Green Bay police not sure if guns will be allowed at Lambeau

Super Bowl Football AP

Wisconsin has just passed a law allowing people to carry concealed guns, and that has the police in Green Bay wondering whether they can stop people from carrying guns into Lambeau Field.

“Right now we’re dissecting the law. We are reading it. We’re going to consult with the city’s attorneys, with the Packers organization,” Green Bay Police Captain Paul Ebel told Fox 11. “I think common sense will prevail in something like that.”

Assuming that common sense will prevail is probably not a good idea, because when it comes to issues relating to guns, there are sharp disagreements on what constitutes “common sense.” Some people think it’s common sense that no one should have the right to carry a gun into a football stadium. Other people think it’s common sense that no one should be deprived of the right to carry a gun into a football stadium.

According to Fox 11, the NFL has a policy that fans aren’t allowed to carry guns into any stadium. But depending on how Wisconsin’s new law is interpreted, the NFL may not have the right to enforce that policy: The stadium is owned by the City of Green Bay and Green Bay/Brown County Professional Football Stadium District, not the NFL.

The Stadium District’s executive director, Pat Webb, said he’s not sure what the new law means.

“I don’t know enough about Wisconsin’s specific law to know if the stadiums are exempt or not or can be exempt,” Webb said.

They’ll need to figure that out before the law takes effect this fall.

Permalink 124 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
124 Responses to “Green Bay police not sure if guns will be allowed at Lambeau”
  1. wetdentist says: Jun 30, 2011 11:21 AM

why not bring guns into stadiums? wingnut gun freaks demand guns in bars and churches!

2. willycents says: Jun 30, 2011 11:25 AM

“Romo is dropping back to pass, weait, wait, Romo is dropped as he drops back to pass.”

And I am pro gun, but, some limits are reasonable. Problem is, define “reasonable” please.

3. jw731 says: Jun 30, 2011 11:26 AM

Why the hell would anyone need a gun at an NFL game?…….Well, besides Plaxico and Talib’s mom…

4. wigwam101 says: Jun 30, 2011 11:28 AM

How about bringing the player reps and owners to Lambeau Field and let the fans fill the stands with their concealed weapons at hand. I bet a deal would be done in no time.

5. dempsey63 says: Jun 30, 2011 11:30 AM

“Go ahead and cheer for your Bears. Do you feel lucky…punk?”

6. aequitas83 says: Jun 30, 2011 11:30 AM

Yeah… 70,000 people, alcohol flowing before and during the game like ti’s Niagara Falls, pissed off fans, and guns. Absolutely nothing could go wrong here.

7. vikefan says: Jun 30, 2011 11:31 AM

a bunch of drunks possibly getting ticked off in freezing cold from maybe seeing their favorite team losing allowed to have guns in at a mass public venue with limited exit access……..mmmmmm.

Personally doubt it, MN passed it also but was immediately banned in all gov’t buildings and most large public ones such as stadiums.

8. schmitty2 says: Jun 30, 2011 11:34 AM

No way can that be allowed. Even though Pack fans are generally pretty kick back just imagine some drunk guy harassing a family and Papa pulls out his Colt 45 and puts him out of his misery

9. bordner says: Jun 30, 2011 11:35 AM

Whether it’s legal or not – you DON’T need to bring your gun to a football game!!!! (well… maybe if you’re in Oakland)

10. crohrbaugh says: Jun 30, 2011 11:36 AM

Absolutely idiotic, the same kind of people who think you should be able to carry a gun into a bar.

11. salmen76 says: Jun 30, 2011 11:39 AM

Well, i’m all for having the right to carry a concealed weapon. If all the crooks assume all the citizens “could” be packing a weapon crime might just go down. And lots of people will be able to protect their life and their familys life. However, most NFL fans (myself included) are very serious about the teams they cheer for. Combining that devotion/emotion with alchohol and the carnival atmosphere of a live NFL football game in an NFL stadium could spell disaster if a fan gets angry at another fan and decides to shoot him! Then that’ll be the end of bringing guns into stadiums. Geaux Saints!

12. bolt4life says: Jun 30, 2011 11:46 AM

I’m all for the rights to carry weapons for self defense. But at a football game that is too many drunk idiot fights that people usually get over the next day. I wouldn’t feel safe if I knew someone could legally have a gun at a football game. Then again, the security at stadiums never check you where you would actually carry a gun… or bomb. The “pat downs” before you enter are pretty useless.

13. mikea311 says: Jun 30, 2011 11:46 AM

its not people who have concealed permits or registered weapons we need to worry about.

14. tonymission says: Jun 30, 2011 11:48 AM

I’m very pro gun and very pro Packers, but come on…

You can’t drive while you’re drinking you definitely shouldn’t be carrying a gun while you’re drinking. Stadium or not… there’s nothing good that can happen with your gun at Lambeau Field.

