Ty Law wants to retire as a Patriot

2879507_display_image Getty Images

He hasn’t played for the Patriots since 2004, which also happened to be the last year the Pats won a Super Bowl.  But cornerback Ty Law hopes to officially retire as a member of the team.

Even though he already has unofficially called it quits.

“Just this past year [I retired],” Law told Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald.  “It’s pretty much official.  I’ll tell you, I had an opportunity to play last year, but it just wasn’t the right time.  I said, it’s time to call it a career, but hopefully, I’ll get the opportunity to officially retire as a Patriot.  That’s my ultimate goal right now.”

But Rapoport points out that the Pats haven’t recently handed out one-day retirement deals.  Law, who has played for the Jets (2005 and 2008), Chiefs (2006-07), and Broncos (2009) since leaving New England, doesn’t seem to be deterred by that fact.

“That’s one of the reasons I haven’t officially turned my papers in because I would like to at least say the last contract I signed was with New England,” Law said.  “That would be an honor if I was able to do that, if Mr. [Robert] Kraft was to bless me with something like that, that would be the icing on the cake for a 15-year career.”

Arriving at the same event Law was attending (Law was honored as part of The Sport’s Museum’s 10th annual Tradition Awards), Kraft said of Law, “To me, he is a Patriot.  He will always be a Patriot.”

That could be interpreted two ways.  First, it could mean that Kraft will agree to the request.  Second, it could mean that Kraft doesn’t believe a ceremonial contract is necessary to confirm Law’s status with the franchise.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
22 Responses to “Ty Law wants to retire as a Patriot”
  1. nepatriots128154 says: Jun 28, 2011 9:36 PM

Give me 1 good reason he shouldn’t be able to have that contract. I don’t see one.

2. cidman2001 says: Jun 28, 2011 9:51 PM

Ummmmm…..he’s not on the team anymore. :)

3. richm2256 says: Jun 28, 2011 10:05 PM

nepatriots128154 says:

————————————————
    Here’s your “one good reason”, dumba$$:

He LEFT New England of his own accord.

He wasn’t cut, he wasn’t traded; he CHASED THE DOLLARS.

Sorry Ty, you don’t get to come back after saying a big “F- You” to Kraft, BB and the great New England fans, no matter what Bob says publicly.

4. richm2256 says: Jun 28, 2011 10:10 PM

My mistake, Law WAS released, when he wouldn’t budge off his $12.5 million contract after missing his last 12 games as a Patriot.

So it was a diferent form of greedy that caused him to leave. Greed still was his choice though.

5. all4patriots says: Jun 28, 2011 10:16 PM

It would be nice to have him in for a day, and maybe invite Peyton Manning in to throw him another interception, for old times sake

6. j0esixpack says: Jun 28, 2011 10:40 PM

It seems like Law has matured a lot since his heated contract negotiations back in 2004 when he spoke poorly of Belichick and the organization over his desire for a contract extension.

7. PFTiswhatitis says: Jun 28, 2011 10:47 PM

Here’s another reason: He played for the stinking GREEN JETS.

8. nepatriots128154 says: Jun 28, 2011 10:47 PM

@richm2256

Are you that quick to throw out what he did as a Pat? The dude had one of the biggest INTs in Super Bowl history and played a huge part in a monster upset. Then he picked off Peyton Manning 3 times in the AFCCG. He missed his final 12 games after giving everything he could have when he played. Are you going to throw all that out and deny his retiring as a Patriot just because he didn’t want to change his contract?

9. undeadjesus says: Jun 28, 2011 11:07 PM

holy crap, this guy is still playing?!

10. patsforlife says: Jun 29, 2011 12:03 AM

I love Ty and appreciate what he did for the Patriots, but I remember the Pats tried to bring him back a couple of years ago but he chose KC, and later the Jets, instead. Its his fault he didn’t retire a Patriot. If they do decide to bring him back for a day, I wouldn’t object to it though.

11. richm2256 says: Jun 29, 2011 1:47 AM

nepatriots128154 says:
    @richm2256

————————————————–

Two words:

Hell, yes.

12. gimmeabruschi says: Jun 29, 2011 6:17 AM

Of course Ty should be offered a 1 day contract to retire as a Patriot. End of story.

