Vick signs a new deal with Nike

1291870661 Getty Images

The Mike Vick redemption tour continues.

Darren Rovell of CNBC reports that Nike has decided to do business again with Vick, four years after Vick pleaded guilty to federal dogfighting and gambling charges.

Michael acknowledges his past mistakes,” Nike spokesman Derek Kent told Rovell.  “We do not condone those actions, but we support the positive changes he has made to better himself off the field.”

In 2009, after Vick emerged from prison and signed with the Eagles, Nike and Vick resumed their relationship, albeit on a much more limited basis.  In response to comments from Vick’s agent, Joel Segal, who said that “Mike has had a great relationship with Nike and is excited to be part of the Nike team again,” Nike came out and said that Vick isn’t really part of the team again.

“Nike does not have a contractual relationship with Michael Vick,” Nike spokesman Kejuan Wilkins told Rovell at the time.  “We have agreed to supply product to Michael Vick as we do a number of athletes who are not under contract with Nike.”

Still, we sifted through the reports and the facts and determined that, even when Nike only provides product, a contract is always signed.  The fact that the parties have found a way to get past that awkwardness arguably says as much about Vick’s return to prominence as Nike’s ability to forget about his admitted criminal actions.

This time around, Vick is definitely getting paid, on top of the product.  For now, the amount isn’t known.

The next question will be whether Nike will face any repercussions from customers.  Our guess is that Nike did plenty of surveys and focus groups and other stuff before doing the deal, eventually confident that having Vick sign on the bottom line won’t hurt the company’s bottom line.

Permalink 103 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
103 Responses to “Vick signs a new deal with Nike”
  1. tntitansfan10 says: Jul 1, 2011 12:19 PM

I support Vick now a lot more now post troubles. I hope my kids view him as a role model

2. schemefactory says: Jul 1, 2011 12:22 PM

paid his debt, blah blah, been behaving since then, blah… still did wicked things that no normal person would ever think to do. needed someone else to tell him it was wrong. reward him with his old life back, whydontchya.

3. bubbabart says: Jul 1, 2011 12:26 PM

I’m all for redemption…but this is fairly quick.

4. massappeal12345 says: Jul 1, 2011 12:35 PM

He served his punishment, so let him play.
    But, what about nike. Aren’t there any other clean living role models that they can pile cash upon.

In Boston, they lined a store window with t-shirts that read “get high” and “dope”, then refused to move them after the outcry from the mayor.

They want to be trend setters. no matter what the message. I buy nothing that has nike labels. If many others do the same, then eventually they will get rid of their sad leadership.

Step by step.

5. edgarh21 says: Jul 1, 2011 12:40 PM

Give it up already! Stop holding grudges and MOVE ON!!!!

6. edgarh21 says: Jul 1, 2011 12:42 PM

I do have pets by the way, I was shocked and disgusted by his actions. But time to move on many of those animals have found good homes by now. Hating Vick is obviously not going to do anything.

7. supashug says: Jul 1, 2011 12:43 PM

isn’t he they guy that killed the dogs and went to jail.

8. fitz66 says: Jul 1, 2011 12:45 PM

“Give it up already! Stop holding grudges and MOVE ON!!!!”

If it was your dog he used for bait to train one of his fighters, (that he later drowned and/or electrocuted) you might be singing a different tune.

Hes messed in the head.

9. phileborn says: Jul 1, 2011 12:45 PM

I like to see a good redemption story. Soon as his cleats come out, i’m getting them.

10. bonerchamp says: Jul 1, 2011 12:48 PM

I believe that Vick is truly remorseful from the interviews that I’ve seen. That being said, it’s a little to soon at this point. Let him prove himself a little bit longer. I hope he keeps it up.

11. delshofner says: Jul 1, 2011 12:48 PM

This speaks volumes about who Nike think is their customer demographic.

12. cleverbob says: Jul 1, 2011 12:52 PM

Capitalism, baby. I doubt most of PETA falls within Nike’s target demographic anyway.

13. pacificnw7722 says: Jul 1, 2011 12:52 PM

What he did was horrible, and you don’t have to forget but just……..forgive. Time will tell with Vick, so far he’s doing positive things with his second chance. Hope he continues down the right path.

14. tonymecca68 says: Jul 1, 2011 12:54 PM

Thats what i’m talkin about Nike!!! Great way to step up to the plate and him before Under Armour…..bout to go buy me a pair of Nikes right now for all you HATERZ!!!!

15. danimalk82 says: Jul 1, 2011 12:58 PM

“Nike does not have a contractual relationship with Michael Vick,” Nike spokesman Kejuan Wilkins told Rovell at the time. “We have agreed to supply product to Michael Vick as we do a number of athletes who are not under contract with Nike.”

Translates to…..

“We were thinking of a way to benefit from Michael’s success, but also have an easy out to defend against animal right’s activists, so this is what we came up with…”

16. netherscourge says: Jul 1, 2011 1:02 PM

Redemption my butt.

NIKE realizes that Vick is still popular among it’s primary customers and wants to capitalize on that by using him in their marketing and product lines.

The only reason they dropped him LAST time was because they were afraid of losing customers when he went to jail.

They don’t give a rat’s behind about Mike’s future or redemption or any of that stuff.

It’s all about business. Period.