15. theduuuuuuuuuude says: Jun 30, 2011 11:53 AM

I guess they found a way to keep the Vikings fans away from Lambeau

16. smoothjimmyapollo says: Jun 30, 2011 11:53 AM

“However, most NFL fans (myself included) are very serious about the teams they cheer for. Combining that devotion/emotion with alchohol and the carnival atmosphere of a live NFL football game in an NFL stadium could spell disaster if a fan gets angry at another fan and decides to shoot him!”

100% correct. Add to that opposing players, unpopular players on the team, unpopular calls by an official and it’s a recipe for disaster – especially with the copious amounts of alcohol consumed. I haven’t read the small print on a Packer ticket, but I’m sure that it has something along the lines of: “The Green Bay Packers reserve the right to…” and I’m sure it lists off all sorts of restrictions for entry into the stadium.

17. jbl429 says: Jun 30, 2011 11:55 AM

this article reminded me of the beginning of the Last Boy Scout

18. urlacherbacker says: Jun 30, 2011 11:56 AM

@wetdentist

Whatever you say buddy. I am a strong advocate of being able to legally carry a firearm. I have a concealed carry permit and usually always have a firearm on me. I have for years and it is so normal I consider it like having my car keys or my wallet on me. And no one knows that I carry whether it is in church or at Walmart. I cant carry in any place in my state where alcohol constitutes 50 % of a business’s profit. You know what? I could care less about going to those places. I dont drink and I dont break the law. There is a zero difference in my behavior whether I am carrying a firearm or not. To be perfectly honest though I would probably go more so out of my way to avoid a conflict when I am carrying because I know there that there are people like you that are going to try and provoke the worst reaction out of everyone just to prove your own pathetic agenda. Keep America free by supporting the Constitution.

19. calihawk says: Jun 30, 2011 11:56 AM

Breaking News…. Plaxico Burress has been signed by the Packers. Plaxico says he chose Green Bay because the team was just a perfect fit.

20. techstar25 says: Jun 30, 2011 11:58 AM

“the NFL may not have the right to enforce that policy”
    Yes but the city of Green Bay can’t force the NFL and it’s players to play in a stadium that allows guns in the stands.

21. allgreenbay says: Jun 30, 2011 11:58 AM

There are things I believe in. The Packers, The Right To Bear Arms…but above all, Common Sense.

I’m the first to admit, I have have broken a thing or two over the years while watching a football game. And I know I’ve broken a thing or two while drinking.

Mixing the two without a gun is dangerous enough and while I believe that most people carry a gun with responsibly it only takes ONE to change history. Lambeau is historic, hallowed, beloved and respected by all of the sports community. One bullet could destroy what took decades to build.

Personally, if any stadium should allow guns it should Dodgers Stadium…at least then the good guys would stand a chance.

22. bananaballs says: Jun 30, 2011 11:58 AM

Before jumping to conclusions I would wonder how other states with concealed carry laws deal with Guns being allowed or not allowed into stadiums. If there are examples of other Stadiums allowing concealed carry and obviously have had no issues then there shouldnt be an issue. Also if there are no cases of concealed carry being allowed then well theres no precedent for it to be allowed in Green Bay.

23. buckfigben says: Jun 30, 2011 12:00 PM

People that want to carry guns are the most scared people I know. They’re paranoid. Must have been victims or bullied their whole lives. Criminals don’t really care if anyone is carrying a gun, they’re desperate and at rock bottom. Your civil liberties are not on their list of things to consider if they want to rob you. Besides, you can’t even keep the lid from your bottle of water at most stadiums. Guns in bars?!? No wonder this country is a joke to most. We have a poor education system, and everyone can have a gun…doesn’t make a lot of sense…Yee HAW!!

24. melonnhead says: Jun 30, 2011 12:08 PM

Criminals don’t really care if anyone is carrying a gun

————————————————————————————————-

Sure, that’s why they always rob gun clubs and shooting ranges and mug cops.

25. hobartbaker says: Jun 30, 2011 12:08 PM

Plax wants to sign with the Packers now.

26. hobartbaker says: Jun 30, 2011 12:09 PM

Better look sharp out there Green Bay Packers, those fans won’t be throwing bottle caps at you anymore.

27. purpleguy says: Jun 30, 2011 12:10 PM

Although cheesers are generally a good natured sort, albeit a bit heavier in the beer drinking department than the average fan, this nonetheless is asking for trouble.

28. hobartbaker says: Jun 30, 2011 12:11 PM

They face an even trickier problem when the law to re-institute slavery passes in Wisconsin.

29. pftstory says: Jun 30, 2011 12:12 PM

Do we really think each and every stadium hosting a football game does not include a significant number of fans with guns?

Oh and by the way facts dont support the claim that criminals do not care if anyone is carrying a gun. The claim that criminals are at rock bottom also has zero facts to back it up.

You really cannot think of any (if not many) crimes (lets even say robberies) that were commited by people who had other means?

This is not saying we should just allow people into the stadiums with guns at will. But they are there now, and they are there now in the pockets of people who are drinking. But lets also not assume that the person carrying the gun does not have the sense to not get drunk.

