Plaxico Burress gives eye-opening speech to rookies

Plaxico Burress & The National Urban League Press Conference Getty Images

Today’s speakers at the NFLPA* rookie symposium included a man whose life can serve as a cautionary tale: Plaxico Burress.

Burress talked to the assembled 2011 NFL draft picks and told them about the consequences of bad decisions, namely his bad decision to illegally carry a gun into a New York City nightclub, leading to a two-year prison sentence.

“I’ve been a big fan of Plaxico Burress since I was a kid,” Broncos rookie linebacker Von Miller told Jim Trotter of Sports Illustrated. “It’s a nightmare story, but I think all of us rookies can learn from that.”

Rod Issac, a cornerback drafted by the Jaguars in the fifth round, wrote on Twitter that Burress is “one real dude and I have much respect for that brother.”

Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News passes along comments from new Redskins defensive end Ryan Kerrigan, who said on SiriusXM NFL Radio that Burress gave an “eye-opening” speech and said of that night when he brought the gun to the nightclub, “I would’ve never left the house if I could do it all over again.”

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
28 Responses to “Plaxico Burress gives eye-opening speech to rookies”
  1. tinkletinkleonyourstar says: Jun 29, 2011 7:54 PM

Giants fan here hoping Plax has success wherever he lands (unless it’s in the nfc east).
    I’ve said it before but it sounds like he’s learned from his mistakes.
    Good luck Plax and thanks for 42.

2. lionfan419 says: Jun 29, 2011 7:54 PM

good story and always liekd the guy. Owned his bad decision and hope the best for him.

3. corvusrex96 says: Jun 29, 2011 8:07 PM

This is one instance where you cannot say that the rich privledged athlete got preferential treatment.
    Bad enough to shoot yourself in the leg but to spend so much time behind bars for doing it is just brutal.

The law is the law, but he certainly paid his debt to society

4. scott8nj says: Jun 29, 2011 8:08 PM

I’m not a hater, but I’m not a huge fan of Plax because, to put it nicely he was a troublesome employee before the incident that got him arrested. But, if he learned something and does the right things now, I wish him all the best.

5. cosanostra71 says: Jun 29, 2011 8:09 PM

I still think his worst decision was wearing sweatpants at a nightclub.

6. pacificamjr says: Jun 29, 2011 8:17 PM

Plax to the 2011-12 NFC North Champion Deeeeeeeetroit Lions!

7. jarobinewsome says: Jun 29, 2011 8:24 PM

I hope he gets a chance to play in the league again…
    It seems as he has learned a valuable lesson that NO ONE is above the law. But I think that a 2 year sentence was a bit excessive.

8. eaglesfan290 says: Jun 29, 2011 8:26 PM

I’m glad he is trying to help the rookies!

Best of luck this year Plax, I hope you come back strong!

9. semperfi24 says: Jun 29, 2011 8:28 PM

_________________________________

Did Von cry for 17 minutes before he was able toc ompose himself enough to make a statement, similar to his draft day performance?

10. thetooloftools says: Jun 29, 2011 8:28 PM

He’s just trying to rebuild his image so someone will pick him up. I heard his jail cell was a pig stye and he didn’t care.
    I just think this is a public relations pump and he will go back to being a ME guy.
    I’m signing Randy Moss or T.O. before this guy and even then your playing with fire.
    I wish him well though…

11. jebdamone says: Jun 29, 2011 8:28 PM

have liked plaxico since he was with the steelers. always seemed like a pretty good guy and a true professional. but he made a dumb mistake one night in a club and payed for it. glad to see he is out and sharing his experience and hope that he does still have enough left in the tank to play a few more years. i would love to have him lining up across from sid with percy in the slot but will root for him to be successful wherever he goes.

12. pitch87mph says: Jun 29, 2011 8:30 PM

It is indeed a cautionary tale! I’m sure the same can be said of so many people that had something “accidental” happen. Whether it be a DUI (or worse–a DUI accident where someone is hurt/killed), or something more innocuous. But the reality is that it’s likely this was not the FIRST time he took a gun into a club (just like the person who has the DUI accident is unlikely to have been the first time they ever drove drunk–see the Jackass star who recently died tragically). It’s unfortunate we don’t learn from other people’s mistakes–or that we tend to repeat our own mistakes that we “get away with”. We always think “we” are different and it “won’t happen to me”. Hopefully, Plaxico got through to some of these guys and made them realize that they aren’t… and time and chance, happens to us all!

13. garrettmustgo says: Jun 29, 2011 8:34 PM

im a cowboys fan so im used to hating this guy but i must say he more than payed his debts. Class act sharing his misfortunes with the rookies. After hearing that i wish him nothing but the best, St. Louis is his perfect landing spot.

