Glazer: De Smith tells elite players a deal isn’t close

Roger Goodell, DeMaurice Smith, AP

Last week, after NFLPA* executive director DeMaurice Smith conducted a conference call with players, we reported that Smith told the players “don’t believe the hype,” and that a labor deal isn’t close.  Earlier today, we reported that the process remains far from over, in large part because the players believe the owners are taking advantage of the sense that a deal is inevitable in order to put the screws to the players on some of the various pending issues.

Sure, we’ve also been looking for signs of optimism in the reports from other news organizations.  And there have been plenty of signs of optimism in the reports from other news organizations.

Until tonight.

Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com reports that Smith conducted on Tuesday night a secret (well, not-so-secret) conference to which 50 Pro Bowlers received a call-in number.  Per Glazer, Smith told the players, as we reported he told players last week, that a deal is not close.

Curiously, Glazer’s report is being met with skepticism in some circles.  Our buddy Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com, who at one point earlier this month wrote that some folks involved in the talks believed a deal could come in a matter of days, opined that “D-Smith is trying to play us,” adding that Smith “knew details of call would leak, right?”  Added Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com, “I don’t buy it.  He’s just acting like a tough guy.”

Also, Albert Breer of NFL Network wrote earlier tonight that the arrival of owners and players in Minnesota for talks on Thursday “seem[s] to be very encouraging news.”  After Glazer’s report arose, Breer said he “[c]an’t believe the hysterics I’m seeing here on the CBA talks.  Calm.  Down.  Folks. . . .  [L]et’s settle down.  Players, owners have ridden out bumps over last week.”

Smith’s concern seems to be that the owners have assumed that the players will take whatever the league’s last, best offer will be, because the players are antsy to get this thing done.  And that’s causing some to think that Smith’s overriding objective at this point is to get the players — and the media — to believe that things aren’t close, even if they are.

The reality, as we’ll explain in a separate post, is that the parties aren’t close.  As you might imagine, each side has a version as to why the two sides aren’t close.  The players’ version is set forth above.  Before I call it a night, I’ll share what I think is the owners’ version at this point.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
40 Responses to “Glazer: De Smith tells elite players a deal isn’t close”
  1. trbowman says: Jun 29, 2011 11:20 PM

And I now present your daily dose of cold water….

2. boneyardbuc says: Jun 29, 2011 11:21 PM

The Earth is bi-polar…

3. footballfanatic3431 says: Jun 29, 2011 11:22 PM

So now we’re not close anymore?

This is the roller coast ride from hell.

4. elleclouds says: Jun 29, 2011 11:23 PM

Who cares. It’s just a sport. If football doesn’t return this fall, I’ll be learning computer programming, what will you be doing?

5. deadeye says: Jun 29, 2011 11:26 PM

Why are the owners the ones being described as “desperate” to get a deal done? Once the players miss their first paycheck (if it comes to that) they will be at least as desperate as the owners, if not more so. PFT is so pro-union it’s absurd.

6. philyeagles5 says: Jun 29, 2011 11:28 PM

boneyardbuc says:
    Jun 29, 2011 11:21 PM
    The Earth is bi-polar…

———————————

Bi-winning?

7. thephantomstranger says: Jun 29, 2011 11:33 PM

Wait. You told us there would be a deal on June 30. That’s tomorrow. I’m holding you to that.

8. theallegedone says: Jun 29, 2011 11:37 PM

One of these days Drew Brees and the rest of the player reps are gonna wake up and realize that this man IS SINGLE HANDEDLY RUINING FOOTBALL. The longer this drags out, the more money and more exposure he gets. Big mistake electing this man head of the NFLPA. Hope college football is good this year.

9. Rhode Island Patriots Fan says: Jun 29, 2011 11:37 PM

Does this mean that the “prophecy” foretelling of an agreement in principle by June 30th—i.e., tomorrow—may not be fulfilled?

10. bpjensen says: Jun 29, 2011 11:38 PM

The bizarre thing about this is why would only 50 Pro Bowl players receive a conference call number if Smith were updating them on the status of negotiations? Why does Pro Bowl status mean anything and why would it not be all Pro Bowl players? Why would it not be all players?

I would think you would conduct a conference call with each teams union* rep.

11. eastsideballa says: Jun 29, 2011 11:40 PM

F*** De smith its all his fault…NFL players are employees just like the rest of us so get the F*** back to work!!!!!

12. hobartbaker says: Jun 29, 2011 11:43 PM

The hook coming out from exit stage left, but Mo dodges and darts to prolong his 15 minutes. Like an insect with night falling all around it.

13. downsouth49er says: Jun 29, 2011 11:53 PM

I like how PFT post these optimistic views about the CBA and then turn around and stick a pin in the balloon.

14. vikescry1 says: Jun 29, 2011 11:54 PM

echo echo….

15. endzonezombie says: Jun 29, 2011 11:55 PM

Glazier is an A-hole.

16. evrybdyhas1 says: Jun 29, 2011 11:55 PM

Once again more Crap for us the Crap eating fans.

17. rajbais says: Jun 29, 2011 11:59 PM

Told ya’ Mike Freeman was an idiot!!!

Jay Glazer may have gone to Pace College (NY), but at least he went to college unlike Freeman!!!!!!

18. brothaman1 says: Jun 30, 2011 12:00 AM

De Smith is in the resentment column of my 5th step inventory

19. rajbais says: Jun 30, 2011 12:01 AM

Tip for Freeman: don’t make yourself look unlikeable because reliable sources only come to you when you are.

Jay might be weird or not palatable for some people, but at least he makes himself “franchise friendly”!!!

