Patriots rookie Marcus Cannon finishes chemo this week

MarcusCannonGetty Getty Images

Marcus Cannon, the TCU offensive lineman drafted by the Patriots a week after being diagnosed with cancer, is completing chemotherapy and expecting to be ready to go whenever training camp opens.

Charean Williams of the Star-Telegram checks in on Cannon today and reports that Cannon’s chemo treatments will be finished this week, less than three months after he learned he had non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Cannon sees no reason he can’t be on the practice field in August.

In fact, for a guy who’s fighting cancer, Cannon is doing remarkably well. He has had nausea only once, hasn’t lost his hair and only lost a little weight: Cannon, an enormous man, dropped to 338 pounds but now says he’s back up to 348. He’s been playing basketball, swimming and lifting weights, bench pressing 315 pounds for eight or nine reps.

He’s also keeping his positive attitude.

“All I can do is keep doing what I’m doing,” Cannon said. “That’s to keep praying and accept my healing.”

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
32 Responses to “Patriots rookie Marcus Cannon finishes chemo this week”
  1. woakland says: Jul 3, 2011 10:10 AM

Good for him.

2. CKL says: Jul 3, 2011 10:14 AM

For an OL especially the guy looks like a good athlete. There’s even a youtube vid of him doing a flip off a dock into the water. He’s not a fattie. Plus he has his degree. Good kid and I wish him well and would even if he wasn’t going to play for the team I root for.

3. mikebrownistheworstownerinprosports says: Jul 3, 2011 10:20 AM

Not a Pats fan, but whenever this kid is on the field, I’ll be rooting for him. Very inspirational.

4. rc33 says: Jul 3, 2011 10:23 AM

A flat-out steal in round 5.

5. piratefreedom says: Jul 3, 2011 10:25 AM

This would be good news even if I wasn’t a Pats fan.
    Go Mr. Cannon Go.

6. thegonz13 says: Jul 3, 2011 10:31 AM

A feel-good story in an offseason marred by arrests.

Go Marcus!

7. ampats says: Jul 3, 2011 10:36 AM

Great news for Marcus Cannon.

He may be the steal of the draft,taken in the 5th but projeted late 1 or early 2 before diagnosis.

Now lets finish the “Lockout” this week.

8. michigansportschat says: Jul 3, 2011 10:42 AM

Inspirational!!! Good Luck in the NFL

9. okiny says: Jul 3, 2011 10:44 AM

Good for you and God bless…keep fighting!
    -Die Hard Giants Fan

10. pkrjones says: Jul 3, 2011 10:52 AM

Glad to hear he’s doing well… and an amazing pickup for the Pats in round 5. Good luck to you, Marcus (NOT the Pats).

11. tunescribe says: Jul 3, 2011 10:53 AM

The Patriots emphasize players of high character, and here’s a case in point.

12. kissbillsrings says: Jul 3, 2011 11:26 AM

Great news….excellent to hear this young man is doing so well & keeping such a posative attitude….just the type of person the Pats covet when selecting TEAM players…..lets hope he continues getting better & better as his treatments come to an end & makes a full lifelong recovery……God bless this young man….

13. realitypolice says: Jul 3, 2011 12:28 PM

Livestrong, Marcus!

14. dyhrdpatsfan says: Jul 3, 2011 12:49 PM

You have to love hearing stories like this

15. jdlaroo says: Jul 3, 2011 1:31 PM

Finally an inspiring story about courage and character amidst all the labor gargage we’ve had to endure lately.

PS To the moron who “thumbs down” a story about a guy battling cancer, you must truly be the embodiment of a loser in life.

16. lifewps says: Jul 3, 2011 2:11 PM

I was diagnosed with the same kind of cancer and I can tell you what he is doing is extremely remarkable. I highly doubt I could have done anything near the physical regiment he is doing.

17. gdeli says: Jul 3, 2011 2:13 PM

we wish you well marcus. rock on.

18. Deb says: Jul 3, 2011 2:32 PM

Finishing chemo is cause for great celebration! Hope you have a big party, Marcus! My prayers for your continued progress and good health. God bless.

