“Major strides” made on revenue split

gty_money_jef_110614_wg Getty Images

With the players believing that the owners had reneged on a “verbal handshake” deal regarding the revenue split and with the owners insisting that everything remains negotiable until a deal is done (that’s fancy talk for “bait-and-switch”), the mood of the labor talks had turned gloomy on Thursday.

Enter Magistrate Judge Arthur Boylan, who by all accounts became much more than a fly on the wall and stepped up to prevent the talks from collapsing, as explained by Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com.  Per Albert Breer of NFL Network, it was Boylan who pushed for the talks to continue late into the night.  Boylan even wanted to continue past 1:00 a.m., but the principles were out of steam.  (Free advice:  Less Rob Roys, more push-ups.)

The result?  Breer reports that “major strides” were made regarding the revenue split, both last night and this morning.  Given the players’ perception that the owners changed the terms as to the most important term between the two sides, we think the immediate goal should be to strike a firm agreement on that issue, write it up, put it to bed, and move on to other issues, which will prevent the league from trying to later adjust the terms or alter the key definitions or otherwise take advantage of the perception that the players ultimately will agree to whatever the owners’ last, best offer may be.

It all starts up again Tuesday.  Which means that every player, coach, assistant coach, scout, personnel director, G.M., other team employee, agent, and media member can look forward to a three-day weekend of answering this question from family, friends, neighbors, and/or complete strangers:  “So, are we gonna have football this year?”

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
38 Responses to ““Major strides” made on revenue split”
  1. jm11890 says: Jul 1, 2011 1:13 PM

this is turning into a comedy. By next week, they will have “regressed” and “hit a major snag”

2. bolt4life says: Jul 1, 2011 1:13 PM

Its good! Its bad! Its great! Its horrible! You guys should limit yourself to one article a day about the lockout, and you can’t post it until the evening. Inside your article you can switch your view and info in each paragraph. You can go from bad to good, good to bad, ect all in one article! Woooo!

3. sprest83 says: Jul 1, 2011 1:15 PM

Nice pic of the old school $50 bill.

4. minormillikin says: Jul 1, 2011 1:20 PM

This is great news! It sounds like the negotiations are off to a strong start!

Wait, it’s July 1st today? This lockout has been going on for how long?!

/sigh

5. bodeen0 says: Jul 1, 2011 1:23 PM

I’m so sick of this! Lock them in a room, give them all the beer they want and feed them an endless supply of bean burritos, with no bathroom access. We’ll have a deal by morning!

6. nflfan101 says: Jul 1, 2011 1:29 PM

The article by Mike Freeman that you refer to is obviously biased in favor of the players. No sources were named and every word was carefully crafted to put the players in the best light. There was no effort whatsoever to even check with the NFL as to the accuracy of what was told to Freeman.

We really do not know if there was a change such as “bait and switch” or if the players are simply lying to make the NFL look bad.

I do agree with PFT that “the immediate goal should be to strike a firm agreement on that issue [revenue split], write it up, put it to bed, and move on to other issues”.

I also believe that this mess will not move forward until the 8th circuit rules and I am hopping that that happens soon.

7. philtvc65 says: Jul 1, 2011 1:29 PM

Arguing over every dollar between people who didn’t even put it there in the first place, the fans. Those same fans that are now being treated like total door mats, that should shut up and smile when it’s all said and done. Not the best way to treat your most valued customers. When they’ve sorted all this out and say come back and spend that money we’ve been arguing over we should simply say, sorry we’re on strike !!

8. wwwfella says: Jul 1, 2011 1:45 PM

i think the fans should lockout the players and owners!

9. nineroutsider says: Jul 1, 2011 1:46 PM

A deal is coming, now go enjoy your 4th.

Biz101 – Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. Both sides are proving that they aren’t dumb enough to kill the golden goose. Did you really think they would?

The summer will turn out to be very interesting as free agency and trades kick off leading right into training camp and preseason.

You guys are way too pessimistic, football will be back before you know it. Those owners can’t stand the thought of losing 1 penny of preseason revenue…just watch. After the deal is done, you will never see a Court rule so fast to approve it.

10. Kaz says: Jul 1, 2011 1:50 PM

I know one thing for sure, after all this my money won’t be involved in any other revenue dispute. If they can’t figure out how to spend my money, I sure can.