17. deeowens11 says: Jul 1, 2011 1:07 PM

Why pile up on Michael Vick? Did he go begging to Nike headquarters to get shoes again? No. I’m sure they were the ones who came calling, and MV did what we would all do. Get paid. Was he supposed to say, “Hey thanks Mr. Knight, that 24M would help with my creditors, but my dog fighting is still just a little too fresh in folks minds”?

Besides, why are his actions more heinous than that of Nikes? Child labor, sky high prices marketed to the ghetto, etc.

It’s this short-sighted and often racially biased way of thinking that has a lot of these same commenters on the owners side of the lockout.

Out.

18. terrellblowens says: Jul 1, 2011 1:14 PM

Good for him. He made bad choices but has turned his life around. No one will forget his actions but it’s time for everyone to move on.

19. breeshasabush says: Jul 1, 2011 1:14 PM

Does anyone know how long Rick Vaughn will be suspended for for taking steroids????

20. pwall1 says: Jul 1, 2011 1:18 PM

Nike is a business. Vick sells jerseys. It makes perfect sense that the two sides would get back together.

21. unbiasedfootballfan says: Jul 1, 2011 1:29 PM

We could have a healthy debate here all day about whether he should have been welcomed back to the NFL. However there should be no debate about whether companies should pay him millions of dollars to pitch their products. I for one have called and told nike that i will no longer be buying their products. You can do the same by calling 18008066453

You may think it won’t do any good to call and complain and it probably won’t but i promise you if enough people take a stand Nike will eventually start to listen.

22. usmutts says: Jul 1, 2011 1:30 PM

“Vick sells jerseys.”

Well, ok, but my wife reads sports blogs, including this one, and I can guarantee you Nike will never sell anything else to anybody in this family. Or face her wrath. And I agree with her.

23. cav2ya says: Jul 1, 2011 2:06 PM

@unbiasedfootballfan,
    hey man, thanks for the phone number. i can call Nike and tell them how truly great a company they are.

Seriously, i have 2 dogs, love them both, they both get into trouble at times. What Vick did was horrible. What Vick did, was also something he grew up with, believing as a child, this is something you do. as much as i grew up riding a bicycle int he streets without a helmet. or shooting BB guns at squirrels. or my buddies. What Vick did was go to JAIL. for the 2yrs required by law.

As far as i know, when a person is released from prison, they have supposedly paid their debt to society. Same for everyone. Of course, repeat offenders have less of a chance of forgiveness.

Vick should have been the MVP this last season, and will probably take the Eagles to the Superbowl this year. you think you got him figured out? ask the Giants about 7:38 left in the 4th quarter with a 21 point lead…

from an article in 2007 in the Washington Post:
    In 1976, Congress outlawed interstate promotion of animal fights and the transportation of animals across state lines for fighting, with penalties of up to a year in prison and a $5,000 fine. The fine was later increased to $100,000.

Dogfighting is a felony in 48 states and the District and a misdemeanor in Idaho and Wyoming. Possessing a fighting dog is legal in Georgia, Idaho and Nevada, a misdemeanor in New York, Texas, West Virginia and Wyoming, and a felony everywhere else.

Being a spectator at a dogfight is legal in Georgia and Idaho, a felony in 22 states and a misdemeanor in 26 states and the District.

Washington Area Laws

Participating in a dogfight:
    Maryland: Felony, up to three years, $5,000 fine.
    Virginia: Felony, up to five years, $2,500 fine.
    District: Felony, up to five years, $25,000 fine.

Possessing a fighting dog:
    Maryland: Felony, up to three years, $5,000 fine.
    Virginia: Felony, up to five years, $2,500 fine.
    District: Felony, up to five years, $25,000 fine.

Being a spectator at a dogfight:
    Maryland: Misdemeanor, up to 90 days, $1,000 fine.
    Virginia: Misdemeanor, up to a year, $2,500 fine.
    District: Misdemeanor, up to 180 days, $1,000 fine.

24. unbiasedfootballfan says: Jul 1, 2011 2:07 PM

for those that thumbed down my point 2 above please feel free to log-in and actually say why you disagree. I am guessing most of you can’t make a coherent argument for mike vick. If you try to think about your job… if you killed/electrocuted dogs and went to federal prison would your employer take you back after release? I don’t think so….

25. unbiasedfootballfan says: Jul 1, 2011 2:15 PM

@cav2ya you lost all credibility when you said he should have been MVP and also i will add you have paid your debt to society when you leave jail and thats all good but if you or me went to jail we would not come out of it with the same job we had prior to going in.

26. famousp22 says: Jul 1, 2011 2:24 PM

STOP HOLDING GRUDGES already!!