30. danimalk82 says: Jun 30, 2011 12:12 PM

@bananaballs = Flight of the Conchords fan

31. hobartbaker says: Jun 30, 2011 12:12 PM

Eventually a compromise was reached where Packer fans were allowed to bring their guns into the Stadium, but had to tie up their horses outside.

32. capslockkey says: Jun 30, 2011 12:13 PM

I see no reason why the Packers won’t be able to ban guns from their stadium. Having the right to carry a concealed weapon doesn’t somehow trump a privately owned business’s right to refuse service for not following their rules. Carrying around a case of unopened beer in public is perfectly legal, but try bringing it into an NFL stadium. They passed a similar law in my state back in January, and now you see some loca businesses posting signs at the door saying “no firearms allowed” which is perfectly within their right to do so.

33. thephantomstranger says: Jun 30, 2011 12:14 PM

I’m all for the right to carry a gun and it’s been proven that this kind of law reduces the crime rate. Nevertheless, you have to draw the line at letting them into Lambeau. Could there be a place on earth in which more alcohol is consumed?

34. bolt4life says: Jun 30, 2011 12:15 PM

@buckfigben You really don’t understand the psychology of a criminal. 95% of them will avoid you being their target if they know you have a gun. It has nothing to do with being paranoid, it has everything to do with being prepared if anything to themselves or anyone else were to ever happen. People aren’t walking around always looking over their shoulder, but if you were getting the crap stabbed out of you (I know, on the internet you would kick everyone’s butt in real life), I would certainly come to your defense and fire off a warning shot first.

35. thejuddstir says: Jun 30, 2011 12:16 PM

Packer fan + cheap beer + guns= future reality show called “The Ultimate Redneck”

36. thephantomstranger says: Jun 30, 2011 12:17 PM

buckfigben says:
    Jun 30, 2011 12:00 PM
    __________________

Then why don’t you leave? A lot of the people I know who carry guns are former military, and these are people who have faced things that would make you crap your pants, you pathetic little loser.

37. dannymac17 says: Jun 30, 2011 12:23 PM

Well, when the Ravens play the Packers, someone is gonna have t0 tell Rey Lewis not to bring a knife to a gun fight.

38. killxswitch says: Jun 30, 2011 12:24 PM

I am pro-gun and pro-concealed-carry. But guns do not belong at NFL games. This shouldn’t even need to be discussed.

39. usmutts says: Jun 30, 2011 12:24 PM

Hey, Urlacherbacker, is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just glad to see…Urlacher?

40. nard100 says: Jun 30, 2011 12:29 PM

Let me get this straight. You pass some of the most anti-union labor in the country and then you turn around and make it so those most disenfranchised can carry conceal weapons?! Forget the NFL, this is a recipe for disaster.

41. huntdog04 says: Jun 30, 2011 12:30 PM

someone is going to die; simple

42. baronvonmonocle says: Jun 30, 2011 12:32 PM

43. sdboltaction says: Jun 30, 2011 12:36 PM

I’m from Orange County, CA (blah) and now reside in Chandler, AZ and here in AZ we were rated as having the worst gun laws in the country (which actually means we have the best and most rights to carry a firearm). Even here there are arbitrary lines of “Do Not Carry” signs at certain establishments, government buildings, sports venues, and schools. Now, you can carry into a restaurant or bar (that is not displaying a no guns sign) IF you’re not consuming alcohol. I have my CCW permit even though it isn’t required by law anymore and am a former Marine and I can say that drawing my weapon in a show of force let alone actually pulling the trigger is a last resort. EVEN IF I was drunk and in a football stadium rooting for my team and people are talking a hunch of crap, I guarantee you I have the discipline to NOT put a .50 Cal round through a few people’s chests. Come on….

44. canadianvikingfaniii says: Jun 30, 2011 12:37 PM

It shouldn’t even be a question as to whether or not they should allow them. Open alcohol, a mess of different emotions, not to mention they don’t do background checks on people when they purchase tickets. Anyone pretty much can go to a stadium venue..

Think of the children!

45. mvp43 says: Jun 30, 2011 12:40 PM

Rodgers lines up in the hand gun formation…

46. mushroomcloudmofo says: Jun 30, 2011 12:41 PM

I’m a pro-concealed carry liberal (yes, we exist), but this is asinine.

No way even our back assward state government will let this happen.

47. hobartbaker says: Jun 30, 2011 12:42 PM

Guns don’t kill people, fat drunk guys with yellow styrofoam wedges on their heads do.

48. carlsbadboltfan says: Jun 30, 2011 12:44 PM

In looking at the law it states:

“Under the bill, the state Department of Justice would have to issue permits to state residents 21 and over who got training and cleared background checks that showed they were not felons or otherwise prohibited from carrying guns.”

Other states with NFL stadiums have the same type of law on their books as well.

