Mediator starts vacation on Saturday

A. Boylan AP

And now there’s another reason for the principals in the labor dispute to roll up their sleeves, pack a lunch, and focus on the task at hand.

According to ESPN.com, U.S. Magistrate Judge Arthur Boylan is scheduled to start a vacation on Saturday.  As a result, ESPN.com reports that the parties “hope to achieve a true framework for a new CBA by the close of business on Friday.”

Maybe they will, and maybe they won’t.  But the fact that Boylan starts a vacation reinforces the reality that the two sides should have kept at it over the Fourth of July weekend.

Instead, the key figures will be renewing acquaintances on Thursday, with only two days to get something done before Boylan, who played a key role last week in averting an implosion of the talks, becomes unavailable.

The time for talking about working hard is over.  If the NFL and the players intend to save the preseason and the cash that comes from it, they need to truly work hard.

Permalink 60 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
60 Responses to “Mediator starts vacation on Saturday”
  1. goindy2006 says: Jul 6, 2011 5:35 PM

Finish this now!!! I’m tired of it!!

2. stairwayto7 says: Jul 6, 2011 5:36 PM

Where is he going to for his vacation?

3. geobh says: Jul 6, 2011 5:37 PM

let them all go on permanent vacation.
    good riddens

4. trbowman says: Jul 6, 2011 5:38 PM

They got caught slacking….hope that 4th of July weekend was worth all the money they’re gonna lose…

5. realdeal12 says: Jul 6, 2011 5:38 PM

All they have done is “talk” about working hard, getting a deal done, there will be football, etc.. Its all garbage if they haven’t put forth the effort yet why would they start now? Theres more to this than we know and I for one am starting to believe the season may not happen and all this “talk” nonsense is just a front.

6. bangthedrum22 says: Jul 6, 2011 5:38 PM

Most of the talking heads are predicting a july 15th agreement date. Sounds like this may throw a wrench in that

7. decaturstaley75 says: Jul 6, 2011 5:40 PM

That should be the last paragraph of every post on this site until an agreement is reached, regardless of the subject matter.

8. pacificnw7722 says: Jul 6, 2011 5:42 PM

Delay that stinkin’ vacation Judge and GET BACK TO WORK!!

9. trbowman says: Jul 6, 2011 5:43 PM

To be fair, I think Boylan deserves a vacation….putting up with all those egos? Must be tough.

10. 808raiderinparadise says: Jul 6, 2011 5:44 PM

Tim Tebow just tied his shoelaces. Herm Edwards just closed the bathroom door. Brett Favre said he thinks he can still play. Tom Brady took a picture. Randy Moss recently asked for extra hot sauce at a restauraunt. Jared Allen just shot a pheasant.

WHOOOOOOOOOO CARES!?

This isn’t a post?! news?! what is this???????

11. jlana24 says: Jul 6, 2011 5:44 PM

who would of ever thought PFT would ever have to report on a magistrate judge’s vacation time??

END THIS THING FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

12. tommyf15 says: Jul 6, 2011 5:44 PM

stairwayto7 says:
    Where is he going to for his vacation?

Someplace nice, I hope.

13. minormillikin says: Jul 6, 2011 5:45 PM

Ok, enough of the downer stories today. Let me help.

I’m 99% sure that there will be a deal 30 minutes from now, and free agency will begin by Friday morning.

There, now for your next article:

ACCORDING TO PFT COMMENT: DEAL WILL BE DONE IN 30 MINUTES!

You’re welcome.

14. illwillthemick says: Jul 6, 2011 5:48 PM

this whole thing is the bigggest most pathetic joke i have ever seen.. i think they keep saying “things can get done” just to shut the fans up.. i think its time for us “the fans” to whoop some rich people arse.

15. citizenstrange says: Jul 6, 2011 5:50 PM

Here is where it gets tricky because in addition to the judge’s vacation in July they also will have to work around:

July 11 – World Population Day
    July 14 – Bastille Day
    July 17 – National Ice Cream Day
    July 20 – Moon Day
    July 21 – National Junk Food Day
    July 24 – Amelia Earhart Day
    July 26 – Aunt And Uncle Day
    July 29 – National Lasagna Day
    July 30 – Father-in-Law Day

And who knows how many lawer sick days and clerk personal days on and on.