27. unkleruckus says: Jul 1, 2011 2:25 PM

If I was one of the 15 best in the world at what I do they would absolutely take me back with open arms. Get a life, just like PETA do you think phone calls to Nike will do any good? Nike sells shoes around the globe to people who don’t even watch NFL football. This argument is about Nike and their choice to use Vick, I dont need to make an argument for Vick. But my argument for Nike is that they can pay him whatever the hell they want to for whatever reason they see fit. So I’ll walk in Foot Locker, lets say a year from now, and see if your phonecalls have caused Nike to go under. SMH

28. jennstergersburnedretinas says: Jul 1, 2011 2:26 PM

@ unbiased

I gave you a thumbs down. Apparently you don’t have any concept of elite athletes. There is a double standard when you run a 4.4 40, dunk a basketball, or pitch no hitters. It’s something that the lay person can’t understand and it is a skill that most of the world doesn’t possess. Secondly, I’ve actually spent some time in jail and am glad that I was forgiven by my family, friends, co workers, and society in general. I’ve been able to gain employ that is commensurate with the position that I was in before my transgressions. Did Mike Vick committ henious crimes? Uneqivocally, yes. Does he deserve a second chance, yes and is currently making the best that he can with this chance. He uses his platform for good fighting against the ignorance and evil that got him in trouble.

See, I made a coherent arguement. Maybe you should think a little before acting like a jerk and insulting fellow posters intelligence. By the way, your sentence structure is horrendous and you should capitalize the letter “I”.

29. famousp22 says: Jul 1, 2011 2:29 PM

massappeal12345 says: Jul 1, 2011 12:35 PM

He served his punishment, so let him play.

Step by step.

———————————————-

And NIKE will BE “A OK”, with out ur Business

30. bangthedrum22 says: Jul 1, 2011 2:35 PM

@unbiasedfootballfan
    “but if you or me went to jail we would not come out of it with the same job we had prior to going in.”

That may be the case for you but like it or not mike vick is in the top 1% of his profession. If mike was a surgeon or an attorney it would not be hard for him to find work.
    I’m sure you think all ex cons should be bagging groceries or working construction but this is America buddy and you get paid when you got something others don’t. Did want to mention that im not a vick fan either

31. famousp22 says: Jul 1, 2011 2:38 PM

unbiasedfootballfan says: Jul 1, 2011 2:07 PM

——————————————-

I gave you a thumbs down! You sound bitter and deranged because Vick paid a debt to society and his been given the opportunity to continue to play football. It almost sounds like your saying he shouldn’t be able to have any type of employment because of the crimes he committed. Your argument is equivalent to somebody saying anybody who is convicted of a crime and does time, can ONLY work in certain places… GET OVER UR SELF!

32. returnofmeezle says: Jul 1, 2011 2:38 PM

unbaisedfootballfan you keep making the mistake of comparing yourself to Vick.

You are not Vick, you are not considered one of the top 32 people at your profession in the world like Vick. You are not considered one of the rare talents at whatever it is you do, like Vick.

Until you are, your argument isn’t “coherent.”

33. tntitansfan10 says: Jul 1, 2011 2:40 PM

I will make up for the stuff u hypocrite won’t buy. Ur probably old and need special shoes anyways. Love #7 rising back to top.

34. tntitansfan10 says: Jul 1, 2011 2:42 PM

The crap these politician do is far worse than what VIck did.

35. unbiasedfootballfan says: Jul 1, 2011 2:45 PM

@return of meezle ohhh so as long as we are great at something then it makes up for whatever it is we do off the field? Glad we got that straightened out.

36. returnofmeezle says: Jul 1, 2011 2:45 PM

This is 100% about $’s and cents. Those of you that are willing to boycott Nike aren’t their demographic anyway. When was the last time you bought a pair of sneakers at retail, ie Foot Locker, and not a bargain sneaker outlet store?

37. whatswiththehate says: Jul 1, 2011 2:48 PM

fitz66 says:Jul 1, 2011 12:45 PM

“Give it up already! Stop holding grudges and MOVE ON!!!!”

Hes messed in the head.
    ———————
    Were you there to see what he did or did you get your information from the media?

There are many who have done worst than Vick and has never seen a jail cell nor have PETA protesting wherever they go.

This attack on Vick is nothing more than the usual media witch hunt. Where they single out some athlete or celeb they don’t care that much for and use him as bait for folks like you to continually gnaw on.

Funny how none of us are attacking those who were just as involved as Vick. I’m sure they have their lives back and are being role-models somewhere out of the spotlight…See my point.

Give it a rest and go take care of some really abused animals not being paraded across our tv by the media to scape-goat someone.

38. august1969 says: Jul 1, 2011 2:50 PM

usmutts says:Jul 1, 2011 1:30 PM

“Vick sells jerseys.”

What kind of pants will she wear then?

39. unbiasedfootballfan says: Jul 1, 2011 2:51 PM

I am glad everyone thinks it is okay to have a double standard just because you are an elite athlete. It is that type of attitude that lets these athletes feel like they are above the law and better than everyone else.

40. unbiasedfootballfan says: Jul 1, 2011 2:52 PM

@return of meezle- I run 2 marathons a year buy most of clothes at the nike store in chicago. I don’t understand why you think those of us speaking out against mike vick are old or cheap?

41. returnofmeezle says: Jul 1, 2011 2:52 PM

No, not at all. But i can assure you that your job will take you back if you are. Especially if you have paid your debt to society

42. rm811 says: Jul 1, 2011 2:53 PM

@unbiasedfootballfan
    the point is vick is more valuable to his employers than you are so you cant make the argument that “if you killed/electrocuted dogs and went to federal prison would your employer take you back after release”

43. returnofmeezle says: Jul 1, 2011 3:07 PM

Not old or cheap, but smart. I use to be one of the fools that would pay $100+ for Nikes, not anymore.

