Face-to-face labor talks off until Monday at the earliest

NFL Labor Football AP

We heard earlier this week that labor negotiations may continue into the weekend depending on how they go.  It turns out this weekend will be like every weekend since February: No face-to-face talks will take place.

NFL Network’s Albert Breer reports no talks will take place until Monday “at the earliest.”  Mediator Arthur Boylan heads on vacation this weekend.  Other communications and legal drafting will continue like last weekend.

Mark Maske of the Washington Post confirmed Breer’s earlier report that progress slowed Friday.  It’s unclear whether it was related to the decision from the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals Friday, but there is reason to believe that has complicated things.  Breer described the last two days as “frustrating” for those involved.

Maske remains optimistic: “Talks aren’t derailed. An agreement in principle next week remains well within reach.”

We’re going to hear that this is all part of the process, and that’s true.  But the entire lockout is a short-sighted process fueled by greed that takes NFL fans for granted.  So you can’t blame fans for A) following closely and B) getting upset over the uncertainty.

We’ll say it again:  No one knows for sure.  The people in the room don’t know. If they did, there would already be a deal or they’d be putting the finishing touches on it this weekend.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
52 Responses to “Face-to-face labor talks off until Monday at the earliest”
  1. trbowman says: Jul 8, 2011 7:50 PM

Well, I’m done. See you later PFT planet….or not.

2. 7370355q says: Jul 8, 2011 7:54 PM

For those who are upset, remember, “It’s always darkest before the dawn.” July 15th has always been an internal deadline for when a deal should be reached.

3. jetfaninla says: Jul 8, 2011 7:54 PM

The lawyers did their jobs, but the players and owners failed to do so. Seriously, they should tell the lawyers, “Get the deal done, and here are your parameters. If you don’t get a deal done by Wednesday, we’re suing you for malpractice.” Something like that could be the best way to get a deal done, because there may just be too much anger between the players and owners right now (which also good be a good thing to take a break for the weekend).

4. Soulman45 says: Jul 8, 2011 7:55 PM

These lawyers must get paid time and half on Saturday and double time on Sunday.

Where is my feel good Friday article to last me though the weekend?

5. toocooljoecool says: Jul 8, 2011 7:57 PM

Of course, they put in there two days of negotiating in for the week…

6. shian11 says: Jul 8, 2011 7:58 PM

Is this a new story or do you just keep reporting the same one. I thought they were on the 5 yard line. Who the hell called a time-out!!! Get it done already, your like to 5 year olds fighting over the same toy!!!!

7. ccad05 says: Jul 8, 2011 7:59 PM

Hmmmm….wish I could only work one or two days a week and tell everyone how hard I work

8. scott8nj says: Jul 8, 2011 8:04 PM

They take a 3 day weekend last weekend, Goodell & the players don’t come back until Thursday, then after 2 days they knock off for the weekend again. Their actions are not putting forth the message that they really want to get this thing done.

9. realitypolice says: Jul 8, 2011 8:07 PM

If you think it through, doesn’t the fact that they are keeping to their routine serve as a sign that they aren’t worried about anything derailing getting this done on time?

Don’t you think if they believed that their deadlines were in jeopardy they would adjust their schedule?

The problem is that fans act like they are the only ones that care about saving the season. The owners and players have far more on the line here than you do.

There is a target date that both sides know and are comfortable with, and they know they can get there by following their schedule of face-to-face during the week, “communications and legal drafting”, as you put it, on the weekends.

If you analyze it impartially, and not hysterically, I don’t see how you could conclude otherwise.

But by all means, chicken little, stay right there on that ledge.

10. cowboysfan18 says: Jul 8, 2011 8:09 PM

I’m working through the weekend. They should try it. They might find its more peaceful than during the week. Nah, who am I kidding, they’re too impotent, uh I mean important, to do that.

11. buzzz84 says: Jul 8, 2011 8:09 PM

Fantasy college football anyone?

12. hedleykow says: Jul 8, 2011 8:09 PM

This news is so stunning that even RealityPolice probably hyperventilated a little when he read the headline.

13. bvolke says: Jul 8, 2011 8:09 PM

So much for being committed to working out a deal. They can’t wait
    To start their vacations before there’s a deal.

14. ronnie89 says: Jul 8, 2011 8:13 PM

Good job on pushing your fans away NFL!! Why should we even support you now???