49. damnsureis says: Jun 30, 2011 12:45 PM

If the law takes precedence over the NFL’s rule over no guns in the stadium, can’t the NFL just say that no NFL games are to be played at Lambeau because it doesn’t meet the requirements of an NFL stadium?

And I would think that guns won’t be allowed in many government offices like the courthouse.

50. hobartbaker says: Jun 30, 2011 12:51 PM

Average Packer fan shouldn’t be allowed near sharp objects, much less loaded guns.

51. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Jun 30, 2011 12:52 PM

You are at a bar, or a football game or anything and the next Jared Laughner (sp) shows up with an automatic weapon. He begins firing at random people and after the second shot he is struck in the head by a bullet from the gun of a responsible gun owner. Several people saved. Simple enough.

52. winsb31 says: Jun 30, 2011 12:53 PM

see what happens when you let big lobbyists into politics??? idiots like the NRA think guns should be everywhere. COMPLETE MORONS!

53. Little Earthquake says: Jun 30, 2011 12:56 PM

I can ban guns from entering my home; Packers should be able to do the same.

54. arnoldziffel says: Jun 30, 2011 1:02 PM

Well yeah but … you know what all these wounded and dead children & adults lying bleeding in the stands and in the parking lot will mean … jobs, Jobs, JOBS!

Hey people … “Wisconsin is Open for Business!!”

55. ditkastache says: Jun 30, 2011 1:03 PM

Green Bay, Wisconsin: Village of dreams

56. granadafan says: Jun 30, 2011 1:08 PM

Terrible terrible idea. You can’t walk into a bank carrying a gun in Wisconsin, so you shouldn’t be able to carry guns into a football stadium where emotions run high with or without alcohol.

57. urlacherbacker says: Jun 30, 2011 1:17 PM

baronvonmonocle says:
    Jun 30, 2011 12:32 PM
    “The right to carry a gun shouldn’t preclude someone else’s right to decide what is and isn’t permitted on their premises. You can always place conditions on entry.”

Agreed. If the Packers, NFL, stadium owners etc. dont want to have firearms on their premises then dont allow them. I am as pro gun as anyone, but I am not advocating that I can tell a business or a person that I should be able to do whatever I want on their property. I would hope to God that a firearm would never be needed in an NFL stadium. If there is a decision to prohibit them then so be it.

58. Slackmo says: Jun 30, 2011 1:18 PM

Randy Moss will never moon Green Bay fans again.

59. rpiotr01 says: Jun 30, 2011 1:28 PM

If you’ve ever been to a game at Lambeau you’d know that Packer fans are the type of people that will hand over a spare gun to the fans of an opposing team, just to even things out. “Now, now… wouldn’t be fair otherwise…”

And I mean that in the best way possible. I miss Green Bay on a beautiful fall football weekend, nothing like it. Gotta make it back there soon.

60. jamie54 says: Jun 30, 2011 1:28 PM

Stupidest thing ever heard. Random terrorists would line up on suicide missions to be able to enter and wreak havoc in an open arena such as a football stadium. And then the public outcry and blame game would ensue as to who passed such a law, blah, blah. More thought out scenarios will ensue and clear the issue up before anything tragic will happen.

61. greenbayrob says: Jun 30, 2011 1:34 PM

when would u need a gun at a packer game? just shut up.

62. leroy36 says: Jun 30, 2011 1:36 PM

49 states now have concealed carry – the exception being Illinois. Everyone who feels safe in Chicago raise your hands. Come on, don’t be shy.

63. FinFan68 says: Jun 30, 2011 1:39 PM

Just because one has the right to carry a firearm does not give one the right to carry one anywhere/everywhere. If you choose to go to an establishment that prohibits guns then it is a personal choice. Keep the gun and don’t go or go in after you leave your guns in the car/home. It isn’t rocket science. Those that are arguing for this idiocy to be allowed are either incapable of logical/rational thought or they are simply trying to stir the pot for their own entertainment.

64. outlawjerseywhales says: Jun 30, 2011 1:47 PM

The situation is easily defused.
    Simply hand out the gats to everyone at the gate coming into the stadium that forgot and left theirs at home!

65. ubummer says: Jun 30, 2011 1:48 PM

When an issue is a divisive as this one is, people on both sides have to compromise. So I suggest that they allow guns in the stadium but only for division games.

66. vdogg says: Jun 30, 2011 1:54 PM

I saw a lot of good points and some good jokes in this thread but really, do we need to have this discussion? There has to be some example already in place where this is already prohibited. You can’t tell me that every other state that has an NFL franchise AND has CCW laws in place hasn’t faced this situation before? I understand the ownership differences with Lambeau but really? Is this even something for debate? I own a gun, advocate of firearm education, but I would never even consider bringing one to a sporting event like an NFL game. Do we all believe the situations where fans of an opposing team who were attacked and beaten up would have gone better if even a few people in the crowd had a concealed weapon? I am not thinking it would…..

