Gerald McCoy and Roger Goodell are buddies, lockout or not

Gerald McCoy, Sean Jones AP

After DeMaurice Smith and Roger Goodell spoke to NFL draft picks Wednesday, they made a surprise trip to the Bucs’ informal minicamp at IMG Academies.

While Smith greeted the players, Goodell mostly stayed on the sidelines according to Stephen Holder of the St. Petersburg Times.  That makes sense because of the tension between players and Goodell at the moment, but at least one Bucs player was happy to see Goodell.

Defensive tackle Gerald McCoy went to the sideline to give Goodell a bear hug, much like the one he gave Goodell at the draft last year.

“I don’t know how my teammates feel about me right now,” McCoy said. “I was his friend before the lockout. I’m not going to not be his friend because of the lockout. . . . But he was with Smith, so that’s a good sign. I’m optimistic about that. When I saw him, I gave him a hug and everybody was like, ‘Really?’ I don’t care. They’ll get over it.”

It’s good to see that even a work stoppage can’t hold down a true bromance like the one McCoy and Goodell share.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
13 Responses to “Gerald McCoy and Roger Goodell are buddies, lockout or not”
  1. medtxpack says: Jun 30, 2011 5:11 PM

i think McCoy gets it…

2. hobartbaker says: Jun 30, 2011 5:27 PM

I think it was McCoy who started the whole Hug The Commish trend. He’ll be the answer to a trivia question.

3. bluvayner says: Jun 30, 2011 5:27 PM

Do you think that Goodell recognized him without being told?

4. bradentonbuc says: Jun 30, 2011 5:58 PM

Goodell is just doing his job. He’s a mouthpiece, not the one making the decisions.

5. annnann says: Jun 30, 2011 6:16 PM

I think it was pretty childish for other players to give McCoy a hard time for it. I mean, at one point owners and players are going to have to work together. For teams to be successful, players and owner can’t keep on hating and hold grudges. What kind of working environment would that be?

As the previous comment stated: McCoy gets it.

6. sammyias says: Jun 30, 2011 6:32 PM

““I don’t know how my teammates feel about me right now,” McCoy said. “I was his friend before the lockout. I’m not going to not be his friend because of the lockout.”

Free thinking should be banned.

7. johnnyoclock says: Jun 30, 2011 8:16 PM

Gee maybe if the players and their representation would’ve been as openminded and mature none of of this would have gone this far. Think?

Nahhh of course not. That’s not possible.

8. sethb222 says: Jun 30, 2011 8:56 PM

It wasn’t a Bear Hug, it was a pick pocket…

Mini Camp on Goodell…

Well Played Mr. McCoy

Your move Roger…

9. realitypolice says: Jun 30, 2011 9:05 PM

Why would any player hold this negotiation personally against Goodell?

He is simply carrying out his responsibilities as an employee of the NFL owners.

That’s why Smith and Goodell are being so chummy. They are colleagues, each employed to head by an entity that is in partnership with another. They have far more in common with each other than they have with their constituencies, especially in the case of Smith.

This is a negotiation, not a war. And it has gone exactly according to plan. It will be settled in time for the Hall of Fame game and both sides will claim victory.

And all the disappointed chicken littles can scurry on over to Pro Basketball Talk, where the sky really is falling.

10. lostsok says: Jun 30, 2011 11:07 PM

“Why would any player hold this negotiation personally against Goodell?”

You could reword that:

Why would any fan hold this negotiation personally against DeSmith?

And yet…they do.

This is a labor negotiation. They are hard, long, tedious, and sometimes very, very contentious. But that’s life IN A DEMOCRACY.

I just don’t know why that’s so hard for some people.

But, either way, bit props to McCoy for being a decent human being.

11. jebdamone says: Jun 30, 2011 11:25 PM

that bear hug on draft night was truly epic.

12. nolanorth says: Jul 1, 2011 2:51 AM

Hey “lostsok”

Why do fans hold a grudge against D. Smith?

Because were clearly more educated than most and are able to look at the big picture. Not to mention were not spoiled un-educated (even though most received a FREE education) brat athletes acting like little children blaming Roger for everything even though he is just a Commissioner and doesn’t own the league, he just governs and enforces it’s rules and regulations!

So Mr. Smith go climb Brokeback mountain!!!

13. realitypolice says: Jul 1, 2011 9:15 AM

@lostsok:

I agree completely. Both men are doing the jobs they are being paid to do.