15. illwillthemick says: Jul 8, 2011 8:13 PM

so to get work done they must NOT work.. great logic.. more patheticness.. what else can be said at this point..

16. footballfan1 says: Jul 8, 2011 8:15 PM

The owners and the players will be returning Tuesday or Wednesday according to Albert Breer. Apparently these guys are only willing to work 2 or 3 days a week to get this 9 Billion dollar deal done. They don’t care about the fans who are the ones creating that 9 Billion dollar revenue. Get the deal done!

17. downsouth49er says: Jul 8, 2011 8:17 PM

These guys are clowns who probably sit on those meetings all day and make ballon animals!! Screw this labor mess, I’m officially done!! Someone needs to start a petition to boycott the preseason games and opening day games if they happen.

18. goawayeverybody says: Jul 8, 2011 8:22 PM

Sigh. Monday is July 11th. I doubt a deal can get hammered out in 4 days to beat the deadline. Preseason games will be missed, therefore because that revenue is already lost, there will be no incentive to get a deal done in a hurry.

#$%#@$^#$$%!@#$!#@$#%^%^!!!!

19. bearsnoah says: Jul 8, 2011 8:24 PM

Do the right thing for your customers, your investors….THE FANS.

Get it done.

20. namesnotneeded says: Jul 8, 2011 8:26 PM

So when they said they were on the “5 yard line”, could they have possibly meant their own 5 yard line?

21. eagiants says: Jul 8, 2011 8:27 PM

These guys are actually dumber than I thought. I can’t wait for the next post with a quote from Goodell saying how hard they’re working.

Goodbye for now NFL. See you in a few months.

22. derekjetersmansion says: Jul 8, 2011 8:29 PM

EVERYONE who is on this site will be watching Week 1 like this never happened. Don’t kid yourself.

23. realitypolice says: Jul 8, 2011 8:29 PM

I love all the people on here who think because the two sides aren’t actually sitting in the same room together they aren’t working.

The people saying that the two sides are only working a couple of days a week are hilarious. That’s like saying that during the season, the players only work 3 hours a week.

Wait…..you probably believe that, too.

You do realize there is more to putting together complex business deals than face to face negotiation, right?

It’s fascinating how people here have such violent reactions to every little development.

24. realitypolice says: Jul 8, 2011 8:39 PM

hedleykow says:
    Jul 8, 2011 8:09 PM
    =========

I’m having a hard time determining whether that was a shot at me.

Nah, I’ll take it as a compliment.

25. edrouse says: Jul 8, 2011 8:41 PM

NFL…R.I.P.

26. lostsok says: Jul 8, 2011 8:41 PM

It’s funny how many times I see the same people who are so fed up with this mess that they take the time to post “I’m done!” (until the next time they post).

Put on some diapers you freakin’ babies.

“I’m officially done!”

Yeah. Whatever. Then stop wasting every one else’s time with your whining!

27. gregwestlake says: Jul 8, 2011 8:43 PM

When can the fans go on lockout from the NFL?

28. rambo08 says: Jul 8, 2011 8:49 PM

I’d love to see Goodell and Co. try and live a day in the life of an average American. They’d be begging to come back to their normal lifestyle within two hours.

29. terminatorlikesmaids says: Jul 8, 2011 8:54 PM

Look for this thing to grind to a complete halt next week. Owners will decide to forgo preseason income, to allow these delusional players to see what kind of financial climate exists. They will lose in the short term, with long term gains. These guys are money smart, and the players will be way out of their league once they start missing game checks. It will take about 4 weeks of missing game checks, and they will be scrambling not to lose ground. Count on it, the Owners are ready to play hardball. Football will return to normalcy in March 2012, and we will all be there waiting. Yes you will. The Owners will sacrifice the 2011 season, and salvage what they can. See you in 2012, at the NFL Draft.

30. purpleman527 says: Jul 8, 2011 8:55 PM

Hmmmmm….

You mean all the optimism crap, the 5 yard line BS, a deal before the mediator takes a vacation didn’t work out?

Don’t worry.

Next week there will be another week of the same old optimism garbage with self made deadlines and reasons as to why a “deal is close”.

Just like it has happened week in and week out since effing MARCH !!!!

The Finger is about to do his thing.

And there will be no NFL in 2011. Why can’t you just accept reality?