God forbid anybody should take this thing seriously and ever work more than one or two days in a row.

16. gregjennings85 says: Jul 6, 2011 5:51 PM

I. Have. No. More. Words. For. This.

I JUST WANT FOOTBALL BACK.

17. toocooljoecool says: Jul 6, 2011 5:52 PM

So either a deal will be done by the end of friday, or we are going to miss the hall of fame game and still be waiting

18. irchs1963 says: Jul 6, 2011 5:53 PM

I agree with goindy2006….. “ Finish this now !!! ” At this point, the words to express my feelings for both the Owners & Players, such as ‘detestable’ and ‘odious’, are not strong enough !!!

19. 2011to2020lions says: Jul 6, 2011 5:56 PM

This tells me the deal is all but done, I expect to hear some very good news by Friday night

20. baltimorebean says: Jul 6, 2011 5:57 PM

I’m so sick of hearing about this. YOU PEOPLE HAVE HAD 2 YEARS!!! Quit acting like this CBA issue came out of nowhere after the season ended. The economy is crap, natural disasters everywhere, wars everywhere, jobs nowhere, and you are going to screw all the fans that have given you their hard earned money out of football. The NFL will not get another dime from me. Greedy little children.

21. tommyf15 says: Jul 6, 2011 5:58 PM

pacificnw7722 says:
    Delay that stinkin’ vacation Judge and GET BACK TO WORK!!

No way. It’s not his problem.

The NFL and NFLPA have been going at it for 17 weeks, and this guy has to screw his own and his family’s getaway plans to accommodate those people?

I certainly wouldn’t do that to my family- would you?

Plus Boylan cancelling would set a bad precedent for every arbitrator in the field.

22. cincinnasti says: Jul 6, 2011 6:01 PM

I think they’re doing it backwards.. They’re negotiating all the easy stuff now and the “implosion” is coming when revenue is the only thing left to negotiate..

23. laeaglefan says: Jul 6, 2011 6:04 PM

NOBODY involved in this mess should be taking any vacations until an agreement is reached. What’s wrong with these people, anyway? Its ridiculous!

24. seabreezes51 says: Jul 6, 2011 6:13 PM

My son bought season tix for us for the Hartford Colonials.
    Go!!!! uhhhh.. Colonials????

25. bangthedrum22 says: Jul 6, 2011 6:23 PM

stairwayto7 says:Jul 6, 2011 5:36 PM

Where is he going to for his vacation?

————-
    He is going to L.A he wants to get as far away from the NFL as possible

26. schemefactory says: Jul 6, 2011 6:26 PM

i hope the owners are happy. wait, i meant ROBBED and LOOTED by the players! screw those rich b holes.

27. hedleykow says: Jul 6, 2011 6:26 PM

Is he actually going on a vacation, or will he spend his time off like the losers who follow this website do, sprawled out on the couch playing Madden 2011 and kicking empty beer cans out of the way?

28. jefferee101 says: Jul 6, 2011 6:30 PM

The NFL should ask the NHL how their “lockout” helped their sport? Both sides are greedy for the best deal, but rest assured, if a season is even delayed both sides will be taking less money than last year. And if they forfeit the season, their days of prosperity will be numbered.

Its funny how quickly people realize there is life after sports, yes, even football.

29. nfl25 says: Jul 6, 2011 6:31 PM

what i love is if we fans could negotiate the deal ourselves, we would work our normal 9-6 jobs and then we would go and work on the deal until 2 in the morning and do that everyday till the deal is done. No vacations no weekends off. But these guys that are gonna make millions, are taking their good old time.

try not to work too hard guys, its only billions of dollars

30. nfl25 says: Jul 6, 2011 6:33 PM

maybe Jose Baez can step in for this guy. apparently he can work miracles.

31. hobartbaker says: Jul 6, 2011 6:38 PM

Arthur will come back refreshed after fishing sharks off the Great Barrier Reef with a spear gun, followed by a ten day drunken sex tour in Amsterdam.

32. djaehne says: Jul 6, 2011 6:39 PM

Only four teams are relivant and my fav isn’t one of them, so take the next twelve months off.
    Both sides need to be taken down several pegs so
    stay pissed at each other for as long as you can.

33. philshady25 says: Jul 6, 2011 6:41 PM

Why do you know this?