The demographic, from my experience, are the urbanized youth willing to waste $160 on a pair of shoes that serve the same purpose as a pair half the price.

Too many people are speaking out against Vick, and just that, speaking. If you’re going to boycott Nike, just do it. No pun intended. Stop talking about it and do it.

44. capslockkey says: Jul 1, 2011 3:09 PM

Not surprised by this in the least. Nike has been one of the most hypocritical and unscrupulous companies for years. My neighbor worked for them when he lived in Oregan and told me stories of the kind of lengths they go to secure top talent. You worried about college kids receiving gifts and taking money? Hell, Nike will try and buy your kid when he’s at the AAU or pop warner level if there are signs of talent. They would give Osama Bin Laden a shoe deal if they knew it would increase sales.

45. pigeonpea says: Jul 1, 2011 3:44 PM

Congratulations, Nike. You have become the second company within a week that will never get my business again… Not that I liked your sh!tty products to begin with.

BTW: Enough of the stupid “let him play” comments already. You make it sound like we actually have a say in the matter. If we did, I am fairly certain ol’ Dawgkilla would be running the fry machine at your local Burger Keif.

46. Dynasty says: Jul 1, 2011 3:45 PM

VICK = Best QB in NFL

NFL = BIG $$$$$

NIKE = Money Maker

VICK + NFL +NIKE = BIG, HUGE BUSINESS (LARGE $$$$$)

= It’s ALL about $$$$$$$$$

47. bigbillinocmd says: Jul 1, 2011 3:57 PM

Not surprising. isn’t Nike the same company that paid kids pennies a day only to be managed by factory bosses with switches in order to sell a 2 dollar product for 40 times the cost? We went through this in the nineties and it seems we already forget. Nike is part of “the machine” that makes it’s own rules. No shock value here. Hiring a man that mutilated animals with his bare hands and possessing the same mind characteristics of a Psychopath shouldn’t be surprising.

48. rcali says: Jul 1, 2011 4:01 PM

I’m almost positive I saw a Nike Swoosh on Casey Anthony’s shirt today.

TV trials are big money!

49. supashug says: Jul 1, 2011 4:08 PM

VICK = Best QB in NFL

clearly the holiday weekend has started in your apartment and your buddies havent gotten home from work yet

silly

50. evolk1 says: Jul 1, 2011 4:20 PM

Vick never served 1 minute for animal cruelty, so no he did not ‘pay his debt’. His time ‘served’ was for racketeering. @jennstergersburnedretinas I am glad you got your life back together after jail. For some people it does work well afterwards. It is good your family and friends were able to forgive you, that’s why they are there. But you aren’t in the public spotlight, people all over the world don’t know your name and view you as a symbol of our country. Vick is in the spotlight. Sport stars are international. People on the other side of the world knew what he did and that he had no punishment for being one of the worst dog fighters caught.

He’s said that he would STILL be dog fighting if he hadn’t gotten caught, so no he is not remorseful. The closest he’s come is being upset that he can’t have a dog again because his kids want one. I have no doubt that he is one of the greatest football players, but being a role model and an athletic spokesman is more than just what you do on the field/court/course. Nike never has been the posterchild for ethical companies, but they at least tried to hide it (which is still disgusting, but that’s a different story). I don’t usually buy Nike shoes (I prefer Brooks), but I do use a great deal of their other items (clothes, sweatbands, etc…)

51. theblowtorchreview says: Jul 1, 2011 4:24 PM

My dog will never wear Nikes again!

All joking aside, this is just another sell out by Nike. In the end they will regret this move.

What about all the other crap the Dawg Killa has engaged in? Is all that forgotten Nike?

In it’s never ending quest for the almighty dollar, corporate America once again sells itself out to the devil.

52. usmutts says: Jul 1, 2011 4:27 PM

@unbiasedfootballfan.

Thanks for the phone number. I called Nike and told them I won’t purchase Nike again. So did my wife. Then we emailed the number to a dozen friends, many of whom rescue abused and abandoned dogs, and gave them the info. They, in turn, will email dozens of their friends. And so on.

We won’t shut Nike down but they’ll get the messages. Maybe a million messages.

To you jock sniffers ( “Vick is special” “top talent” “top 1%” ) let me just say that many of us who love football, and many who don’t, believe that those who torture dogs, by electrocution and otherwise, and use small dogs as bait for training dogs to be killers – like Vick did – are not worthy of being considered members of the human race.

53. tigrrrr says: Jul 1, 2011 4:30 PM

Ok nike… Your not on my families menu anymore. Vick doesnt deserve to be in OUR nfl!

54. usmutts says: Jul 1, 2011 4:34 PM

@unbiasedfootballfan:

I don’t know how many thumbs down you’re getting, but, given the level of intellect I’m seeing in the comments, you should consider it an honor.

55. theblowtorchreview says: Jul 1, 2011 4:42 PM

I guess what the Dawg Killa’s supporters still don’t comprehend is ConVick is mentally ill.

Any person, be he black or white, hood rat or stockbroker, who gets enjoyment and gratification from watching animals tear each other apart and perverse pleasure from beating, hanging, drowning, electrocuting, and shooting dogs….. has originated from the very shallow end of the gene pool.