31. bobbyd12 says: Jul 8, 2011 8:57 PM

Did anybody really believe that the 8th Circuit Court’s Ruling would have no effect on negotiations? This gave the owners some leverage here. The owners need to get 24 teams to vote for this deal. The smaller team owners are not going to take a deal like last time. July 15th? Sorry, not gonna happen. In fact, I believe a ruling will have to come down on the TV revenue before there is significant movement now. Add in the fact it is to the “benefit” to the veterans to not have PreSeason games, I see nothing seriously happening till August, at the earliest.

32. hedleykow says: Jul 8, 2011 9:12 PM

@ realitypolice

No shots — only thumbs up from me. You are probably right on the mark with your chicken little theory. And if not, you can always go underground until your predictions are long forgotten. LOL

33. denverdude7 says: Jul 8, 2011 9:13 PM

OK. Enough is enough.
    Just break off all negotiations until July 2012.
    Kill the 2011 season.

Maybe it will break the spell and we will stop building the NFL, MLB & NBA multi-million dollar palaces while our childrens education continues to slide, people go jobless for years, and our infrastructure crumbles around our ears.

Here’s a truely valid point for negotiation: How about holding $5 from every ticket sold and $1 from every beer sold for 25 years to finance the next new palace? Oh, my bad, we couldn’t have that, it actually makes sense.

34. hobartbaker says: Jul 8, 2011 9:18 PM

At some point during the week the face-to-face talks became in yo’ face-to-in yo’ face talks.

35. realitypolice says: Jul 8, 2011 9:20 PM

hedleykow says:
    Jul 8, 2011 9:12 PM
    @ realitypolice

=========================

I wish. If I’m wrong about this, I’m screwed.

The backlash from me being wrong about this will make the backlash from my “Mike Vick will never be a starter in the NFL again” prediction look like a picnic.

But just like I was then, I’ll here to take it if I’m wrong.

36. downsouth49er says: Jul 8, 2011 9:26 PM

Lostsok is a loser, quit wasting your own time by reading the comments, fool!!!!

37. silverhornet says: Jul 8, 2011 9:33 PM

Time to rise up and be counted!

38. jrs1972 says: Jul 8, 2011 10:00 PM

Im starting to root for no nfl this year just so they can all get a reality check by losing billions neither side can take a chunk of. Greedy little bitches, all of them.

39. easyeddie says: Jul 8, 2011 10:10 PM

What kind of business shows this kind of blatant contempt for it customers? Businesses I patronize that do so lose my business — often for good.
    I don’t think owners or players understand how pissed so many of us are. A pox on both their houses, I’m f’ing tired of this charade.

40. realitypolice says: Jul 8, 2011 10:39 PM

easyeddie says:
    Jul 8, 2011 10:10 PM
    ===================

What contempt have they shown you?

They’ve taken nothing away from you- unless you’re a big mini-camp fan.

If a business you patronized was having a labor dispute- but their product was still available when it was supposed to be and was of the same quality as it usually was, would they be showing you contempt?

I really don’t understand the victim mentality of so many fans- what am I missing?

41. vetdana says: Jul 8, 2011 10:58 PM

I think there is a deadlock on the revenue split. Add to that todays court decision, which reinforces the Owners leverage, and we have an ominous situation developing. I look for the Owners to freeze out the players, at least through the pre season games, hoping they well crack. If the players are more resolved than I give them credit, we may lose the season and alot of fans who have had more than enough. At any rate, things are going to get really ugly starting next week !

42. reillyb1 says: Jul 8, 2011 11:16 PM

Hey NFL and NFLPA, do you mind turning the lights off?

I like it dark when I’m getting ****ed

43. easyeddie says: Jul 8, 2011 11:28 PM

realitypolice says:
    Jul 8, 2011 10:39 PM

What contempt have they shown you?

They’ve taken nothing away from you- unless you’re a big mini-camp fan.

_______________________________
    What contempt? What are you missing?

Their product may very well be unavailable if the season is scraped and even if it isn’t it may very well not be of the normal quality.

I don’t care about the fact they’re having a labor dispute — I’m talking about all the condescending hot air they spew about “the fans”and “working together for the good of the game” BS.