13. rcunningham says: Jun 29, 2011 8:14 AM

richm2256 says:
    Jun 29, 2011 1:47 AM

Two words:

Hell, yes.

You’re an idiot.

14. rc33 says: Jun 29, 2011 8:58 AM

I can’t really fault a guy for taking the higher offer with limited time left in his career. That’s what he did when he left NE to play with KC and the Jets. A great player for the Patriots though and if I were Kraft I’d have no problem doing this. Maybe have it on the same day they do a similar retirement for McGinest, who’s said he’d like to do the same.

15. killxswitch says: Jun 29, 2011 9:19 AM

richm2256, have you ever watched The Price is Right? You know when someone screws up and the trombone plays that “FAIL” noise? They’re really playing for you. Every time.

As a Colts fan, I hated Ty Law. But it would seem wrong for him to retire as anything but a Patriot. He was a big part of the team that really got the Colts/Pats rivalry going. No single player ever came close to dominating Manning like Law did.

16. 1buckeye76 says: Jun 29, 2011 9:45 AM

undeadjesus says: Jun 28, 2011 11:07 PM

holy crap, this guy is still playing?!

——————————-

um, no. it said he never played last year.

17. CKL says: Jun 29, 2011 9:56 AM

Ty Law was a great, great player who I loved to watch but….calling your HC a liar in public doesn’t exactly lend itself to having you retire as a Patriot. I’d let Willie Mac do it long before Ty.

As for his going to the Jets I can’t blame a guy for going somewhere where he makes the most $$$ possible after the team cuts him. Is he supposed to say, “I will take a lower contract so I don’t play for a rival?” Not too many people would do that. It’s a business. Sure maybe there was an “FU BB” factor in there too but much as I DESPISE the Jets…meh.

18. chadmurdigan says: Jun 29, 2011 10:22 AM

I wonder if Randy Moss will ask for a similar one day contract when he’s ready to pull the plug?

19. homelanddefense says: Jun 29, 2011 10:26 AM

Im sorry but I just dont understand these one day contracts. They are worthless, you dont retire as a member of the team unless you play for that team.

Im glad he thinks of himself as a Patriot, and as a fan Im grateful for him helping the Pats win a title.

But signing a peace of paper with no intent of actually playing just seems cheap to me. I know tons of guys do it, just doesnt make sense to me.

20. CKL says: Jun 29, 2011 12:19 PM

Homeland, I hear ya…it’s kind of like a wedding ring…IMO it’s just an outward symbol of your mutual commitment/faithfulness etc. Since NFL players don’t go into the HOF as a member of any team, it’s more just a nod to their loyalties (both ways). Plus it’s a chance for a longtime team member to have sort of a formal retirement “ceremony” with their favorite team for which I cannot blame them.

21. patsandsox says: Jun 29, 2011 3:09 PM

I think Willie deserves it more but I would like to see them do it for both of them.

I seems painfull to have a Colts fan point out how idiotic some Patriot fans are. I have disagreed with my boss before and was able to work out the problem. From what I remember him and BB buried the hatchet a few years back.

Great player for the Patriots, almost single handedly beat Manning on a cold Foxboro sunday. Returned a pick for a td in our first superbowl win just to point out a few things Ty did for the team.
    It would make for another nice ceremony one Sunday this fall, Do it!!

22. richm2256 says: Jun 29, 2011 10:50 PM

rcunningham says:

You’re an idiot.
    ————————————————-
    And you – R. Cunningham – are speaking as a hard-core Patriots fan, right?

Moron.

killxswitch says:
    ————————————————-
    Apparently anyone over 15, or not a loser, doesn’t watch “The Price is Right” to KNOW this.

Moron.

I love how all these fans of other teams are coming on here and posting about whether Law should be allowed to retire as a Patriot.

You pretty much need to be a Patriots fan to have a qualified opinion on this, morons.

Am I suggesting Law didn’t own Manning’s jock? Hell, no. Of course he did.

But he skipped town for a fat paycheck, and never looked back …… until now.

He was great, he was a key part of the Super Bowl for New England, but he’s a rat ba$tard that can never come home again.

Like the man said, HE PLAYED FOR THE FRICKIN’ JETS !!!!!!!!