67. mrcowpatty says: Jun 30, 2011 2:02 PM

I can see the headlines now, “Six fans gunned down at Packers game.” Sorry, there is no punch line.

68. picksix401 says: Jun 30, 2011 2:05 PM

‘Visiting Quarterbacks Reportedly Unhappy with Lambeau’s new Shotgun Formation’

69. MossMoon2Packers says: Jun 30, 2011 2:06 PM

For “common sense to prevail”, America would legislate effective gun controls immediately, including an absolute ban on handguns and all automatics. (No bona fide hunter needs anything more than a shotgun or single-shot rifle.) That would be the intelligent thing to do, AS ALL OTHER ADVANCED, CIVILIZED NATIONS HAVE DONE. But this America, and American policy is dictated by those with vested interests. In gun policy, the NRA and gun manufacturers run supreme, and they will not, repeat WILL NOT, allow any effective gun control legislation. So, “common sense” will continue to not prevail in America.

70. hobartbaker says: Jun 30, 2011 2:11 PM

Favre retired in the nick of time. One of those rural degenerates was bound to take a pot shot at him.

71. allannero says: Jun 30, 2011 2:16 PM

I’ll add something that seems to be missing so far. The Wisconsin law allows you to carry a concealed weapon (with a permit) in public places. The law listed the public places prohibited from carrying a weapon, which included courthouses (but not the state capitol if I remember right) and other buildings. The catch is, private businesses can restrict it, however Lambeau is owned by the city, making it city/public property. So the law gives you guns in public places, Lambeau is a public place, so guns in Lambeau. If there was a law saying we had the right to carry a case of beer in public places, people could carry it into Lambeau. Just a thought.

72. silverdeer says: Jun 30, 2011 2:20 PM

I am all for carrying concealed weapons. I have my CCW and do carry at times. However, there should be no way that concealed weapons should be allowed in a place where open alcohol is sold.

73. allannero says: Jun 30, 2011 2:23 PM

I should have read the link posted in the article. This quote comes from it:

“Private businesses could post signs to keep guns out of their buildings. Signs could also be posted in government buildings, such as city halls and the state Capitol. But guns could not be banned from government-owned grounds, meaning they could be carried on the Capitol lawn or the Milwaukee Public Zoo.”

Link: http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/124289954.html

74. schmitty2 says: Jun 30, 2011 2:25 PM

“Shotgun formation” would take on a new meaning at Lambeau

75. stellarperformance says: Jun 30, 2011 2:27 PM

What do you bet somebody is already producing foam cheese guns?

76. minnesconsin says: Jun 30, 2011 2:32 PM

capslockkey says:
    Jun 30, 2011 12:13 PM
    ———————–

You (and everyone else) are missing the big caveat here…Lambeau Field is not owned by the Packers (who aren’t a privately owned business in the first place), it’s owned by the city of GB and the Brown Co Stadium District.

It sounds like the problem is that the City and County aren’t sure if they can enforce separate rules in this “public” space.

I don’t know the details, but they’d be wise to talk to the Metrodome folks. MN has CCW laws, and the dome is owned/operated by the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission, which was established by the MN legislature. To me, it sounds like a similar situation, and I know for a fact that they found a way to ban guns at the Dome.

77. bunjy96 says: Jun 30, 2011 2:32 PM

According to a Viking player they already have in Minnesota.

78. usmutts says: Jun 30, 2011 2:55 PM

I’ve been a Packers fan since I was 20, even before the year they won the first Super Bowl game. Lambeau has been sort of a shrine for me. I’ve wanted to go there my whole adult life. Finally, last season I surprised my wife with our first ever tickets to a Packers game at Lambeau. It’s over a thousand miles from our home to Green Bay but we hopped in the car and went.

We saw the giant Lombardi statue. We bought stuff in the gift shop. We ate brats. We cheered with the cheeseheads. We saw the Lambeau leap. What a wonderful experience. ( Later that night in the hotel, I told my wife I wanted to do the Lambeau leap, but she said she didn’t think I was going to score! )

Then we visited Lake Geneva and Taliesen. It was a great trip. We really want to do it all again this fall.

That said, however, if I get the idea that there are going to be guys at Packers games so unsure of their own manhood that they need to arm themselves to feel man enough to go to a ballgame, then, of course, we won’t be spending any more of our discretionary dollars in Wisconsin.

Wisconsin’s legislators have the right to arm football fans and I have the right not to go to Wisconsin.

79. minnesconsin says: Jun 30, 2011 3:02 PM

@allannero — so maybe the trick becomes defining Lambeau as a public “building” instead of public “grounds?”

80. 4gone says: Jun 30, 2011 3:24 PM

Concealed???? Does this mean Clay Mathews III is going to start having to wear sleeves????

81. bananaballs says: Jun 30, 2011 3:32 PM

danimalk82 says: Jun 30, 2011 12:12 PM

@bananaballs = Flight of the Conchords fan

——————————————————

You got me!

