Marcell Dareus trades lawn mowing for rent

Marcell Dareus, Roger Goodell AP

With Brett Favre apparently retired, someone has to take over duties as the NFL player to inspire offseason lawnmowing stories.

Enter Bills defensive lineman Marcell Dareus.

The No. 3 overall pick in the draft has been trading lawnmowing duties in exchange for staying at his godfather’s house in Birmingham during the offseason. Since Dareus doesn’t have the dough for rent, he works for it.   Unlike Favre, he doesn’t have a riding mower.

“He’s old school,” Dareus told the Associated Press said about his godfather.  “Everybody calls him ‘Sergeant,’ because he was a sergeant in the Army.  At 6 o’clock in the morning, we’re up cutting grass. He ain’t playing. He’s crazy about keeping his yard cut. He has kind of a big yard. We cut it twice a week and trim his hedges. It’s an all-day thing.”

Dareus has taken this weird offseason in stride, but it is starting to get him.

“You come out of college with plans of making big money, and everything goes on hold,” said Dareus. “It grinds you.”

We know the feeling.  (Except for the big money part.)

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
36 Responses to “Marcell Dareus trades lawn mowing for rent”
  1. minnesotablizzard says: Jul 1, 2011 10:29 AM

Just like everyone else who graduated from college in 09, 10, and 11…

2. joshsports6000 says: Jul 1, 2011 10:32 AM

3. 303bengalguy says: Jul 1, 2011 10:34 AM

I got a feeling this kid is legit. I wish my Bungles could have bungled their way to getting him…

4. whatswiththehate says: Jul 1, 2011 10:50 AM

Well, it’s clear Darius isn’t the athlete these sports guys will be using as an example of what’s wrong with our society but his answer kinda makes me realize why many stereotype these kids as only being able to make money through the NFL.

Darius please get a plan B quickly because if your NFL career was to end tomorrow, it would be really sad to know that your three or four years in college only allowed you to the ability to mow lawn.

Although, I did remember hearing on ESPN that cutting his God-fathers lawn in exchange for free room was being done because Darius didn’t want to go and look for a real job. So I don’t know about the “kid is legit” stuff.

5. btowngetsdown says: Jul 1, 2011 10:58 AM

You think he’ll be like Forest Gump and keep cutting the grass in the off season. After Forest made all that Apple money, he continued to mow the highschool’s lawn: “and you know what, seeing how I was a gazillionaire and all, I cut that grass for free.”

6. slizzyslizz says: Jul 1, 2011 11:00 AM

while its nice to read he isn’t too prissy to do “mans work”…just get a deal done already so we can read about rookie signings, training camp, and the preseason!

7. spillertime21 says: Jul 1, 2011 11:09 AM

That was a very insightful post by joshsports6000. I would also like to add that there is not too much grass to mow in the winter in green bay, Chicago, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Denver, Pittsburg, Boston, Philly, or New York City

8. CKL says: Jul 1, 2011 11:11 AM

Good for you, godfather of Dareus! Smart man.
    People raised that you have to work for everything usually fare better in life as well as becoming good people too.

9. ndgarretjax says: Jul 1, 2011 11:15 AM

Tell me again who the top 10 players were? Kinda forgot since they aren’t being signed…

10. CKL says: Jul 1, 2011 11:16 AM

whatiswiththehate:
    Perhaps some of it is due to the fact that players trying to get income right now aren’t looking for permanent jobs in their fields of study (or permanent jobs, period) when they know that they will be playing football professionally soon. Right now they just need “temp type” jobs and most employers aren’t going to hire even well qualified guys who can’t commit to working there as a permanent job.

11. panther74 says: Jul 1, 2011 11:21 AM

I like it….it builds character and will hopefully aid in keeping him humble througout his career.

12. shackdelrio says: Jul 1, 2011 11:44 AM

“joshsports6000 says:
    Jul 1, 2011 10:32 AM
    He might as well get good while he can, because they don’t have a lot of grass you can mow in Buffalo during the winter.”

But there is in Southern California. Just sayin’.

13. bittersonicsfan says: Jul 1, 2011 11:52 AM

Love this guy. Nothing wrong with pushing a lawn mower for money.