44. realitypolice says: Jul 9, 2011 12:10 AM

vetdana says:
    Jul 8, 2011 10:58 PM
    =================================

Not a shred of evidence, other than third party reports that “little” progress was made today, to support anything in this post, yet it gets only “thumbs up”.

Why does everyone want to believe the worst?

Why should anyone believe that “things are going to get really ugly starting next week”?

There is absolutely NO evidence to support that opinion, yet so many of you soak it up like it’s Gospel.

What the h** is going on here? Are you people so trampled down by life that you expect the worst?

Again, for the thousandth time- you have lost NOTHING. You are months away from losing ANYTHING. You are not a victim. No one is screwing you, no one is depriving you of anything.

Any objective review of the facts at hand would support only one position- that this will be resolved in time for training camps to open on schedule.

Yet the quickest way to get scorn heaped upon you is to express this logical opinion, and the quickest way to get admiration is to whine about the worst case scenario.

Pathetic.

45. reillyb1 says: Jul 9, 2011 12:18 AM

^ Love it when people whine about others whining. Also, what about others’ discontent makes you so angry?

46. realitypolice says: Jul 9, 2011 12:40 AM

reillyb1 says:
    Jul 9, 2011 12:18 AM
    ======================

Good post. I am getting carried away, and as a result my point is getting lost.

I am not angry. I am frustrated because while I sit here with sportscenter on my TV in the background reporting live that there are more signs than ever that this deal will be done next week, I have to come on what is typically my favorite forum for football talk and be confronted with all of this uninformed angst.

I guess I just see underlying currents of animosity toward athletes and rich owners that supersede what is actually going on here, and that disappoints me.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I am going to back off and let everyone have their last few days of fretting over a sky that really isn’t, and never was, falling.

47. jlanger21 says: Jul 9, 2011 12:47 AM

realitypolice:

Quitting lecturing fans about something you obviously know nothing about. Every NFL fan that is a part of the 9 billion revenue has a right to complain about the current lockout.

And as for the fans not losing anything so far…THE PRODUCT IS BEING DAMAGED MORE AND MORE EVERY DAY YOU IDIOT!

Do you honestly believe NFL players will be as sharp as in years past?!

Do you think for a second free agents or rookies will have an immediate impact like in years past?

What about all of the undrafted college players who now realistically will probably not be able to make an NFL roster?

Do you think teams with new coaches or coordinators will be “just fine” even though they have not been able to meet with their players?

What about teams that needed a whole offseason to try and improve their team through free agency?

When are all of the draft choices going to get signed? (God knows that is a process when there isn’t a lockout)

What about towns that have already lost the right to host NFL training camps and will now lose millions as a result?

NFL fans have every right in the world to criticize and question what is going on between the NFL and NFLPA. What you don’t have the right to do is criticize and question fans about something you know nothing about.

48. tmaczoozoo says: Jul 9, 2011 2:56 AM

Yay.

49. lakedog19352 says: Jul 9, 2011 4:23 AM

They have just about lost me for good. Thus far i have cancelled my Sunday Ticket and took myself out of both fantasy leagues that i am in. The final step is to stop watching my Cowboys, which will come July 16th if no deal gets done by then…

50. dave1961 says: Jul 9, 2011 8:12 AM

It was nice to see that the entitled players and the greedy owners couldn’t work through a holiday weekend to get an agreement.

Yet this same makeup of billionaires make average folks work holidays year round. Real tired of billionaire tax breaks while governors try to take away working family collective bargaining powers. I didn’t see one football player or billion owner go in to a building on 911 to try to save anyone.

Tom Brady supports those republican governors who are stripping fire fighters of benefits, yet he runs to Minnesota and files a lawsuit to protect his collective bargaining rights. Brady is a jackass.

51. vetdana says: Jul 9, 2011 9:22 AM

to jlanger 21…Bravo…you are quite correct. I would add….what about all those people who work for the League, clubs,manufacturers and business concerns, who rely on the NFL for all, or the majority of their business, and have had hours cut drastically or been layed off entirely ? The damage in lost business and wages is Right Now….in the millions of dollars !! Mad, Frustrated….You bet we are…because None of this had to happen !!! Greed is UglyBusiness !!!

52. vetdana says: Jul 9, 2011 9:41 AM

realitypolice:

The only thing ” Pathetic” is your thumbs down numbers… in the court of public opinion, and your complete misunderstanding of the collateral damage that has already been done.