82. nramember says: Jun 30, 2011 3:35 PM

Hey “MossMoon2Packers” – read the Second Amendment and the SCOTUS’s Heller and McDonald decisions.

It is NOT “vested interests” or the NRA or “gun manufacturers run supreme”, it is the Constitution and that is what makes America great.

If you really want a total ban on handguns, move to Mexico – they have one.

83. garyman1 says: Jun 30, 2011 3:41 PM

A. Packers fans are big time hunters
    B. Drunken fans might confuse different animal species with football players (Bears, Bengals, Lions, Jaguars, Colts, Rams, etc)

Don’t do it…. Not the “Lambeau Experience” I was looking for. Use some common sense please.

84. stavreafavre says: Jun 30, 2011 3:49 PM

“Well regulated,” people. Keep that part of the holy Second Amendment in mind. “Well regulated.”

85. hoochbcs says: Jun 30, 2011 3:53 PM

I think this would definitely give Green Bay an even greater home-field advantage.

86. nramember says: Jun 30, 2011 3:59 PM

I call my CCW my “good citizenship certificate” and Common Sense is good citizens packing everywhere.

“Gun-free zones” are killing zones. If a business intends to constrain my right to self-defense, then they now have the responsibility of that defense — with metal detectors and armed guards.

Example: The Fort Hood shooter chose to shoot unarmed recruits – not the armed soldiers on the firing range.

The bad guys are always armed. All the “gun-bans” do is disarm the law-abiding citizens.

87. sdboltaction says: Jun 30, 2011 4:08 PM

I completely agree with you, nramember. Though the worst that can happen to you in Arizona if you are caught in a banned establishment with your firearm is they have to ask you to leave. If you’re concealed, go wherever you damn well please. It’s not your fault if you didn’t see the sign…..

88. silkyjohnson937 says: Jun 30, 2011 4:28 PM

I live in Ohio and you can get a ccw but you cant take it into any government buildings or any places that have a sign saying you cant carry it inside, i dont think ohio would want bengals and browns fans carrying guns in the stadiums, especially browns fans. I can see it now: The call on the field is overturned, instead of beer bottles or batteries flying it would be bullets

89. footballfan says: Jun 30, 2011 4:29 PM

Here we go again with the media blowing something out of proportion. 49 states allow concealed weapons. None of the other stadiums have a problem so I am sure Green Bay wont. Please stop being stupid and trying to get a rise out of the public on a law that has been in effect around most stadiums for years!

90. footballfan says: Jun 30, 2011 4:30 PM

MossMoon2Packers says: Jun 30, 2011 2:06 PM

**********

You may want to check your info before you post. There are plenty of other countries that allow handguns and auto’s.

91. bearsnoah says: Jun 30, 2011 4:43 PM

As scary as that prospect is, butter covered burgers and brats are still a bigger danger to packer fans healt

92. vikefan says: Jun 30, 2011 4:57 PM

___________________________________
    while true, it is still not a smart or logical choice in a public setting where profanity and alchohol flows as free as the wind. there are already pat downs and paid security at most if not all large public venue events everywhere. no reason to let general public think they can handle a situation on their own with raw emotions, absurd language or profanity, or alchohol present.

93. MossMoon2Packers says: Jun 30, 2011 5:26 PM

Hey, nramember, the Supreme Court has consistently interpreted the Constitution as not giving an absolute right to gun ownership. In other words, my bullet-headed friend, governments may impose gun controls. I know this because I’m an attorney. I’d offer to cite the relevant legal precedents, but I know that you’re not interested in the truth or the facts; you’re only interested in disseminating the NRA’s propaganda.

As I said, it’s the NRA and gun manufacturers who block the legislation of effective gun controls by, basically, buying-off or outspending and smearing any politician who dares support gun controls.

94. mediasloppy says: Jun 30, 2011 5:31 PM

Handguns galore with all these new Governors. It’s the fastest way to eventually make them illegal when people start shooting each other. Not to mention the little ones at home who are going to end up shooting themselves by accident.

There is a time and place for guns, but this is just getting too stupid.

95. TheWizard says: Jun 30, 2011 5:41 PM

Why the hell would anyone need a gun at an NFL game

For the deluded cretins that get pissed off and want to pull their tough-guy routine in the lot afterwards on some family who might have an opponents’ jersey on.

96. hobartbaker says: Jun 30, 2011 6:00 PM

Concealed weapons will be allowed in the Stadium, but you may be asked to remove your stocking mask.

97. hobartbaker says: Jun 30, 2011 6:02 PM

Osh Kosk Clothing wants to buy the naming rights so they can call it “The O.K. Corral”.

Once a week they will hold a “Saturday Night Special” event.

98. TheWizard says: Jun 30, 2011 9:13 PM

Effective?

