunny- I dont get on other teams articles to trash talk. I have better things to do. As far as my name goes, I am just pointing out the fact that ,yes, Ray Lewis is a murderer. He’s a great football player but c’mon.

49. Steeler's Will says: Jun 29, 2011 10:57 AM

trickbunny is a notorious Ray Lewis apologist.