19. jdandcoke says: Jul 3, 2011 2:35 PM

who are the assclowns giving these comments a thumbs down?? what a bunch of losers.

20. seneca1ss says: Jul 3, 2011 2:55 PM

i was hoping Tampa would draft him. great person with charisma. on YouTube there’s a clip of him doing a front flip off of a pier.

athletic & strong as an Ox.

He’ll beat it!

21. dolphin928 says: Jul 3, 2011 3:49 PM

I don’t generally respond to any postings. However, I don’t understand why people would give a thumbs down to posts that wish this young man well. No matter what teams I pull for, I hope Marcus will have a long healthy life ahead of him.

22. gtmann says: Jul 3, 2011 5:14 PM

All but 2 of these comments have at least 1 thumbs down !!!! What kind of human being does not feel good for a kid who is beating cancer AND about to play in the NFL ? How would that make you feel if it were your son ? For your sake hope you never find out .

23. bcgreg says: Jul 3, 2011 6:08 PM

@ mikebrownistheworstownerinprosports

I am a Pats fan and agree with you about Cannon.

And, are you by chance a Bengals fan?

24. axltcu says: Jul 3, 2011 6:20 PM

The next Madden game should give Marcus a 100 toughness rating.

25. towniesman says: Jul 3, 2011 6:30 PM

I pray for you Marcus an not because I’m a Pats fan

26. projectshadow316 says: Jul 3, 2011 7:16 PM

I’m a Pats fan, and I don’t doubt for a single second that everyone will be on their feet cheering for this guy. I sincerely hope him the best, and he is a force to be reckoned with on the field.

27. kw867233 says: Jul 3, 2011 8:15 PM

All the best from this Jets fan

28. backindasaddle says: Jul 3, 2011 10:45 PM

The thumbs down people will simply thumbs down everything and anything Patriots. I don’t think they’re thumbs downing the kid….they’re thumbs downing it because the Patriots picked him.

I’m a Pats fan, but that is not germane to what really counts. What IS germane is that this kid looks to be beating cancer and going on to fulfill his dreams.

I lost my sister to breast cancer last year. This is beyond sports and fans….it’s life and death. I’m happy for the kid on this basis……it’s all that really counts.

29. patswhatsup says: Jul 3, 2011 11:43 PM

@acltcu

Yes! Marcus should get a 100 toughness! It could come in an update!

On the real though… Just finished chemo, benches 315 7 or 8 times!?!? This guy along with mankins, solder, possibly light, etc are going to be a stonewall defense for Tom
    Brady…

Good luck Marcus, I know your a true competitor and fully expect to see you excel on the field!!

30. eddyjf says: Jul 4, 2011 9:12 AM

@kw867233 says:
    Jul 3, 2011 8:15 PM
    All the best from this Jets fan

————–
    You’re a class act (never thought that I would say that to a Jet’s fan.

31. nhisnewenglandtoo says: Jul 4, 2011 7:59 PM

I can’t believe I read an article on the Pats without some stupid mention of spygate (aka video taping which every team in the league was doing, but the winners are hated) by the haters!

Another great move by the Pats, congrats and welcome aboard Marcus!

32. nortonfest says: Jul 5, 2011 5:05 PM

I too went through a similar treatment last year for non-Hodgkins lymphoma. While I do not want to belittle the treatment, the therapies have come a long way in the past decade. I didn’t lose any weight or hair, did not miss any work to speak of (except for treatment days), and was able to do most normal activities. There are many different types of lymphoma, and many of them can be put into remission for long periods of time, but some of them do come back.

That being said, it is a very scary feeling to learn you have any type of cancer, and it gives you a different perspective on everything. I read the article, and remember the feeling of leaving the doctor and not knowing what to think. At times it all seemed like a bad dream, but after a while I came to grips with it and just went on with life.

All I can say is this Cowboys fan is pulling for you Marcus, and I wish you the best. I can’t wait for the lockout to be over and to read about your progress.