99. bcgreg says: Jun 30, 2011 11:26 PM

I don’t own a gun, and I don’t care if anyone does. I am NOT a gun control zealot. However, I’ve read a lot of posts from gun owners who don’t mind allowing guns at the stadium say that they would have the restraint–even if drunk–to NOT pull their gun on anyone let alone shoot. Now, that’s all well and good, but somehow I don’t think EVERYONE has the ability to show that restraint. The way fans act nowadays, you are simply asking for trouble in an environment that combines alcohol, testosterone, adrenaline, and fans with very irrational ways of expressing their thoughts at a game. All it takes is one! And, it would be simply a matter of time before a fatal incident would happen in the stands.

C’mon. No guns at a sports stadium. PERIOD. (Except for the cops there, of course)

100. anythingbutyanks says: Jun 30, 2011 11:51 PM

And so in early September the US opens its first ever zebra hunting season.

101. pigeonpea says: Jul 1, 2011 8:04 AM

I am a pretty avid hunter and own several firearms, however this is just plain stupid. Anyone who is daft enough to think that alcohol and firearms are a good mix doesn’t deserve to own one in the first place. Seriously… Do these same people think that you should be allowed to down a fifth of Jack and jump behind the wheel as well?

If you are that terrified of society that you need to carry a loaded gun into a football stadium in order to feel “safe”, please just go home and hang yourself in a closet. Nobody wants to have to clean up the mess after you make some stupid decision based on whatever mental illness you are suffering from.

102. graidernation says: Jul 1, 2011 12:54 PM

Let me preface this by saying I have a CCW permit, but I’m not a member of the NRA. I agree with posters who say drunk, enraged fans shouldn’t have firearms on them. However, I don’t drink at the games and have enough self control to accept when my team losses (and with Al Davis in charge it won’t change). I go on a canoe trip with friends and family once a year. I know I’m going to drink and make the conscious choice not to bring a firearm with me. Although I work in health care now, I worked ten years as a deputy jailer. I have found weapons numerous times on patdowns that the arresting officer missed (even a firearm once). I have seen some of my co-workers pat down new intakes and their lack of knowledge or care on how to search someone amazed me. I hold a security guard, and some police officers, in the same regard as to my security. I think it is wonderfully naive to think of security or police as this all knowing entity that will protect you if something bad happens. I choose to responsibly count on myself in a situation.

103. vikefan says: Jul 1, 2011 1:22 PM

___________________________________
    i totally understand, BUT how many THINK they can handle themselves while drunk or emotionally upset at another fan, ref, or team IS THE QUESTION. Just because you make the smart decision to conceal, carry, & not drink does not mean all do.

104. vikefan says: Jul 1, 2011 1:25 PM

In any establishment where alchohol is a major part of revenue, any firearm should be prohibited. Its the easy way to take “stupid drunk armed individual” out of the equation.

105. discosucs2005 says: Jul 1, 2011 7:07 PM

I know some people are envisioning this scenario where there is this small family man, who is carrying a concealed weapon, and some other large fans go to harass him with no security in sight, and the family man pulls out a gun and the other men back down, terrified.

Here is the obvious (to some, clearly not all) problem. What is to stop those other guys from also having a gun? What if that harassment is pointing a gun at the poor family man? What is he going to do then? Pull out his gun and start shooting? Even in the best case scenario, his life could still be ruined.

If everyone has a gun, the potential for someone getting shot goes up. If no one has a gun, the potential for someone getting shot is zero. Obviously, there will always be people who can try to sneak a gun past security, and there are other weapons, but the potential for harm only goes up with increased firearms.

Basically what I’m saying is, get over this “I’m going to be a hero” mentality. A gun is a magic tool that will prevent you from being hurt or bullied. It’s a dangerous piece of equipment that’s main goal should be to hunt dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face (ten points for whoever gets that reference.)

106. baronvonmonocle says: Jul 1, 2011 8:31 PM

Lambeau’s ownership status is beside the point. It’s well established that they can prohibit fans from entering with perfectly legal items (umbrellas, coolers, video cameras.) This is just one more.

107. pigeonpea says: Jul 2, 2011 8:35 AM

TheWizard says:

So, your solution to a little trash talking at Lambeau between fans of different teams is to use deadly force on whomever is trash talking you? Lovely. It’s good to see the lunatic fringe is being well represented here.

Having been to Lambeau on four occasions prior to this law being enacted, I have never felt my personal safety at risk, nor have I ever seen a single fight nor any other situation where anyone would need or want to resort to fisticuffs to solve, never mind using a gun. You sound like you never got over the fact that you were beat up daily in high school. I suggest you should try therepy rather than violence.

BTW: The idea of several “heroes” with CCW permits lighting up some perceived threat in a hail of bullets while standing in a crowd of 70,000 is a recipe for more than one innocent bystander to be hit with stray bullets. I hope Wisconsin’s CCW regulations include stipulations for extensive, mandatory practice with your weapon of choice before you are allowed to start blasting away at “criminals” inside densely packed stadiums.

108. Deb says: Jul 2, 2011 1:08 PM

Wow … first they trampled teachers’ rights and forced their legislators into hiding. Just heard on the news about Wisconsin Supreme Court members choking each other, and the other court members refusing to stand up and tell the truth about the incident. Now they want to allow guns into football stadiums where alcohol is flowing and emotions run high. The scariest thing is that this mass insanity is spreading to other states. Heaven help us all.