14. purplereign28 says: Jun 29, 2011 8:43 PM

pacificamjr says:
    Jun 29, 2011 8:17 PM

Plax to the 2011-12 NFC North Champion Deeeeeeeetroit Lions!

______________________________________________

Ha, good luck with that.

15. RussianBreadMaker says: Jun 29, 2011 9:13 PM

I played against Plex in High School and I always thought that he was a nasty defender. Never in a million years thought that he would turn out to be a WR.

16. paulbrownsrevenge says: Jun 29, 2011 9:13 PM

wherever he ends up i hope hard knocks is at his camp, imagine all the “shot myself in the….” Jokes there would be, Rex Ryan wouldn’t want Plax to shoot those pretty feet.

17. j0esixpack says: Jun 29, 2011 10:03 PM

Burress has a long way to go to earn some respect as a man – he’s got a long list of A-hole moves prior to the gun incident to make up for….

But let’s give credit where it’s due – he served his time (more time than fit the crime) – and seems to be looking at his release as a chance to start over…

… and although he could have laid low and said nothing, he stepped forward in front of the rookies, accepted responsibility for his actions, accepted the consequences and is now trying to help others learn from his mistakes.

That’s what a man does and hat’s a good fresh start for Burress. I’m not convinced he’s changed yet – but he deserves credit for a very good start.

Well done.

18. abninf says: Jun 29, 2011 10:21 PM

jebdamone says: Jun 29, 2011 8:28 PM

—————————————————–

He was fined 40-50 times by the Giants for breaking team rules. Yeah, a true professional.

19. gcsuk says: Jun 29, 2011 10:39 PM

thetooloftools says:
    Jun 29, 2011 8:28 PM
    ————————————————-

First, where do you get your “inside information” that you heard his jail cell was a “pig stye” (by the way, no “e”, and “pigsty” is one word).

Second, you’re going to take Randy Moss (who has openly admitted to taking plays off, basically took off EVERY play with the Titans last year, and has been as big of a distraction as any WR in the league) or TO (who just tore his Achilles and will probably retire) before you take Plax (who is hungry and has something to actually play for) on your team. VEEERRRRYYYY sound business decision.

As a Giants fan, I hope you are the GM of the Eagles, the Redskins, or the Cowboys.

20. powderedme says: Jun 29, 2011 10:44 PM

Say what you will about the seriousness and/or validity of what he went to jail for; but he seems to have really matured.

I wish he’d come back to Big Blue– but I hope for nothing but success for him wherever he plays.

Stay classy, Plax!

21. hobartbaker says: Jun 29, 2011 10:59 PM

Plax takes the Snoop Dogg route, going so far wrong he broke clean through to lovable.

22. dyna42 says: Jun 29, 2011 11:10 PM

Plax…head out your house to Minnesota. Dungy and Frasier are calling….

23. mjkelly77 says: Jun 29, 2011 11:22 PM

Plaxico was heard to say” “If I ever catch the guy that shot me I’ll kick his a$$.”

24. mavens71 says: Jun 29, 2011 11:47 PM

RussianBreadMaker says:
    Jun 29, 2011 9:13 PM

66 iRate This

++++++++++++

Solid post Al Bundy.

Plax prolly never thought in a million years that he was lined up against a guy who would eventually end up with a 279 lifetime bowling average, and an alleged “career” that required he have his first name ironed on to the front of his shirt.

25. whatswiththehate says: Jun 30, 2011 12:06 AM

gcsuk says:Jun 29, 2011 10:39 PM

thetooloftools says:
    Jun 29, 2011 8:28 PM
    ————————–
    I now see why so many of you are so quick to believe every piece of uncheck facts thrown out by the sport media. You’re just as perverted in your thinking. And sadly, spreading false gossip for attention is the new “in” thing to do.

26. supashug says: Jun 30, 2011 9:04 AM

I am sure being someones bitch for 2 years will make you want to look back not so fondly on what put you there. Hope he can turn straight again for his wife and kids

27. knucklebucket says: Jun 30, 2011 9:45 AM

I know Plax was a bit of a punk, but he has paid his price for a very stupid mistake. He’s lucky he only shot himself. Hopefully his time away has opened his eyes to the error of his ways.

Did he mention the use of a safety on guns to the rookies? Just wondering….

28. granadafan says: Jun 30, 2011 4:13 PM

“Burress gave an “eye-opening” speech and said of that night when he brought the gun to the nightclub, “I would’ve never left the house if I could do it all over again.”
    ——————————————————————————————

If Green Bay makes to terrible decision to allow NRA loving fans to bring guns into Lambeau Field, there will a few fans saying something very similar after a couple tragic incidences. No, criminals aren’t always the ones who have guns and use them wrongly.