CFT: “Very good chance” Mike Vrabel joins Ohio State staff

NFL And Players Resume Court Ordered Mediation Getty Images

The rumors that Mike Vrabel could join the Ohio State coaching staff have floated around for a while.

Vrabel indicated last month that it wasn’t time yet, but it appears he’s changed his mind. Our friend John Taylor at CollegeFootballTalk.com has the scoop, saying there is a “very good chance” Vrabel will take a defensive job on new coach Luke Fickell’s staff.

“One source stated that an announcement could made as early as this coming Monday,” Taylor writes.

Vrabel’s NFL career took him from a backup in Pittsburgh to a wisecracking core member of three title teams in New England.  It appears his “veteran mentor” years in Kansas City will close out his career before he heads back home for a new life in coaching.  Head to CFT for more.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
16 Responses to “CFT: “Very good chance” Mike Vrabel joins Ohio State staff”
  1. cletusvandam says: Jul 7, 2011 7:10 PM

The best part is he’s within driving distance of that casino in Indiana when he runs out of beer.

2. nepatriots128154 says: Jul 7, 2011 7:15 PM

Good luck Vrabel! Great player

3. timmytoad says: Jul 7, 2011 7:24 PM

More beers to steal in a college town. Good choice Mikey.

4. virusgvr says: Jul 7, 2011 7:34 PM

@cletusvandam… That is the funniest damn thing ever!!! I tried to get on here and post something like that, but I think your trumps them all!! Good one!

5. tommyf15 says: Jul 7, 2011 7:42 PM

Mike Vrabel is one of the named plaintiffs in the Brady anti-trust suit.

If he’s really retiring from the NFL and really taking a coaching job in the NFL, he has no incentive to drop the anti-trust suit, and neither the NFL nor the NFLPA would have any means to pressure him into dropping the suit.

Jeffrey Kessler may have his test case ready to go.

6. mac3333 says: Jul 7, 2011 7:48 PM

Excellent news. Vrabel has a nice assortment of rings to wear out on the recruiting trail. And I suspect he’s going to make an excellent LB coach with his 14 years of service.

7. riverhorsey says: Jul 7, 2011 8:34 PM

Vrabel’s not going anywhere yet he still has one good year left and a Super Bowl to win with Kansas City.

8. thetooloftools says: Jul 7, 2011 9:01 PM

I wish him well.

9. Deb says: Jul 7, 2011 9:59 PM

tommyf15 says:

Mike Vrabel is one of the named plaintiffs in the Brady anti-trust suit. If he’s really retiring from the NFL … he has no incentive to drop the anti-trust suit … Kessler may have his test case …
    ********************

Usually like your posts, but if you’re serious, you’re dreaming. First, Vrabel would likely want to coach in the NFL one day. Second, he wouldn’t go against the wishes of his fellow players. And the majority of players don’t want to pursue the anti-trust angle–they just want a fair CBA.

If Vrabel is half as good a coach as he’s been a linebacker, he’ll have a great career.

10. bigdawg24 says: Jul 7, 2011 11:30 PM

Good move. He’s too slow. Todd Heap tore him up in the playoff game.

Great football mind – the will is there – but the body is wore out.

11. dustydinkleman says: Jul 7, 2011 11:45 PM

Vrabel and head coach Luke Fickell both played on the same defense from 93-96. They are apparently close friends so I see a possibility this could be true.

12. tommyf15 says: Jul 8, 2011 12:30 AM

Deb says:

Deb, I enjoy your posts as well.

In all honesty I don’t think there will ever be a “fair” CBA offer anywhere near the table that is more beneficial to the players than a free market, whether the majority players realize it or not.

As far as Vrabel damaging his NFL coaching prospects long term, I doubt it. Joe Torre, Ted Simmons, Larry Dierker and many others were MLB pro-union radicals went on to become managers or front-office big wigs.

History shows us that a pronounced long-term grudge never stands,

13. rooneyruleblues says: Jul 8, 2011 1:22 AM

Perfect fit. Maybe he can teach them how to cheat without getting caught?

14. ytsejamer1 says: Jul 8, 2011 10:33 AM

Vrabel has been one of the smartest players to ever play the LB position for Belichick and he was bold enough to call the coaches out when something wasn’t working right…or to simply make some sarcastic remarks to BB because he could.

If he can apply his knowledge and relay that well to younger players, I think he’ll be a very very good coach.

15. CKL says: Jul 8, 2011 10:35 AM

@ Deb
    I could be wrong but I don’t think Vrabes wants to coach in the NFL. He’s long talked about wanting to coach @ his alma mater and I don’t think it’s as a stepping stone, or at least I don’t think that’s his current mindset.

@ tommyf15

Of course a CBA won’t be close to a free market system but….I really haven’t seen one comment from any player that this lawsuit’s end game is their actual desire to pursue. I’m with the others who stated it’s MAINLY a leverage thing. I think most players love the game and love to win and I am not convinced that in this case a free market system would serve that desire best for MOST players.

16. Deb says: Jul 8, 2011 2:18 PM

@CKL …

I doubt Vrabel is thinking about coaching in the NFL at this point. But given what a great pro career he’s had, if he succeeds at the NCAA level, I’d be surprised if he didn’t want to try his hand at the pros at some point.

@tommyf15 …

You’re right about grudges, but I question whether a free market would be utopia for all players or just those in the upper echelon. At any rate, the majority of players don’t see that as being in their best interest and I don’t think Vrabel would go against their wishes. (Again I am struck by the irony that so many accusing you of “socialist” motives are actually themselves lobbying against a true free-market system ;) )