14. nedhigginssports says: Jul 1, 2011 11:58 AM

This is a guy I’d like on my team. You know there are probably more than a handful of rookies who are spending money that they don’t have and this guy is presumably waiting till he gets NFL checks to cash them.

15. Deb says: Jul 1, 2011 12:13 PM

@CKL …

Thank you! Yeah, if I’m an employer I’m really gonna hire Marcell Dareus into a career position knowing he’s leaving for the NFL the second the lockout ends :roll:

Interesting how the guy calling himself “whatswiththehate” has to take a nice positive story and try to turn it into some nasty commentary on player stupidity. What’s with the hate?

16. bonerchamp says: Jul 1, 2011 12:50 PM

The new face of the Buffalo Bills! Hopefully his attitude rubs off on Maybin and other Bills underachievers!

17. ezdoesit209 says: Jul 1, 2011 12:55 PM

This kid is the truth!

18. jessieboom says: Jul 1, 2011 1:04 PM

Poor guy….working for a living and all.

19. realitypolice says: Jul 1, 2011 1:13 PM

I have no problem with what Dareus is doing, but does he honestly believe there are no short term revenue sources available to him?

The third overall pick in the draft, who is going to be a multi-millionaire no matter the rookie wage scale is, can’t find an endorsement deal for a car dealership or some local business to scratch up enough cash to get through the summer?

Or can’t just ask his agent float him a few grand a month to get by? Considering the amount of money the agent is about to make on his rookie contract, it would seem to be the least he could do.

Again, more power to him if this is the way he wants to do it, but it’s seems to me that it is far from his only option.

20. CKL says: Jul 1, 2011 1:30 PM

Deb says:
    Jul 1, 2011 12:13 PM

__________________________________
    LOL, good point!

Right now both of us have a single thumbs down on our Dareus posts. Care to wager it’s whatiswiththehate who did it? :D

21. Deb says: Jul 1, 2011 1:41 PM

@CKL …

Or maybe it’s realitypolice, another dude who can’t seem to grasp that the kid is waiting out the summer staying with his godfather while the lockout drones on and mowing the lawn in exchange for his keep. Good grief … molehill MOUNTAIN. :D

22. icewalker946 says: Jul 1, 2011 2:06 PM

Glad I’m not his neighbor….6AM cutting grass? Rude.

23. whatswiththehate says: Jul 1, 2011 2:16 PM

Deb says:Jul 1, 2011 12:13 PM

@CKL …

——————-
    I keep forgetting that I’m on a site where attitudes are dictated by the tone of the article and ones love for one’s favorite team and player and not the reality.

Can’t wait to read a different spin on similiar article with an athlete not so favored by this site and many of you college team and NFL team rival folks.

And yes, I choose my name because it’s seems opinions that go outside of the narrowminded thinking on this site isn’t respected.
    ———————
    CKL says:Jul 1, 2011 1:30 PM

————-
    Sorry don’t have time for such silliness. Unlike you, I don’t go around giving thumbs down because someone isn’t madly in love with my favorite player. If something is posted that I don’t agree with, and I choose too, I voice my opinion, just like you.

24. CKL says: Jul 1, 2011 2:51 PM

@Whatiswiththehate
    Dude/dudette-
    I’m a Pats fan and I went to college in NE. I couldn’t care less about Dareus’ alma mater nor do I root for his team. Way to make assumptions.

Also, it appears you don’t have much of a sense of humor on here at least. That’s too bad since that makes for a sad life IMO.

I sometimes even agree with some of the stuff you say. Not that you should or do care because it’s just the internet and hardly serious business, but I think you should know that I judge posts by the content not the poster.

25. realitypolice says: Jul 1, 2011 3:11 PM

Deb says:
    Jul 1, 2011 1:41 PM
    @CKL …

====================

What on earth are you talking about? What don’t I grasp?

I fully understand that he is “waiting out the summer staying with his godfather while the lockout drones on”.

All I am saying is that a number 3 pick overall in any draft has options to get money before he signs a contract.

What part of that don’t YOU grasp?