11. wlubake says: Jul 1, 2011 2:03 PM

Here’s a question I’ve never seen answered: All of the player healthcare costs, retirement benefits for former players, etc. – does that come out of the X% of total revenues the players get?

In other words, say the parties take your advice and agree firmly to the percentages. When future topics that cost money (such as health insurance and retirement benefits) come up, are the players arguing for more money from the owners, or less money for themselves?

12. hedleykow says: Jul 1, 2011 2:20 PM

There is yet one unplayed card the owners arer holding.

The owners could introduce a concept in which NFL revenues would be spilt by the same formula as player corporate endorsements would be split: 50/50 in both cases.

I cant see Vick wanting to hand over half the cash for his newly awarded Nike endorsement.

13. BroncoNick says: Jul 1, 2011 2:29 PM

I just don’t get how or why it is taking so long??…
    How many hours can you possibly sit in the same room with a bunch of businessmen and lawyers and not get anywhere?
    Guinness book of world record for “The longest meeting without an actual outcome”
    Congratulations Roger Goodell and Demaurice Smith!!
    GET IT DONE!

14. BroncoNick says: Jul 1, 2011 2:33 PM

“We have millions of people giving us billions of dollars what we do, so let’s sit around and argue about who should get what.”
    Great idea…
    One problem… if you don’t get something figured out soon, you’re gonna lose a big percentage of those people paying you and then let’s see who gets what….
    Ridiculous

15. koq11357 says: Jul 1, 2011 2:34 PM

“Boylan even wanted to continue past 1:00 a.m., but the principles were out of steam. (Free advice: Less Rob Roys, more push-ups.)”

More free advice: it’s principals, not principles.

16. ididntsaythat says: Jul 1, 2011 2:47 PM

Jerry Jones said it best back in March…”Its too early to agree to anything. In negotitions like this, both sides need to sweat before an agreement is made.”

I gues both sides are worried about losing Money! Look for an agreement next week, a free agent feeding frenzy soon after and a watered down first half of the season.

17. bubbabart says: Jul 1, 2011 2:54 PM

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz………….Wake me up when they say we’re going to have a season…until then: A Pox on both houses!

18. august1969 says: Jul 1, 2011 2:58 PM

koq11357 says:Jul 1, 2011 2:34 PM

More free advice: it’s principals, not principles.

Maybe too many Rob Roys exhausted their principles…they were starting to give away parking revenues.

19. vadog says: Jul 1, 2011 3:05 PM

When there is a deal, the NFL and the NFLPA* will not be splitting ANY of my money, as I will not spend any money on tickets or NFL related products. I will watch games on “free” television, and will boycott all games and programs on the NFL Network. If a million or so fans take like action, the league and it’s players “might” learn a valuable lesson….”might.”

20. tinytim4115 says: Jul 1, 2011 3:10 PM

why the hell is having everything negotiable until the deal is made, a bad thing? that sounds like a great way to get a fair deal. itll take longer, yes. but that sounds like a great negotiating strategy…

but maybe thats just me

21. laeaglefan says: Jul 1, 2011 3:18 PM

“Jerry Jones said it best back in March…’Its too early to agree to anything. In negotitions like this, both sides need to sweat before an agreement is made.’”

What Jerry Jones really meant……

In negotiations like this the FANS need sweat before an agreement is made.

22. sterling7 says: Jul 1, 2011 3:46 PM

I can’t believe how empty my life would be without football. I do other things, play drums, workout, go running, lotsa softball etc. I love college football as much as NFL. But I never realized how much NFL football means in my life and I’m not ashamed to say so. Whenever some girl tells me how football ruins my life I tell her that I’m not some nut, I work everyday for a living and pay my bills. I don’t rob banks, I’m not some drug dealer, I’m not some bomb threat nutcase etc. I don’t cause trouble for anyone at anytime. Just let us have this, It’s America’s game, it’s God’s game-let me (us) enjoy it!

23. skoobyfl says: Jul 1, 2011 4:08 PM

I’ve seen soap opera’s with less bed twists than this affair.

24. grpatriot says: Jul 1, 2011 4:23 PM

The NFLPA* wants to go to court and collect a bunch of damages. Unless they unload De Smith?