20. discosucs2005 says: Jun 30, 2011 12:03 AM

@elleclouds

So you couldn’t learn computer programming if there was a football season?

21. semperfido says: Jun 30, 2011 12:04 AM

If those greedy SOBs can’t figure out how to split that pot I’m through with them.

With the players becoming so big and so fast, the “game” has become less a sport than a big gladiator match, with the team with the fewest injuries winning. If I wanted that there’s ice hockey.

22. goawayeverybody says: Jun 30, 2011 12:11 AM

Sigh.

23. gd2483 says: Jun 30, 2011 12:15 AM

Yeah, Glazer also said that there wasn’t a chance that Shawn Merriman would EVER resign with the Bills.

24. warhorse007 says: Jun 30, 2011 12:18 AM

Little bit of intrigue in my book.
    Pure speculation, but Smith strikes me as a man who wants to make a mark. From the derby on his head in our day and age, to the constant instigating he did with his words early on in the process, this guy better be watched.

I would not be surprised if this new tactic of friendliness in the eyes of the media with Roger Goodell, and the 180 degree turn from instigator to image of hope is all about the snake hypnotizing its prey.

Mark my words. De Maurice looks at Upshaw every day.

And I do not believe he at all wants to be known as the man who got stepped on by the owners.

As his toughguy tactics began to turn public image against the players, this new strategy of being nice……killing time……is merely a ploy to be able to say later, “in the end, the owners were too greedy. We tried our best. What has happened, has happened because of the owners.”

Smith doesnt care about football. Smith cares about himself.

I hope Im wrong…………

25. brooklynbully says: Jun 30, 2011 12:19 AM

real talk i feel like punching de smith in the face right now .

26. cheezheadz says: Jun 30, 2011 12:22 AM

semperfido says: Jun 30, 2011 12:04 AM

——————————————–

How does that explain the Packers winning this last season with all of their injuries?

27. skins3yearplan says: Jun 30, 2011 12:36 AM

Suddenly, I’m a bigger fan of my Washington Nationals. F these clowns!

28. wigwam101 says: Jun 30, 2011 12:39 AM

DeMaurice Smith is Debbie Downer’s dream man.

29. ghult says: Jun 30, 2011 12:45 AM

The rich fighting with the super rich. What a complete waste! Cancel the Season!

30. ravensfan4life52 says: Jun 30, 2011 12:52 AM

@elleclouds

i’ll probably be crying myself to sleep lol

31. alberthaynesworth says: Jun 30, 2011 12:56 AM

Wah! There is a lockout! I dont get to hear about free agency! Wah! I don’t get to read ota reports!

Seriously this whole lockout has really brought out the true colors of some of you fans. They havent missed anything of great importance. All you whiny babies need to get a life. Losers.

32. alberthaynesworth says: Jun 30, 2011 12:58 AM

Then go watch hockey jar head! Damn y’all are a bunch of babies.

33. mathsimillion says: Jun 30, 2011 8:28 AM

One missed regular season game and I’m out. I’ll not support this sport if they can have such blatant disrespect for the fans who make it run.

I’ve never watched a baseball game since they ruined it back in the past and I’ve been just fine.

Unbelievable that these guys can’t figure this out.

34. okieplus4 says: Jun 30, 2011 8:38 AM

It seems these a-holes spend more time “leaking not so secret information” than they do negotiating. Get it done already!!!

35. CKL says: Jun 30, 2011 8:50 AM

Hmmm for the first time ever I find myself agreeing with someone named “alberthaynesworth” thus proving the lockout makes strange bedfellows. :)

Hint: if you are on here complaining about how you ain’t gonna watch the NFL and you don’t care (or its cousin in opposites “I could care less”), why post here at all? The opposite of love isn’t hate, it’s indifference. Second hint: YOU DO CARE. To all the peeps being so dramatic, you remind me of Steve Martin’s rant in “The Jerk”. I DON’T NEED YOU…I JUST NEED…this lamp…oh yeah and this toy…” etc.

36. echoplex89 says: Jun 30, 2011 9:27 AM

I believe him. The owners used the not so secret meetings as a way to heal their public image even though they hadn’t changed and are still offering pretty much the same deal.

37. bsreimer says: Jun 30, 2011 9:29 AM

semperfido says:
    Jun 30, 2011 12:04 AM

————————-

Even though I hate this article like the rest of you, I thought I’d give my two cents and say, “semperfido, you moron, what season did you watch last year?” The Packers won the whole damn thing w/ 15 players on IR…

38. nudeman says: Jun 30, 2011 11:07 AM

Told ya.
    But only about 12 times now.

“Optimism surrounding the talks” was vague and written by amateurs.

Nothing will get settled until people start losing money. Period. Mid Sept, at the earliest.

Sorry.

I love the tidbit the other day about “we’re 85% of the way there”. Yes, that would be the 85% that says games will be played on Sundays, players are allowed to wear shoulder pads, and it’s still 6 points for a TD.

39. bubbabart says: Jun 30, 2011 11:11 AM

semperfido (The cameraman in his squad…every squad has one) is right….GB winning or not, many players are cheating to high heaven…..Olympic drug testing needs to be done this year!

40. finsbooyah says: Jun 30, 2011 11:30 AM

elleclouds says:
    Jun 29, 2011 11:23 PM

================================

So, you can’t learn computer programming if there’s a football season? That just goes to show how lazy some people are.

I’ll be (hopefully) opening a new small business this year. It’s alot of work, but it’ll happen whether there’s a season or not. And guess what… I’ll still watch football every Sunday.