34. vetdana says: Jul 6, 2011 6:43 PM

We are now 115 days into this mess & neither side has shown any sense of urgency ! We are at criticle mass now, and looking at a 200 million dollar loss per pre season game not played.The eternal optimists on this site, still maintain that everything is a ok & we will have NFL football this season. It is time now to be realistic in our prognostications…..Things are going to get UGLY from here on out, if no deal is announced this week !

35. clblay78 says: Jul 6, 2011 6:50 PM

Today’s work was concerning the details about free agency and training camps. The goal is to finish before the weekend, but the powers that be are said to be working through the weekend to get it done.

Thumbs up for a deal by Monday
    Thumbs down for no deal by Monday

36. ICDogg says: Jul 6, 2011 6:58 PM

I hope it rains the whole time wherever he is going.

37. elleclouds says: Jul 6, 2011 7:18 PM

“The time for talking about working hard is over. If the NFL and the players intend to save the preseason and the cash that comes from it, they need to truly work hard.”

The way they’re bickering over billions of dollars shows me that none of these guys know what “hardwork” really means.

38. therevdewitt says: Jul 6, 2011 7:43 PM

Judging from the picture, U.S. Magistrate Judge Arthur Boylan sure looks like a nice kinda fella. I’m picturing him in an Acapulco shirt and a straw hat now. Sunglasses.

That’s all I got for you people.

39. schemefactory says: Jul 6, 2011 7:47 PM

djaehne says: Jul 6, 2011 6:39 PM

Both sides need to be taken down several pegs so
    stay pissed at each other for as long as you can.
    ———————————————————————-
    really?!? four?! tell us which ones! it would be at least eighty-times more interesting than most of these stories. a guy is going on vacation in the middle of summer. wow.

40. andythesilverandblacknation says: Jul 6, 2011 7:47 PM

Time to Rage!

41. eagiants says: Jul 6, 2011 7:49 PM

I’m just about at my limit with all of this. The NFL is on the verge of losing their fans.

42. bvolke says: Jul 6, 2011 7:51 PM

So, let me get this straight. The livelihoods of thousands of people, a billion dollar business, the collective sanity of fans everwhere, the entire fantasy football business structure which is said to be over a billion dollars, as well as merchandising, television rights and everything is all dependent upon…..ONE MAN’S VACATION?!?!?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!? GUESS WHAT BUDDY, YOU DON’T GET A VACATION WHEN THAT MUCH DEPENDS ON YOU!!!

43. deegizzle says: Jul 6, 2011 8:14 PM

So the lawyers have met by themselves this week drafting a deal, the negotiating teams for the league and the players are set to join tomorrow, and the mediator is going on vacation Saturday.

The simplest explanation is usually the correct one…I think we’re about to have a deal!

44. purpleman527 says: Jul 6, 2011 8:15 PM

FYI………

A deal isn’t that close.

But my sources tell me that De Smith has a dinner date Friday at 4pm. If the deal isn’t done by the time De has dinner, the world will end. So everybody better work hard to get a deal done by Friday at 4pm. That way a deal will be done before the world ends.

If the deal doesn’t get done and the world ends, I’m not watching any NFL this year. I will boycott the NFL. Everyone else should to.

45. majbobby says: Jul 6, 2011 8:25 PM

Thank you NFL. You made my decision on what to do with my disposable income much easier. If I miss one preseason game the NFL (Not For Long) will not be mentioned in my house. I will get my football fix on Friday Nights and Saturday afternoons.

46. bradwins says: Jul 6, 2011 8:40 PM

I’m an attorney, and so I recognize the propensity of attorneys, judges, etc. to go on vacation regardless of what is going on in their professional lives. From one perspective, there is always something going on, so if you waited until you had an empty calender you’d never get away.

BUT, this isn’t a situation where the guy would postpone his trip? I’m sorry. Maybe I’m just too big of a football fan for my own good (my girlfriend: “duh”), but there is NO WAY I would go on vacation if my doing so could realistically impact whether there will be a football season or not. Not a chance. I could not live with myself if I got off a plane, checked by phone and learned that things blew up while I was cruising at 3500 feet over the Pacific Ocean.

47. tommyf15 says: Jul 6, 2011 8:45 PM

purpleman527 says:

If the world ends it’s unlikely I’ll be watching very much of anything.

