Gary Kubiak sounds content with his wideouts

Jac. Jones Getty Images

We recently listed No.2 wideout as a big need for the Texans, but it sounds like coach Gary Kubiak wants to bring the band back together.

In an interview with Nick Scurfield of HoustonTexans.com, Kubiak made it clear he wants to re-sign Jacoby Jones despite a lot of fan questions about the position.

“I would tell the people that ask that question that if you put Jacoby and Kevin Walter’s numbers together last year, they add up to about 102 catches and 1,200 yards, and that would be the best number two receiver in football,” Kubiak said. “I like our two players. I think they’re both damned good players.”

With Owen Daniels and Arian Foster both big receiving threats, the Texans don’t exactly need a big-time No. 2 wideout.  Unless some team blows Jones away with an offer, it sounds like there’s a good chance he’ll return to Houston.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
17 Responses to “Gary Kubiak sounds content with his wideouts”
  1. trbowman says: Jun 28, 2011 6:35 PM

It’s not really a need. That was a top five offense last year.

Cornerback on the other hand….

2. dawkinseffect says: Jun 28, 2011 6:37 PM

For the love of god I hope the Texans make the playoffs somehow, just for the sake of the franchise and fan base.

3. mmskin says: Jun 28, 2011 6:40 PM

ill take jones all day on the redskins

4. kramelttil says: Jun 28, 2011 7:12 PM

Would love to see Steve Smith (Car) come to Houston. Texans would then have the best #2 in the league….all by himself

5. nflconspiracytheoristdeluxe says: Jun 28, 2011 7:14 PM

N-N-A-M-D-I

Respectfully, open thy pocketbook Mr. McNair. It’s time to make a bold move.

6. derekjetersmansion says: Jun 28, 2011 7:18 PM

I’ll say it again. Changing your front 7 means nothing if your secondary blows.

7. ajtexans says: Jun 28, 2011 7:35 PM

People are underestimating what Jacoby will get in FA. A Kevin Walter- like deal is not out of the question for him and the Texans won’t match that. Enter Dorin Dickerson.

8. frankhad says: Jun 28, 2011 8:11 PM

Improving the front 7 also improves the secondary.

9. acdc84 says: Jun 28, 2011 8:41 PM

“Kubiak is absolutely right – don’t mess with the offense, it’s Super Bowl caliber as it is! So then, how exactly do you spell Super Bowl in Houston?

N-N-A-M-D-I”

LOL. A team that has never made the playoffs is ONE player away from the SB. OK then.

Nnamdi is great, but great QBs spread the ball around and make their receivers great, and that’s gonna be a problem. Staying in the division, one Peyton Manning comes to mind, and I don’t think he’ll be too worried about ONLY throwing to Clark, Collie, Garcon and Tamme, if Nnamdi has Wayne tied up.

Outside of the division, let’s say Houston SOMEHOW makes it to the SB against GB. I’m pretty certain Greg Jennings won’t be held catchless, but who the heck is gonna cover Finley??

Pretty ignorant (albeit wishful) thinking buddy.

10. batterychucker says: Jun 28, 2011 9:01 PM

derekjetersmansion says:Jun 28, 2011 7:18 PM

I’ll say it again. Changing your front 7 means nothing if your secondary blows.
    —————————————-

It absolutely means everything. If you have a poor secondary, you can hide a lot of issues with an effective pass rush – of which the Texans had neither last year. With pressure, the QB hurries a lot of throws and is a lot more inaccurate. Teams playing the Texans last year could sit back, aim and fire at their targets without worrying about pressure from the D-line. This exposed the weaknesses in the secondary – namely the inexperience and poor technique of Jackson.

As for the #2 receiver, everyone who watches this team on a regular basis knows that the way the offense works, Daniels is the #2 receiver, with Jones and Walter handling a lower percentage of the receptions. Johnson and Daniels are the ones that move the chains.

11. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Jun 28, 2011 10:22 PM

what? I love all the love the Texans are getting on here. I hope it brings up more main articles about them!!

For one Jacoby… The guys good don’t get me wrong but.. Idk his hands are really small… He’s a little inconsistent but he gets spread around a lot with Kevin Walter.

Either way I made a statement on the last big texans article on here about Dorin dickerson stepping up. I’m very excited about him! Also heck no don’t break it up!! Top 5 offense and its not gonna slow down I can promise you that! If we have to skip out on leach for secondary players in free agency. Do it! James casey can take over anyways.

12. frankhad says: Jun 28, 2011 10:49 PM

As has been demonstrated many times, improving the front seven also improves the secondary.

Increasing the pressure on the quarterback lessens the time defensive backs need to maintain coverage. By forcing the quarterback to throw earlier than preferred also increases errant passes as well as interceptions.

13. terrellblowens says: Jun 29, 2011 12:20 AM

If I had the best receiver in the league, I would be pretty content as well

14. transam7816 says: Jun 29, 2011 1:18 AM

I’ll say it again. Changing your front 7 means nothing if your secondary blows.
    ——————————————————–

Lol…w..t…f…are you on??

15. flyerscup2010 says: Jun 29, 2011 7:27 AM

two players don’t make one #2 receiver…they make one #2 receiver and one #3 receiver. simple math, gary.

with that said…houston’s secondary is butt, so it doesn’t matter what they do with their receivers anyway because if you can’t stop the other team’s receivers then you’re just playing for .500.

16. mrbigass says: Jun 29, 2011 11:42 AM

Says a lot about Andre Johnson when it takes two guys to equal his production.

That being said, you have to like Dorin as a possibility and I can’t remember Casey James ever not catching a ball that was anywhere near him. We definitely have options.

17. djaehne says: Jul 4, 2011 2:21 AM

Pretty ignorant (albeit wishful) thinking buddy.
    __________

As I recall, Texans went to GB in the ice and
    snow, and it wasn’t GB and Aron Rogers in the
    post game conference talking about a GB win.