25. WingT says: Jul 1, 2011 4:30 PM

With all of this drama surrounding these talks I can’t help but think that Bret Favre is somehow involved

26. tommynatorii says: Jul 1, 2011 4:39 PM

You can’t “Put to bed” any issue until it’s all said and done. One issue may give a side more leverage for other issues on the table. I can’t believe that was even said.

27. tipdrill84 says: Jul 1, 2011 4:42 PM

You know what would be really awesome? If the negotiations are finally settled and enough time has passed wherein the result was a full regular season and only 2 preseason games! Greatest work stoppage ever!

28. missmyniners says: Jul 1, 2011 4:45 PM

Why hasn’t this gone to arbitration. These arse-clowns cannot agree, so have someone else make the decison for them.

From blogs, news articles, crazy homeless guys on the street…they all seem to know what is better for the NFL than the NFL does.

Let the judge decide and lock it in for 10-15 years. Even if they threatened this I bet an agreement would be made in 24 hours.

29. mathsimillion says: Jul 1, 2011 4:47 PM

This hot, cold, hot, cold is gonna end up giving someone the flu.

30. saints25 says: Jul 1, 2011 4:49 PM

The Media is pure SPECULATION. I dont understand why these so-called Leaders cant get this deal done.An I’m begining to think that they wont ever get a deal done.Both sides were told that they were under a GAG order,an crap is still leaking out.There making Idots out of themselves.Why not put some people (on both sides) in these meetings? Some of these guys are still pissed off,at what happen in March

31. saints25 says: Jul 1, 2011 4:50 PM

NEW members (on both sides)

32. saints25 says: Jul 1, 2011 4:56 PM

vadog says:Jul 1, 2011 3:05 PM

====================================================================
    @vadog

I HOPE EVERY NFL WILL DO THIS..

33. purpleman527 says: Jul 1, 2011 5:05 PM

How pathetic.

MAJOR STRIDES ?

So a deal is now immenent, after another deadline deal is pulled out of thin air?

Good grief.

34. purpleman527 says: Jul 1, 2011 5:11 PM

skoobyfl says:
    Jul 1, 2011 4:08 PM
    I’ve seen soap opera’s with less bed twists than this affair.
    ———————————————-

The only “twists” that are happening are done by the sportswriters.

This thing is far from over, and the NFL writers need to do something. So they create hope and optimism when none exists.

Don’t believe much about “progress”.
    This labor mess is, well, a mess. If NFL writers write that, then us saps won’t come to their webpage.

35. tunescribe says: Jul 1, 2011 5:30 PM

I heard that the Casey Anthony trial has been extended for scheduling on Sundays this fall. We’re gonna need the NFL more than ever!

36. Derty Ernie says: Jul 1, 2011 5:53 PM

I believe I posted six weeks ago on this site that by July 3rd the deal would be done. Getting close folks. I still based on all the things I read think this deal will be done before or on July 3rd. Why?
    At my age I learned one important thing in life I can take to my grave: money talks baby and this fight is all about money.
    Having said that and read that come July 3 the NFL would need to start cutting back on the season schedule -translated means they will have less games, less revenue, they will deal by July 3rd.
    The players will not get everything they wanted but they will know by now that come Sept, the whole season may be scrapped and the players better start selling some bling to make those mansion payments.
    It will happen.

37. mjkelly77 says: Jul 1, 2011 7:43 PM

“we think the immediate goal should be to strike a firm agreement on that issue (revenue split), write it up, put it to bed, and move on to other issues, which will prevent the league from trying to later adjust the terms …”.

Such naivete. I can see that you’ve never negotiated any large contracts. Any previously-agreed-upon conditions within a contract negotiation are still flexible. This isn’t “bait-and-switch” by the owners. If it’s shaping up that my concessions far outweigh the other side’s then I reserve the right to revisit the previous terms. A contract isn’t a contract until all of the components are agreed upon and it’s signed by both parties. There’s agreement flexibility until signoff. The most important thing to remember in any negotiation is that if it’s too unfair to one side it won’t last. That’s what happened with the previous CBA and that’s why we’re where we’re at today.

38. southmo says: Jul 1, 2011 8:29 PM

I’ll say it again just to see if it gets censored again. But I’m glad Judge Boylan has the maturity not to get all worked up over something called “verbal handshakes.” (I admit I did include a “lol” because I find the idea of a “verbal handshake” a little amusing)

Evidently we’re getting sensitive around here?