109. drpeppermd says: Jul 2, 2011 10:40 PM

“A business owner or person in his or her own home may prohibit a licensee from carrying a concealed weapon into the business or home, an employer generally may prohibit an employee from carrying a concealed weapon in the course of the employee’s employment, and the state or a local governmental unit may prohibit a licensee from carrying a firearm into a building that is owned, occupied, or controlled by the state or the local governmental unit.”

The law seems pretty clear that they can ban guns if they wish.

110. pkarm says: Jul 3, 2011 8:27 AM

The NFL already has rules regarding guns at stadiums.

111. bluestree says: Jul 4, 2011 8:25 AM

The main reason for those here who carry is self protection.
    What are you so afraid of?
    In reality your chances of being attacked, especially in Wisconsin, are slim to none. I wonder how many of the recently armed are prepared to face the fact that there will likely never be an occasion to use your weapon? That is, unless it is against you or a member of your family, which is the overwhelming likelyhood in the highly unlikely event your gun is ever fired outside the range.
    Several have stated that carrying a weapon deters criminals. How do they know you’re carrying? It’s a concealed weapon.
    If you want to really protect yourself, stay out of dangerous neighborhoods.
    If you like football, just go to the game. Don’t be scared, no one will hurt you.

112. granadafan says: Jul 4, 2011 7:44 PM

TheWizard says:
    Jun 30, 2011 5:41 PM

They won’t pick on the 160 lb. family man for long if he has Smith & Wesson backing him up.”

—————————————————————————————

Thank you for exactly making the point AGAINST guns in stadiums or in most public places, TheWizard.

113. baronvonmonocle says: Jul 4, 2011 10:22 PM

drpeppermd says:
    Jul 2, 2011 10:40 PM

The law seems pretty clear that they can ban guns if they wish.

———————————

Well, that settles that. Why is this even an issue?

114. tunescribe says: Jul 5, 2011 12:17 AM

Green Bay just shot to the top of Plexiglas Furnace’s wish list.

115. pkarm says: Jul 5, 2011 8:31 AM

I don’t see why this is a discussion the NFL does not allow guns into stadiums so the Packers have that covered

116. stvang says: Jul 5, 2011 5:11 PM

Sure gives new meanig and importance to the 12th man.

117. indianheadmeatpackingcompany says: Jul 5, 2011 8:20 PM

Not a shock that GB would have to take a while to see if this would be a good idea…

118. sakatak says: Jul 5, 2011 10:14 PM

Deb says:
    Jul 2, 2011 1:08 PM
    _______________________

Deb, where did you hear Supreme Court members are choking each other? Only 6 people know what really happened in that room and they are not talking. If someone was choked I believe charges would have been made. Please do not believe or repeat everything you hear, you are smarter than that. Also, the law was not about allowing guns into Lambeau.

119. hobartbaker says: Jul 6, 2011 12:35 AM

Gives whole new meaning to the term “Packer fan”.

120. discosucs2005 says: Jul 6, 2011 2:28 AM

@sakatak

That’s her point moron. A supreme court judge is accusing another of choking her, and the judges, who all witnessed it, are split on what happened. That’s so depressing.

And how was the law not about allowing guns in stadiums? Why do you think this is an issue? It wasn’t called the “guns in Lambeau” law, but that’s clearly part of the issue the law covered.

121. sakatak says: Jul 6, 2011 2:06 PM

@discosucs2005

My point is Deb is making statements without having the facts, one thing she always points out in support of Ben Rothlisburger. As the truth comes out, the facts are showing that no one was choked, yet there are people that want to state that a justice was choked. As far as the judges being split on what happened, how do you know that, are you part of the investigation? As far as allowing guns into Lambeau, if you really think that is going to happen, you are the moron. Local jurisdictions can overide the law, and that will happen in Lambeau just as it is in Madison.

122. 808raiderinparadise says: Jul 6, 2011 7:30 PM

Go to a game in OAKLAND … the fans don’t carry guns to shoot deer like in Wisconsin. Mostly just Broncos.

123. Deb says: Jul 6, 2011 11:27 PM

@sakatak …

discosucs2005 was right. My point wasn’t that someone had actually been choked–and I should have worded it better. My point was that some kind of altercation had taken place and the justices couldn’t be trusted to tell the truth because they were breaking on party lines. The situation may have changed now, but at the time I posted, it seemed obvious half the justices were lying … but no one knew which half. That’s sad.

Whether or not this legislation winds up having an impact on Packer games, the intent is to allow concealed weapons into comparable events. That’s nutty.

124. what da says: Jul 8, 2011 3:09 AM

Mmmm…. A bunch of drunk, inbred Packers Fans allowed to bring guns in Lambeau Field? If I were Rogers I would demand a trade to get out of there.