Glendale preps next Super Bowl bid

U. Phoenix Getty Images

The Glendale Arizona city council voted 5-2 on Thursday to support a regional bid for the 2015 Super Bowl, according to Cecilia Chan of the Arizona Republic.

Two councilwomen vigorously opposed the measure because of the questionable financial benefit of having a Super Bowl in town, with one calling the NFL’s demands increasingly “invasive.”

Ultimately, the argument didn’t fly.

The Host Committee from Arizona has to submit their bid by August 1 and Glendale figures to be one of the favorites along with Tampa Bay to land the next announced Super Bowl, which could come around October 1.

Dallas is expected host again when Hell freezes over.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
22 Responses to “Glendale preps next Super Bowl bid”
  1. kenny1960 says: Jul 1, 2011 1:46 PM

I for one hope that Jacksonville will bid on hosting a Super Bowl again. I know the haters in the media did their worst to disparage this city and all the people who live her. But the facts say we did not have none of the issues they had at the ” Palace In Dallas “. This city has grown since our Super Bowl experience , There are more hotels and I really think Jacksonville could pull it off again if given the chance to do it. Our stadium is among the finest in the league, The city has spent millions on upgrades and yes it is among the largest as well with a capacity to seat over 80’000 fans when the seats are added to the south end zone above the Bud Zone section. We have good weather, Great beaches and golf . The one thing lacking is bars and restaurants downtown. Our new mayor who was sworn in today has said it is one of his priorities to make downtown a vibrant place to go visit . I am hoping that this city seeing what happened in Dallas steps up to the plate and demands to have a seat at the table and throw our chips in on a bid to host another Super Bowl, Now cue the LA trolls and haters rebuttal comments .

2. stihlguy says: Jul 1, 2011 2:24 PM

I have been reading these blogs for quite a while now and it was just today that I decided to create my own blog site to simply comment on these pages. @kenny1960 (and many others), please proof read your posts before clicking the submit button. I grow so very tired of sifting through your grammatical errors and misspelled words. If you are going to post like an adult, please attempt to write like one.

3. dannymac17 says: Jul 1, 2011 2:55 PM

We need a stadium in CA, anywhere, cause not playing a SB here is ridiculous, have you seen our weather??

4. patriotsdefense says: Jul 1, 2011 2:56 PM

@kenny1960 “Our stadium is among the finest in the league”

No, EverBank Field/Alltel Stadium/ Jacksonville Municipal Stadium is in the bottom 5 Stadiums in operation today in the NFL. Aside from being hard to get to it has very few and very outdated luxury boxes. Also it has a horrendous 77% critical food safety violation rating, 3rd worst in the league next to Miami that has 93% rating. Sorry, Fact not Opinion: Jacksonville’s stadium sucks.

I hope they move the team to St. Louis and the Rams back to LA.

5. bearsrulepackdrool says: Jul 1, 2011 3:01 PM

@Stihlguy:

People like you, who comment on other people’s comments and have the nerve to criticize based on grammatical errors, get on my nerve.

Why are you wasting your time? I understand if u rite lik dis n got nuffin’ betta 2 do.

But, seriously to criticize a person based on a few misspelled words here and there. Man, get a life.

SN:
    Its proofread or proof-read.
    “Submit” should be in quotes or italicized.
    Its @Kenny1960. First thing you learn is you start your sentences with a capital letter, no matter the name.

If you’re going to criticize someone else about proofreading their comments before submitting, you should at least take your own advice.

6. NoHomeTeam says: Jul 1, 2011 3:06 PM

2012 — Indianapolis; On February 19th, two weeks later than scheduled
    2013 — New Orleans
    2014 — New Jersey
    2015 — Glendale; Kind of by default, since the other “favored cities” will either have just hosted one (New Orleans) or will not have NFL-approved “Super Bowl venues” (San Diego, Miami)
    2016 — Los Angeles; Stadium will be completed and hosting a team by the time bids for 2016 come around
    2017 — Somewhere in Minnesota; Minneapolis hosted once before, and a Super Bowl is still the NFL’s best carrot to get new stadiums built
    2018 — Santa Clara; With High-Speed-Rail linking the stadium to Frisco
    2019 — Green Bay; Bring in a fleet of cruise ships and park them in the bay — it worked for Jacksonville, didn’t it?
    2020 — Toronto; Detroit Lions vs. Winnipeg Blue Bombers, capping the first season of the NFL-CFL merger (soon to be called the NAFL)
    2021 — London, England

Wait . . . I think I got a little carried away there . . .