48. easyeddie says: Jul 6, 2011 8:57 PM

pacificnw7722 says:
    Jul 6, 2011 5:42 PM
    Delay that stinkin’ vacation Judge and GET BACK TO WORK!!
    ———————————————

Boylan has likely been the hardest worker in the room.
    Take your vacation, Boylan and let the fatcat owners and crybaby players wait for you!

49. easyeddie says: Jul 6, 2011 9:00 PM

0 i
    bvolke says:
    Jul 6, 2011 7:51 PM
    ————————————
    Sorry, but this is on the owners and players, not the mediator.

50. schemefactory says: Jul 6, 2011 9:09 PM

haaa even though you’re purple..

51. TIM says: Jul 6, 2011 9:14 PM

The owners have been saying all along that they don’t need any courts or any judges to get a deal done,all they need is a table and someone from the union who will sit at that table and not walk out and who is willing to actually try to negotiate a fair deal,for a change.
    So who cares if the Judge goes on vacation? What I care about is someone from the union with a clear head and no agenda of their own and some knowledge of the NFL (unlike Smith),to step up and be willing to compromise,like the owners have been willing to do for over 3 Months.
    Who needs a judge ? Have a nice vacation Mr Boylin !

52. scrapkingtb says: Jul 6, 2011 9:20 PM

Based on his photo above I am guessing his vacation is to:

a) star trek cruise
    b) have elective surgery to fix his droopy eyes

53. hatesycophants says: Jul 6, 2011 9:21 PM

Why is there a photograph of this guy? Not just attendant to an article (ostensibly) about him, but anywhere? Judges shouldn’t be “celebrities.” It’s goddamn July, folks. I am getting punchy.

54. laeaglefan says: Jul 6, 2011 9:26 PM

The court (or whoever assigned Boylan to this case) knew his schedule before they assigned him to it. They knew the case could drag on and on. Why couldn’t they have assigned someone else who didn’t have a vacation scheduled in the middle of all of this?

55. palinforpresidentofnorthkorea says: Jul 6, 2011 9:31 PM

The mediator should say, “Boys and Girls, we either have a done deal by Friday at 5:00 p.m. or I take the next year off. I still get paid. How about all of you?”

56. pftstory says: Jul 6, 2011 9:55 PM

I like how so many people are sick of hearing and reading about this, yet here you are on a website seeking out stories about it so you can hear and read about it. Then comment on it. Like you being sick of it makes a world of difference.

Now that list of other holiday’s and events they have to work around….That’s a beautiful comment.

The rest of you…if you are so upset with the day to day ‘news’ about the lockout, ignore them. The are only stories about what a reporter is guessing is happening. You are not missing ANY football. You probably do not watch the Hall of Fame game, and if you did could live without it. So get pissed in September, or maybe training camp when you actually are missing something.
    We all hate preseason games, but claim here we will cry is any are cancelled.
    Most people’s pain is BS. You are actually paying more attention to it in 2011 during May June and July then you had over the same period for the prior ten years plus combined.

57. pappysarcasm says: Jul 6, 2011 9:55 PM

Nate Davis, USA Today:

“But if Judge Arthur Boylan deems this process is unproductive, that’d ultimately be his hammer, turning around to the 8th Circuit and to Judge Doty and saying, ‘You know what, we’re not getting anywhere with this — go ahead and rule.’ ”

And if Boylan brings down the hammer/gavel?

“It could poison talks,” said Breer if rulings are rendered, presumably only if no CBA is struck by the end of next week, thus jeopardizing the preseason (and its revenue).

So he is basically sayng that Judge Boylan will hand the gavel to Doty and the 8th, and go on vacation. If that happens, all bets are off!

58. silverhornet says: Jul 6, 2011 10:07 PM

Don’t suppose the hotel reservations desk would give him a break on his deposit if they had to go into the weekend to get a deal done?

59. tunescribe says: Jul 6, 2011 10:38 PM

Face it: none of these people live in the real world. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Casey Anthony step in for Boylan during his absence.

60. supersuckers3 says: Jul 7, 2011 12:07 AM

That’s right sir..keep losing interested individuals one by one as evidenced by your Alexa rating decline of 40 percent the past 3 months.