Another vote for the Titans going after Hasselbeck

Matt Hasselbeck AP

The Seahawks look like one of the two primary suitors for Kevin Kolb, even if they are considered the underdog.

If they land Kolb, that would free up Matt Hasselbeck to go elsewhere.  And the Titans look as likely as any team outside of Seattle to go hard after the veteran.

We’ve mentioned some Hasselbeck to Tennessee speculation before, and now the most well-connected Titans reporter sees a possible marriage.

“Keep Matt Hasselbeck on the radar,” Jim Wyatt of the Tennesean said on the Sporting News pocast Huddle Up Friday.  “I’m talking about three members of the front office, all have ties to Seattle.  They know Matt Hasselbeck. Likely Jake Locker knows Matt Hasselbeck because he’s worked with him some ways, been out in Washington.

“I think they’ll make a run at Hasselbeck first just to see his interest and just to see what’s going to shake out there in Seattle. If his future with the Seahawks continues. If they can make that work, that could happen. If not, I think it’s Kerry Collins.”

What a first week of free agency this will be for Seattle.  If they truly do want Kolb, they may need to act decisively or risk losing him and Hasselbeck as a fallback option.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
14 Responses to “Another vote for the Titans going after Hasselbeck”
  1. facebookuser111 says: Jul 3, 2011 2:30 PM

Well with a rumored 7mil a year offer for Hass and the newest rumor of a 1st and 3rd for Kolb it looks like at the very least the Seahawks are driving up the price for Tennessee and Arizona….

2. jeff061 says: Jul 3, 2011 2:41 PM

Hasselbeck has a long history of being a QB who makes terrible decisions in the heat of battle. He would be a lousy choice as a mentor for any young QB. Not sure who would want to emulate an injury prone turn-over machine (averaging 2.75 a game)

3. thehatefulnerd says: Jul 3, 2011 3:01 PM

Do the Titans run a West Coast Offense?

4. lee7786 says: Jul 3, 2011 3:04 PM

I really hope they ( Titans front office) go get Hasselbeck. He’s not the best in the league but would be a major upgrade over Collins. Please get it done Reinfeldt.

5. transam7816 says: Jul 3, 2011 3:27 PM

Let Locker start. He can do it

6. randysavage4ever says: Jul 3, 2011 5:16 PM

jake locker gonna start, & hasselback start in Seattle,

7. NFLJunkie says: Jul 3, 2011 5:34 PM

The Tennessee connections or how much they might want him won’t mean a thing unless Hasselbeck is interested in a job that would likely turn into a backup spot halfway through the season, barring a miraculous start by the Titans. Especially if he gets other offers to start from teams who didn’t draft a QB in the top 10.

It really doesn’t matter what people viewing it from the Titans’ perspective think.

8. pacificnw7722 says: Jul 3, 2011 5:44 PM

The MAIN priority for the Seahawks should be QUALITY free agent O-Linemen to continue the depth building process.

Having said that, I’m sure Matt would like to retire a Seattle Seahawk to finish out his career. As always, this will come down to money. He only has a few years left at most, and I can’t see the Hawks forking out big bucks to keep him as they are in the middle of a total rebuilding youth movement.

At the end of the day, will Matt take a hometown discount to stay in Seattle? That is the question.

It should be an interesting situation, especially when you throw in the possibility of adding Kolb or Orton to the team.

9. fthrvic says: Jul 3, 2011 5:59 PM

We want the ball (Hasselbeck) and we’re gonna score (lose).

10. lestatx2 says: Jul 3, 2011 6:43 PM

Why are the Titans not interested in Kolb? Locker won’t be ready for at least two seasons, if ever. I’m not sold on Locker at all and, really, NO ONE has any reason to be.

11. transam7816 says: Jul 3, 2011 8:52 PM

I was sold on Locker. I was really hoping the Titans would get him in the first..and they did :). When I saw that Gabbert was still available I lost hope for Locker. But obviously the Titans saw something in Locker to choose him over the “most ready” QB in the draft. Locker will surprise many and then you’ll know why the Titans “reached” for him.

12. ravensfan4life52 says: Jul 3, 2011 9:42 PM

or they could just keep VY

13. trbowman says: Jul 4, 2011 2:09 AM

“I was sold on Locker. I was really hoping the Titans would get him in the first..and they did . When I saw that Gabbert was still available I lost hope for Locker. But obviously the Titans saw something in Locker to choose him over the “most ready” QB in the draft. Locker will surprise many and then you’ll know why the Titans “reached” for him.”

He was probably their top QB.

He’s way better than Gabbert.

14. fmwarner says: Jul 4, 2011 5:29 AM

I’d rather have Hasselbeck tutoring my young QB than Collins. And I’d promise him a full season of starting, too. QBs are pushed to start too early, and Locker isn’t ready at all.