7. schmitty2 says: Jul 1, 2011 3:12 PM

stihlguy says:
    Jul 1, 2011 2:24 PM

FYI..this is a football site not a Harvard blog Mr. professor

8. ronworthdubbs says: Jul 1, 2011 3:24 PM

Can someone recap the last Super Bowl played in Glendale? Just the last 2:53 will suffice.

9. darthbaiter says: Jul 1, 2011 4:03 PM

San Diego, the only place for Superbowl.

10. granadafan says: Jul 1, 2011 4:34 PM

After all the freebies the politicians received for hosting the Fiesta Bowl for the BCS championships, they must be REALLY licking their chops for all the swag, tickets, and bribes, er campaign contributions, they’ll be receiving for hosting the Superbowl.

11. melonnhead says: Jul 1, 2011 5:13 PM

Dallas is expected host again when Hell freezes over.

——————————————————————-

I’m gonna go ahead and predict that Cowboys Stadium will host Super Bowl L in five years, which is the soonest any venue can host the game again after hosting one. Seating problems were an NFL problem, not a stadium problem, and the weather that gummed everything up is very atypical for the area.

12. melonnhead says: Jul 1, 2011 5:22 PM

—————————————————————-

Yeah. Fires every spring and summer followed by mudslides every fall and winter. Then there’s the fact that the west coast is the next section of the pacific rim in line to have a huge earthquake.

13. NoHomeTeam says: Jul 1, 2011 5:37 PM

patriotsdefense says: ” . . . Jacksonville’s stadium sucks . . . I hope they move the team to St. Louis and the Rams back to LA.”

If the Rams move back to Los Angeles, I’m fine with Jacksonville keeping the Jaguars.

14. joelvis72 says: Jul 1, 2011 5:48 PM

Does anyone know why another Super Bowl hasn’t been held in Houston? I don’t remember anything really negative coming out about the city in 2004.

15. stairwayto7 says: Jul 1, 2011 6:11 PM

Rotate Super Bowl from San Diego, Glendale and Miami..thats it! We know New Orleans will be under water again…

16. kenny1960 says: Jul 1, 2011 6:14 PM

I want to thank all the real people who had my back after that elitist snot commented on my grammar. This is a site for real blue collar football fans, Not Harvard snob wannabe’s !!! stihlguy , Why don’t you go suck on a fish head and leave football talk to real working people !!!

17. NoHomeTeam says: Jul 1, 2011 6:44 PM

kenny1960 says: . . .This is a site for real blue collar football fans, Not Harvard snob wannabe’s !!! stihlguy , Why don’t you go suck on a fish head and leave football talk to real working people !!!”

Sigh. I really should just stay out of this, but every time I see something like this posted, I have to wonder at the use of the word “real” in the context of “fans.” Is it not possible to be both white-collar and a “real” fan? Is it not possible to have a traditional blue-collar job and prefer proper English?

At the risk of being beaten to the point, I will also point out that the founder and nominal operator of this site previously held what is generally considered a white-collar job. I suspect that he might take issue with the extended inference that he isn’t a “real” fan or a “real” working person.

By all means, extend your thanks to the people who supported your position — I certainly don’t take issue with your doing so — but your brush was a little wide on this one.

18. kenny1960 says: Jul 1, 2011 7:31 PM

NoHomeTeam ,
    Point well taken……

19. bradentonbuc says: Jul 1, 2011 9:24 PM

I really love hearing all these opinions from “experts” whom have never been to these stadiums they criticize. New Orleans, Tampa and Miami.(been to all 3) Don’t need to go anywhere else. But weather has nothing to do with it anymore,(see Indianapolis, New Jersey, Dallas)

20. jasonkge says: Jul 1, 2011 9:45 PM

“Dallas is expected host again when hell freezes over”

Apparently you missed the most recent Super Bowl. Dallas is hell and it was frozen over.

21. joelvis72 says: Jul 1, 2011 9:52 PM

Hurricanes don’t make landfall in February, stairway.

22. NoHomeTeam says: Jul 2, 2011 1:59 PM

Thanks, Kenny1960

Didn’t mean to pick on you — just defending us white collar types :-)