Mike Vick shoudn’t be in the NFL……he should be in a hospital for the criminally insane.

But hey if that’s who Nike wants to support, that’s their business. But it certainly fits their business model of selling over priced shoes to ghetto kids who have to rob and kill people or sell drugs in order to get the cash to buy them.

56. thesaint23 says: Jul 1, 2011 4:45 PM

for all the vick detractors the poor devil has paid back his debt to society via his prison time.

why is it that folks cry and whine about the killing of animals but yet some of these same folks do NOT cry and whine and remain silent about the millions of childrent that have been and continue to be murdered via abortion?

the poor devil has turned his life around so give the guy a break!

God Bless America & George W. Bush

57. fmwarner says: Jul 1, 2011 4:50 PM

unbiasedfootballfan says: Jul 1, 2011 2:45 PM

___________________________________

Congratulations on missing the point entirely. The point is, if you committed the same crime and your employer did not hire you back, that would not be a brave ethical stand. That would be a calculation of the PR hit of keeping you vs. the difficulty your company would have replacing your skills. In all likelihood, you are not so exceptional at your job that it’s worth the hassle for them to keep you. In all likelihood, that’s true of all of us posting here. But replacing Vick’s skills is a lot harder.

So don’t act like Vick’s second chance means the NFL and associated companies are ethically compromised compared to any other company any of us might work for. We’d all get fired only because it wouldn’t cost our employers anything to make that “brave” moral stand.

58. fmwarner says: Jul 1, 2011 5:00 PM

usmutts says: Jul 1, 2011 4:27 PM

____________________________________

You know, people can actually disagree with you without being a “jock sniffer”, especially if they have common sense. Nobody is going to contend that Vick’s crimes weren’t heinous. But this is why we have laws and specific penalties for specific crimes…so that when a crime strikes close to your heart, you don’t get to irrationally and emotionally decide who gets to be a member of the human race.

If you really hate that Vick is allowed to pursue employment commensurate with his skills, then campaign for a mandatory life sentence for dog killing or whatever your pet cause is. Because until that happens, he gets to live his life. You and people who think like you don’t get to assign him a “shadow sentence” that continues to punish him after the state has decided he’s paid his debt.

59. cav2ya says: Jul 1, 2011 5:06 PM

good points, on both sides. but seriously, Vick’s crimes is 2yrs old already, why haven’t any of these been discussed in such depth?

6/19/2011 Akeem Jordan-Philadelphia LB Arrested, charged with misdemeanor assault and battery in Virginia.

6/8/2011 Kenny Britt Tennessee WR Arrested in New Jersey on two counts of resisting arrest. He allegedly tried to conceal a marijuana cigar from police, just a day after pleading guilty to careless driving in April. (Third strike this year! btw)

6/9/2011 Javarris James Indianapolis RB Arrested, charged with marijuana possession in Fort Myers, Fla.

4/26/2011 Albert Haynesworth Washington DT Grand jury indicts him, charges him with misdemeanor sexual abuse. He allegedly fondled the breast of server at Washington restaurant on Feb. 13.

4/12/2011 Kenny Britt Tennessee WR Arrested in New Jersey after car chase with police. Charged with felony: eluding an officer.

3/29/2011 Aqib Talib Tampa Bay CB Felony arrest warrant issued in Texas for Talib and his mother in connection to March 21 incident in which gun was fired. He faces charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon stemming from fight with his sister’s partner.

2/12/2011 Michael Bush Oakland RB Arrested, charged with DUI in Indiana after being pulled over at 3:47 a.m.

2/9/2011 Kenny Britt Tennessee WR Criminal complaint filed against him alleging theft by deception. He allegedly failed his pledge to pay two bail bonds companies for friend arrested in January 2010.

2/2/2011 Albert Haynesworth Washington DL Charged with assault. Police say it was a road rage case and Haynesworth allegedly assaulted another driver. He was not arrested.

1/17/2011 Laurence Maroney Denver RB Arrested after police found guns and drugs in car with four other men in St. Louis.

So, Guns, Drugs, Abuse, some with 2 strikes, some with 3. and that’s only 6 months into the year. (I Skipped quite a few as well)
    So I think, when some say “get over it”you really really need to get over it, it’s past history, is old news, there are more current issues, with much more dangerous repercussions.

60. jennstergersburnedretinas says: Jul 1, 2011 5:26 PM

@ Evolk1

Gotcha. But just because you’re in the public eye does that mean that you should have less of a second chance than people who are not? Second, so the fact that Vick did two years of hard time for one charge and not another makes it unpaid? I disagree. Many times criminals are sentenced to concurrent sentences or given time for one charge and mot another. I don’t think that the fact that Vick was in jail for racketeering makes it less of a sentence than if he was in jail for animal cruelty. It’s like saying that a person with a CDS in their pocket who was driving drunk and got a sentence for the CDS and not the DUI (because it was a lesser offense) didn’t pay for what they were doing. You still pay and all you can do is try to atone for your mistakes. I truly believe that Vick is doing this, turning around your life should be celebrated, not condemned.

61. clwb419 says: Jul 1, 2011 5:30 PM

I certainly don’t condone what he did, and feel he got off easy – but he’s out of jail, allowed to play, and has supposedly seen the bad of his ways and is taking a different path. He seems to have turned his life back around – maybe he really has.