By the way- the thumb’s down button is for silly trolls. I don’t know who did it to you, but it wasn’t me.

26. Deb says: Jul 1, 2011 3:37 PM

@CKL …

That was a shot across my bow. whatswiththehate is a regular on the college boards and assumes I agreed with you because Dareus is a Bama grad. Apparently he’s missed all my posts defending players from other schools.

whatswiththehate, your comment about Dareus was silly–sorry if that stings. No one is madly in love with him and the point would be the same if you were talking about Auburn’s Nick Fairley. The reality is that these first-round draft picks already have jobs waiting with their respective NFL teams and no serious employer is going to waste a position on them knowing they’ll leave when the lockout ends. Duh. That has nothing to do with my team allegiance and everything to do with plain old common sense.

27. Deb says: Jul 1, 2011 3:47 PM

Good grief, realitypolice, I agree with CKL … where has all the humor gone? Heavens to Betsy, I’m not seriously digging you, of all people, about giving me a thumbs down. You don’t exactly strike me as the thumbs type.

Your comment suffered from being a little too similar to whatswiththehate’s, but I see what you’re saying. However, the article wasn’t suggesting that Dareus needed money and was mowing lawns to get it. I think the idea is that he wanted to stay with his godfather in B’ham for the summer, and the godfather doesn’t let anyone stay for free. He expects “his” kids to work, so Dareus is doing landscaping duty. I get the feeling the godfather would have him doing landscaping duty even if Dareus were paying rent.

28. rcali says: Jul 1, 2011 4:05 PM

If he could only get arrested for some felonies he could get a contract with Nike.

29. Deb says: Jul 1, 2011 4:05 PM

ROFL … oh nooooo, whatswiththehate, you don’t comment based on team allegiance at all. Just discovered you’re an Auburn fan. But I guess that’s incidental to your comments here :lol:

30. henryjones20 says: Jul 1, 2011 4:08 PM

DEB and CKL: great post!! Job well done! seems like certain ppl on this site just wana be hateful and negative 2 whatever these players do. kinda sad and pitifull

31. realitypolice says: Jul 1, 2011 4:33 PM

Deb-

You’re right, I over reacted. My bad.

I love the paragraph about his godfather. It shows he has some strong role models in his life, which should help him down the road.

But in my defense, there are certainly parts of that article that would indicate the kid was there only because he was broke:

“Since Dareus doesn’t have the dough for rent, he works for it”.

“You come out of college with plans of making big money, and everything goes on hold”

Or maybe it’s just because I despise yard work so much that I can’t believe anyone would choose to do it if they had options. :-)

32. minnesotablizzard says: Jul 1, 2011 6:08 PM

PFT get with the times and get a Reply button. Please. For the love of the discussion boards. My eyes bleed having to scroll past the Deb/CKL back a forth. Why isnt there a reply button like any other discussion board would have? People have to be sick of the copy and past and @ crap…

33. granadafan says: Jul 1, 2011 6:52 PM

Welcome to the real world where many of us took menial jobs out of college or in the summer to pay bills while waiting for the “real” job. Maybe stories like Dareus’ will ground a few of these rookies to watch their money wisely because the riches can be taken away just like that. Plus, perhaps a few of them will learn to say no to those hangers on, posses, lazy family members with their hands out. Good for the “Sargeant”.

34. Deb says: Jul 1, 2011 7:19 PM

@henryjones20 …

Thanks … and you’re right on that negativity toward players.

@realitypolice …

No problem … I’m with you on yard work!

@minnesotablizzard …

Oh my … you had to skip over a couple of posts? Dreadful! Bless your poor bleeding eyes. I’ve noticed on some of those boards that people reply to posts when they actually mean to reply to the article and the whole thing becomes a convoluted mess. No blog is perfect.

35. backindasaddle says: Jul 1, 2011 7:21 PM

“You come out of college with plans of making big money, and everything goes on hold,” Dareus said. “it grinds on you.”

So the massive checks will have to wait a few months. Ohhh the pain!…Ohhh the horror!

36. thebigwhitecat says: Jul 1, 2011 9:44 PM

Nice job, Marcell.

Buy your godfather a rider mower when the lockout ends.