As per Nike, you all realize that if you were to boycott every company that sponsored an athlete that did something wrong, or a company that had subcontractors (such as factories) that did something wrong, you’d be naked. Add in the potential to have any undocumented workers and you’d be naked, starving, and wouldn’t have a house over your head.

62. melonnhead says: Jul 1, 2011 5:33 PM

——————————————————

hahahaha @ “should have been the MVP” and “take the Eagles to the Super Bowl”! Also, why ask the Giants? Why not ask the Packers? Or the Bears? Or the Vikings?

63. SteveBeans says: Jul 1, 2011 5:35 PM

Those complaining about this should take it up with lawmakers, not Nike.

Vick, unlike many other celebs (Lohan), did his time for what he did. Isn’t that what laws are for? You do the crime, you do the time?

I thought that’s what jail is for, to punish people and hopefully rehabilitate them? If your kid is a brat and you put him in the corner for 10 mins, do you then hold it against him for the rest of his life? No, you punished him and hopefully he learned.

64. melonnhead says: Jul 1, 2011 5:37 PM

I’m disappointed that PFT did not let my excellent post about the new Nike Michael Vick Signature “Euthanizers” cross trainers being made in Korea by kids that get paid 15 cents a day!

65. RussianBreadMaker says: Jul 1, 2011 5:38 PM

< Fan of Vick before all of his troubles, not so much now. I respect change when it comes from within, not when it's forced.

66. melonnhead says: Jul 1, 2011 5:39 PM

———————————————————

Very informative. How do you resolve all that gobbledegook with the fact that Vick didn’t spent one single minute in jail for killing all those dogs? His debt to society remains unpaid.

67. clwb419 says: Jul 1, 2011 5:44 PM

Almost forgot this too……..the NFL is sponsored by Adidas (aka Reebok in this case) – all of his jersey’s are Adidas – and I hear nobody calling out Adidas.

On June 26, 2011, Vick received the Subway Sportsman of the Year Award at the BET Awards. Anyone boycotting Subway or BET?

The Eagles (his employer) are sponsored by 7-11, Aflac, Best Buy, Budweiser, Comcast, Dunkin Donuts, Gatorade, KFC, etc… – anyone boycotting these too?

I mean, if you’re going to do it, do it right people

68. bigbwoy000 says: Jul 1, 2011 5:50 PM

It’s not the killing & dog fighting, it’s the intentional torture people.

He got a charge out of electrocuting, hanging, beating to death, slamming to the ground already crying, bleeding, screaming in pain animals. It wasn’t because Mike was starving or enjoyed eating canine so it wasn’t like Vick was eating the dogs, it wasn’t because the dogs in question did anything to Mike or anyone in his family. The dogs didn’t owe him money so he didn’t do these things to collect.

He tortured the animals simply because he enjoyed inflicting pain on already screaming defenseless creatures as he & his group laughed about it.

All you silly Vick defenders can use any failed logic you’d like to stick up for this despicable excuse for a human being. Psychoanalysts & the FBI all know that this type of behavior is very very sick & very deep rooted. He knew what he was doing was wrong, he did it anyways multiple times a week for 6 years. Vick supporters REALLY believe 18 months in incarceration fixes this type of sick behavior??

He’s a sick piece of garbage that belongs in jail for another 10 years on multiple cruelty charges. He got off way to easy.

69. oldassgoat1 says: Jul 1, 2011 5:50 PM

Great! perfect combination – doesn’t Nike use dog leather already?

70. jh500 says: Jul 1, 2011 7:04 PM

Man, I knew this was inevitable. Vick is back to being a multi-millionaire with this deal and the his new Eagles contract. Reminds me when people tried to boycott the Eagles. Needless to say, it backfired. Tickets were selling out and the Eagles were breaking rating records every week. Vick is back on top, where he belongs.

71. kevsright says: Jul 1, 2011 7:26 PM

This stinks worse than the carcasses of Vick’s dead dogs! Hope Nike also owns Odor Eaters. May they go broke!! :mrgreen:

72. fmwarner says: Jul 1, 2011 7:56 PM

melonnhead says: Jul 1, 2011 5:39 PM

____________________________________

It’s not my fault you can’t distinguish between gobbledygook and a cogent argument. Somebody better call the DA in Virginia and tell him that melonhead feels Vick’s debt to society is unpaid! I’m sure they’ll reopen the case. Point is, it’s not for you to decide. The authorities who actually have, you know – authority – have decided that the debt is paid. If you don’t like that he was offered a plea bargain, then write a letter. But don’t think that his debt isn’t paid simply because you’re still mad.

73. melonnhead says: Jul 1, 2011 9:00 PM

————————————————————————————–

No he’s not. He filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy less than three years ago citing debt between $10 million and $50 million. He’s living on a court-ordered budget of $300K per year for the forseeable future. 66 cents of every dollar he earns goes to his debts and taxes. The trustee in charge of his bankruptcy is suing or has sued every member of his family in an attempt to recoup things he gave them to try to keep it out of the hands of his creditors.

Any ratings records the Eagles broke were likely broken because of their opponents. Teams like the Packers and Cowboys always draw high ratings, it’s pretty absurd to say that games against teams like those, for instance, drew high ratings just because of Michael Vick.

74. bleedgreen80 says: Jul 1, 2011 9:05 PM

For all of you talking about never wearing nikes again i doubt if they hardly notice it small thing to a giant

75. melonnhead says: Jul 1, 2011 9:08 PM

—————————————————————————————————–

Not surprising. It’s the first and that welfare check is already burning a hole in your pocket!

76. melonnhead says: Jul 1, 2011 9:24 PM

——————————————————————–

I’m not mad. He went to prison for sponsoring an interstate gambling ring. Not for torturing and killing all those dogs. It’s just a fact, nothing to get mad about. As a member of society, I believe it *is* my place to decide that his debt remains unpaid. Maybe you need backwoods Virginia bureaucrats like Gerald Poindexter and other “authorities” to issue your opinions to you… but I don’t.

77. svallen says: Jul 1, 2011 9:34 PM

This Nike signing should go well with his $15.975 million contract (contract details) – he is going to be a hugely sought after free agent next season, and he is going to be making top dollar in the NFL. Crazy with how is past was.

78. dd393 says: Jul 1, 2011 10:53 PM

Instead of paying Vick for his endorsement, Nike should donate the money to the ASPCA.

79. macjacmccoy says: Jul 2, 2011 7:47 AM

“The next question will be whether Nike will face any repercussions from customers. Our guess is that Nike did plenty of surveys and focus groups and other stuff before doing the deal, eventually confident that having Vick sign on the bottom line won’t hurt the company’s bottom line.”

Not hurting the bottom line isnt enough. They wouldnt do the deal if signing Michael Vick wasnt going to make them money. They dont endorse athletes to break even or lose money. Especially in Vicks case. Even though they likely did do a bunch of focus groups and realized he was mosty accepted by the public the do know there are still animal rights group and ordinary people out there who are against Vick and anyone associated with him. They would not invite that scrutiny and controversy on their company no matter how small that minority has become unless they had something to gain.

They might endorse other athletes for reasons other then monetary gain (I doubt it) but not Vick. Signing him is all about money for both sides.

80. macjacmccoy says: Jul 2, 2011 8:01 AM

svallen says:
    Jul 1, 2011 9:34 PM

Ummm. No he isnt. The Eagles are gonna allow him to get to free agency. They will either sign him to a mutiple year contract or tag him if that is till allowed in the cba. The only way that doesnt happen is if he completely flops or blows out a leg this year. And if that happens he wont be that sought after anymore.

Its like saying its going to be nuts when Drew Brees and Peyton Manning become free agents . Its pointless to talk about bc everyone knows their not going to make it to free agency. I dont know why you would think Vick would be any different.

81. melonnhead says: Jul 2, 2011 9:10 AM

———————————————————————

Maybe because those guys operate on an entirely different plane than Michael Vick.

82. melonnhead says: Jul 2, 2011 9:11 AM

————————————————————-

Then again we are talking about the Eagles and the premium they put on flash over substance so maybe you’re right.

83. dirtyharry1971 says: Jul 2, 2011 11:57 AM

i think Nike and Vick belong together personally as i cant say one good word about neither

84. diablito0402 says: Jul 2, 2011 1:10 PM

Nike supporting current and past felons and home wreckers. Shocking, no more nike products for me.

85. lgwelsh1 says: Jul 2, 2011 1:58 PM

He earned it, he deserves everything he has coming his way.

86. mb2020 says: Jul 2, 2011 3:14 PM

PETA IS A JOKE.
    Four other people were convicted with Mike Vick and yet, they don’t do speaking tours, you don’t even know their names but PETA and the outraged people go after…… Mike Vick. So its ok if Nike does too! Get over it and move on because those that condemn have never done anything and I do mean anything wrong dogs or otherwise. Why don’t they go protest where the dogfighting is STILL happening? Nope, that’s a little too scary

87. ruggerlad says: Jul 2, 2011 7:25 PM

It really is pathetic that half of the American population would forgive a dog abuser, rapist, murderer, etc so long as they could throw a pigskin. Vick is scum but then Nike has been scum since Vick was in diapers (if he lived in a 3rd world country he could have been making Nike products for pennies).

88. pigeonpea says: Jul 3, 2011 10:31 AM

lgwelsh1 says:
    He earned it, he deserves everything he has coming his way.

Exactly. And if karma plays a hand in Vick’s future, he’ll receive a fatal lightening bolt to the testicles after being laid out 20 yards behind scrimmage.

89. theblowtorchreview says: Jul 3, 2011 12:22 PM

“He earned it, he deserves everything he has coming his way”

=================================

That’s exactly what I will be saying when some DE or LB obliterates him on a blind side sack. We can only hope when it happens, he doesn’t get back up.

90. nuclearwarfare says: Jul 3, 2011 2:56 PM

LOL

Give it up. Mike Vick did his time in prison, but that’s not enough for some of you. You’re acting like he molested a child or murdered a pregnant woman. Yes, dog fighting is bad. I agree, but he DID HIS TIME and now he’s moving on.

It’s YOU people that can’t seem to move on.

Big Ben is accused of sexual assault twice and everyone is ok with that. Mike Vick kills a couple of dogs and BY GOD HE OUGHT TO BE SHOT ON SIGHT JFKDA;JFDKA;FJDK

91. nuclearwarfare says: Jul 3, 2011 2:58 PM

By the way, I love watching him play football. Because every time he throws a TD pass, every one that hates him gets really pissy. I love it.

92. zzzzzaaaa54 says: Jul 3, 2011 10:27 PM

Folks It is time for the fans to rise up and force a deal.
    The lockout has been really sick to watch and worry over all this time. Very hard on us fans.
    Please click like on the this notice to the NFL owners and players of a world wide pledge that if a deal is not reached by July 15th everyone will boycott the first game played. No buying tickets, no merchandise, no viewing the games, bars do not show the games, basically a complete boycott for one week. If the preseason is skipped then we pass on buying any NFL swag this year. Let’s take back the game folks, Power to the People! They would never think of pulling this kind of s@$t again and cause the fans, who are really 100% responsible for them having $9B to fight over, have to deal with this stupidity. Who’s with me!
    PS – You can still got to the sportsbar, just as long as you are waching MLB or Hockey. What the hell you can watch soccer too.

93. MichaelEdits says: Jul 4, 2011 8:32 AM

Just Dooooooooooo It

94. tlclove says: Jul 4, 2011 11:43 AM

This country is so messed up. We might as well tell kids be a sadist or murderer. It doesn’t matter. Just so long as you can run or catch a ball you can do whatever you want in professional sports and even if you get caught and go to prison you can go back and make millions of dollars. Sports fans are supporting this sick and twisted behavior of athletes and encouraging kids to be monsters.

95. mostepicgnar says: Jul 4, 2011 12:00 PM

I thought it was a poor choice for Nike.

96. pigeonpea says: Jul 4, 2011 2:14 PM

nuclearwarfare says:

Not quite as pissy as his loser supporters got when the Pack kicked his ass out of the postseason inside the Eagles own house.

Green Bay Packers – 13 Times World Champions
    Mike ‘Dawgkilla’ Vick – One-and-done.

Karma is a mean-spirited bitch, my friend…

97. pigeonpea says: Jul 5, 2011 11:08 AM

SteveBeans says:

So you’d have no problem with a “rehabilitated” child molester moving in beside you after serving a couple of years for raping kids over a six year span? I mean, hopefully he has learned. Right?

98. phillyeagles85 says: Jul 5, 2011 12:34 PM

pppp

99. slick3 says: Jul 6, 2011 1:01 AM

@ schemefactory

I’m sure you agree with Casey Anthony’s acquittal as well.

100. axespray says: Jul 6, 2011 1:10 AM

“Michael acknowledges his past mistakes,” Nike spokesman Derek Kent told Rovell. “We do not condone those actions, but we support the positive changes he has made to better himself off the field.”

^ or the guy could just say, “We don’t know why, but something about vick… he has that IT factor, like…idk, he’s marketable….yeah, we know he killed dogs, but…money yo’…money-money!”

101. Statistical Futures says: Jul 6, 2011 5:51 PM

The once and future scumbag.

102. alan3008 says: Jul 9, 2011 12:07 PM

Just one more reason, on a long list of reasons, I will not buy ANY Nike products. They give all these spoiled, over-paid, crybaby athletes multi-million dollar contracts to endorse their products and then we have to pay for it in the cost of the products when we buy them. I buy brands that don’t give these idiots (and yes, most of them are, in fact, idiots) millions of dollars, while the average American can no longer afford a good pair of athletic shoes.

103. BSL News says: Jul 9, 2011 10:49 PM

Michael Vick fans have been busy whining lately about tot mom Casey Anthony’s not guilty verdict. Not because they are outraged that a baby killer will go unpunished, but because Vick served prison time and tot mom will not. These sharp shooters seem to forget that Michael Vick pled guilty, killer Casey Anthony did not. In a perfect world DEXTER would not be a fictional character and would also take on animal abusers. But unfortunately this is not the case. Instead we are stuck with a justice system that is broken.

Michael Vick murdered countless dogs and his minute prison stint is a joke in comparison to his heinous crimes. Michael Vick fought dogs for sport, and when they didn’t win him money he hung, drowned, electrocuted or shot them. He tied innocent dogs to rape stands for the brutal practice of mating. Not to mention the beatings and the syringes full of drugs forcibly injected into the dogs. It was hell on earth for the dogs at Bad Newz Kennels who had no say in their actions. And though some made it out alive, many of the dogs continue to suffer to this day. Yes, Michael Vick spent time behind bars. But since his release he is celebrated, idolized and rewarded for his bad behavior by making millions. Most recently Nike signed Vick to a four year endorsement deal.

Michael Vick fans make me sick. While searching for the perfect words to summarize the type of people they are I came upon this fantastic quote from the FB page The Rally Against Michael Vick. “The thing about Vick supporters is that they are mostly all ignorant to the facts of the case, they spout arguments about race, religion, “he did his time, and usually conclude with “get over it.” Their comments usually contain vulgarities, inaccuracies, and generalizations about those of us that fight against Vick every day. That in and of itself should tell you something about Vick himself.”

I whole heartedly believe Michael Vick is not a changed man, nor does he have any remorse for the heinous acts of cruelty he bestowed on countless dogs. Killer Casey Anthony being set free is just the latest example of our broken system